Marvelous Market - A Local Bakery Chain Originally Founded by Mark Furstenberg - All Stores Now Closed

Pool Boy

Marvelous Market on 18th Street was shut down today and notices from the DC government stating that Marvelous Market has been "seized" are stuck to the door and windows. What happened?
Based on no information, I wonder, has Marvelous Market gone 'Galileo'? (I don't mean to offend anyone, but 'Galileo' now means "not paying taxes on time"). If the DC government closed places for serving crappy food, half the restaurants in DC would be thinking of moving to the suburbs.

Someone really needs to do an intervention on me if I ever buy another overpriced sandwich from MM. Crummy ingredients assembled with no concern for taste or presentation. Even the bread is crap.

I like their jambon beurre with cornichons, when it's available, but otherwise I don't buy their sandwiches. They are very expensive, especially when you consider that they're premade and you can't be sure how long ago they were assembled. I've gotten burned too many times (at different places, not just MM) with premade sandwiches that are soggy not to be wary of that possibility. I risk it for the jambon beurre, though :angry:

The Eastern Market location is no longer a Marvelous Market. New name: The Silver Spork. I'd heard the owner was trying to pick a new name for it. I'm not quite sure how I feel about the name they chose, but if the quality of the food (especially the breads) stays solid, then I don't really care.

There's a link here to a copy of the letter they're handing out to customers.

The Eastern Market location is no longer a Marvelous Market. New name: The Silver Spork. I'd heard the owner was trying to pick a new name for it.

I hope you mean that he's still open to renaming the business yet again. A straightforward, and perhaps site-specific name would be more welcome than something cute or precious.

I hope you mean that he's still open to renaming the business yet again. A straightforward, and perhaps site-specific name would be more welcome than something cute or precious.

I meant that I heard last week that he had been looking for a new name and it was no longer going to be a MM. It seems unlikely he'd want to change it again anytime soon, since he's presumably ordered lots of products bearing this new name.

I meant that I heard last week that he had been looking for a new name and it was no longer going to be a MM. It seems unlikely he'd want to change it again anytime soon, since he's presumably ordered lots of products bearing this new name.

SIlver Spork has been sold and will become an Italian specialty shop.  I'd heard about this earlier in the month but was hoping it wouldn't go through.  I really enjoy their breads, which stayed the same after the transition from Marvelous Market.  While I disliked the new name, I liked the business and the people who work there.   :(

The former Marvelous Market on Pennsylvania Avenue west of Washington Circle is now called "Fabulous Market". I kind of doubt that it's fabulous, but who knows? I can imagine a trademark-infringement action. I've never been in, but now live nearby. Any good, I wonder?

If they renamed it "Mediocre Market," might be more honest and we could keep using the "MM" shorthand.

• Like 2