Xi'an Gourmet - Sichuan and Shangxi Cafe in Downtown Rockville - From the Owners of Panda Gourmet

11 minutes ago, sandynva said:

Has anyone been able to find a menu online? Very excited about this,  and I hope they do carry out! 

I've done carry-out -- very good.  But you have to eat the homemade noodles shortly after picking up -- they coagulate.

• Like 1

thank you all for the tips! got carryout from there for brunch yesterday and it was great. we ordered many of the things we usually get from panda gourmet and the versions here were equally good with two exceptions--the bean curd and celery salad, which is worse here, and the chengdu bean jelly which was great here--nicely savory and actually tasted better at dinnertime than it had at brunch because the jelly absorbed the flavors more. the cold steamed noodles and biang biang noodles were great as always. My husband loved the wontons with chili oil and liked the beef soup with pita. i will try to post pics of the menu soon, but if i'm unsuccessful, or till then, it's on grubhub too. everything was packaged very nicely and the food was actually ready when we arrived, while at panda gourmet we usually have to wait. very glad to have this option, as it's much closer to us than panda. next time we'll try to branch out more and see if we can discover new favorites. 

• Like 1

Full menu available on website.  

Rouga Mo Chinese burger is very tasty - beware it's quite fatty.  The buns have crispy exterior, kind of like an arepa.  Every table ordered it, so it must be good.

The husband/wife lung slices (beef and tripe and chili oil) are brightly flavored.  

Bok choy with mushrooms were also well executed.

Too bad this restaurant isn't closer to where I live.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ericandblueboy said:

Full menu available on website.  

Rouga Mo Chinese burger is very tasty - beware it's quite fatty.  The buns have crispy exterior, kind of like an arepa.  Every table ordered it, so it must be good.

I looked at the menu from this link and realized there are two burgers: N4 (Rouga Mo) and N5 (Cumin Beef). When a table of Chowhounds dented the menu a few months ago, the burgers we got were the only disappointment. Steve's report is on Chowhound. I'll specifically order the Rouga Mo next time. 

I've been back a few times for a weekday lunch plate. Instead of the standard suburban afterthought meal, the quality of this kitchen elevates the roll, soup, entree above other Rockville eats.

• Like 1

I'm not sure there's any place in Virginia/DC that's better than Xi'an Gourmet.  Do order their specialities - Shaanxi Flavor Fish ($32.95), Shaanxi Iron Pan Lamb ($29.95), and spicy pig trotters.  Their lian pi and bean jelly are excellent but don't overload on carbs when there's lots to try.

• Like 4

Agree with everything Eric said.  Last night's dinner was delicious.  I am not sure what things were called on the menu, but am going to talk about what I liked- I really enjoyed the Shaanxi cold noodle in chili oil, this dish got eaten faster than any other.  The noodles are thicker than the chengdu cold noodles my friends make, but were very tasty, not off the board spicy, but enough of a kick to be good, the small bits in the sauce were good.  The beef tendon and tripe in spicy sauce was delightful, I think this is something even most non-tendon/tripe people would like, I thought it was very good.  The lamb with pita soup was really a nice balance to a lot of the spicy food we had, and I really liked the flavors, I thought the lamb was good.  The Enoki mushrooms were very good, but I don't know I would order them just on my own. I really liked the vegetables (Shaanxi flavored vegetables?)  They reminded me of this spicy dipping pot dish we had in China.  The vegetables had nice crunch and a good heat to them, this is a veggie dish I would order again, even with more limited people.  The spicy pig trotters might not be for everyone, but I really enjoyed them, they have a good amount of bone and cartilage, so you have to be ok gnawing a bit, but well worth it.  The chicken dish we had with the noodles was very good for being a little more pederstrian, I thought it had good flavors and was something with good flavor to eat in between spicy bites.  The bean jelly, OH, the bean jelly- this might be a must order for me anytime I go here.  It was everything you don't think a bean jelly would be, kind of like a cold spicy noodle dish in a good way, but with bean jelly slabs instead of noodle.  The "burger" was fine, I mainly used mine to get more spicy sauce off my plate from the bean jelly.  I liked the fish, the lamb above was very good- the yams with it were good and the lamb was very tender, I thought it was a very good dish.  I am not sure what else we ordered, it was a full table, but this really is one of the best Chinese meals I have had in this area.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

This is my reckoning of the dishes that we ordered, most of which were helpfully described by ktmoomau above:

shaanxi cold stir noodles,  thicker noodles in spicy oil and seasonings

cold stir enoki, mild flavored heap of enoki
chengdu bean jelly, sleeper hit of slippery gelatinous strips in a spicy sauce (with salty bean paste?)
tendon and tripe in spicy sauce, I think there is a similar dish to this at Grace Garden called "triple treasure"
spicy trotters, succulent and rich with heavy coating of szechuan peppers and spices
pita in lamb soup, which is bits of bread sopped in the soup, and which came with a condiment dish of garlic cloves, pepper paste, and cilantro
rouga mo beef "burgers", spiced beef bits in the flat sort of english muffin rolls
shaanxi mixed vegetables, a large deep bowl of spicy sauce, heavy on the szechuan peppercorns, with various vegetables (mushrooms, fungus, bamboo, etc)
shaanxi flavor fish: large chafing dish with whole fish and sauce with soft tofu
iron pot lamb: lamb and turnip chunks in an iron bowl with propane burner
Xingjiang Chicken, a platter of mildly seasoned chicken and shaanxi-style thin noodles

This was more than plenty for a group of 10, although we ordered doubles of some of the smaller dishes. I don't remember anything being super spicy, although a few of the dishes were strong with the szechuan pepper. 
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

FWIW, total including beers, tax and tip, was about $35pp. We ordered way too much food, so a typical meal would probably be closer to $25pp without drinks.

We had doubles of the first 7 dishes on the list; everything except for the shaanxi vegetables, fish, iron pot lamb, and chicken.

• Like 3

Posted in the wrong thread, it belongs here . . .

Stopped by for my first visit just now . . . Closed by the Dept of Health on 6/14. Next to the official notice is a sign that says “Equipment Repair . . . see you soon!”

4618D248-7EF6-43F0-A7DC-0FCD35FC357C.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

18 hours ago, DaRiv18 said:

Posted in the wrong thread, it belongs here . . .

Stopped by for my first visit just now . . . Closed by the Dept of Health on 6/14. Next to the official notice is a sign that says “Equipment Repair . . . see you soon!”

Not sure what's up.  This building has had a history of things like this happening.  I wonder if there is an issue with the building instead of with the operator.  I am pretty sure this is the third time this has happened with three different operators.

• Like 1