"Twenty-Dollar Tuesday" at A&J, Rockville

hillvalley

On Sunday, August 27th, at 6:00pm, A&J in Rockville will host a less than $20 Sunday for DonRockwell.com. Gnatharobed's father is going to put together a special menu just for us for around $15. You will also have the option to order a la carte from the regular menu.

They can accomidate between 20-30 people so if you want to join in let us know by posting here!

(Also, in anticipation of this selling out, please limit RSVPs to two per member for now.)

OMG this so sucks. I've been waiting for this dinner for probably six months, and now it's going to take place 90 minutes before I get back from my only vacation this year.

:):lol::)

My sentiments exactly, but I'll be leaving town. :):D:angry:

Might just have to go to lunch there today.

Hillvalley, thank you so much for arranging this. A&J is one of my favorite restaurants - Mr P and I dine there almost weekly - but we already have two engagements for that evening. Nontheless if they both fall through (very unlikely) I'll let you know!

If anyone out there is waffling about whether to do this one: don't (waffle, that is). A&J is fabulous. The thick noodles are as good as any pasta my mother's family used to make, and the soup dumplings are the best in town.

Might just have to go to lunch there today.
I did go to lunch that day and had the fried chicken. It was good. Really good. Really really good.

I highly encourage anyone who can to attend this event. You'll get more good food for $15 than you thought to be possible. Not to mention wonderful hospitality.

I did go to lunch that day and had the fried chicken. It was good. Really good. Really really good.
I have to agree. A trip to A&J without the fried chicken is a wasted trip (well, not really but the chicken is great). It's a regular order on every visit.

I have to agree. A trip to A&J without the fried chicken is a wasted trip (well, not really but the chicken is great). It's a regular order on every visit.

The problem with A&J is there are too many items I have on my "regular order with every visit" list. If I order them all, I never get to taste new things, and I'd better have 5 people with me, or there will be a LOT of leftovers. :)

Anybody willing to pick me up at the rockville metro? (it's 1.7 miles, dunno if i really wanna walk it)

or even better, anybody willing to pick me up at dupont? :)

Well, mark me down as coming...I've got one offer for a ride from rockville. Still soliciting offers from somewhere closer to Dupont, but I'll be there regardless.

If this gets rescheduled or a second night is added, I would love to check this place out...

Given the recent spurt of interest we will be sticking with this date. We have room for 12 more if you are interested.

The current list:

Stephen B

Escoffier +1

Scott Johnson +1

Gus +1

cucas

Mr. Shorter

mktye+1

gantharobed

nadya

Gary Tanigawa

Dean Gold +1

Ferment Everything

epicurious +1

Does anyone else still need a ride from Metro? I will be meeting Legant at the Twinbrook metro and will drive to A&J from there. I'm meeting her there between 5:45 and 6 (I have a class this afternoon and can't leave earlier). I have room for more people if anyone still needs a ride. Note: I will be leaving my house at 3:30 for class and then will go directly to A&J, so if you PM or post before 3:30 that you need a ride, I can help (but I won't see messages/PMs posted later).

Looks like we are down a bunch. Something has come up and I won't be able to attend either.

If you want to join in at the last minute feel free to do so. They can set up to 30.

There are one or two others who may be joining you but here is my current list.

Stephen B

Escoffier +1

Scott Johnson

cucas

Mr. Shorter

mktye+1

gantharobed

Gary Tanigawa

Dean Gold +1

Ferment Everything

epicurious +1

crackers

NCPinDC

catherine

infohunter+1

legant

Given the low price it owuld be very helpful if people would bring cash.

First of all, a huge "Thank You" to gnatharobed and the wonderful people at A&J for hosting us this evening. The staff was so very welcoming and the food... Wow! Great food at a great price.

Everything I ate was delicious. Favorites at our table included the Wonton Soup, Kao Fu (Vegetarian Delight w/Gluten, Dry Bean Curd & Mushrooms), Ma La Er Si (Sliced Pork Ears w/Hot & Spiced Seasoning) and all the assorted dumplings. And the Dou Sha Su Bing (Red Bean Paste Pastry) was the perfect finish to the evening.

Lastly, it was great to see everyone and put faces to screen names. But I will refrain from naming names (real or screen) as to who had too much to drink at the last picnic to remember who they met and who is simply too much of a Texan to walk a few blocks. :lol::)

First of all, a huge "Thank You" to gnatharobed and the wonderful people at A&J for hosting us this evening. The staff was so very welcoming and the food... Wow! Great food at a great price.

Everything I ate was delicious. Favorites at our table included the Wonton Soup, Kao Fu (Vegetarian Delight w/Gluten, Dry Bean Curd & Mushrooms), Ma La Er Si (Sliced Pork Ears w/Hot & Spiced Seasoning) and all the assorted dumplings. And the Dou Sha Su Bing (Red Bean Paste Pastry) was the perfect finish to the evening.

Lastly, it was great to see everyone and put faces to screen names. But I will refrain from naming names (real or screen) as to who had too much to drink at the last picnic to remember who they met and who is simply too much of a Texan to walk a few blocks. :lol::)

Hey, I resemble that remark :)

But seriously, good food, good times. The veggie delight may well have been the highlight for me, although those potstickers were pretty excellent (and the spicy cucumber was a nice start). The value for the dollar at this place is the real story for me. You can eat well for $10, and you can feast, as we did, for $15.

I can still taste that smoked chicken :)

Back from A&J and here's a sample of what one table ate (and ate and ate).

I really must protest! Ken said that I should keep on ordering food or he would shoot! Who knoew he meant taking pictures!!! As it was our table managed to put away 30 dishes for 8 of us. Of course our gluttony cost us.... all of $19 a person!

wontons in hot sauce

pigs ears- very light and good flavor

tendons- rich and unctuous

3 orders of fried chicken- quite good if a litttle over the top

5 orders of steamed pork bun- not wquite as good as the best i've had in NYC but nicely soupy

gluten- excellent

mushroom and tofu- excellent

something vegetarian and crunchy- I wish i know what the heck it was

bean curd with celery

bean curd in spicy sauce- really good with mustardy sesame sauce

dan dan noodle- get the thick noodle

pork noodle- even better than the dan dan

pickled long beans & chopped meat- looked like something swept up off the floor but full of pickle flavor

pickled cukes- a little bland

1000 layer bread- a little heavy

sesame cake- crispy

steamed spare ribs in rice powder with yam- very dank and rich, for a moment it reminded of the spareribs from Peter Chiang but earthier and richer.

There was more but I forget