Han Sung Oak Dinner for DR.com Members

Escoffier

And now for something (somewhat) completely different...

A $20 Korean dinner night (a Tuesday night dinner on Monday night?). If my wonderful (and Korean) +1 and I can find a suitable venue for dinner, would you prefer to order from the menu, have gentle guidance and order from the menu, close your eyes and point to order from the menu, or have a somewhat "fixed" menu? (of course, we could always go to one of about 200 Korean buffets and everyone could take a chance). Your responses are solicited. :lol:

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A $20 Korean dinner night (a Tuesday night dinner on Monday night?).  If my wonderful (and Korean) +1 and I can find a suitable venue for dinner, would you prefer to order from the menu, have gentle guidance and order from the menu, close your eyes and point to order from the menu, or have a somewhat "fixed" menu?  (of course, we could always go to one of about 200 Korean buffets and everyone could take a chance).  Your responses are solicited.  :lol:

Since I know close to zero about Korean food I would love to have those that know do the ordering/organizing.

A $20 Korean dinner night (a Tuesday night dinner on Monday night?).  If my wonderful (and Korean) +1 and I can find a suitable venue for dinner, would you prefer to order from the menu, have gentle guidance and order from the menu, close your eyes and point to order from the menu, or have a somewhat "fixed" menu?  (of course, we could always go to one of about 200 Korean buffets and everyone could take a chance).  Your responses are solicited.  :lol:

Guidance from you and +1. Absolutely.

A $20 Korean dinner night (a Tuesday night dinner on Monday night?).  If my wonderful (and Korean) +1 and I can find a suitable venue for dinner, would you prefer to order from the menu, have gentle guidance and order from the menu, close your eyes and point to order from the menu, or have a somewhat "fixed" menu?  (of course, we could always go to one of about 200 Korean buffets and everyone could take a chance).  Your responses are solicited.   :lol:

Great idea! I prefer gentle guidance for ordering from the menu from someone who's familiar with the place and knows what's really delicious, and what shares easily. Those menus are really long and baffling for the ininitiated. Mondays usually work for me too. Edited by crackers

No buffet - I'd prefer if those in the know did the ordering, or arranged for a set menu ahead of time.

Weekdays are fine, weekends are better (lunch, maybe?), but if it's a weekday, please make it on the late side. I'd be coming from Baltimore if I come straight from work, or Potomac if I go home first...

No buffet - I'd prefer if those in the know did the ordering, or arranged for a set menu ahead of time.

Weekdays are fine, weekends are better (lunch, maybe?), but if it's a weekday, please make it on the late side. I'd be coming from Baltimore if I come straight from work, or Potomac if I go home first...

Okay, wow! that's some drive for dinner... :lol:

How about if we say a Monday night for starters? Would that be good with everyone? Then we can find a mutually agreeable time. My +1 and I will post some basic Korean food facts shortly so that everyone will have an idea of what's in store.

Okay, wow! that's some drive for dinner... :lol:

How about if we say a Monday night for starters?  Would that be good with everyone?  Then we can find a mutually agreeable time.  My +1 and I will post some basic Korean food facts shortly so that everyone will have an idea of what's in store.

Fine by me. I've been waiting for a guided tour of a Korean menu from a pro for quite some time. Count me in.

Fine by me.  I've been waiting for a guided tour of a Korean menu from a pro for quite some time.  Count me in.

Okay, now for the really big question. Annandale is not close to ANY metro station. Car-less people would have to be picked up at either King St or Braddock Road metro. How much of a problem does this present? If this is insurmountable, I'm not sure what can be done. There are alternatives but they are not as good, more expensive or more "American". I'd prefer to give you the plain unvarnished Korean food experience (the one that I have come to know and love) but if you can't get there, it wouldn't be possible. Again, all comments (good, bad but not indifferent) are welcomed.

I think we were all assuming Annandale. Hence my concern about driving during rush hour, and request for a later start...

Okay, that's a bit of a relief. What time would be most convenient for you? We'll work around your schedule as much as possible.

Don't be silly. Pick what time works best for everyone. The later the better for me, but I'll be there regardless.

Looking forward to it. Now just to pick a specific Monday night and count heads and figure out who needs rides and ... and ... and ... ad infinitum.

Could we do it on a Saturday or Sunday night?  Otherwise it will take some of us an hour to get there during rush hour.

I'm open to any night that people might want to go. I'm just the instigator here, talk it over amongst yourselves and let me know what night works best and we'll go from there. :lol: Sunday nights would be good because it's somewhat a quiet night...but whatever works best for all.

Here's where we are up to now. The following are (tenetatively) attending:

agm

notQuickDraw

Scott_Johnston

rvanrens +1 +.5

DanielK

hillvalley

mdt

shogun

StephenB

cucas87

crackers

principia

tweaked

CrescentFresh

goldenticket (?)

escoffier

grover (the instigator)

Gee, 3 more and we get the free egg-rolls... :lol: .

Now, for the next two big decisions, what night works best for the majority and which restaurant would you prefer? The choices are:

1. A restaurant that's close to I-495 and easily found and is somewhat small

2. A traditional Korean restaurant that's more hidden but handles large crowds of Korean tour buses every day

3. A "new-style" blonde-wood and fern bar type Korean restaurant with more Americanized Korean food.

4. A Korean only place where the menu is printed on a placemat, in Korean, the waitstaff might have one English speaking person, and most of us will be asked if we want forks.

I think you're better off in the long run if you just pick a day and place, and post about it. What place is your favorite?

Weeknight or weekend, enough will certainly show up to make it worthwhile.

It's a toss-up between 1 & 2. I think (with the help of Mapquest) that #2 is going to be the winner. A bit difficult to get to but well worth the effort.

#1 and #2 are good; assuming the night we pick doesn't interfere with his classes (W or Th, the day is still in flux), my +1 is interested as well.

#4 I don't mind so much, but it would be an awful lot of work for our "tour guides"!

Okay, I've made a (one) decision. We're going to have a Twenty-dollar Tuesday on Tuesday. I am going to talk to two restaurants today and will post the cost-per-person (including tax, tip, title, registration fee, wheels and tires optional) including tax and tip by Sunday evening.

Would you like a representative menu as well?

Here's where we are up to now. The following are (tenetatively) attending:

agm

notQuickDraw

Scott_Johnston

rvanrens +1 +.5

DanielK

hillvalley

Mr. Shorter but not Mrs. Shorter ( -1 ?)

mdt

shogun

StephenB

cucas87

crackers

principia

tweaked

UStreetGuy

CrescentFresh

goldenticket (?)

escoffier

grover (the instigator)

Tuesday night is going to be the night...next is the restaurant selection and then which specific Tuesday. Anyone have a preference for a specific Tuesday night?

Now, for the next two big decisions, what night works best for the majority and which restaurant would you prefer? The choices are:

2. A traditional Korean restaurant that's more hidden but handles large crowds of Korean tour buses every day

Here's where we are up to now.  The following are (tenetatively) attending:

agm

notQuickDraw

Scott_Johnston

rvanrens +1 +.5

DanielK

hillvalley

mdt

shogun

StephenB

cucas87

crackers

principia

tweaked

UStreetGuy

CrescentFresh

goldenticket (?)

escoffier

grover (the instigator)

Tuesday night is going to be the night...next is the restaurant selection and then which specific Tuesday.  Anyone have a preference for a specific Tuesday night?

Keep your calendar open for Tuesday Feb 21. We're aiming for dinner at 8:00 (2000 hours for people on 24 hour clocks). I'll announce the place after tomorrows restaurant negotiations. Look for about 3 to 4 courses and a wide variety of tastes and textures. It's making me hungry already.

She was. This was brilliant:

What's the quote about Washington combining Northern hospitality with Southern efficiency? Well, Korean food is kind of like that - the whiff of sadism found on certain Japanese tables with the heavy-handedness of provincial Chinese cooking.

Here's where we are so far. The following are (tenetatively) attending:

agm

notQuickDraw

MelGold

rvanrens +1 +.5

mbk

porcupine

DanielK

hillvalley

mdt

shogun

StephenB

cucas87

crackers

principia

tweaked

UStreetGuy

CrescentFresh

goldenticket (?)

escoffier

grover (the instigator)

Tuesday night February 21 is going to be the night. Dinner will start at 8:00 pm.

My +1 is negotiating with the two restaurants and will make reservations at the one which gives us the best food at the best price. We have settled on roughly 4 courses which may not seem like much but I guarantee no one will leave hungry.

Edited by Escoffier

I thought I had put my name in for this one, but apparently not.  I would like to attend, although 8 is a very late start time for me on a work night.  I'll say tentatively yes for now, if that's OK.

That's fine. We'll do a head count when we get closer and if you can't make it, we'll miss you.

Okay, I don't want to be wishy-washy here, but would a weekend be a more easily doable time for everyone? I have no problem with getting to Annandale at any time but there might be people who would prefer a nice long leisurely lunch or early evening dinner on a weekend. So, you tell me...Tuesday or Saturday or Sunday? We can always change arrangments because we have time.

Okay, I don't want to be wishy-washy here, but would a weekend be a more easily doable time for everyone?  I have no problem with getting to Annandale at any time but there might be people who would prefer a nice long leisurely lunch or early evening dinner on a weekend.  So, you tell me...Tuesday or Saturday or Sunday?  We can always change arrangments because we have time.

I don't think you are going to please everyone regardless of what day you select. Since you are working with the restaurant, select the date and those that can make it will come. Trust me you will drive yourself crazy otherwise.

I don't think you are going to please everyone regardless of what day you select.  Since you are working with the restaurant, select the date and those that can make it will come.  Trust me you will drive yourself crazy otherwise.

Escoffier, I have to second this excellent advice. Even though I just found out I'm working 1/21-1/23 and thus unable to join you. (damn fluid work schedule) Schedule it for when you can and let the chips fall where they may.