Dinner - The Polyphonic Food Blog

JPW

Romaine salad with bell pepper, cucumber, hard-boiled eggs, bacon, and grape tomatoes; white balsamic-mustard vinaigrette
Grilled chicken drumsticks with BBQ sauce
Grilled hotdogs
Grill baked sweet potato
Crock pot pulled pork
Whole wheat hot dog buns

I forgot to cook the corn on the cob :(  We'll have it tonight with leftovers.

For anyone who gets a South Mountain Creamery delivery and hasn't tried them, the chicken drumsticks they sell are wonderful.  They're quite small but cook up very tender and moist.  The hotdogs and pork shoulder were also from an SMC delivery.

Tonight was a sad dinner of frozen chicken tenders that I heated up while also roasted some broccoli. And a couple chocolate mints because when the cat's away the mouse hates cooking dinner, eats whatever and works too much.

Last night was spaghetti and meat sauce which sounds boring, but was pretty darn tasty.  The night before that I made pesto and had chicken paillard with pesto sauce and a salad of leaf lettuces from the farmers market and freshly-made caesar dressing.  

• Like 1

After a weekend of eating like a teenager, which at my age, is a very bad thing,  I am returning to sanity:

Salmon poached in water infused with lemon and ginger, garlic; served with a spicy Thai peanut sauce over jasmine rice with steamed carrots. 

The peanut sauce was actually a salad dressing I made to test a recipe for the cooking class I am doing tomorrow at the food pantry.  Peanut butter, rice wine vinegar, vegetable oil, soy sauce, lime, ginger, garlic.  I added Siracha when I used it for the salmon.  I think the next time I make it I will add a touch of sesame oil. 

• Like 2

Last night was a King Ranch chicken casserole, a modified version that was mostly from scratch. I intended to make salad too, but the casserole took so much time than I abandoned plans for anything else.

Last night was chicken thighs with teriyaki sauce, sauteed carrots, broccoli stem, shallot, green onion, bell pepper with sesame and rice.  We had store bought key lime pie for dessert.

Monday night was mussels in tomato and white wine sauce with garlic (although it was good it could have used even more garlic) with individual size homemade crusty boules.  

I'd forgotten just how easy and tasty it is to do fajita fixings on the grill.  The last couple of weekends, took 2 sliced chicken breasts, sliced up a bell pepper and an onion, tossed all of them with some seasoning and oil and then into a grill basket for about 10 min, dinner is served.  Last night, we had the cheese and tortillas on hand, but I wanted something a little different instead. My husband was home for the day, so he marinated some shrimp, and when I came home, the rice was almost done and I just needed to toss the shrimp on the grill.  Loved the marinade and just had some of the leftovers for lunch today, yum.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Katya4me said:

I'd forgotten just how easy and tasty it is to do fajita fixings on the grill.  The last couple of weekends, took 2 sliced chicken breasts, sliced up a bell pepper and an onion, tossed all of them with some seasoning and oil and then into a grill basket for about 10 min, dinner is served.  Last night, we had the cheese and tortillas on hand, but I wanted something a little different instead. My husband was home for the day, so he marinated some shrimp, and when I came home, the rice was almost done and I just needed to toss the shrimp on the grill.  Loved the marinade and just had some of the leftovers for lunch today, yum.

Fajitas are my desert island food, the food that I could eat in a row for more consecutive days than any other.

Toasted baguette slices
Steak salad over romaine, with hard-boiled egg, feta, tomato, avocado, and radishes; champagne-caper vinaigrette
Baked halibut almondine
Sauteed broccolini
Couscous with yellow squash

I am happy to report that the Momofuku style bo ssam works nicely in the smoker.  We have an electric smoker and set it for 275, smoked for about 8 hours on a mix of hickory and applewood, and then did the finishing crust in the oven.  The pork picked up a mild smoke flavor that was surprisingly subtle.  We modify the sauces from the NYT recipe because they appear to be designed for wimps who need their flavors diluted with oil.  For the ginger scallion sauce, we use a fraction of the oil, and for the pepper sauce, we use a fraction of the oil and thin a bit with soju.  In addition, we rinse the pork well once it is out of its brine.  Without a good rinse it can be obnoxiously salty.  

Leftovers make one hell of a pulled pork sandwich.

• Like 2

Last night was Tuscan chicken sausages (Whole Foods), garlic, and caramelized onions braised in Bell's Cherry Stout, served over leftover couscous and broccolini.

Friday;
Green leaf lettuce and frisee salad with tomato, cucumber, Easter radishes, hard-boiled egg, and bacon; homemade garlic pepper croutons; white balsamic vinaigrette
Baked chicken legs
Mashed potatoes
Steamed broccoli with hot pepper sesame oil and toasted sliced almonds

Thursday:
Red and green leaf lettuce, frisee, hard-boiled egg, avocado, Easter radishes, tomato, and cucumber; homemade garlic-pepper croutons; lemony cilantro vinaigrette
Turkey meatloaf topped with bacon
Mashed maple sweet potato

Wednesday:
Leftover steak salad
Leftover couscous with added chipotle
Pepper jack quesadillas

Dinner overlooking the beach:

Cheesy bread

Marinated cucumbers

Fresh corn, cut from the cob and sautéed with roasted tomatoes and onions, and a bit of hot chili powder and smoked paprika

Grilled pork chops brined with "Cajun seasonings"

• Like 1

Last night was leftover Nicoise salad, baked chicken thighs, and s skillet sauté of kale, onions, garlic, bacon, vinegar, and raisins, done in the pan drippings from the bacon.

Garlic bread and a big salad of romaine, arugula, marinated tomatoes, celery, and nicoise olives, topped with cubes of grilled tofu that had been marinated in rice vinegar and peanut oil with soy sauce, shallot, ginger and garlic. Some of the marinade supplemented the dressing already on the salad from the tomatoes.  I'd never tried topping a salad with tofu before, but I had tofu I wanted to use, and it worked out well.

I was going to put some parsley in the garlic butter on the bread but couldn't find it in the refrigerator, so I chopped up some celery leaves in its place.

Tonight friends are contributing to a birthday dinner.

Champagne With Smoked Fish dip and crackers to start.

Dinner is grilled swordfish and two racks of lamb, grilled asparagus and a pasta salad (orzo, roasted tomatoes, roasted red pepper, blanched zucchini and yellow squash, artichoke hearts...with a dressing of smashed roasted garlic, olive oil, lemon juice, balsamic vinegar and Italian herbs).

Pinot Noir and Sauvignon Blanc with dinner

Dessert is Tortuga Rum Cake (favorite of birthday girl), ice cream (Kilwin's toasted coconut or salted caramel), strawberries.

Came home from vacation this evening to find a bag of cucumbers and a bag of zucchini on the doorstep.  Too worn out to do any real cooking, but some sauteed zucchini with garlic and pepper hit the spot.  Accompanied by some foccacia from Red Truck Bakery that I picked up on the way home.  My first time to the location in Marshall.  Very nice!  My wife came down with a cold this morning, but still got a cranberry-orange-walnut muffin  that she said was the only thing that has remotely looked appealing to her today.  Got a brownie for my daughter and stole part of it.  Very impressive.  Tasted like chocolate.  Does not sound that impressive, until you stop to ask yourself how many brownies you have enjoyed that tasted like real, high quality, chocolate.  If you get a chance, check it out!

1 hour ago, silentbob said:

I somehow managed to miss lunch, so am having avocado toast with the Palladin from Bread Furst and some olive oil/sriracha.  Ordinarily there would be a runny egg too, but my instinct was to let the bread remain the star. 

"Where to Find Avocado Toast in D.C." on dc.eater.com

Ron Tanaka knocked this dish out of the park when he was at Cork

I can't remember ever having avocado toast with an egg on it - my initial reaction is "mush on mush," but that means little because there's nothing, taste-wise, about either ingredient that I see clashing. But I'm remembering the crumbled pistachios Ron used for texture - I think those would work well here.

Both avocado and egg make anything better - do they make each other better?

I guess now that I'm thinking about it, I've had slices of avocado on my deviled egg sandwich before, so this isn't anything controversial. :)

19 hours ago, DonRocks said:

I can't remember ever having avocado toast with an egg on it - my initial reaction is "mush on mush," but that means little because there's nothing, taste-wise, about either ingredient that I see clashing. But I'm remembering the crumbled pistachios Ron used for texture - I think those would work well here.

Both avocado and egg make anything better - do they make each other better?

I guess now that I'm thinking about it, I've had slices of avocado on my deviled egg sandwich before, so this isn't anything controversial. :)

What inspired this combination for me was the avocado toast that we had at the Free Range food truck in LA last Thanksgiving, with an over easy egg cooked inside and topped with pickled onions.  They also served one of the best fried chicken sandwiches I've ever eaten.

• Like 1

I'm feeling a bit terrible about this, but aside from spaghetti with frozen pre-made meatballs that I baked, I haven't cooked dinner since July 9, and I am not going to cook tonight or tomorrow night.  That might be the longest stretch I have ever gone without really cooking.  

Went through the pantry and found some simmer sauces that needed to be used up ASAP.  So, the other night sauteed up some chicken breasts with some frozen mixed veggies that had been lurking for an undetermined amount of time and tossed with a butter chicken sauce, served over brown rice and called it done.  Not every night is complicated, but it was reasonably tasty.

8 hours ago, ktmoomau said:

I'm feeling a bit terrible about this, but aside from spaghetti with frozen pre-made meatballs that I baked, I haven't cooked dinner since July 9, and I am not going to cook tonight or tomorrow night.  That might be the longest stretch I have ever gone without really cooking.  

Sweetheart, try it for 10+ years. :)

And *then* try going from "all" to "nothing," instantly. Ugh ...

I'm back to cooking more again, but this time of year is typically when I cook the least.

Last night was a green salad (green leaf lettuce, romaine, carrot greens, cucumber, and avocado) with tomato vinaigrette; bruschetta topped with the solids from making the (strained) vinaigrette; and Carapulcra, a Peruvian meat and potato stew.  

A few weeks ago, I was wandering the ethnic and specialty aisles at the Potomac Yards Shoppers Food Warehouse while waiting for my car to be worked on and found dried yellow potatoes in the Peruvian section. I picked up the red chili paste the package recipe called for, knowing I had yellow chili paste at home. I cobbled together an approach from that recipe and two I found online, and the result was pretty good.  I need to go back today and try to take note of what I did in some detail before I forget.

Due to the discussion I keep seeing here, I made Chicken Parmesan tonight.  I had a portion of a baguette left, so my husband got his as a sandwich. The accompaniment was broccoli rabe, done in a sort of frittata style.  I blanched it, cooled in an ice bath, chopped it up and then cooked with some hot sauce in the skillet the chicken had come out of.  I added the last of the milk and egg from dredging the chicken and put the hot skillet in the oven and turned the temperature off to finish all the way through.  I hate wasting the egg from dredging. (I used 3 eggs plus some milk for three skinless boneless breast halves.)

• Like 4

Tomato weekend! Hope it's just the first of a few. August is such a great month in this area! Love the tomatoes, corn, cantaloupe, cucumbers, crab, watermelon, and peaches etc. you can get this time of year. Squash.

Made Lidia's tomato sauce with "suffocated" eggplant with Romas from our garden. So good!

Cherry tomato pizza at Inferno Pizzeria in Darnestown, MD. Thanks Chef Conte!

Alfred Portale's roasted tomato risotto with more of our Romas. Really turned out well. You could taste a bit of every ingredient in the end: onion, garlic, coarse salt, ground black pepper, bacon, cream, Parm Regg, thyme, basil, chives, etc.

• Like 1

I grilled pork tenderloin that I had marinated in thick Indonesian soy sauce, red wine, garlic, honey, hot sauce and olive oil.  I also made a yellow squash casserole with onion, Panko breadcrumbs, cheddar cheese, egg, milk, thyme, parsley, lots of black pepper.  We rounded it out with a salad of local cucumbers and tomatoes with basil, and mint, and a light vinaigrette with a bit of sugar. 

We all wondered why we stopped  eating things like yellow squash casserole in this country?  I know it stopped being cool, but it didn't stop being delicious. 

• Like 3

An assortment of stir-fried semi-fresh produce that out-survived the other stuff which we composted. Served up on a bed of udon noodles with baked red miso-coated tofu cubes. I also made some lamb burgers with garlic, ginger, soy sauce, lots of red pepper flakes, red onion, and sesame oil. Those burgers rocked!

I cooked, for two nights in a row!  Last night I made a riff off of tan tan noodles with ground hot Italian sausage, leeks, garlic, miso, white wine, carrots and spinach (I didn't have bok choy) with noodles.  It was delicious.  

Tonight was spaghetti with the Italian sausage and zucchini, which was fine, but I think the casings didn't taste that good, and it was much better when I pulled it out last night.  

• Like 1

I had ingredients I bought to use in recipes I never got around to making so decided they had to be used in something ASAP.  I cooked up a whole lot of bacon, which went into the fridge to be used in coming days and then fried some onion and a large amount of baby spinach in bacon fat. Once that was mostly cooked down, I added about 1/2 lb. sliced shiitakes to the pot and cooked a bit further, along with some hot pepper flakes.  That was served over plain brown rice, with poached salmon over top.  

• Like 1

Last night:
Cava roasted garlic hummus and whole wheat pita bread
Casarecce pasta* with spinach - almond pesto
Chicken roulades with spinach - almond pesto and goat cheese
Green beans with butter, s + p

*A shape similar to cavatappi but open at one end and looped like a ribbon. I eyeballed it when making the pesto and had way too much for the chicken roulades, so i cooked up the last of a box of the pasta to use the rest.  I also topped the chicken rolls with additional pesto, shredded Parmesan and dots of goat cheese. It was a pretty green meal:)

• Like 1

BLT last night.

Saturday night we had a cookout with friends and had corn roasted directly on the grill with some soy sauce butter, tomato watermelon feta salad, burgers and skillet fried old bay potatoes.  It sounds like an odd combination, but it was very good.