Pat

Good Stuff Eatery, Burgers, Fries, and Shakes in Capitol Hill and Crystal City

256 posts in this topic

This is closer to the Capitol than to the Market, but there is an upscale burger place going in at 3rd and PA Ave, SE (Good Stuff Eatery, 303 PA Ave, SE). Signs announcing the liquor license application/hearing are up in the windows.

There's a small blurb here. The same page mentions the upcoming opening of Cafe 8 Mediterranean Eatery on Barracks Row.

That seems like a strange location--it used to be a very dinky little bank and then was a card shop. (My entire office was devestated to realize that Pulp was a card shop and not a smoothie joint!) How much volume do you think they will be able to handle? I can't imagine it would be a sit down place.

Jennifer, a sixteen year veteran of crappy Hill lunches...

That seems like a strange location--it used to be a very dinky little bank and then was a card shop. (My entire office was devestated to realize that Pulp was a card shop and not a smoothie joint!) How much volume do you think they will be able to handle? I can't imagine it would be a sit down place.

Jennifer, a sixteen year veteran of crappy Hill lunches...

There is an upstairs area, so it's not as small as it might seem. It's not terribly big, though.

I believe the liquor license application I saw said that it would also have an outdoor patio.

(ETA: It's probably about the same size inside as the Cosi next door.)

Eater (via Metrocurian) posted today that "Good Stuff Eatery" (god-awful name) is the brain-child of a Top Chef, Season 4 alumnus. I haven't been following this season closely. Is this guy anything to get excited about?

Cheers,

Owen

I don't know if there is reason to be excited until someone tries the burgers, but Spike has done well so far on the season and I would assume that he is going to be there for a while. The article does bring up a great point, though, about the TC contestants now trying to cash in on their newfound fame only 3 episodes into the season as opposed to at least waiting for the show to run its course on TV. Strike while the iron is still warming up!

The thick and creamy toasted marshmallow shake mentioned on the web page sounds pretty darn good!

I was talking to someone yesterday who had a recent chat with Spike, and the estimated opening is now in about 2 weeks. They've got to finish the permitting process.

I was talking to someone yesterday who had a recent chat with Spike, and the estimated opening is now in about 2 weeks. They've got to finish the permitting process.

He told the Hill Newspaper he was aiming for a July 7 opening.

He told the Hill Newspaper he was aiming for a July 7 opening.

Is the article online? I can't seem to find it.

I don't know if this is the same article referred to above, but the Washington City Paper's City Desk blog entry reports July 7 as the opening date and links to this Politico article as the source. I laughed at the Brian Austin Green reference. :lol:

The PR machine is under way. There is a soft opening today with a sign in the window that says media only. Is this how a restaurant is typically launched ? Menu:

MENU.pdf

Someone in the family must have just graduated with a marketing degree because this menu is filled with kitsch, (i.e. handcrafted, "with a loving spoonful of good stuff sauce", handspun, home grown, "get ready for fresh", etc.).

The thick and creamy toasted marshmallow shake mentioned on the web page sounds pretty darn good!
No milkshakes on the posted menu....hmmmph!

Did you look at the second page? They offer 8 different adult sized shakes and one childrens size.

Check out the second page. Not "milkshakes" but milk-ice-gelato-custard-cream handspun shakes."

Check out the second page. Not "milkshakes" but milk-ice-gelato-custard-cream handspun shakes."
Oops...oh, a 2nd page.... Yeah, always helps to read the WHOLE menu. Thanks for pointing it out :lol:

Bonus points to anyone who can count the number of times "farm" and "fresh" appear on the menu! :lol:

Hopefully another good addition to the Hill scene.

More publicity -there's a short interview with Spike that shows some burger patties being flipped and the interior of Good Stuff Eatery in this NBC4 video about the economy and DC restaurants.

More publicity -there's a short interview with Spike that shows some burger patties being flipped and the interior of Good Stuff Eatery in this NBC4 video about the economy and DC restaurants.

Lets see channel 4 is owned by NBC, Bravo produces and shows Top Chef, Bravo and NBC are both owned by NBC Universal. Must have been a coincidence.

By the way, my favorite tidbit from the bit from the Sunday Source is

The plan is to do a burger better than anyone, applying classical training to America's signature dish

Wow, maybe someone should called Richard, or Ruta and let them know that they could apply their classical training to a burger.

Yelp's DC newsletter also had an interview with Spike.

Sign Seen on Door

"WE'VE NEVER ACCOMPLISHED ANYTHING BUT FRANCHISES NOW AVAILABLE!....FREE PRODUCT PACK: INCLUDES COMPILED JOHNNY ROCKETS/APPLEBEE'S/FARM SCHTICK PRIMER IN A SNAZZY THREE RING BINDER!.....FREE HAT TO EVERY FRANCHISEE! BE LIKE SPIKE THE FIFTH LOSER ON AN OVEREXPOSED SHOW. "I touched padma"-Chef Spike..."

*the wedge salad is a trademark of mediocrity everywhere. all rights reserved

PS-The chef from Rover's in Seattle wants his hat gimmick back

BE LIKE SPIKE THE FIFTH LOSER ON AN OVEREXPOSED SHOW. "I touched padma"-Chef Spike..."

The posters over at Eater don't seem to think highly of Spike.

The posters over at Eater don't seem to think highly of Spike.

I'm mainly amused as to how he perceives himself as an 'ambassador' who will bring 'young & hip' restaurants to DC....because we have NONE of those already!!!