BYOC - Bring Your Own Cake

Tomorrow's Ask Tom below the Acadiana review

It's hard for me to imagine that people would show up at a restaurant with a homemade birthday cake without checking with the restaurant in advance. It just seems rude to show up with your own food without clearing it with the restaurant first. I wonder where they have been dining for all of these past birthday meals that they've never encountered a problem before with that approach.

At Ray's we are happy to have some one bring in their own cake if: they call ahead; they offer us a piece; and it is tasty, delicious and wonderful at any temperature and does not come with a cutesy note that insults illiterates and non-English speaking immigrants and degrades us all.

If people bring their own cake without asking I am momentarily stunned at the rudeness involved, which does not happen often, and then do my best to continue about my business, desperately trying to pretend it is not happening.

Due to bad experiences in the past, we limit the number of cakes per table to three, unless they can blow "Columbia, Gem of the Ocean" through an ensphinctred duck call.

We do not charge for this provided they bring in an original, non-transferable, ID-verified copy of an e-mail with my e-mail address, snookykins_bigbear3@gmail.com, printed in blue ink. Upon verification of legitimacy, since legitimacy IS the hallmark of my organization--I just hate people who cheat, don't you?, I will place the e-mail under one of three coco-nut shells, move them about with a disorienting opera-based banter, and if the guest can guess the correct coco-nut shell there is no charge, depending on where they sit and which day of the week it is.

PS: Motorized transport of the cake is allowed under all circumstances, since I have no way of knowing whether the cake is frozen or not based solely on its box.

Edited by Michael Landrum

At Ray's we are happy to have some one bring in their own cake if:  they call ahead; they offer us a piece; and it is tasty, delicious and wonderful at any temperature and does not come with a cutesy note that insults illiterates and non-English speaking immigrants and degrades us all.

Chef, what do you do when patrons bring their own steaks (like the spectacular Angus from Safeway) and their George Foreman grills? Do you provide a stable heat-resistant surface for the grill? What do you charge for this?

...WHILE WEARING A BLOODY APRON.

So Granny baked a cake? I think that's very charming-but what if the party gets sick? Maybe because the cake wasn't stored properly in the lap of whatever six-year-old is sitting in the back seat of the Hummer? Did they also bring their own plates, etc ?

When making the rez, maybe mention yr bringing yr own cake, what is the policy? Simple courtesy.

We do not charge for this provided they bring in an original, non-transferable, ID-verified copy of an e-mail with my e-mail address, snookykins_bigbear3@gmail.com, printed in blue ink.  Upon verification of legitimacy, since legitimacy IS the hallmark of my organization--I just hate people who cheat, don't you?, I will place the e-mail under one of three coco-nut shells, move them about with a disorienting opera-based banter, and if the guest can guess the correct coco-nut shell there is no charge, depending on where they sit and which day of the week it is.

Oh, you mean you changed e-mail address again. No wonder all my mail bounced back from

SteakLove@aol.com. Damn you!

I am compiling the brunch list. Trying to provide as much information as possible, I am checking the websites of the restaurants proposed so far. On the Old Ebbit's website, the following caught my eye:

http://www.ebbitt.com/main/home.cfm?Sectio...bout_the_Ebbitt

Cakes

We offer a chocolate cake for $24.95 which will serve 10-12 people to be used for your special event. If you would like to bring your own cake, there is a $3.00 per person cutting fee.

I am totally not surprised that a restaurant like Old Ebbit's would have a policy. Am actually impressed that they put it on the website.

I am compiling the brunch list.  Trying to provide as much information as possible, I am checking the websites of the restaurants proposed so far.  On the Old Ebbit's website, the following caught my eye:

http://www.ebbitt.com/main/home.cfm?Sectio...bout_the_Ebbitt

Cakes

We offer a chocolate cake for $24.95 which will serve 10-12 people to be used for your special event. If you would like to bring your own cake, there is a $3.00 per person cutting fee.

I am totally not surprised that a restaurant like Old Ebbit's would have a policy.  Am actually impressed that they put it on the website.

Moral of the story, it is more economical to buy their cake than it is to bring your own.

After checking with the restaurant, I purchased a fancy cake at Palais du Chocolat in Cleveland Park to take to a family birthday celebration at Clyde's in Friendship Heights. This was maybe four years ago. They brought out plates and a knife and charged us ZIP for this. I wonder if this policy has changed.

We took a couple of cheesecakes to a dinner celebration for a friend's birthday party last night. We gave the servers what amounted to a full cheesecake since none of us wanted to eat another bite nor wished to have those empty calories sitting in our refrigerators. They waived the cutting fee. Everyone was happy!

We took a couple of cheesecakes to a dinner celebration for a friend's birthday party last night. We gave the servers what amounted to a full cheesecake since none of us wanted to eat another bite nor wished to have those empty calories sitting in our refrigerators. They waived the cutting fee. Everyone was happy!

You didn't dine at the Cheesecake Factory, did you...'cause that would still be a little tacky. :angry:

I saw on the menu last night that Coppi's allows their patrons to bring their own cake for a $4 cakeage charge.

Cheers,

Rocks.

I have nothing really to add to this thread other than I love this new word -- cakeage. I'd never dream of the concept, I just like the word and the way it sounds. Come on, say it with me (esp in your best homer simpson voice!) -- caaaake-aaaaage. :angry:

Had a group in this last weekend.... homemade cake, choclate with coconut cream frosting and candied orange zest decoration.... does this guy want some hours as a pastry assistant? Didn't leave a crumb! Damn!!

Last cakage before that was store bought from Giant that fell apart before it got to us but we served it up with a smile and a plate charge anyways.

And yet, they still didn't call ahead. The waiter was rude, but they didn't make things easy on the restaurant. "oh, but I'm a professional pastry chef, so it should be ok." So a cakeage fee is ok, but should be waived as a professional courtesy, at a restaurant where they don't know anyone on staff?

You want your friends to taste your latest creation? Invite them to your kitchen.

Or CALL AHEAD.

And yet, they still didn't call ahead. The waiter was rude, but they didn't make things easy on the restaurant. "oh, but I'm a professional pastry chef, so it should be ok." So a cakeage fee is ok, but should be waived as a professional courtesy, at a restaurant where they don't know anyone on staff?

You want your friends to taste your latest creation? Invite them to your kitchen.

Or CALL AHEAD.

She talked about how she tried to make a reservation and they don't take reservations, so I don't know how much calling ahead would have helped. From the way this is written, it seems that she didn't care for not being known, even after giving her card, but I can't imagine it's a smart move for the restaurant treat someone in the food business that way.

The thing that's wild is that this was only two pieces of cake, albeit 9 (I think) layers each. They were charged $6.25 each for forks. They didn't even get plates. No employee had to cut anything. When someone shows up out of the blue with a whole cake and requires a knife, plates, and forks, I can see the reason for a fee. It seems steep to charge $25 for two pieces of cake that are already cut.

ETA: I was basing 9 layers on the NY TImes photo, but the photo on her site seems to be a different cake. The NY Times photo may be a stock photo.

Making a reservation has nothing to do with asking about a policy.

And I'm not saying the restaurant reacted properly, or that the fee isn't outrageous. Just that the author could have done a lot more both in advance and at the time of the meal towards a peaceful resolution.