What Are You Eating Right Now?

Heather

Did you bring enough for everybody? Hmmmmmmmmmmmm?

Was shocked to see them in Philly yesterday morning....the farmer (Silver Spring, PA/Lancaster County) said that they were like candy. For $7....they are! They will be eaten in a salad and perhaps be part of the main's sauce tonight!

Cauliflower and purple kohlrabi roasted with olive oil, fennel pollen, chili/cocoa spice rub, ground coriander, kosher salt, black pepper with lavender, and a touch of red chili flakes. Inspired by (but significantly deviated from) Monica Binde's Roasted Cauliflower recipe in Modern Spice, a delicious, satisfying, and uniquely addictive concoction.

post-5654-124787720697_thumb.jpg

The highlight of last night's dinner was Avocado Soup from Martha Stewart's recipe. I think I preferred it right after I blended it to the chilled version. Also attempted braised short ribs for the first time with some flanken cut ribs from the farmer's market. Oh well, the egg noodles with the gravy and veggies were good, as for the meat...eh.

Nothing.

Why?

10 oz. of cantaloupe

2 cups coffee w milk

Thick wedge of skillet buttermilk cornbread baked w kernels from 3 ears of corn mixed in

8 oz. drinkable strawberry yogurt

Croissant

Blueberries & yogurt "gelato"

16 oz. container filled w leftover fried potatoes (coated w onion and parsley), green beans and halved sungold tomatoes

6 raw almonds

3 steamed crabs w Bay seasoning (no beer in fridge!!!!)

Big ear of organic Ice Queen w butter, salt and black pepper

Wondra-fried soft shell crab squirted w lemon, dipped in horseradish mayo (the latter courtesy of a recipe of Suzanne Goin; works!)

Slices of bumpy cucumber, couple only

Bittersweet chocolate truffle from the new guy here (I won't add the "mo", but yum!)

Thinking about small plums...

Nothing.

Why?

10 oz. of cantaloupe

2 cups coffee w milk

Thick wedge of skillet buttermilk cornbread baked w kernels from 3 ears of corn mixed in

8 oz. drinkable strawberry yogurt

Croissant

Blueberries & yogurt "gelato"

16 oz. container filled w leftover fried potatoes (coated w onion and parsley), green beans and halved sungold tomatoes

6 raw almonds

3 steamed crabs w Bay seasoning (no beer in fridge!!!!)

Big ear of organic Ice Queen w butter, salt and black pepper

Wondra-fried soft shell crab squirted w lemon, dipped in horseradish mayo (the latter courtesy of a recipe of Suzanne Goin; works!)

Slices of bumpy cucumber, couple only

Bittersweet chocolate truffle from the new guy here (I won't add the "mo", but yum!)

Thinking about small plums...

Well, I don't have to ask how the Dupont Market was yesterday!

Watermelon-feta salad

Thanks for inspiration, Zora. Yellow watermelon from Quaker Valley is amazingly good. Keswick feta. Farm at Sunnyside's organic white onion, still not sharp. Gardener's Gourmet black mint which I fell in love w thanks to a colleague's obsession w Dolcezza's black mint gelato (stracciatella if you go to the store--i.e. w shavings of dark chocolate!!!!). Champagne vinegar to retain color. Perfect!

Pool Boy, just caught your photo on this page. Wow.

*jealous....mmmm*

On my last trip up, I bought 2 bags and froze one. Last night I made grinders with several more of the rolls. The remaining one from that package is in the freezer now too. There's just something about the way they're not too crusty and not too soft that makes them perfect.

(I also brought back several pounds of Habbersetts scrapple :rolleyes: )

A quickly concocted salsa from brilliantly ripe avocado, CSA treasures including three types of tomatoes, red and yellow bell pepper, jalapeno, and scallion, with a liberal dose of sea salt, a touch of dried chipotle, Xochitl blue corn tortilla chips, and a smile.

post-5654-12523561683_thumb.jpg

Had to get something to nosh on for the gang before the wine went to their heads. Diced a portobello and browned it up with plenty of salt, pepper, and tarragon; stirred in some sour cream off the heat. Served with rye crackers.

Never seen anything get scarfed down so fast. The groans of pleasure are still echoing around my coffee table. :rolleyes:

homemade oatmeal raisin cookies

When I first made them (from a Sheila Lukins recipe, RIP), they seemed a bit dry. Sealed tight in cookie tins, they're a bit dry at first but satisfactorily moist through the remainder of the eating. I haven't had any cookies in a while where it's been an effort to stop myself at just one...until now.