What Are You Eating Right Now?

Heather

Leftover chicken meatballs and Gatorade. The word of the day is DETOX.

NO KIDDING. I had a big bowl of mangoes and blueberries for breakfast and felt like I may finally be starting to heal. Of course, in that vein, this here glass of whiskey is probably negating any progress...

I'm not a huge fan of crunchy, dried out genoa salami--by the time the parsnips are done, the salami will have rendered all of its fat and be toast. I could see roasting parsnips, letting them cool and using them with cubed salami and roasted peppers and mozzarella with some olive oil-based vinaigrette, as an antipasto salad.

I'm not a huge fan of crunchy, dried out genoa salami--by the time the parsnips are done, the salami will have rendered all of its fat and be toast. I could see roasting parsnips, letting them cool and using them with cubed salami and roasted peppers and mozzarella with some olive oil-based vinaigrette, as an antipasto salad.

Roasted cubes in olive oil until just a little soft, then added Lucchese salami to finish. Reasons: curiosity and a sense of play.

Egg Salad with Provolone, Lettuce and Thousand Island Dressing on a Sub Roll.

There used to be a deli in my hometown that named this combo (but on rye) after a friend's dad who always ordered this for lunch. It was listed on the menu as "The Sam".

Leftover skirt steak that had great marbling acquired from Grand Mart rubbed with Adam's Steak Rub and seared. And some leftover horseradish mashed potato/potato salad inspired after eating the potato salad at Ardeo Bardeo. It wasn't quite as good yet, but I will work on it. I only had jarred horseradish, the real stuff would make a big difference.

A REALLY good orange that I just bought at the new Whole Foods in Rockville this afternoon. I haven't had a decent orange this entire winter, so this seems spectacular. (I grew up in southern California, so I'm pretty picky about oranges.) And while this certainly isn't the best orange I've ever eaten, it's the best orange I've eaten in the Mid-Atlantic in quite some time. They had samples and it was so juicy and tasty that I had to take a chance on the 13-lb box for $9.99 (regularly $12.99). They're Sequoia brand from California.

Posting a few hours after, but I wanted to share how much I enjoyed a simple sandwich for lunch; Almost no knead bread, thinly sliced med. rare tri tip (Lamb's Quarter Farm) that was leftover from grilling a few nights ago, Keswick havarti, mayo, dijon. A few cornichons sealed the deal B)

The perfectly dressed green salad: Champagne vinegar and olive oil. Salt and pepper. Creme fraiche. Mashed avocado. Snipped chives. More vinegar after tossing. Very tender, frilly pale green leaves from small hydroponic heads. (I was surprised since I normally am dirt-prejudiced, but good!). Second-best part? Lazy. Eaten out of a bowl first filled with very cheesy baked pasta. Parts stuck to bowl during reheating delicious when loosened by vinaigrette and fork.

This was yesterday afternoon after coming home from the markets, but just getting around to posting.

Here's Three Way Farm's (Warsaw, VA) strawberries, a small remnant of Oussau Iraty sheep's mild cheese and Atwater's pump/raisin bread. Drizzles with a thick, fancy schmancy balsamic I just bought from Cheesetique.

strawbberriescheeseandbalsamic-1.jpg

Lamb burger. Seasoned with dill, paprika, sumac, pepper and garlic. Stuffed with fresh ricotta and served on an english muffin. Lamb meat was too lean, then I overcooked and underseasoned it. Ricotta was solid but a soft goat's cheese would have been better. Next time...

Salad of grillpan-seared slabs of zucchini, sungold tomatoes deflated in foil pack placed over a gas flame and Halloumi-style cheese (Trader Joe's), mint, basil and lemon-garlic and evoo dressing. Cornbread. Peach.

Only 2 zucchini left in the fridge!