What Are You Eating Right Now?

Heather

A sandwich from Whole Foods.

Has anybody noticed that almost none of the sandwiches and other prepared food from Whole Foods are offensive, but at the same time almost none of them actually taste particularly good? It's like they purposefully shoot for just average, maximizing the number of people who will be okay with eating them, yet simultaneously removing any chance that they'll ever be particularly flavorful or desirable.

Peanut butter cracker sandwiches I made with 365 brand deli crackers. The crackers were an impulse purchase and proved to be nearly inedible. Blech. The peanut butter salvages them (though my husband thinks they still taste bad even with the peanut butter). Not buying these again. I made up a whole Rubbermaid container of the little cracker sandwiches. They're going to last a while if even my human garbage disposal won't eat them :angry: . It wasn't even that large a box.

Szechuan Style Beef Jerky. My lips are numb.

Preserved meat. Kitchen underway?

Truly wonderful red lentil soup w Greek-style yogurt swirled in.

Warm slice of foccacia w red onion

No patience for Thomas Keller's 5-hour caramelized onions yesterday, but I did sweat them (w kosher salt) on low for over an hour before taking off the lid, letting them color, then adding garlic, fresh ginger, spices and a generous dab of tomato paste.

We just finished a hearty lunch of huevos rancheros. I had just a little bit of jamon iberico left in the refrigerator and I crisped it slightly in a frying pan, laying it over warmed corn tortillas. Added some ranchero sauce, then fried eggs, more ranchero sauce and then grated cheddar. Black beans with sour cream graced one nook of the plate, and avocado chunks (with Meyer lemon juice squeezed over) fit in another. The plates looked beautiful, but the camera was upstairs, so we went ahead and ate instead of photographing.

From The Past:

Chocolate tortilla chips. Saw them at the store and had to buy since I love salty-sweet things. You don't really taste chocolate, more a hint of it as a finish. I could see these going down easily with a smoky salsa for a mole feel.

From The Front Of The Bag:

Food Should Taste Good Chocolate Tortilla Chips (link)

From The Label:

Stone ground corn, sunflower oil, semi-sweet chocolate powder, evaporated cane juice, corn bran, dutch cocoa powder, vanilla extract, sea salt

From The Store:

Bought this batch from Mom's Organic Market on Glebe, but have also seen them all over the place including Common Market in Frederick and Organic Butcher of McLean.

From My Point of View:

Ideal crunch, perfect salinity, amazing hint of edging-into-earthy cocoa on the finish. An outstanding dessert substitute, straight out of the bag. Recipe possibilities are endless.

From My Conscience:

Pace yourself.

From My Palate:

Eat the entire bag. Now.

(palate is winning)

Well, not eating so much, but admiring from afar while the office enjoys 2 large pizzas from Luigi's. (I did sneak a mushroom and a bite of the crust, though ;) )

Smelling pizza and not eating it....you've got serious control! That's one aroma that makes me salivate.

My shiteous local Safeway actually had beautiful artichokes @ $1 each. Big, firm, fresh even. I steamed them and poured a bit (read: a lot) of melted butter in the nooks and crannies, then dipped them into mayo/paprika/lemon.

Tooth-scraping good.

I'm telling you....get thee to your Safeway to take advantage of this!

Tuscan Kale Chips

They are delish-better than I expected.

My kale leaves were small so I didn't remove them from the stem and only had to roast them for 15 minutes. I also used my kick ass olive oil mister so the leaves weren't drowning in oil which I think made a big difference.

Yes! Jacques Pepin just showcased this on a program recently. We were so intrigued we bought Kale at H-Mart on Sunday and had it for dinner that night. As Jacques said, he just loves to snack on this crispy treat and I have to agree...almost like snacking on popcorn! I roasted a pretty large bunch, so removed the stems and tore the leaves into similar sized pieces. The key, per Jacques, is twofold; first to roast at a low temp (250, as you did) and second, to set the leaves atop a rack set in a roasting pan so the air can fully circulate around the kale. While it appeared to be crispy earlier on, the flavor tended to lean to bitter. By keeping it in the oven a bit longer, the flavor became nutty and well-rounded.

I also use a mister for all my roasted vegetables, which works quite well. But with Canola instead of Olive Oil. I can only imagine how much more flavor this would have with the EVOO, but, alas, it is now on my banned substances list. ;)

The rest of the meal was "clean out the cupboard" day. Pasta whose "best by" date was either 2006 or 2008 (couldn't read it) and home made ragu sauce with Bison meat and a HUGE can of tomatoes that we purchased from Kostas (Greek Deli.)* Turned out to be quite a tasty dinner; I'm on my way to go eat some leftovers right now.

*Sidebar-we happened upon a demo at Bloomingdale's a couple of year's ago. The owner of Filomena was doing a demo, and said these were the best canned tomatoes and the only ones they use. She gave us a taste and they were very good. So when I happened to see a can sitting above the drink cooler at the Greek Deli one day, I asked if we could purchase it. When I get a chance I'l check the recycle bin to find out the name and post it.

I also use a mister for all my roasted vegetables, which works quite well. But with Canola instead of Olive Oil. I can only imagine how much more flavor this would have with the EVOO, but, alas, it is now on my banned substances list.

Why is EVOO on your banned substances list?

Breaking in my new food dehydrator.

Preparing kale crisps; a mixture of raw sesame tahini, shoyu, lemon juice, and lacinato kale.

Feeling guilty about posting here because it's not "eating right now".

Read this post again in couple more hours and it'll be true.

post-5654-126887578632_thumb.jpg