Sushi Kappo Kawasaki - Closed.

I noticed that the name of the restaurant has never been removed from the window, and now there are liquor permit notices posted. Not sure if they are reopening, or if it is a completely new establishment.

It's a completely new establishment. If you read the postings, there's a name on them. Some club or something is coming in to the space, I believe. And last time I walked by Quiznos (above it) was also closed.

I know this restaurant is long closed, but I was still curious to read the review. I tried to eat at this place twice -- both times refused, both times the joint was completely empty. It held a mythical quality for me, as I love nothing more than great sushi, but I refused to put up with the ridiculous games required to get seated. The owner was downright hostile to customers, maybe just white customers, I don't know. The whole thing was just insane. I mean -- you've got a restaurant, it's 12:30 on a Wednesday and the place is empty, and two people dressed in suits come in and you refuse to seat them because they don't have a reservation? Never mind that NOBODY has a reservation for the restaurant at all that day. Never mind that you have food to serve, drink to sell, and employees sitting around doing nothing. Here a couple of well-paid white guys come in, ready to drop $200 or so on a nice lunch, and they are flat out refused. I really wanted to learn what was going on there. Was the guy independently wealthy and criminally insane? Where is he now?

• Thanks 1

I have a hypothesis about this place - without any facts to back it up, except for one notable thing:

Not too long after this crime-scene meal occurred, I randomly picked up a Japanese airline in-flight magazine and leafed through it (I think it might have been ANA). To my shock and horror, the only local restaurant advertisement was for Sushi Kappo Kawasaki - I also noted the airline’s DC office was only a few blocks away from the restaurant.

I remember thinking to myself at the time that it would explain everything if this was a quasi-tour bus home-away-from-home, owned and run by the airline, for tour groups visiting from Japan - the two criminals-posing-as-owners essentially being henchmen to keep the non-Japanese clientele out.

Again, I have zero factual evidence to support this, other than the fact that I saw that ad, but at the time, it was as if I was struck with a tsunami of clarity, right or wrong.

I haven’t given this a thought in over ten years, and wish these people well in their quest for good health.