Chix, Rotisserie Chicken in Navy Yard and at 14th and L Street Downtown - All Locations Closed

A delayed note. I had some lunch brought in from Chix and was fairly impressed. I had the chix chicken which is seasoned with a secret blend of spices (so says the menu). I found it flavorful and tender. I only ate the dark meat, but my work partner had the breast and say they were juicy. The meat was seasoned well. I had black beans and rice on the side. They were decent, not wowed off my feet , but decent.

I would recommned stopping in and supporting them. The food is good and the mission better.

http://www.chixdc.com

I just finished lunch from here and it was delicious! I had the Columbian chicken (marinated in coffee and organic coconut milk) and the roast sweet potatoes and both were cooked perfectly. The chicken was very tender and juicy, but not at all greasy, and had a nice smoky flavor. The potatoes were perfectly roasted and also totally greaseless.

All the chicken served is free range and antibiotic and hormone free, and roasted over charcoal and wood (yes, I have the menu in front of me as I'm typing this) and I thought it was absolutely delicious. A vast improvement over Inca Chicken, the previous tenant - and I liked Inca Chicken. This is just really special as far as fast food chicken goes, and a great addition to the neighborhood.

I had the Peruvian chicken last night and it was delicious. The chicken was really moist and the skin had a great flavor. My wife who doesn't really like meat but eats chicken on occasion couldn't stop eating the chicken. We had the black beans and noodles and cheese side dishes. Neither was anything special. My wife had the lentil soup because she thought she wouldn't want much chicken. There was leftover soup instead of chicken.

This is a great addition to the neighborhood. 1/2 a chicken with two sides for $11.50 is a lot of food for not very much.

I had the Peruvian chicken last night and it was delicious. The chicken was really moist and the skin had a great flavor. My wife who doesn't really like meat but eats chicken on occasion couldn't stop eating the chicken. We had the black beans and noodles and cheese side dishes. Neither was anything special. My wife had the lentil soup because she thought she wouldn't want much chicken. There was leftover soup instead of chicken.

This is a great addition to the neighborhood. 1/2 a chicken with two sides for $11.50 is a lot of food for not very much.

I also had the Peruvian chicken there. YUMMY. We got a whole because we wanted leftovers for sandwiches. The noodles and cheese did not excite, but the sweet potatoes were lovely. I liked the white basmati rice with cilantro, too. Next time, I'll get the rice with beans. I hope this place is a huge success, because the food is tasty, reasonably priced and their environmental responsibility is much appreciated.

I got take-out from Chix last night and have to echo the comments of the previous posters -- the chicken is delicious.

A few items that haven't been specifically touched on above:

- There are three sauce options that are included with an order of chicken -- red salsa, green salsa and a mustard curry. I preferred the thicker consistency of the red salsa to the thinner, slightly spicier green. Stand-alone, I found the creamy, spice-heavy mustard curry far and away the most interesting, but I didn't think it jibed very well with the heavily-seasoned peruvian chicken. That being said, try all three. Extras are only $.49 a pop and the variety makes for a much more exciting meal.

- The smooth, thick texture of the vegan black beans makes the side dish, and they go well over rice. They aren't unique, there aren't layers of flavor, but they are simple, well prepared and I'd get them again.

- Of the two veggie side dishes, a chickpea salad and a "mixed vegetable trio", I preferred the chickpeas. The bite hadn't been cooked out of the green peppers, which was the case in the trio.

- The lentil soup was thin and under-seasoned. I'm guessing that the base is vegetable broth, and that chicken broth would have helped... a lot.

- The owner is really lovely, a very nice guy, and is genuinely passionate about running a green restaurant, from his biodegradable cups and take-out containers to his poorly-concealed disappointment when he heard that he'd have to include serving utensils (the only non-biodegradable, single-use item in his restaurant) with our order.

In summary... I'm very excited that this place is in the neighborhood. It has joined my roster of $10 / 10-minute meal options.

Alex

Finally tried this place over the weekend. The flavors were great, but everything needed about 5 more minutes in a hot oven: the skin on the chicken wasn't at all crispy, the sweet potatoes were soggy. The noodle thing was the only unqualified "hit" of the visit.

I'll be the naysayer on the noodles and cheese here: the slice I had was mushy and bland--no crispness, virtually no cheese flavor. The Columbian chicken, on the other hand, had a nicely flavored skin--neither the coffee or coconut milk stood out as much as a nice dark tang. Not crispy, but still delicious. If I go again, I'd likely try a wrap--they look to be huge.

wraps are legit, if not a bit on the pricey side. Personally the vegetarian one is my favorite. Regardless, as with most things there, it needs salt. And make sure you have some gum with you if you plan on being in public there after. There is no soft hand with the fresh onions in this fine establishment.

S.

I love this place. The food is happy and delicious (I like especially the Columbian chicken), the location is convenient to my home, and the price is right. I've been buying a whole chicken at the beginning of the week and eating it for several lunches and dinners.

I went back to Chix... they still roast a fine chicken, but I have to say the sides are a little dreary, especially the veggie trio. Limp sauteed veggies, not a lot of flavor. The black beans and rice were still okay, but I'm looking for something delicious. Can anyone recommend a side for my next trip?

In other news, they plan to start serving beer by mid-June, which sounds great to me.

Alex