What Are You Eating Right Now?

Heather

Palmiers. :( And a vol-au-vent or two. Now that I have the hang of puff pastry, I'm never using store-bought again. Seriously, if you love pastry, learn how to make this. It isn't hard, and the taste is so much better.

Been messing around with puff and brioche all day. I really need to log off this time-sink web site and clean the kitchen...

split pea soup (yellow and green) with fingerling potato slices and bacon

I love split peas and keep forgetting how quickly they cook. It took not a whole lot longer than an hour to make this soup for lunch. Nice comfort food.

We've had bacon for breakfast and lunch. No bacon for dinner :mellow:.

Atwater rye, toasted, with Plugra butter and Maldon salt.

Yeah, it takes a lot less time to fulfill orders when there are only seven (7) cookies in each box.
Which flavor has only seven cookies? Samoas? :mellow:

My delivery is on Thursday - my girls sold 1234 boxes! Our troop will earn $740.

An outrageously awesome barbeque pulled pork sandwich i made from my leftover smoking session on Saturday. Despite the rain, i was able to smoke two bone in butts for 9 hours. The result - envy from my coworkers after I warmed it up. This is probably one of the best pulled pork butts I've ever made (or had for that matter). I credit a bbq book that I was given for Christmas for finally getting this right.

An outrageously awesome barbeque pulled pork sandwich i made from my leftover smoking session on Saturday. Despite the rain, i was able to smoke two bone in butts for 9 hours. The result - envy from my coworkers after I warmed it up. This is probably one of the best pulled pork butts I've ever made (or had for that matter). I credit a bbq book that I was given for Christmas for finally getting this right.

Name of bbq book, please...?

Name of bbq book, please...?

Backyard BBQ: The Art of Smokology, Richard Peake. This book is more a reference than a cookbook with recipes. There is a fairly good section in the back on rubs, marinades, and sauces, but it has a fair amount of tips and techniquest (e.g., bring the temp of the meat up slowly if you want a lot of smoke penetration/flavor before the protein sets, wrap the meat after it has achieved smoke flavor/coloring/bark to ensure tenderness and to lock in juices).

Great reference and a very easy read.

McVitie's Salt and Chocolate Digestive Biscuits. ;) I think these are a close second to the Caramel and Cocoa ones.
Salt and chocolate!!! I never saw those in England.... ETA: just visited the Japanese McVities site... scary. http://www.meiji.co.jp/sweets/biscuit/mcvities/

Just nibbling on some random bits of oatmeal stout brownie with Guinness caramel.

Salt and chocolate!!! I never saw those in England.... ETA: just visited the Japanese McVities site... scary. http://www.meiji.co.jp/sweets/biscuit/mcvities/

Just nibbling on some random bits of oatmeal stout brownie with Guinness caramel.

;) Oatmeal stout brownie with guiness caramel? Do tell!! (I'm trying to stop eating home-made candied pecans and cashews--dang these things are addictive)

They may be new; I'd never seen them before. They were on an endcap with Vanilla Cream, Honey & Lemon, and Milk Chocolate digestives. I always want to see what's in their complete J-product line, but you're right: their website is too damn scary to research. Make the music stop!

Your brownies sound awesome too. I miss brownies. ;)

;) Oatmeal stout brownie with guiness caramel? Do tell!! (I'm trying to stop eating home-made candied pecans and cashews--dang these things are addictive)
I cheated a little and substituted reduced oatmeal stout for the water in a brownie mix (it's a lot easier than buying and storing all the separate ingredients in my apartment). Then I had some leftover Guinness caramel from the last time I made it - reduced Guinness, sugar, butter and salt boiled together. It had been sitting in the fridge so long it formed huge sugar crystals, so I recooked it and let it cool and poured it on top of the uncooked batter. I def. need to work on thickening it up so it doesn't sink to the bottom every time or maybe pull the brownies out halfway and put it on top.

Xochitl: I'll trade you brownies for chocolate and salt Digestives...

Corn tortilla sandwich (a quesadilla, I guess, except I ate it like a sandwich instead of cutting it into wedges). Filled with chipotle black beans, cheddar cheese, and served with sour cream. Hit the spot perfectly.

Berger cookies. Now that I've worked through a few, let me provide a slightly different description..."frosting" isn't really the right term for the chocolatey layer. Imagine, if you will, a merely medium-sized cookie, fused to a slightly larger blob of vending-machine brownie. The irregular brownie half, like some kind of pastry macrophage, is barely trying to envelop the well-ordered cookie half.

Actually, the whole thing works because the brownie portion isn't too cloyingly sweet. But really, there isn't that much in common with a black-and-white.

Shamefully, I'm eating a handful of those TownHouse Flipsides crackers. This is what happens when you watch too much TV over the weekend and then see them on an endcap in the grocery store.

They're so bad.... and so good..... and I just decided that they might be excellent dunked in Nutella.

I have a problem.