What Are You Eating Right Now?

Heather

Today's impulse purchase at Whole Foods: Skyr. It's Icelandic, kind of like yogurt, made with cultured, concentrated skim milk. It's really creamy, and tastes kind of cheesy at the end. It also appears to have vanilla seeds in it (WF also had blueberry). Mr. Xochitl thought it was like icing. The more garbage-disposal-like of my two Akitas did not like it so much, his picky friend seemed to.
Am consuming a blueberry Skyr parfait with strawberries and granola. Super delicious. As a high-protein, fat-free dairy dessert this is aces. Even better is the vanilla Skyr with granola and blueberries available at Whole Foods. A little pricey at $2, but a lot cheaper and healthier than most desserts.

My kid wanted some kind of puffy cracker she saw at the store that was literally a bite of air, and the box cost $4.99. So right now we are eating some really fabulous home made "everything" crackers with a really nummy warm brie and grapes.

The last piece of a blueberry crumble I made for a family get-together Sunday. Cook's Illustrated recipe---so good my Mom asked for the recipe and even had seconds! (She rarely eats any dessert at all so this was quite the compliment :lol: )

I had left over chips, cheese and herbs to use up so I came up with a riff on nachos:

chips topped with provolone, garlic scapes, basil, parsley, and quartered sungold tomatoes. Stuck the whole thing in the microwave until the cheese melted. Needs to be played with a bit but still pretty damn good.

Have I mentioned I love summer?
Yes, dear.

Bellinis. Bellinii?

Local white peach and Red Havens driven back from Ohio. Golden raspberries swollen with prosecco and peach and sugar and lemon fished out of the bottom of the glass: one of the best things this year. All the windows cranked open, including skylight, light breeze and insect femurs rubbing madly in the dark.

Purple tomato and mozzarella (salt and olive oil)

Boiled corn on the cob (salt and Kerry Gold butter)

Nectarine

...all produce from Penn Quarter farmers' market.

After months of laziness in the kitchen and processed crap, I think I may have finally had my come-to-Jesus moment. Yay summer! (Though I sure could use one of those bellinii... :lol: )

From the Del Ray market;

Toigo "super sweet" yellow corn...sure tastes like the mirai they had this time last year. This corn is sweet, yet 'corn-y'. The ears have a very large volume of plump kernals. I don't think anyone else is growing this corn, and I hope Toigo never stops.

Toigo peach.

I'm stuffed.

Blueberry pancakes with blueberry syrup. I took some help fro Bisquick and added a handful of cornmeal to the batter, along with macerated blueberries from yesterday's Del Ray market. The best part was cooking them up on my new Le Creuset 11 3/4" cast iron enamel skillet from the outlet in Leesburg :lol: . If you have not cooked with one of these--I highly recommend them. Just a brush of oil here and there and it's better than teflon.