What Are You Eating Right Now?

Heather

Vitello tonnato made w leftovers

A favorite wintertime salad first encountered in Borgo San Lorenzo (outside Florence): boiled waxy potato, separately cooked carrots, and in my case, roasted beets, seasoned, dressed w unfiltered olive oil. Purple and orange carrots made this even prettier.

Bed of wild watercress, seasoned and dressing only w olive oil and Champaign vinegar.

Roquefort that is almost unpleasantly salty. I know it's supposed to be salty--and I like salt--but this is pretty extreme. I finally grabbed a handful of wheat thins to cut the saltiness. The crackers (at 260 mg. sodium/serving) taste positively bland against the cheese.

Cold rueben sandwich that Waitman kindly picked up for me this am from Deli City. I'm a lucky girl.

Any improvement in their bread, or is it still Sysco's finest (or, last I was there, not quite the finest).

The only thing holding their sandwich back from being stupendous, IMHO.

Any improvement in their bread, or is it still Sysco's finest (or, last I was there, not quite the finest).

The only thing holding their sandwich back from being stupendous, IMHO.

Alas no improvement but bread really doesn't count on a 3 hour old cold rueben. This sandwich is all about the meat. And the thoughtfulness of the delivery boy!

Just finished a prolonged lunch after unpacking store-bought groceries.

Ricotta gnocchi w snipped chives mixed in,
sauced in butter,
plated w sautéed bluefoot mushrooms
finished w cream and
blanched fava beans

Celery salad w parsley
lemon,
salt, pepper and
unfiltered olive oil

HD fleur de sel ice cream

(Sold my soul to Zora)

A spaghetti pie/frittata thing I improvised that makes a great brunch dish.

Leftover fettucine with broccoli rabe, toasted garlic and bread crumbs, baked with a mixture of eggs, half and half, cream cheese, Spanish Romao Rosemary cheese, hot pepper flakes, and Campari tomato chunks.

My husband had thought the broccoli rabe was too bitter when I made the dish originally, but he scarfed this down, as did I :rolleyes:. I think the cream cheese especially helped mellow out the bitterness.

I'm about to make my first mortadella sandwich. Red Apron slices. Simple first time around.

In the future, I might try using it to stuff tortellini and even do the Brazilian sandwich w grilled mortadella, provolone, mustard, mayo and baguette.

Anyone have suggestions on the best way to eat mortadella--or construct a sandwich w the stuff?

Ray's Sliders

Take leftover cowboy ribeye from Ray's the Classics, slice about 1/4" thick. Sit at room temp for about 90 minutes. Layer on small rolls with the leftover onions from said steak, along with some sliced tomato, a touch of the horseradish sauce, and a little bit of fresh mozzarella. Throw the whole thing in the toaster oven in the work kitchen for about 2 minutes. Fend off hungry colleagues.

I'm seriously jealous! With li hing mui?

Unfortunately, no, as I'm allergic to plums! I did have a delicious green tea with haupia and mochi balls though. I'm missing it now, so much so that when I returned to work yesterday I noticed that Crepeaway looked liked it may have closed for good, so I immediately started thinking "wow, that would be a great location for shave ice!"