Anyone Interested In A Progressive Meal?

synaesthesia

Last night DanielK and some folks came up with some interesting ideas for doing food tours. Possibly some Saturday doing a walk around of Hyattsville or Riverdale. Another suggestion was a tour of Eden Center. I would also add perhaps finding a way to get some Peruvian chicken from around Wheaton and gathering at Wheaton Mall to try all of them.

Last night DanielK and some folks came up with some interesting ideas for doing food tours. Possibly some Saturday doing a walk around of Hyattsville or Riverdale. Another suggestion was a tour of Eden Center. I would also add perhaps finding a way to get some Peruvian chicken from around Wheaton and gathering at Wheaton Mall to try all of them.

When you say tours are you talking about formal 'trips' to places where we meet with the owners? Or just informal get togethers where folks stroll through, try, and (hopefully) find some neat stuff? I guess this could be a kind of like a $20/Tuesday get together group where not much advanced planning is necessary besides location and type of food. I would be up for a stroll around the Eden Center.

When you say tours are you talking about formal 'trips' to places where we meet with the owners? Or just informal get togethers where folks stroll through, try, and (hopefully) find some neat stuff? I guess this could be a kind of like a $20/Tuesday get together group where not much advanced planning is necessary besides location and type of food. I would be up for a stroll around the Eden Center.

More like $20 Tuesday, but on a Saturday. There would be a little planning by people in the know to ensure we hit the good places, but nothing very extensive.

I would be up for a stroll around the Eden Center.
Me too! and possibly some of the other places mentioned. The idea reminds me of the WokWiz "I can't believe I ate my way through Chinatown" tour in San Francisco - which is obviously an organized thing. A loosely organized walk would be great and allow for spontaneous stops at anywhere that looks interesting :)

Then there's this Calvin Trillin thing.

As a city boy confounded and frightened by suburban ways, I must ask: Are these places actually walkable without having to play Frogger across ten lanes of speeding traffic? (Or is a game of Frogger assumed?)

Even though walking (or driving) around the Eden Center on a Saturday can be scary, if you can handle walking around city traffic the suburbs are no big deal.

In the "similar but different" vein, I once had this idea that we could do a walking tour that would put together some of our favorite and regular haunts. For example, start at Firefly for cocktails, then move to Circle Bistro for appetizers, then Notti for a pasta course, followed by somewhere else for an entree and somewhere else for dessert. Then conclude at another bar until we make ourselves sick!

This did not get off the ground. But maybe someday!

To clarify my idea, it really was meant in the $20 Tuesday spirit, not the DR.com event mold.

As mentioned, one of the ideas was an Eden Center crawl. Soup from one place, bahn mi at another, pastries elsewhere, etc. No need to pre-arrange anything with the places, just a meeting time, and hopefully some good pre-crawl suggestions from the group as to where the good spots are.

Another location discussed was "Little Mexico" in Bladensburg. I wouldn't suggest a WALK here, but doing a central meetup, and hitting 4-5 of these places just getting a taco at each, or something like that.

There are probably many similar "crawls" we could do in the $20 Tuesday mold, but these are probably better done on weekend afternoons.

Nothing wrong with doing something more formal with arrangements with a couple of chefs, either, as a Hillvalley-arranged event. That would be fun too!

I'll be happy to organize formal or informal walking tours, just let me know what the group decides.

Last year crackers suggested doing a U street tour. It could easily be done in the spirit of $20 Tuesdays or a bit more expensive.

On a different note, before she left us for the land of chain restaurants, laniloa wanted to do a gnocchi tour. We could hit a couple of places over the course of a month or so and compare. If someone is up for the challenge maybe we could do a homemade version as well. This would work with a lot of different foods and price ranges.

Finally, Mrs. B, Malawry, babka, and I once did a mojito tour of Penn Quarter. Granted we couldn't tell the difference after the third one (okay, I couldn't tell the difference after the first one) but it became a legendary evening in our minds.

The variety of eating tours are endless! :)

As mentioned, one of the ideas was an Eden Center crawl. Soup from one place, bahn mi at another, pastries elsewhere, etc. No need to pre-arrange anything with the places, just a meeting time, and hopefully some good pre-crawl suggestions from the group as to where the good spots are.
I spent way too much time at Eden Center to let this pass by. If you can wait until Grover and I get back from Europe, we'll happily lead you through the wonderful world of pho, broken rice, shrimp rolls, pancakes (and I don't mean those round, made from flour things either), bahn mi, tofu with ginger sauce, tapioca with plantain and cafe suh da.

So here is the list we're looking at:

Eden Center

Little Mexico

U Street.

Peruvian chicken

I would further add maybe Rockville Pike with some of the small dishes at the various Chinese restaurants. I would also suggest a brief walkthrough on the Saturday before Thanksgiving, because there is a Fannie Mae Help for the Homeless Walk that day that I hope people will be interested in joining as well. (*edit - oops I meant to write Chinatown)

Eden Center

Little Mexico

U Street.

Peruvian chicken

I would further add maybe Rockville Pike with some of the small dishes at the various Chinese restaurants. I would also suggest a brief walkthrough on the Saturday before Thanksgiving, because there is a Fannie Mae Help for the Homeless Walk that day that I hope people will be interested in joining as well.

I would LOVE a Rockville Pike crawl... also am very interested in the Peruvian & Eden Center... Would U Street be an Ethiopian crawl of sorts? I might be in to that with some experienced Ethiopian diners...

On a different note, before she left us for the land of chain restaurants, laniloa wanted to do a gnocchi tour. We could hit a couple of places over the course of a month or so and compare. If someone is up for the challenge maybe we could do a homemade version as well. This would work with a lot of different foods and price ranges.
I still can't believe we didn't do this. It clearly is a brilliant idea. Maybe when I'm in town in January.

Some, such as I, would argue that both the Crisp and Juicy in Arlington and the El Pollo Rico in Arlington are better than either of their Maryland counterparts. This from someone who lived near both in Maryland for two thirds of his life...

Edited by Joe H

Eden Center

Little Mexico

U Street.

Peruvian chicken

I would further add maybe Rockville Pike with some of the small dishes at the various Chinese restaurants. I would also suggest a brief walkthrough on the Saturday before Thanksgiving, because there is a Fannie Mae Help for the Homeless Walk that day that I hope people will be interested in joining as well. (*edit - oops I meant to write Chinatown)

Yummy!! I love Dine Arounds (as coined by DC Taste) I am SO in!!!!

Places that are within walking distance of each other would be best. And if they are actual restaurants, then I really do like the idea of doing appetizers at one, pasta or a main course at another and desserts and/or drinks at another.

Just tell me when and where and I'm there!!

Peace & Many Blessings,

LaShanta

Let's pop this back up to the top.

I'm going to propose the first one for the afternoon of Nov. 18 for Chinatown. So if folks can also chime in with suggestions of places to visit.

As an aside:

I'll confess I have an ulterior motive for this date and location. The Fannie Mae Help the Homeless Walk is earlier in the morning near the Smithsonian. Not aiming to be preachy or guilt-trip folks, but oh heck I will go there. With all the money/time spent on food, I know I'm keen on doing a little something. If you are interested in doing the walk (info here:http://www.helpthehomelessdc.org/) PM me and I'll give you some details on a special deal with registration fees. And there will be no namecalling if you join the progressive meal and don't join the walk. I swear.

Ok. Here we go. So I figured I would wait until we're getting a little bit closer to January. Next couple of weekends are obviously holiday shopping, family time and time to get a bit tinkered. A-hem.

I was hoping that someone a little more familiar with Little Mexico could possibly guide us through, and pick a weekend convenient for him/herself to do so. Otherwise, I will try to pull together something progressive on Rockville Pike.

Now that the weather is awesome, DanielK and I are coordinating a taco tour of Little Mexico in Hyattsville/Riverdale.

So...

May 20 meeting at 11:00a.m. 2:30PM at College Park metro station. We'll car pool and make our way to the different places.

So in addition to La Sirenita, if you know of any places we should visit please post about them in the Little Mexico thread

Hope to see y'all there!

Now that the weather is awesome, DanielK and I are coordinating a taco tour of Little Mexico in Hyattsville/Riverdale.

So...

May 20 meeting at 11:00a.m. at College Park metro station. We'll car pool and make our way to the different places.

So in addition to La Sirenita, if you know of any places we should visit please post about them in the Little Mexico thread

Hope to see y'all there!

Do you want a head count? Or is this a "anybody looking hungry, standing at the metro, at the appropriate date/time can go" thingy? If the former, I'm a maybe. If the latter, look for the red ballet flats.

Do you want a head count? Or is this a "anybody looking hungry, standing at the metro, at the appropriate date/time can go" thingy? If the former, I'm a maybe. If the latter, look for the red ballet flats.

No exact headcounts needed, but we want to see how approximately how many folks are interested in going along, so we know if we have enough drivers. Not to mention, I don't want to leave folks behind either.

No exact headcounts needed, but we want to see how approximately how many folks are interested in going along, so we know if we have enough drivers. Not to mention, I don't want to leave folks behind either.

I feel a little stronger that people should RSVP via PM to myself or Jamie. Since we are moving from place to place, if you miss the start, you could miss the whole thing. I'll distribute my mobile via PM with the final list a few days before the event.

So...

May 20 meeting at 2:30PM at College Park metro station. We'll car pool and make our way to the different places.

Our confirmed headcount is so low, we're thinking of cancelling this event. If you're planning on going, or even just considering it, now is the time to speak up here or PM to me or synaesthesia.

Argh!!! :blink: I was so looking forward to this; I even had permission from Dr. Podiatrist to traipse around Hyattsville! Again I say: Argh!

In case it wasn't self-evident. This event is kaput. Better luck next time.