Dinner - The Polyphonic Food Blog

JPW

Caprese bruschetta

Mixed lettuce salad with arugula, tomatoes and cucumber; miso-ginger vinaigrette

Leftover grilled chicken breast and drumsticks

Quinoa and gigande bean salad with quick pickled banana peppers

I've been working on variations of this recipe on strawberry and tomato sauce from Rose's Luxury.   The other night was the best.

Started with a little bit of tomato paste, added 1 small can of diced tomatos then added roughly equal parts fresh plum tomatoes and fresh strawberries all cut up.   Stewed for a long time.  Added mirepoix with heavy carrots, onions and a little celery, added significant garlic, spiced with a little sweet Italian sausage and added chopped up rosemary at the end over fresh pasta.

Easily the best version to date.  The strawberries weren't overpowering or dominant but added terrific additional flavoring and depth.

Now I need to get to Rose's, reluctantly wait in line, and try their version for further education and development.  ;)

fusilli with honey mushrooms, pea shoots, cherry tomatoes, pecorino toscano, hot pepper flakes

salad of baby greens and sunflower sprouts

watermelon with feta, Thai basil, jalapeno

a few slices of dry salami, olives, and a small wedge of a soft-ripened cow milk cheese

I love this time of year.

Mixed lettuces and arugula, tomato, and cucumber; miso-ginger vinaigrette

Tuna melts with sliced tomatoes and smoked Gouda

Sauteed Romano beans with bacon, smoked paprika, smoked grilled eggplant, and sherry vinegar

Rice noodles and julienned carrots tossed with Thai basil pesto.  This is an amazing recipe.  I subbed Vietnamese soy sauce for the fish sauce, but otherwise made it as written and will be making this one again with the mass of kaenip that is overgrowing my garden.  Next time I'm going to try Chinese toasted sesame paste instead of the peanuts, and I will cut or even omit the sugar. 

• Like 1

I need some dinner ideas.  Have to feed twelve non-foodies before a meeting Tuesday evening.  All I've been making recently is grain and veg salads.  I can't even think of meat in this weather, but most of these people will be weirded out by a meal not centered on protein.  Main requirement is something that can be prepped in advanced, and maybe even served at room temp.  If it were October maybe I'd roast a few cider-glazed pork tenderloins...  what's a good summery treatment for a tenderloin?   help

I need some dinner ideas.  Have to feed twelve non-foodies before a meeting Tuesday evening.  All I've been making recently is grain and veg salads.  I can't even think of meat in this weather, but most of these people will be weirded out by a meal not centered on protein.  Main requirement is something that can be prepped in advanced, and maybe even served at room temp.  If it were October maybe I'd roast a few cider-glazed pork tenderloins...  what's a good summery treatment for a tenderloin?   help

What about pasta with pesto and some chunks of cooked chicken breast?  Can be served hot, cold, or room temp, so long as it's not out real long from the fridge.  Add parsley or spinach to the basil for the pesto to keep it at a greener color if you make in advance.  You could also throw chopped tomatoes or halved cherry tomatoes on top.  And bread on the side.

Summer rolls to use up the overgrown kaenip from the garden.  FIlled with bean threads, yellow squash stir-fried in sesame oil, and loads of Thai basil and mint, all wrapped in the kaenip leaf before rolling.  Nuoc cham on the side.

Daiquiris.

If it were October maybe I'd roast a few cider-glazed pork tenderloins...  what's a good summery treatment for a tenderloin?   help

It's kind of late, since I assume you need this today, but I saw an article with recipes for a cold summer dinner on The NY Times website yesterday.  The article includes a recipe for cold pork roast (loin, not tenderloin) with fennel and green beans.

Last night we had mashed sweet potatoes with butter and maple syrup, corn on the cob, and buttered baguette (me) or cotta and mortadella on a buttered baguette with cornichons and homemade pickled banana peppers (husband).

Last night I breaded and fried two halibut fillets for fish sandwiches on Portuguese rolls with lettuce, tomato and homemade tartar sauce with mayo, relish, Key Lime Hot Sauce and Old Bay.  Side of a few tater tots and a slice of peach pie with a little bit of ginger.

last night:

antipasto plate with Olli salami, olives, sungold tomatoes, cucumber slices, Taleggio, goat gouda, and Roquefort with crackers

linguini with fresh tomatoes, olive oil, garlic, grated romano and parmesan cheese and fresh basil

sliced peach and nectarine with cream

2012 comolaluna palomino

room-temperature buffet spread for a club meeting:

sourdough bread

chicken salad with tarragon, capers, green olives, celery (sour cream and yogurt rather than mayo; didn't know how folks would react to raw egg)

tomato, mozzarella, basil salad

roasted corn with lime and manchego

gemelli with pesto

cucumbers and feta with Thai basil and white wine vinegar

white beans, fennel, and parsley salad

white peach-blueberry galettes

not quite ready for the oven (needed to fold the others and egg-wash; forgot to take an after pic):

post-554-0-45216300-1406115887_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Baguette and goat's milk brie

Salad of red and green leaf lettuce, red and yellow cherry tomatoes, cucumber, and mushrooms; buttermilk ranch dressing

Leftover lamb loin chops

Leftover corn on the cob

String beans

I made a variation of this galette tonight, I didn't roast the garlic I just tossed it on top of the ricotta.  And I didn't roast the squash, but I used summer squash, I just put it in raw and cooked it a bit longer than the recipe states.  I also didn't have fontina so I used a bit more parmesan than it called for it was really tasty.  A great way to use squash or zucchini.  I might make another one for this party I am going to Friday night. https://food52.com/recipes/7329-butternut-squash-and-roasted-garlic-galette

• Like 1

Lamb meatball "sliders" with tzatziki

Broiled King salmon

Plain couscous

Leftover maple mashed sweet potatoes

I impulsively purchased half a pound of ground lamb at Whole Foods yesterday.  It was on sale and they often don't even have it when I'm looking for it, so I took the opportunity.  I had no idea what I was going to do with it and had already planned on salmon for dinner.  I'd also bought some whole wheat hot dog buns for turkey sausages I was planning to grill over the weekend.  I always end up with extra hot dog buns when I buy them and find myself looking for creative ways to use them up.  (I find they don't freeze well.)  So I cut several buns into 2-inch segments and put a small baked lamb meatball in each with a little tzatziki. It made for a nice small course.

We've got several meatballs left, so if I end up with extra buns after I'm done with the sausages, I'll make more mini sandwiches.  Otherwise, we'll just eat them plain.

Lamb meatball "sliders" with tzatziki
Broiled King salmon
Leftover maple mashed sweet potatoes

We've got several meatballs left, so if I end up with extra buns after I'm done with the sausages, I'll make more mini sandwiches.  Otherwise, we'll just eat them plain.

I love to use extra meatballs Cava Grille style and make a rice bowl with them.  I just used some extra pork meatballs up by throwing them in some Top Ramen with some other stuff, lamb might be an interesting flavor for that. One can never have too many meatballs in my book.

baguette with homemade cultured butter

slow roasted salmon (wild chinook for me, farmed for J.--his preference) with dill, parsley and chives

haricots verts with olive oil, garlic and lemon

roasted new potatoes with pimenton

peach clafouti

2013 Royal chenin blanc

I love to use extra meatballs Cava Grille style and make a rice bowl with them.  I just used some extra pork meatballs up by throwing them in some Top Ramen with some other stuff, lamb might be an interesting flavor for that. One can never have too many meatballs in my book.

Hmm.  Some times I serve them with egg noodles.  I've never been to Cava Grille, so I don't know what their bowls are like.  I'll find something to do with them.

Last night I decided to salvage some tortilla chips that seemed to be stale straight out of the first opening of the bag.  I figured that heating them would overcome the staleness.  Unfortunately, the oven is not working very well.  The ordeal of making simple nachos has pushed me to having to make an expensive repair appointment...

Baby arugula and baby spinach, red and yellow cherry tomatoes, cucumber; buttermilk ranch dressing
Nachos with black beans, jack and habanero cheddar, chili beef, scallions, and avocado-tomatillo salsa; sour cream

It's kind of late, since I assume you need this today, but I saw an article with recipes for a cold summer dinner on The NY Times website yesterday.  The article includes a recipe for cold pork roast (loin, not tenderloin) with fennel and green beans.

I forgot to say thank you for posting this link.  It was too late, but it looks good, so I've bookmarked it for a future meal.  :)

last night:

g&t for J

charcoal-grilled spice-rubbed tri-tip--a long time since I have seen, let alone grilled a tri-tip. I was reminded why it was in regular rotation before we moved east. delicious!

grilled baby bok choy

grilled baguette

pan-crisped halved leftover new potatoes

peach clafouti redux, this time with some heavy cream

Sunshine pils

Salad of baby spinach, baby arugula, and red and yellow cherry tomatoes; homemade buttermilk ranch dressing

Mustard Chicken from the newest David Lebovitz cookbook

Buttered boiled new potatoes with dill

favorite "it's really summer now" meal: chopped fresh tomatoes tossed with basil, fresh mozzarella, really good olive oil, and pasta.

Does anyone else think this whole "tunnel tomatoes" trend is bs?  It is.  They aren't much better then Florida tomatoes in January.  Growers need to KITFO and stop trying to push the season.  Tomatoes just aren't going to taste right in June in this area.  Same goes for peaches.

Salad of baby spinach, baby arugula, avocado, cucumber, feta, and red and yellow cherry tomatoes; herb vinaigrette

Grilled chicken breasts and drumstick with bbq sauce

Grilled zucchini and yellow summer squash

Corn on the cob with melted butter

Grilled hot Italian turkey sausages

-Whole wheat hot dog buns

-Grill-roasted poblano peppers

-Homemade quick-pickled banana peppers

I recycled the marinade for the squash into a salad dressing.  I had never thought of doing that before.  The squash had been washed before marinating, so it seemed safe enough.

Zora- where did you buy the tritip?

It is a favorite of ours but hard to find in DC metro area.

Thank you

Whole Foods Tenleytown--hadn't seen it there before, but I'm not a regular shopper at their meat counter. Tri-tip is also available at Organic Butcher of McLean, which is owned by a former Californian.

dinner tonight for members of J's family

minted g+ts

smoked eggplant baba ghanoush/hummos hybrid

pita chips

marinated olives

caprese salad

watermelon-feta-mint salad

Bonaparte multi-grain baguette with homemade cultured butter

2013 Mulderbosch rose

charcoal-grilled yogurt/herb marinated lamb chops

grilled spice-rubbed chicken tenders

Mirai corn on the cob

2011 Bastide Miraflors

cultured buttermilk-peach clafouti

creme chantilly

Zora- where did you buy the tritip?

It is a favorite of ours but hard to find in DC metro area.

Thank you

As I think I mentioned somewhere else, it seems that the one item that Trader Joe's always, always has is tri-tip roasts. It's almost like their signature product. You might not find it anywhere else around here, but you'll always find it at TJ's.

Salad of baby spinach, baby arugula, avocado, cucumber, feta, sliced hard-boiled eggs, and red and yellow cherry tomatoes; homemade buttermilk ranch or herb vinaigrette

Leftover grilled chicken breast with bbq sauce

Leftover buttered corn on the cob

Macaroni and cheese (habanero cheddar cheese with broccoli, grill roasted poblano peppers, and sauteed button and shiitake mushrooms)

The oven's still not fixed, so it was a stovetop mac and cheese that I ran under the broiler, which is functional enough for that purpose.

last night:

tacos dorados with grilled chicken thighs, leftover tri-tip or leftover grilled lamb, salsa verde, pico de gallo, jack cheese and lettuce

refried pinto beans made in the pressure cooker with onion cooked in duck and bacon fat, cumin, and aromatics

DB Vienna lager

The garden was overflowing with eggplant and holy basil, so eggplant kaprow over jasmine rice.  The eggplants are wonderful this year, and I've been managing to get them picked before they develop seeds.  I tried them before putting in the holy basil, and cooked simply in EV coconut oil with a little garlic, chili, and soy sauce, they are just wonderful.  Now we need some rain for the tomatoes.

Three points:

1.  This thread has been an inspiration.  Its gotten me to cook more often and more adventurously.  Thank you.

2.  I got an opportunity to share some cooking lessons from what I've learned here and elsewhere with a young person working on an herb inspired roast chicken with roasted potatoes.  About two weeks later I ran into her again and she said that the meal was a huge success with her guests and she loved it.    Kudo's to the folks that share here and elsewhere.

3.  I made my first egg plant parm in years  abt 2 weeks ago for a large group.  It was a huge success.  Kudo's to all those that share here.

• Like 1

Had some people over for dinner. Made some green curry with beef and eggplant à¹à¸à¸‡à¹€à¸‚ียวหวาน, Thai fried chicken ไà¸à¹ˆà¸—อด, green papaya salad ส้มตำ, northern Thai pork and tomato chilli dip with raw vegetables น้ำพริà¸à¸­à¹ˆà¸­à¸‡, sticky rice ข้าวเหนียว and jasmine rice ข้าวหอมมะลิ. Lagunitas Little Sumpin' Extra. Snapped a quick photo with my phone:

14627723509_34aa702b52_z.jpg

• Like 2