Next Food Network Star

DanCole42

Does the world really need another FoodTV network star? Aren't there enough now? I personally find myself enthralled with the monkey sporting the platinum hair that visits the diners. He's like a cross between a train wreck and a flaming bag of dog shit on your doorstep. You can't decide whether to stare at it uncontrollably or stomp the hell out of it.

I enjoy watching the show although I don't think they really need another Food TV personality. I think people tune in to watch the disaster much like Hell's Kitchen.

However, last season's winner, Aaron McCargo, Jr., has seen low ratings for his own show, "Big Daddy's House," in keeping with generally small viewership and short runs for past "Next Food Network Star" winners.
Hollywoodreporter.com

Which one was "our local chef"? And who was eliminated?

I missed it at 9 or 10, started watching at midnight and fell asleep.

Skipper

Teddy Folkman is the local contestant, of Granville Moore's (and recently, the Cap Lounge). I'm sure people don't care that much, but

Eddie

was eliminated. The presentation he gave for Good Housekeeping was hilariously ridiculous!!

One of the DCist folks works with Teddy and she chalks it up to editing, etc.

Haven't taken the time to read through the whole blog posting yet.. but while I have no doubt that LOTS of editing goes into any reality show to make it watchable (debateable with most), there's only so much editing can do. I mean, he did say the things they showed him say right? I'm thinking specifically about the backpedaling on the dessert and claiming that the meatloaf was "his".

What is wrong with Teddy? Multiple personality disorder? Now I have no desire to eat at Granville Moore's knowing that he's a pyscho.

Son...if you're going base your dining choices on personality traits or perceptions than you should just stay at home and eat where its safe :D Cause most of us in this business and some of the best chefs in this city and the world are "pyscho" :blink: If you haven't eaten Teddy's cooking, you are doing yourself a disservice

Every one of these reality show competitions is not necessarily about finding the "best" of whatever it's about. It is really about creating drama that will draw in an audience that the Food Network can deliver to their sponsors. That said, producers of these types of shows are always looking to create a villain, someone who the audience loves to hate, and will watch the show in order to hope the designated villain will not win.

What that probably means is that Teddy will not be among the first eliminated--they will have him stick around until the end in order to create dramatic tension and suspense, as they continue to highlight any unease that the others feel about him. Face it, shows where everyone is nice to each other can get flat. Last season's Top Chef was notable in that the competitors were collaborative and helped each other and didn't "throw each other under the bus"--so a big deal was made of the innocuous flirtation and single kiss between Hosea and Leah. It was the only form of dramatic tension that the producers could come up with. Remember Tiffani? Marcel? Much more interesting.

Teddy is a colorful character, but he is hyper and impulsive and doesn't have an internal editor that modulates his ambitiousness. He's not tactical enough to win--though he "refused" to say anything when Bret suggested that he and Teddy were responsible for Melissa's dish, which they helped her plate, he didn't defend her from Bret's attack. Big mistake.

The Food Network is notable for not having any Asian or South Asian hosts. Last season (or was it the one before?) they had an Indian woman on and the program VPs even said that they were eager to have a show with a South Asian host. She, unfortunately couldn't handle the pressure, and flamed out rather spectacularly. At this point, it's looking to me that it is Debbie, the young Korean woman's to lose. The judge's feedback about her has been almost all positive and she looks a little bit like a G-rated Margaret Cho, someone familiar, yet one who the audience can feel safe with. She had a slight slip on the first episode, but it didn't really hurt her, and she won't make that kind of mistake again. I'm seeing the next tier down as charming Jeffrey, polished Jamika, and housewife next door Melissa, who are all types who are already well-represented among Food Network hosts, and I'm afraid that Michael, the out-there gay guy is trumped by the large presence of Guy Fieri, who has that edgy "young" dude demographic covered and is straight. They did the gay couple, "The Hearty Boys" and that didn't last long.

YMMV.

Anymore. Ming Tsai did win an Emmy for his FN show, back in the early days.
Then again how many other Asian cooking show hosts have aired in the US at all?

Martin Yan.

Kylie Kwong (doesn't really count as she's an Aussie and her show was originally aired there)

Any others that I'm missing?

For that matter how many minority cooking show hosts have there ever been on national TV (PBS, FN, other cable channels that show cooking shows)? I'd give FN some credit for at least trying recently with newish shows such as the Neelys (as much as they annoy me) and Ingrid Hoffman.

Martin Yan.

Kylie Kwong (doesn't really count as she's an Aussie and her show was originally aired there)

For that matter how many minority cooking show hosts have there ever been on national TV (PBS, FN, other cable channels that show cooking shows)? I'd give FN some credit for at least trying recently with newish shows such as the Neelys (as much as they annoy me) and Ingrid Hoffman.

Agree. I believe Daisy Martinez is crossing over to TFN too. I've been watching her on PBS for a while, and she's got one of those personas that comes through the screen.

Martin Yan.

The first Chinese tv chef was Joyce Chen who was on PBS back in the Galloping Gourmet days. She was unintentionally hilarious, a non-telegenic middle-aged woman whose English was almost unintelligible--for a budding young mimic like me, she was a godsend. I kept my family and friends in stitches with a routine where I imitated her recitation of important Chinese dishes and ingredients. To avoid being accused of racism, I will simply say that some of them were: bird nest soup, shark fin soup and hundred year-old eggs. I will leave her pronunciation to your imaginations.

Joyce Chen was one of the first tv chefs to become a brand, and her family still runs the company that sells cooking utensils, condiments and foods bearing her name.

I'm surprised. Now they're down to two men. I thought Teddy had another week due to the m/f ratio. Katie should not be there. Raw lamb is bad, but raw turkey?

While I certainly don't think Katie will WIN (or even be around for many more episodes), I don't think she should be judged too harshly for that. Let's say someone is a fantastic on-camera personality, knows tons about cooking (and is quite good at it), but is simply not used to working under a time limit. I'm not saying that Katie has those qualities, but it's worth noting that she KNEW her food was undercooked. There was just no way for her to fix it in the time allotted.

While I certainly don't think Katie will WIN (or even be around for many more episodes), I don't think she should be judged too harshly for that. Let's say someone is a fantastic on-camera personality, knows tons about cooking (and is quite good at it), but is simply not used to working under a time limit. I'm not saying that Katie has those qualities, but it's worth noting that she KNEW her food was undercooked. There was just no way for her to fix it in the time allotted.

The problem with this "Lets say..." hypothetical is that Katie is neither fantastic on camera, nor does she seem to know tons about cooking. Knowing when turkey and lamb is raw does not show much talent. I'm surprised they're keeping her around.

The problem with this "Lets say..." hypothetical is that Katie is neither fantastic on camera, nor does she seem to know tons about cooking. Knowing when turkey and lamb is raw does not show much talent. I'm surprised they're keeping her around.

A basic problem seems to be the way she is interpreting and presenting her "culinary point of view." She's been criticized repeatedly for making healthy food sound unappealing. She presumably went with turkey over beef for the burger because it's "healthier," despite the fact it would take longer to cook than beef, a huge problem with such a short time allotted for cooking. She even said that she knew it would take longer. I don't think she mentioned how healthy the burger was when she served it, though, so that's progress :D

The first Chinese tv chef was Joyce Chen who was on PBS back in the Galloping Gourmet days. She was unintentionally hilarious, a non-telegenic middle-aged woman whose English was almost unintelligible--for a budding young mimic like me, she was a godsend. I kept my family and friends in stitches with a routine where I imitated her recitation of important Chinese dishes and ingredients. To avoid being accused of racism, I will simply say that some of them were: bird nest soup, shark fin soup and hundred year-old eggs. I will leave her pronunciation to your imaginations.

Entertainment for next DR picnic is now lined up.

MY biggest problem with the show continues to be Zora's lack of participation :D

I did show up for the local audition. Where were you, Dan? Our local Metrocurean Amanda made it to the semi-finals in NYC, but not onto the show. The pretty young blonde with long, straight hair who beat Amanda for the pretty young blond slot was eliminated on the first episode, so go figure.

Have you noticed that there's nobody involved who looks to be over 40? Debbie, the Korean gal, can be described as zaftig, but she is the only woman who is. Presumably her personality is appealing enough that her weight isn't counting against her--as in Ina Garten's case. When Ina started on the FN, in the early days, it was cooking chops and teaching ability that counted the most. Her lovable "faghag" personality (forgive me, any PCers out there who are offended by the term, but that is what she is, bless her heart) has won her legions of loyal fans, and the FN brass would eliminate her or Paula Deen only if they were seriously self-destructive. But they aren't willing to consider hiring any new older or overweight white women to host any of their shows--the notable exception being Mario Batali's sous-chef Anne whats-her-name, who is on on Saturday mornings, who has outstanding cooking chops. She comes across young, though, whatever her actual age is, edgy, kind of hyper and trying too hard to be hip and funny--sort of like Guy Fieri in drag.

As far as Katie is concerned--how that dim bulb made it onto the show is a total mystery. I suppose that some would consider her pretty, but so what? There is flat-out nothing interesting about her, and that's the reason the judges are tuning her out when she talks, not just because she talks about nutrition in a regurgitated-from-a-textbook way. She's gotta be the next one eliminated.

Teddy just never found his groove and it was time to go. The doe-eyed "healthy cook" is next. Melissa did a great job, but I wonder if they need another Robin Miller. I would agree she has the Sarah Moulton appeal, but not the depth of knowledge. But, she could go the distance-her confidence is growing by leaps and bounds. It seems that your learning curve has to be pretty steep to stay in the pack on this show. Of the remaining contestants, Michael has yet to find his mojo in front of the camera. He's got a big personality, but is humble and funny...and caring. He seemed so distressed about Debbie's injury, when it was truly her fault. She was very focused on what she was doing, and in a small kitchen with two whirling dervishes trying to get a lot of food out, she needed to be more aware of her surroundings. In addition, trotting out the whole "look at me, I'm Korean!!" only goes so far. I wish that she'd stop trying to use it to her advantage. It's convenient, but lazy. Same thing happened on last season's Top Chef when the Indian chef didn't want to be known for her ethnicity, but used it as a crutch constantly.

I think it's Melissa, Jamika and Jeffrey in the finals.

The challenges presented to the contestants seem like cruel hazing rituals, especially for people with little or no previous on-camera experience. No chance to rehearse--just go out and improvise and demonstrate a complete recipe in five minutes to a live and national television audience. Be clever, relaxed, self-confident and get it all done in the allotted time. On top of that, the food needs to be inventive, well-cooked and delicious, even if the stove doesn't work. They all end up looking pathetic, and nobody who cooks on t.v. has to do it under those conditions.

The challenges presented to the contestants seem like cruel hazing rituals, especially for people with little or no previous on-camera experience. No chance to rehearse--just go out and improvise and demonstrate a complete recipe in five minutes to a live and national television audience. Be clever, relaxed, self-confident and get it all done in the allotted time. On top of that, the food needs to be inventive, well-cooked and delicious, even if the stove doesn't work. They all end up looking pathetic, and nobody who cooks on t.v. has to do it under those conditions.

To me, that's the beauty of the show. Last night they threw in the added twist of working in teams...don't just present one dish in 5 minutes, try two! And share the camera with a competitor. This show is sheer genius. And what the contestants don't seem to understand is that, with the exception of Guy Fieri, their only chance at Food Network "stardom" is their face-time on "The Next Food Network Star."

And what the contestants don't seem to understand is that, with the exception of Guy Fieri, their only chance at Food Network "stardom" is their face-time on "The Next Food Network Star."

Doesn't keep Food Network from shoving "Big Daddy" down our throats any, though.

It's looking to me like Melissa and Jeffrey could be the finalists. Maybe they should give them a show together--"Cooking With the Spunky Mom and the Cool Dad"

I would really love to see Melissa win. She reminds me of Annette Benning in American Beauty, and I would just love to be able to watch a cooking show with a host who had been banged in a seedy motel by Peter Gallagher.

...and I would just love to be able to watch a cooking show with a host who had been banged in a seedy motel by Peter Gallagher.

This is about as close as you'll get, except with David Duchovny instead of Peter Gallagher: a clip from SHOwtime's Californication, Season 2 Episode 5.

Warning: seriously, seriously Not Safe For Work. Raunchy. Mature audiences only.

Looks like Melissa is gonna take it. She has steadily improved and clearly wants to win more than the others. Food Network does not need another spunky mom who spices up weeknight meals...sigh. Michael was a fun competitor who could have had an interesting show...but once he said he hated being on camera, he had no chance after that.

Looks like Melissa is gonna take it. She has steadily improved and clearly wants to win more than the others. Food Network does not need another spunky mom who spices up weeknight meals...sigh.

A lot of people loved Sara Moulton, and the FN never really found anyone to replace her. Of course, along with being a cute, blonde, spunky mom who knew how to spice up weeknight meals, Sara Moulton was a CIA graduate with professional cooking creds. But Food Network's current formula clearly values personality over professionalism.

But Food Network's current formula clearly values personality over professionalism.

And why wouldn't they? You can have a great chef script recipes and tips for a personality with great charisma, but someone with great charisma can't script personality for a great chef.

And why wouldn't they? You can have a great chef script recipes and tips for a personality with great charisma, but someone with great charisma can't script personality for a great chef.

Their most effective tv personalities on Food Network have had both--Emeril, Mario, Bobby Flay, Tyler Florence, Wolfgang Puck, Ina Garten. I haven't liked them all--couldn't stand Emeril's shtick, but he clearly is a very knowledgeable chef. And they are all interesting and charismatic personalities. But they have gotten rid of most of them in favor of courting a younger viewing demographic, who presumably prefer to watch Guy Fiere, Adam Gertler and Ask Aida. Too bad--they lost me, for the most part.

There's something very satisfying when the team you've been rooting for, especially when they're the underdog, goes on to win the big game.

Jeffrey was perfectly dull. "Look at me with my perfect life and gorgeous family that gets along perfectly well in our perfect house. I do not know the meaning of nonplussed. I am never fazed. I. AM. BORING!" Melissa in lacking that perfection is far more real and entertaining.

My greatest joy would be for it to come out that Jeffrey and Melissa have been having an affair. Not so perfect NOW, huh, Mr. Winning Smile? Hellooooooo ratings!

There's something very satisfying when the team you've been rooting for, especially when they're the underdog, goes on to win the big game.

Jeffrey was perfectly dull. "Look at me with my perfect life and gorgeous family that gets along perfectly well in our perfect house. I do not know the meaning of nonplussed. I am never fazed. I. AM. BORING!" Melissa in lacking that perfection is far more real and entertaining.

My greatest joy would be for it to come out that Jeffrey and Melissa have been having an affair. Not so perfect NOW, huh, Mr. Winning Smile? Hellooooooo ratings!

Yuck. I find Melissa extremely annoying, and she is yet another FN "save time" geared at working Moms. Like we needed another one of those. And she tries too hard and appears forced. If she is supposed to be more entertaining to men, then I guess that's what sold her. Real? Give me a break...

I like Jeffrey; I actually would have tuned in to find his show on the FN, whereas I won't be seeking out Melissa's. He reminds me of another show I used to watch on Discovery called "Chef at Home" with Michael Smith. Unfortunately it is from FN Canada, and not shown in the states any longer. I find both Michael and Jeffery informative and likable.

Yuck. I find Melissa extremely annoying, and she is yet another FN "save time" geared at working Moms. Like we needed another one of those. And she tries too hard and appears forced. If she is supposed to be more entertaining to men, then I guess that's what sold her. Real? Give me a break...

I like Jeffrey; I actually would have tuned in to find his show on the FN, whereas I won't be seeking out Melissa's. He reminds me of another show I used to watch on Discovery called "Chef at Home" with Michael Smith. Unfortunately it is from FN Canada, and not shown here in the states. I find both Michael and Jeffery informative and likable.

I actually enjoyed watching both of them - but felt that Melissa needed a bit more polish. She sometimes made me nervous wondering if she was going to be able to articulate without shaking. Jeffrey was cool - and his food always looked appealing.

If I could only have one of the two cook for me - it would be Jeffrey..His dishes have that "hmmm, I haven't had this before" feeling

I actually enjoyed watching both of them - but felt that Melissa needed a bit more polish. She sometimes made me nervous wondering if she was going to be able to articulate without shaking. Jeffrey was cool - and his food always looked appealing.

If I could only have one of the two cook for me - it would be Jeffrey..His dishes have that "hmmm, I haven't had this before" feeling

I didn't watch the show tonight, but the outcome is not a surprise to me. Melissa has the Paula Dean-and-Sandra Lee-ish semi-tragic back story and the plucky, pretty mom next door quality that will appeal to their daytime/early weekend female viewers. Don't look for her in the evenings, when they broadcast their testosterone-fest competitions and junk food eating extravaganzas designed to appeal to male viewers.

I didn't watch the show tonight, but the outcome is not a surprise to me. Melissa has the Paula Dean-and-Sandra Lee-ish semi-tragic back story and the plucky, pretty mom next door quality that will appeal to their daytime/early weekend female viewers. Don't look for her in the evenings, when they broadcast their testosterone-fest competitions and junk food eating extravaganzas designed to appeal to male viewers.

Agreed. Thoough I think Melissa deserved to win and that she wanted it most. She seemed to treat every week like a job interview. I thought Jeffrey's concept was interesting, even if the name Alton gave it was horrible (the Ingredient Smuggler???). How about the name "Spice Trade" or something like that?

The Food Network sas a strong gender dynamic of women who do "spiced up home-cooking" and men who do "cheffy" things...Melissa and Jeffrey played right into those roles. Blarg.

I like Jeffrey; I actually would have tuned in to find his show on the FN, whereas I won't be seeking out Melissa's. He reminds me of another show I used to watch on Discovery called "Chef at Home" with Michael Smith. Unfortunately it is from FN Canada, and not shown in the states any longer. I find both Michael and Jeffery informative and likable.

I didn't mind Melissa in the earlier episodes, but the past few weeks I began to find her increasingly annoying. She was able to rein in the harried/manic behavior, but it seemed as though her frenetic tendencies were kept in check just beneath the surface. I find it tiring to watch her.

Jeffrey kept the same mellow attitude through the entire thing, which I found soothing. I'd compare it to a Michael Chiarello kind of vibe. I always enjoyed watching him. Don't know if he's still on Food TV or not. I hardly watch the channel anymore, which makes it kind of funny that I watch NFNS, especially given that I also don't watch reality shows :rolleyes: . The only past NFNS winner I've watched was Amy Finley, and she declined to renew her contract with them. (I didn't watch the season Guy Fieri won. I only watch him if I am looking for something, anything to watch on tv. I never seek him out.)

I agree with squids, except that I don't think Melissa has any real appeal to testosterone laden drooling Giada fans. Her voice alone was enough of a turnoff -- like nails on a blackboard.

I also would have found Jeffrey's pilot more interesting and would probably give it a chance, but the demographic for Melissa's pilot was much much bigger than that for Jeffrey's. It was inevitable that she would win based on the pitch alone.

PS - Michael Smith creeped me out.

Her voice alone was enough of a turnoff -- like nails on a blackboard.

It's only been in the past several weeks that I really noticed the voice. I don't know why it took so long to stand out and bother me, but once it did, the annoyance factor shot way up.

Oh, don't get me wrong. As a foodie, I would much rather watch Jeffrey's show. I love the whole "one ingredient" concept. I think it really encourages creativity and helps teach appreciation of the flavor and technique rather than justing "roting the recipe."

But from a business point of view, they made the right decision for two reasons:

1) In terms of winning a reality show, they chose the person with the more compelling story.

2) In terms of attracting viewers, they chose the one with the broadest appeal.

And Pat - I think "mellow and soothing" is exactly why they didn't choose him. A male going for an "adventure" concept show should not come off as soothingly mellow. :rolleyes:

For his show, I envisioned an Indiana Jones-type opening with a red line flying over a map overlaying the host picking up exotic ingredients. He comes back into the kitchen, takes off his pith helmet, and lays in! CRIKEY!

Well, no surprise that Melissa won. I think that she may have been the dark-horse in the beginning of the competition, but she emerged as the odds on favorite to take the win. I don't think Jeffrey had a chance-not because of his performance or platform, but because Melissa was perfectly poised to slide into Sarah Moulton's slot since it has not been filled yet. While Melissa has no formal trianing, like Sarah, she is cute, blonde, petite, relatable, and can quickly feed a family with delicious food. There's just a bigger demographic for Melissa.

Although "Ingredient Smuggler" was an awkward name, the concept is solid. I DID want to make something with harissa, and I had to wonder what other less-often used ingredients from afar I would be encouraged to use next. I liked Jeffrey's energy too-positive, eager, and smooth around the edges.

I think Jeffrey will get a show-actually, I hope he does. I agree with Zora-women get put into the "quick-fix" and solution-oriented cooking shows. The men are shown in a different light as chefs with cooking chops, and teach culinary skills vs. home cooking. Just think "How To Boil Water" with Teacher Tyler Florence and his "protege/helper", Jack.

For his show, I envisioned an Indiana Jones-type opening with a red line flying over a map overlaying the host picking up exotic ingredients. He comes back into the kitchen, takes off his pith helmet, and lays in! CRIKEY!

They've already got the guy who does that: Alton Brown.