What Are You Eating Right Now?

Heather

Sandwich of jowl rillettes, pickled red onion & roasted red pepper

Cup of apple-rutabaga soup

Nathan Anda suggested the filling for the sandwich, recommending the onion-rye from Quail Creek Farm which I didn't have. Wonderful nonetheless.

Soup based on one from Little Inn in Washington, but transformed into something less rich and cloying (sage, celery, no cream, no maple syrup...)

Alternating between Dove chocolate eggs and Reese's eggs, with coffee. ;)

We grilled in aluminum foil packets rockfish, shallots, carrots, and red peppers. Virtually no fat, wonderful flavors and textures, and very easy to make.

Made a grilled ham and herbed alouette sandwich on olive oil rosemary bread with arugula added after grilling. MMMMmmm after Easter ham sales, might have to unfreeze another chunk of it for consumption soon. Then had a mini cannoli from the Italian Store.

We're headed to friends for a Memorial Day picnic at 3pm. Unfortunately it looks like it will be an inside only get-together, due to rain.

I have in the oven a whole slab of pork spare ribs with a salt-pepper-garlic-paprika dry rub. 255-260o or so for about 7 hours. We'll see what we get, but the last time I tried this it was pretty good.

Oh and loads of strawberries -- especially strawberry ice cream!

My favorite this weekend were from New Morning Farm!

Lunch today: Deep-fried squash blossoms stuffed w ricotta, parmesan, basil and chives; fleur de sel. Fennel & citrus salami. Plain yogurt w rhubarb purée and strawberries.

My favorite this weekend were from New Morning Farm!

Lunch today: Deep-fried squash blossoms stuffed w ricotta, parmesan, basil and chives; fleur de sel. Fennel & citrus salami. Plain yogurt w rhubarb purée and strawberries.

"Raising the Salad Bar" by Catherine Walthers has lots of great and inventive recipes. Vegetarian, red meat, chicken, seafood, and fish recipes.

"farmer salad"--a flashback to my childhood--one of my mother's regular summer lunch dishes. cottage cheese with chopped cucumber, tomato, celery, shredded carrot and scallion. Mom used to mix in some sour cream, I used Greek yogurt. J's been nudging me to make it and I finally remembered to get cottage cheese--not something I ordinarily buy.

At Chicago O'Hare doing the layover thing, powering down Second Nature "Sensible Medley" trail mix. The dark chocolate soy nuts are actually kinda tasty. Plane air & travel desperation, I surmise.

(i left my "flight food" in the fridge)

(this morning)

(grrr argh)

(i left my "flight food" in the fridge)

(this morning)

(grrr argh)

Bad robot!

How much time do you have? O'Hare has some decent offerings, I believe, but it may depend on what terminal you're in and what you have time to track down.

Bad robot!

How much time do you have? O'Hare has some decent offerings, I believe, but it may depend on what terminal you're in and what you have time to track down.

Terminal C*

You inspired me to forage, and I'm now fruit & veggie enabled for the next leg of the trip. Danke!

*is for cookie and that's (almost) good enough for me