What Are You Eating Right Now?

Heather

A King Crab leg at Sonoma, steamed on the ship in the Bering Sea, flash frozen in a nitrogen bath, then split down the middle with a laser. It's served with a garum-lime sauce on the side that, although not at all necessary, is a perfect accompaniment to the moist, tender and briny meat of this morsel. This is the third one I've had in a week, and it's fawkin' awesome, and I'm not a person who normally uses the phrase "fawkin' awesome."

[pleasure meeting you, funnyjohn]

Walkers Pure Butter Shortbread

My sister sent me a 1-lb box for the December holidays. I've demonstrated a great deal of self-restaint waiting to open them now, four months later. The box will probably be finished off this time tomorrow. Hmmm... Walkers... :o

Leftover improv stir fry with the following ingredients:

extra firm tofu

scallions

baby bok choi

garlic black bean paste

minced ginger

dry sherry

soy sauce

lo mein noodles

peanut and dark sesame oils

I like it, but want to try some sugar in next time, maybe Chinese rice wine in lieu of the sherry.

White beans with artichokes and mushrooms? Artichokes with mushrooms and white beans?

Didn't feel like cooking for real last night so I sauteed sliced mushrooms with five cloves of garlic (can barely taste it, should have used 10) and then threw in a bag of frozen artichoke hearts and a can of cannellini from Trader Joe's. A little oil, a little water, fancy vinegar, dried fresh oregano, and one I'm-sorry-but-I-still-have-two-pounds-to-lose wedge of Laughing Cow Light cheese. With a few alterations it could have been soup, or it could have been pasta sauce, but as it was, it was delicious.

Edamame*, sprinkled liberally with salt

Frozen dim sum

Raspberry/lime seltzer

*The soybeans costs $1.39 at the Asian market, compared to $3.50 at Safeway/Giant and $3.00 at Yes! That explains the 5 bags in the freezer.

squid in its own ink with a side of white rice. Bought some fresh squid on friday from A+H seafood, with the ink sacks intact and decided to make it on a whim, it turned out great.

Interesting coincidence. I bought some squid there on Saturday, intending to use it in a seafood stew. It was under the ice in the bag, and I neglected to use it in the stew. I made linguini with frutti di mare last night, using the leftover seafood stew, and added the squid. Mine didn't have intact ink sacs however. One had an exploded ink sac, which disappeared while I was cleaning the squid.

For all I know, when Borat says 'Sexy time', he's referring to having 'Grand Buffet'. Grand Buffet is 'sexy time'.

Editors note: How's THAT for a reference that'll be dated in a decade or so. Making us all look bad on archive.org. "When JJ said 'Dyn-o-mite!' he was definitely referring to the Duck a L'orange with mange tout and arugula salad with raspberry vinaigrette at Chez Pierre. That duck is dyn-o-MITE!. " --Seen on a Community Memory terminal circa 1976. I'm sorry, really sorry. 'Grand Buffet' rocks, though. We now return you to 'studying for 4:00 product knowledge exam' already in progress.

Interesting coincidence. I bought some squid there on Saturday, intending to use it in a seafood stew. It was under the ice in the bag, and I neglected to use it in the stew. I made linguini with frutti di mare last night, using the leftover seafood stew, and added the squid. Mine didn't have intact ink sacs however. One had an exploded ink sac, which disappeared while I was cleaning the squid.

I pretty much hand picked them and benefit being from the same country as the guys that work/own the place. I forgot to mention i made a really good tapa, since people were getting impatient with the squid ink stew. basically took the tentacles of the squid and sauteed them, made a vinagrete (the best olive oil I have, some sherry vinagre, a little bit of garlic, some good rock salt) and poured it over the tentacles, really good and very simple

The first four alpine strawberries of the season. These beauties are reason enough to start gardening if you don't already. If you've tasted alpine strawberries, you know what I mean. If you haven't, well, I can think of no better example of how our modern desire for convenience has trumped true flavor. These are what strawberries were meant to taste like, and even the best local pick-your-own aren't as sweet, tender, delicate, fleeting, etheral, ambrosial. Strawberries like these make you truly happy to be alive.

Sitting at Modern Times Cafe (Politics & Prose) sipping an iced latte, trying to decide what I'll have for lunch. The revamped menu here almost gives me too many choices. Today's soup (yes, I eat soup year round) is white bean with escarole which looked really good, but for $5 each, they also have a great sounding salad of lentils, feta, parsley, olive oil and garlic or another salad with quinoa sun dried tomatoes, grapeseed oil and something else. I haven't even looked at the sandwich menu yet.

I ended up getting a lunch special: one side salad (the lentils qualify) and the soup. Although the soup is good, the lentil salad greatly outshines it. Yum! $8.25 for the combo which include three slices of baguette for the soup. Both portions are pretty large so I plan to eat the soup and bread, saving most of the lentils for later.

It amuses me greatly that this thread runs 13 pages, 489 responses, and 23,000+ views. ;)

I am drinking pink plonk and eating a strawberry fruit bar while watching my children run through the sprinkler. Life is good.

leftovers:

loin lamb chops marinated in balsamic, fresh mint, mustard powder and cumin then grilled to medium

couscous refreshed in chicken stock then mixed with zucchinni, yellow squash, red onion, chickpeas and garlic sauteed in olive oil with curry powder, cumin, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper

diet coke with lime for dessert

;) what kind of cheese?
Good question. It had a dense texture and was kind of bland, rather like factory mozzarella. The menu simply called them "cheese shumai." They were listed among a number of appetizers featuring cheese, including "cheese gyoza" and "fried cheese," so factory mozzarella would not surprise me. They weren't bad on their own, but the Chinese mustard improved them quite a bit.