What Are You Eating Right Now?

Heather

Homemade gazpacho.

I would call it 'local' because all of the produce (tomatoes, cukes, peppers, basil, red onion, cilantro, parsley) came from the farmers market. However, the tomato juice (Knudsens), Italian Balsamic Vinegar, and lemons were not from around here.

Toast with cultured butter & the excellent and highly addictive Penzey's garlic salt. The salt would be mighty fine on those potatoes.

(Feeling my age here. I saw REM for the fist time before Murmur was released. But now I've said too much... :( )

Toast with cultured butter & the excellent and highly addictive Penzey's garlic salt. The salt would be mighty fine on those potatoes.

(Feeling my age here. I saw REM for the fist time before Murmur was released. But now I've said too much... :( )

I set it up.

Heh.

I love garlic toast. That sounds so delicious that if I weren't monstrously full, I'd make some.

I also love REM and have seen them more times than I should admit. Also in January 2009 I went to the Obey Giant inauguration party and Michael Stipe was there. He's ... very odd. Nice-ish, but odd. (Tim Robbins was way more personable, but he's also about 4000 feet tall, and I am a gnat, it seems, at least according to the pictures.)

A "stew" I made last night in preparation for going out of town, which turned out to be ideal for this craptastic rainy day. Leftover Italian Field Roast veggie sausage, potatoes, sweet potato greens and fresh black-eyed peas, onions and garlic, some herbs, chicken stock and white wine. Simple and hearty.

I'm sitting in the Merrifield Tippy's Taco House watching my young dining companion scarf down a Tippy's Daily Special ($6.67) consisting of one California Burrito, two Tacos and a Fanta Birch Beer.

Actually he's eating it slowly and I'm bored.

Cheers,

Neglee Gent

A sandwich fresh from the deli-Arnold Whole Grain White bread, Boar's Head Tavern Ham, Vermont Cheddar, mayo, Dijon and sliced garden tomato.

This sandwich reminded me of Saturdays, when Mom used to shop and we'd come home, unload, and make sandwiches with everything as fresh as it gets.

ps...this bread is so enjoyable. Who knew I could go back to white bread and feel good about it?

Chowan's Best herring roe with scrambled Jehovah-Jireh chicken eggs.

This is *not* the river herring roe of Tidewater yesteryear. Even with lots of seasoning help, a bland and lackluster product. A bit of web searching reveals this is now sourced from Canada rather than the Chowan River in NC. That, coupled with the rose-colored lens of nostalgia, places this product firmly in the "Thanks For Playing, But Never Again" file.

Nice try, mom! Next time she gives me a can, I'll stash it back in her pantry and she'll never know the difference.

(friends don't let friends)

(consume)

(canned roe)

post-5654-051139700 1284922841_thumb.jpg

On this chilly day, I made a pseudo soup out of pantry items: frozen black beans, sauteed fresh corn from Garners and frozen spinach. It wasn't soup in the traditional sense but it's fortified me for the frosty weather.

(yes, I know it's not cold enough for a frost but wasn't it 90 degrees 2 weeks ago?)