Dinner - The Polyphonic Food Blog

JPW

It's Thursday. The housecleaners were here today. We don't want to mess up the stove so quickly. So, salad. And another of the treats from the H Mart expedition - frozen buns.

The label says "Xi'an FamousZhu's Recipe Pork Buns." They were good. Quite good. We ate them with some dumpling sauce, also from the H Mart expedition. He also had some Zhong Sauce that I gave him for Christmas with the buns - it was too spicy for me, but he LOVED it. 

So, they were good, easy, and did not make a mess. The boy's only comment was that he wished there was a little more filling, but I find that always a thing with steamed buns, so it did not surprise me.

• Like 1

Those pork buns do sound good.

Tonight was simple but enjoyable.  Earlier in the week, I thought we had a rack of ribs in the freezer and asked my husband to get it out to defrost.  I was getting ready to marinate the defrosted ribs when I realized that it was actually a massive slab of pork belly.  So, marinated in lime juice, garlic and salt and left it to hang out uncovered in the fridge until I roasted it last night.  I was reminded of just how good the pork belly is from this vendor.  I sliced a bit of that up for dinner tonight.  I had some Chinese broccoli that I bought pre-surgery and haven't been able to eat until this week.  I roasted that in the oven and got out a packet of spicy seafood udon to boil up.  Tossed the pork belly and Chinese broccoli in with the noodles and pronounced it done. 

• Like 3

On 2/23/2022 at 6:45 PM, saf said:

Perhaps dinner company with a sundae bar for dessert?

At some point I suppose we should have people over again, but it has been a very long time. Meanwhile, I'll try to remind my husband the ice cream is there so he can at least eat it.

Wednesday was sourdough bread and butter, a pork tenderloin wrapped in prosciutto done in the air fryer, and jalapeno mac and cheese. Thursday was more of the bread and leftover steak and noodles.

Last night was leftover salmon croquettes w/ranch; baked chicken thighs; and leftover mac and cheese + green beans

Tonight will be some kind of salad, asparagus - prosciutto bundles, leftover pork tenderloin, and a kale - sunchoke danish from Souk.

• Like 3

Saturday we had folks over for dinner and games. So, apps were an odd assortment of snacks - again, that H Mart run! Then salad, twice baked potatoes, glazed carrots (With bourbon barrel aged maple syrup), and mahogany short ribs. All delicious, but the short ribs took an hour longer than intended. Next time I will make them the day before and reheat. For dessert, fernet ice cream with candied sour cherries and chocolate angel food cake. (If you make a lot of ice cream, you eventually need to use up a LOT of egg whites.)

All went over very well.

• Like 3

Monday was salad, followed by sheet pan sausage and pineapple. Very tasty.

Tuesday was salad, followed by French Onion Soup. So good. I love French Onion Soup. More fernet ice cream and chocolate angel food cake.

Tonight was salad, followed by cauliflower mac and cheese. Also very tasty. This goes into the rotation. Soon, the end of the fernet ice cream and chocolate angel food cake.

• Like 1

Tonight was, as ever, salad. Then, it was the boy's night to cook. So, risotto with chestnut mushrooms, fennel, and shallots. A bit of truffle oil on top. It was good. And now we need to decide what to do with a bit of leftover risotto.

• Like 2

As ever, salad. BUT! This weather! So the boy declared it grill day. And there was beer can chicken and grilled carrots. Also, biscuits. 

Later, David Lebovitz's Tin Roof ice cream, with sugar cone pizzelle from "Dorie's Cookies."

• Like 3

I experimented using some sauce from a jar and some things of my own to create a pretty credible dish I have called tikka masala meatballs.

The meatballs, from beef, contained ginger garlic onion and some madras curry powder. I wish I had thought to blend in some coriander chutney. After I form them, I bake them in a 375° oven until they were a bit springy.

I used ghee to cook down some carrots, onion, red peppers, ginger and garlic, and then added a little bit of commercial vindaloo paste, water, tomato paste, some hot curry powder, and a half a jar of tikka masala sauce from Aldi. 

After that reduced a bit, I added in the meatballs and the drippings, and a couple of big handfuls of spinach. I let it all simmer for about 40 minutes. 

i served it with basmati rice. I want to experiment with this again, maybe next time adding a bit of coconut milk and using chicken or turkey meatballs instead of beef. 

• Like 4

Grilling a whole chicken makes meals easier for the rest of the week.

Monday was taquito night. With guacamole, of course. My favorites! Oh, and salad.

Last night was jambalaya with chicken and sausage. Didn't have the cajun sausage, but I had garlic kielbasa. And that worked well. (Kielbasa Factory calls it "Wedding Kielbasa." I sometimes wonder if they really serve garlic kielbasa at weddings.) Also, salad.

Oh, and ice cream and pizelle too.

• Like 2

This topic is one of the most popular topics on the board, if not the most popular, since inception, and was started by one of the original handful of members, JPW.

I'm sorry to post that after a long and brutal battle with cancer, and one final sip of Patricia Green Pinot Noir, JPW passed away yesterday. He leaves behind an amazing wife and two teen daughters. The world is a smaller place today.

Fuck Cancer.

• Sad 11

I had some spicy homemade chicken stock in the freezer and it became tortilla soup. It was a great way to use up some aging carrots, zucchini, and half a can of RoTel tomatoes. unfortunately, the avocado wasn’t ripe enough to be used as a garnish. 

• Like 2

So behind. Oh well. There has been the usual assortment of salads, freezer stuff, and a few new recipes.

I need to remember what I did to this pork peanut thing! It was good. I started with that recipe, replaced the veg with a bag of broccoli slaw, and the cilantro with basil. Served it with rice sticks. Very good.

Had folks over for dinner and games last weekend. Chicken tajine on couscous with Moroccan carrot salad was delicious. Also made lemon blueberry pound cake and buttermilk ice cream with a blueberry swirl that took us through last night for desserts.

Had some leftover smoked chicken thighs in the freezer from a trip to Quarry House. Pulled the meat, sauteed mushrooms and onions and garlic, tossed in the chicken, sprinkled with Penzey's Krakow Nights mix, added cream and sour cream to make a sauce. Served over egg noodles. A regular recipe here but the smoked chicken really added to it.

Tonight is a freezer night. With this weather, I think soup. Better go look and see what we have. But I know there will be salad!

• Like 2

Another week, another chance to forget what we made. I know there was salad every night.

Last night we discovered that corn chowder, even without the dairy added, does not freeze well. The potatoes fell apart. Still tasted good though.

I made deep dish sausage and mushroom white pizza one night. That was good. Still perfecting the crust. It likes to rise too big around the edges.

We ate artichoke dip for dinner one night - an occasional indulgence that is quite fun, but so rich. Luckily, salad!

Fettuccini Alfredo with chicken and mushrooms.

Sunday, the boy grilled dry rubbed chicken thighs and carrots. Also had some English muffins.

So, a basic week with decent food. 

• Like 1

I've been curious to give soy curls a try so picked some up on Amazon and made this on Thursday night: https://thefoodietakesflight.com/vegan-beef-chow-fun/  I had leftovers of it for lunch today and pretty happy w/ it as a tasty meal. 

Last night I wanted ramen, so hard boiled some eggs then I got some thin pork belly slices out of the freezer and sauteed in the Instant Pot before adding some cut up carrots, garlic and ginger.  Sauteed a bit longer, then added chicken broth, a can of coconut milk, cut up garlic chives, red miso and some fish balls.  Pressure cooked it for 20 min, then added 2 packs of ramen noodles and called it dinner.  Cut up and egg, added some bean sprouts and that was dinner.  I think the pork belly could have used some more searing, but it satisfied my craving.

• Like 2

Last night was the return of the meat/broccoli slaw mix/peanut butter thing with rice noodles too. This time, with leftover chicken. Still good. Still easy. Still holds well for lunches.  Also, salad.

Tonight, I had a steamed artichoke, with melted butter for dipping. He had shrimp and orzo. (I hate shrimp. He hates steamed artichokes. It works well.) Also, salad.

Also, I had some leftover fudge ripple, and have a lot of cherries in the freezer. So I candied some cherries, and made some vanilla ice cream, stirred in the cherries, swirled it with the fudge ripple, and now we have a very nice cherry fudge ripple ice cream for desserts this week.

• Like 1

We celebrated a friend’s birthday on Monday with lobster and pea risotto over roasted asparagus. The lobster meat that I buy from Wild Fork is consistently high-quality, but it has gotten expensive! 
The evening began with a big crudités  platter with homemade hummus and onion dip, and a bottle of Prosecco. One of my guests brought a flourless chocolate cake, which was gorgeous, but way too rich for me. Decadent and delicious on a Monday!

• Like 3

After a bit of traveling, and more than a bit of eating out, I’m trying to eat in more this week. I made a stirfry of all of the random vegetables in the refrigerator and served it alongside salmon that I roasted with a combination of maple syrup and chili crisp, which works surprisingly well together. 

3 hours ago, Katya4me said:

The other night I was feeling hungry but not wanting to really exert myself to make a real meal and this came to the rescue: https://www.washingtonpost.com/food/2022/04/10/sesame-chile-oil-noodles-recipe/  

I'd originally thought about adding a protein to it, but ended up leaving it as just noodles and sauce, and it was delicious.    

I made this too!  I did add shredded chicken thighs and cucumber strips - still delicious.

On 4/14/2022 at 11:43 AM, zgast said:

I made this too!  I did add shredded chicken thighs and cucumber strips - still delicious.

I made it with ground pork and fresh spinach, it was good.

6 hours ago, dcandohio said:

A perfect Easter dinner for one: Strip steak medium rare, mixed salad, and steamed tiny potatoes. 

Very similar to my solo dinner: Reverse seared boneless ribeye, Anne Burrell's mashed potato recipe, and roasted asparagus with Hollandaise. 

• Like 3

The two of us had lamb shoulder for Easter, from Harvey's and done in the InstantPot. Rubbed with dried herbs and spices (thyme, rosemary, cumin, garlic, onion, s + p) mixed with yogurt. Pressure cooked with onion quarters, carrot chunks, and fresh thyme and rosemary. Chicken broth, white wine, and water for liquids. Something malfunctioned with the IP, which had not happened before, so it ended up being well-done instead of medium, but I was glad it finally got on track and started to operate normally. Tasted great, though I prefer lamb less thoroughly cooked.

We also had toasted sourdough bread, plain boiled, chopped spinach, guacamole deviled eggs, and goat cheese stuffed mushrooms.

I had made a pork shoulder much the same way recently and it turned out great, so I'm not quite sure what was going on with the IP with about the same size roast (~2 lbs.)

• Like 3

We had people for Easter. Lots of people for Easter brunch in mid/late afternoon. Knowing we would be coming from church, which WOULD run long (and indeed it did), we tried to keep it simple. What can we make ahead?! Let's serve buffet style with disposable tableware! (Well, except for the serving pieces) So it was:

Slovak style paska bread with several types of kielbasa and Easter eggs. Oh, and a lamb shaped butter with an "Alleluia" flag stuck in its butt.

Smoked ham, with some emmentaler next to it, with mustards and biscuits.

Smoked salmon, with whipped cream cheese and that super-thin pepperidge farm wheat bread.

Asparagus, ramp, and goat cheese frittata.

Cherry almond scones with clotted cream.

Lamb cake, chocolate torte with raspberries, and various Easter candies.

Various wines, beers, seltzer, and orange juice. Oh, and there was a pot of tea too.

It was tasty, and well received.

• Like 6

Mmm, that does look good.  I poached 2 leftover chicken thighs last night and stuck them in the fridge until I figured out dinner tonight.  I had 3 sad carrots in the fridge so I sliced them up, boiled some water and tossed a bag of farrow in it and added the carrots for 10 min.  Once those were drained, added this sauce: http://www.goingcavewoman.com/paleo-tonnato-sauce-with-chicken and the cubed chicken.  Very good dinner and happy I have leftovers.    

• Like 3

I made a really good moussaka on Saturday after coming home from the Nats game, using the last of the Easter lamb shoulder, which I chopped up pretty small. The base layer was par-boiled potato slices over Progresso bread crumbs. Then sauteed eggplant slices topped with the chopped lamb mixed with jarred Rao's marinara. Another layer of eggplant topped with a layer of thick bechamel that included a fair amount of grated Parmesan. Excellent and it has made a seemingly endless amount. Some for lunch today.

We also had spinach that night and walnut fig crostini with camembert and fig preserves.

Sunday (another game) was leftovers that I'm blanking on.

Yesterday for dinner I made lamb stew with chickpeas and braised half chicken with onions, peppers, and chickpeas. The lamb stew was the leftover cooking liquid from pressure cooking the lamb, plus the carrot, etc. that was in there. I boiled and chopped another potato to add.

I made a whole pound of Rancho Gordo chickpeas that are about a dozen years old. An hour and 12 minutes in the IP, with natural release produced awesome chickpeas. I have to find ways to use them all quickly. For lunch today I made a scaled down David Lebovitz recipe for chickpeas with lemon and mint, but I still have a lot of chickpeas to use.

Tonight is more of the lamb stew as well as a frisee salad (frisee from H Street Fresh Farm Market on Saturday) with sourdough croutons; radishes, hard-boiled eggs, pimento-stuffed green olives, and lemon vinaigrette.

We're also having oil and herb roasted tomatoes to go with Camembert and various breads.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Pat said:

I made a whole pound of Rancho Gordo chickpeas that are about a dozen years old. An hour and 12 minutes in the IP, with natural release produced awesome chickpeas. I have to find ways to use them all quickly. For lunch today I made a scaled down David Lebovitz recipe for chickpeas with lemon and mint, but I still have a lot of chickpeas to use.

The last time I did something similar, I measured out them out in 2 cup servings or so and froze them in bags in the freezer.  I pulled them out when I wanted to make hummus and the size I did was roughly equivalent to a can of chickpeas.  Worked well for me, until I ran out of bags.  I need to restock at some point.

So, dinner planning started with this concept: https://recipes.instantpot.com/recipe/butternut-squash-risotto/

Upon arriving home from work, I found in the pantry that I only had Trader Joe's Brown Rice Medley and sushi rice, no Arborio rice.  I grabbed the brown rice, went with an Aldi jalapeno beef broth and added extra butternut squash.  Cooked on pressure for 22 min. and then opened and added butter and parmesan.  While it was decompressing I quickly seared 2 thin pork chops that I'd seasoned with mustard BBQ sauce and sliced those to have over the "risotto".  Worked out very well as dinner for I and my friend.    

• Like 2

There was a box of couscous in the pantry that had been gifted to me when a seasonal resident cleaned out her pantry and refrigerator before heading north. (As a permanent resident, I am often the beneficiary of the “cleaning out” process which means that this time of year I have a lot of extra food.)

I was not interested in the seasoning packet that came with the couscous (a sodium bomb), but I had marinated chicken breasts (also a gift) in lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, dill, and oregano. The couscous made a pleasant accompaniment. I cooked it according to the package directions. Instead of adding the seasoning packet, I just added salt and pepper, basil, and a bunch of chopped up cherry tomatoes. I should’ve added lemon. It made for a nice Greek-style meal that was virtually free. I’m grateful for my sweet neighbors. 

• Like 3

Reused the maple brine recipe above - for pork chops. See, it was Sunday, and the weather was tolerable (he grilled between showers), and we were not at a ballgame. So.... salad and biscuits. And grilled pork chops and grilled asparagus. It was good.

Tonight was baked potatoes with broccoli and cheese sauce. Also salad. I tried to make some macarons today, but they came out weird. Still tasty though. So we will have chocolate not-quite macarons with marshmallow fluff filling for dessert.

• Like 1

Tonight we pulled some meatballs from the freezer. Toasted some buns, put meatballs on them, mozzarella over them, and broiled. Also, salad. Easy and tasty. Strawberry shortcake for dessert! I love strawberry season! (Made shortcake dough yesterday, baked some up for last night's dinner, froze the rest for the future, so baked 2 up fresh tonight. Worked very well.)

Last night was pasta. Alfredo sauce and asparagus. And little mozzarella pearls. Also salad. And, as noted above, strawberry shortcake.

And Tuesday was frozen dumplings. And salad. The freezer is my favorite appliance at the moment!

• Like 3

I was going to post, and going to post, and things keep happening!

So, we did some cooking early in the week, and we had a bunch of leftovers, and that turned out to be a good thing when the boy tested positive for COVID on Wednesday, having started having symptoms on Tuesday. Been eating a lot of leftovers. (Also missed 2 ball games and a symphony performance. Grrr.)

We made this tomato-ham pasta with leftover Easter ham out of the freezer.  It made a LOT! I don't love ham, but this was pretty good. 

We made this chicken and rice dish. Also made a lot and it was really good.

Also made egg and lemon soup with ramps. Quite tasty, but not something that reheats well. Luckily, we guessed that, and only made a half batch.

I am tired of leftovers. Thankfully, he is feeling much better (Also thankful that I am still testing negative. One more day of negative test results before the doc is willing to say that I should be in the clear!)(Also thankful for vaccines and anti-viral meds.)

A friend made a farm market run with porch delivery for us. So...

Tonight was grill night! We were supposed to be at the ball game, but based on the final score, probably not so bad to be here instead. So, chicken thighs marinated in soy sauce, sesame oil, garlic, ginger. Asparagus. Carrots. And salad. It was so good. I made this poke cake, but with cherries instead of blueberries. We will see how that is.

• Like 2

My wife and I have very different tastes but I do all the cooking, so occasionally I hand her a few cookbooks and ask her to pick out things that look good to her.  This week was Chrissy Teigen's Chipotle-Honey Chicken.

I've had mixed experiences with Chrissy's recipes in the past, but this was excellent.  Spicy, smokey, sweet, caramelized, and not too difficult.  If I made it again I would probably do all drumsticks and no thighs simply because the skin crisped better on the drumsticks.

Ironically, my wife didn't care for it at all...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

We had a few odds and ends in the fridge, and ground beef in the freezer, so decided to do nachos for dinner on Saturday.  Browned the beef with some fajita seasonings and layered tortilla chips on a baking tray.   Had 2 taco shells that were starting to get stale, so broke those up and tossed on the tray too. Dabbed on the remains of a can of refried beans, last of some vegan queso, drizzle of spicy honey and grated the remainder of the small block of habanero cheddar.  Sprinkled the cooked beef over all of it and added a bit of grated mozzarella and then baked at 400* for 15 min.  Had half of it for dinner and the other half reheated Sunday night.  Yummy way to use up some random leftovers.    

• Like 4

So, the boy is feeling enough better that we have been able to have some real food this week. (I remained negative, and he is clear to go back out in public with a mask as of Monday. Will be able to make his own mask choice as of Saturday.)

Monday was frito pie, with turkey chili from the freezer. Also, salad.

Last night was freezer enchiladas. Also, salad.

Tonight - YAY! Cream of asparagus soup! And grilled cheese sandwiches! Also, salad. 

I love salad this time of year. Strawberries on salad are so good.

The poke cake referenced above is fine, but not exceptional. I think my technique needs work. It isn't as well striped with fruit as I think it should be. And I hate storing cake in the fridge. Makes it soggy.

Dinner last night was rice with salt and pepper tofu: https://www.vforveganista.com/recipes/salt-and-pepper-tofu/

This was followed by a fruit salad for dessert: https://thedevilwearssalad.com/watermelon-fruit-salad-brown-sugar-boba/

I had a hibiscus and jalapeno simple syrup in the fridge, so I used that instead of the brown sugar.  I made a pot of tea and had bubble tea with the remaining boba that didn't go into the salad.

• Like 1

Yesterday was grill day. He got a porterhouse steak, rubbed it with olive oil, salt, pepper, and garlic paste. Grill to rare/medium rare. Also salad. Also grilled carrots, asparagus, and a yellow squash for him, all with olive oil and various herb mixes. Quite tasty. Strawberry shortcake for dessert! I have recently realized that it is possible to freeze raw shortcake and then bake it from frozen. Fresh shortcake out of the freezer whenever we want! Sadly, we used the last ones Sunday night. I will make more this weekend!  It works really well. I got good cream for whipped cream, and the strawberries are so good right now.

We were supposed to be at the ballpark tonight, but the weather forecast convinced us not to go. So... I made a strata yesterday from asparagus (So good this time of year!), leftover sourdough from Bread Furst out of the freezer, leftover roasted chicken out of the freezer, yellow bell pepper, swiss cheese, and shallots. (Plus milk and egg of course.) Planned to bake it tomorrow. Baked it tonight. Also, salad. And it was good. (Based on the score, glad we aren't there, even though the weather not as bad as expected.) There's a lot left for lunches!

On 5/22/2022 at 8:36 AM, Katya4me said:

This was followed by a fruit salad for dessert: https://thedevilwearssalad.com/watermelon-fruit-salad-brown-sugar-boba/

That's fascinating. Where did you get boba?

• Like 1

Last night was Ina Garten's Seared Salmon with Spicy Red Pepper Aioli.  The aioli was good, the salmon was fine, but... together it was one of the worst dishes I've ever made (that I didn't screw up).  We both took one bite and threw it out.  On the side, I made a delightful beet salad with home-roasted beets, roasted almonds, goat cheese, balsamic reduction and a little olive oil.

And peanut butter toast.

2 hours ago, Smita Nordwall said:

I don't understand. If the sauce was good and fish fine, what prompted the toss? 

I like chocolate, and I like brussels sprouts, but the two together don't work :)  They just didn't pair well together... at all.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1