Dinner - The Polyphonic Food Blog

JPW

Trader Joe's pork gyoza with dipping sauce

Rice noodle soup with pork, dried and fresh shiitakes, bean sprouts, celery, cabbage, onion, scallions, and cilantro.

I was going to make a dipping sauce from a recipe in Cooking Light but flaked out at the last minute and just mixed some chili-garlic sauce into a saucer of ponzu. That worked quite well and was very quick. I was going to slice green cabbage to go in the soup but had leftover sweet and sour-ish red cabbage, and put some of that in instead. I added a little extra vinegar to the soup as well. The soup came out pretty well, except the pork could have been a little more tender.

I made something like that last week with some of their veal round roast, and I found the meat kind of tough and lacking flavor :P

The meat I had last night was mild in flavor and not tough at all. I wonder if certain cuts are tougher than others since these cows are on pasture with their mothers. Maybe the round would be better used in a stew. Will I get it again? Not sure.

Pan roasted Eco-friendly pork tenderloin rubbed with Chinese 5 Spice

Oven roasted honey mushrooms with pan jus

Polenta

Red Russian Kale

Brooklyn Brown Ale

For a minute there I thought this was a post from Zora. Am I the only one failed the creative food writing class?

This week has been all about soup, since a) I am trying to watch the ol' waistline, and :P my fiance and I have been trading a nasty cold back and forth.

I made my grandma's famous "Long Island" clam chowder, which turned out better than expected despite not being able to find Quahog clams in any local markets (next time, I'll prepare better and order them in advance). The Littleneck clams that I ended up using are okay, but they don't have as briny of a flavor as the bigger guys, so I had to compensate with more salt. Next time, I'm also going to order some datil peppers from St. Augustine and turn it into a more Minorcan chowder.

I made a lentil soup (one of Martha Stewart's recipes) that also turned out well--really rich and flavorful.

My one soup failure (okay, not failure, but not a rousing success) was a creamy parsnip soup, also from Martha Stewart. It was just...meh. Despite a POUND of leeks and copious additions of salt, it was very bland and one-note. Maybe I'll try it again with some herbs? Garlic? The texture was good, though, thanks to my new blender.

Last night- TJ's sprouted wheat parpadelle with marinara sauce, sauteed spinach, and grilled chicken, spinach, fontina sausages. Tonight- leftover Maruca's pizza. Yes, it's been in the freezer for a couple of months, but this NJ classic is still great! Or if the mood changes, roasted root veggies w/ plenty of black pepper and a drizzle of maple syrup, sauteed chicken breasts w/ a maple & rosemary glaze, and a tossed salad of baby spinach, dried cranberries and TJ's Goddess dressing.

Wednesday:

Some thoroughly disappointing katsuo (bonito) tataki from the posh department store's grocery. :P

Hourenso no karashi-joya -- spinach dressed with a mustard/sake/soy sauce mixture

Agemochi no dashikake -- deep-fried mochi, served in a dashi/soy sauce/salt soup and topped with grated daikon and togarashi shichimi (Japanese seven-spice)

Tataki gobou -- boiled burdock root, beaten within an inch of its life (ahhhh -- so relaxing), then dressed with sesame paste, vinegar, soy sauce, and brown sugar

Miso soup with wakame seaweed and tofu

Steamed rice

Tonight:

Miso-grilled beef

Salad of shredded daikon, carrot, leek, and kaiware (daikon sprouts) with salt/leek dressing

Kinpira gobou -- simmered burdock root

Steamed genmai (brown rice)

Progressive dinner while packing:

Gold Rush apple

Raisin-walnut whole wheat (Atwater, mini-loaf, fantastic!) toasted: one slice w peanut butter

Glass of 1% milk

Mug of butternut squash soup

Second slice toast, w rich butter

Later planning to add escarole salad w radishes and olives and [ewe's milk] feta dressing, inspired by browsing and finding this when I should have been rolling clothes into logs.

Soup reminded me how good ordinary, simple things I hadn't made for a while can be. Made to use up heavy cream left over from preparing sabayon and a small squash that had been around for some time.

Made a vegetable stock w gunk scooped out of the squash's cavity plus parsley stems, fresh bay leaf and the usual stuff. 20 minutes.

Mirepoix made w shallots cooked in butter. Salt. Then softened the half of the onion not put in stock. Peeled, sliced squash then added to stew in shallow puddle of apple cider, lid on. Drained and added stock. Nothing else. No ginger, pimenton, sage, lemongrass or lime. Just salt, butter and vegetables.

Blender. Strained. Then lots of cream. Smooth, pale orange in bright red, glazed mug.

BTW the same toast is amazing w mildly blue chevre and fig preserved in lavender honey with bay leaves. Finally decided to open the jar. Dan is right about one of his idols :P

post-138-1233367545_thumb.jpg

post-138-1233367529_thumb.jpg

Talapia in parchment-carmelized onion, garlic, Spanish olives, chopped tomatoes, oregano, white wine, lemon, lemon zest/juice, s&p. I thought the combo would have a nice 'wow", but meh...it needed something to oomph it up. Maybe some chili flakes? Pleasant, but not memorable.

Far better was a potato recipe I found today. "YaYa's Potatoes". I followed the recipe and these are terrific! The leftovers will be great with eggs for breakfast.

I bought "local" for dinner :P

Roquefort from Cheesetique for Teddy Folkman's mussels (he uses blue cheese, but I was "protesting")

Ciabatta from Eve (sold at Grape+Bean)

The mussels were quick and easy to make-will do it again soon when I figure out where I can get PEI mussels. We bought mussels from Maine at Whole Foods, and they were good, but a tad sandy.

post-138-1233502394_thumb.jpg

post-138-1233502688_thumb.jpg

last night:

charcoal-grilled, spice-rubbed strip steak

sauteed crimini mushrooms with Meyer lemon and rosemary

haricots verts with garlic

baked russet potatoes with sour cream and chives

pastel vasco with black&blueberry compote and poured cream (my take on a Suzanne Goin recipe from *Sunday Suppers at Luques*)

2006 Luigi Bosca Malbec Single Vineyard (killer!)

The spinach dip I made on Friday tasted great, but it seemed more like a pesto to me than a dip. Last night I recycled some of it, along with some chicken left from one I roasted earlier in the week, into a linguine chicken pesto. It worked quite well. I added a little extra Parmigiano, some freshly ground black pepper, and served. We also had a Marvelous Market striata baguette with extra virgin olive oil for dipping.

The spinach dip I made on Friday tasted great, but it seemed more like a pesto to me than a dip.

I always include some spinach when I make pesto. The basil-garlic flavor is so pronounced that you don't taste the spinach at all. But it prevents the pesto from oxidizing and turning an unappetizing brown color. I think it's the oxalic acid in the spinach that does it. It works like magic.

dinner tonight:

Eco-Friendly was selling packages of chicken wings "buy one get one free" today, in honor of the stupor bowl. At home, I quick defrosted them in cold running water, brined them for a few hours and then smoke-grilled them with charcoal and cherry wood in my new bbq. I also made a Texas-style bbq sauce with tomato, cumin, pasilla chile, bourbon, molasses and a few other things.

creamy coleslaw

bbq beans

grilled bread

pan roasted bosc pears in caramel-vanilla sauce with puff pastry and vanilla ice cream

Wild Goose Winter Ale

I always include some spinach when I make pesto. The basil-garlic flavor is so pronounced that you don't taste the spinach at all. But it prevents the pesto from oxidizing and turning an unappetizing brown color. I think it's the oxalic acid in the spinach that does it. It works like magic.
Even a few days later, the spinach dip/pesto is still bright green.

Tonight was

cole slaw (from the Post Wednesday article on Super Bowl foods)

chili (beef and veal from the freezer; various dried and a few fresh chilies; Rancho Gordo pinquito beans)

chiles rellenos

roasted asparagus with oven roasted tomatoes

roasted broccoli

rosette de lyon

roquefort

tomme crayeuse

goat d'affinois

golden fig preserves

buckwheat honey

niçoise, gaeta, kalamata olives

medjool dates

half-decent baguette

Dolin sweet vermouth on the rocks with an orange twist

chocolates from Artisan Confections

Help me w dinner tonight, please.

I have some meatballs already made (half w prosciutto and cheese; half w currants and pinenuts).

I also have nearly half a pound of a beautiful mix of young, tiny leaves of various greens assembled by Tree & Leaf: Red Russian kale, savoy cabbage, chard, etc.

Since the latter is a week old, I want to serve it, cooked, w the former. Only thing that comes to mind is a quick sauté w garlic, shallots or onion. Braise the meatballs in canned broth (no stock left) and mix it w some sort of grain. Rice.

Any better ideas? Additional flavors?

I bought "local" for dinner :P

Roquefort from Cheesetique for Teddy Folkman's mussels (he uses blue cheese, but I was "protesting")

Ciabatta from Eve (sold at Grape+Bean)

The mussels were quick and easy to make-will do it again soon when I figure out where I can get PEI mussels. We bought mussels from Maine at Whole Foods, and they were good, but a tad sandy.

post-138-1233502394_thumb.jpg

post-138-1233502688_thumb.jpg

Stop. Just stop. If you're NOT going to teach a food photography course, then just stop taunting the rest of us. :D

As it turns out, it's physically impossible to take an appetizing picture of a pre-folded taco.

3246968235_f2172f1349.jpg

As is risotto al barolo. The wine just makes it look more like barf.

3246968067_aa981efa8d.jpg

And of course, centuries of misrepresentation by the media make lima beans automatically look unappetizing...

3247797278_2c7a2ac73a.jpg

However, the intramuscular fat in this larval chili (chuck) is beautiful no matter who's taking the picture.

3247797992_ab9d69912d.jpg

But really. Stop showing off :o

Thank you for the tip!

I also have nearly half a pound of a beautiful mix of young, tiny leaves of various greens assembled by Tree & Leaf: Red Russian kale, savoy cabbage, chard, etc.

Since the latter is a week old, I want to serve it, cooked, w the former. Only thing that comes to mind is a quick sauté w garlic, shallots or onion. Braise the meatballs in canned broth (no stock left) and mix it w some sort of grain. Rice.

What about some sort of hot dressing that would wilt the greens? I like this with dandelions and usually use a sherry vinaigrette. Or chop up the greens and put everything in a soup.

You are so right, Dan. those are the WEIRDEST damn lima beans I've ever seen. Now, if they had been brussels sprouts, they'd be mouth-watering.
lol. HOLY SHIT. Clearly the media have linked lima beans and brussel sprouts in my head. Like castor oil and cod liver oil.

Brussel sprouts are actually really tasty if prepped right. I converted my wife with this dish.

Help me w dinner tonight, please.

I have some meatballs already made (half w prosciutto and cheese; half w currants and pinenuts).

I agree with the suggestion to add a little vinegar to that sauté. I think that works really well with greens. As an alternative to rice, you could use some kind of pasta. Mix the greens in with the pasta and make green spaghetti and meatballs. (Maybe for the last idea, I wouldn't use the vinegar, or at least not much.)

Thanks, you all! I ended up making my favorite noodle-rice pilaf and using it as a bed for a one-bowl meal.

Braised greens w shallot, garlic slivers and lemon peel in olive oil and water clinging to leaves until they wilted. Then tossed in the current-pine nut meatballs (polpettini--small) and some chicken broth. Squirt of lemon juice at end (vs. vinegar, but same principle that prompted sound advice and its echo).

More than good enough to repeat. I love this winter green mix and will definitely pick it up again should Tree & Leaf bring it the market this weekend. Baby Red Russian kale, especially, is wonderful since the stems soften quickly. Somewhat Wolfertian, but not all that far from Lidia's table, perhaps.

Dinner tonight:

An improvisation on a Spanish theme, using what I had in the fridge and pantry:

In a wide, shallow enameled cast iron pan which brings to mind a vessel for paella, I sauteed a sofrito of sorts in olive oil, with onion, leek, garlic, a roasted, peeled poblano that had been languishing in a ziplock bag in the bottom of the veg drawer, but was still edible. Chunks of sweet carrots, celery and parsnip. Half a cup of Spanish short grain rice. Half a can of tomato paste, opened yesterday. Cumin, smoked paprika, aleppo pepper, sea salt. Some chicken stock from the freezer, and a splash of white wine. A vacuum package of pre-cooked brown lentils from Trader Joe's. Aromatics: fresh parsley, thyme, bay leaves, celery leaf stalk. Brought to a boil, heat lowered and covered. In a frying pan, I browned slices of Spanish link chorizo (not the dried, cured kind--these had the look and consistency of hot dogs) purchased at A&H Seafood last week. Those were added to the pot, along with a couple of chicken wing drumettes left over from yesterday. The grease was poured out of the frying pan, which was deglazed with some dry marsala and wine vinegar. That was added to the pot. It perked away for fifteen minutes or so, while I set the table, opened a bottle of wine and toasted some pieces of leftover baguette, rubbed them with garlic and drizzled on some good Spanish olive oil. I chopped some parsley and cilantro, and sprinkled it on top of the stew when it was ready to serve. The wine was a mencia from Bierzo, 2006 El Castro di Valtuille. Both stew and wine were rustic and very savory. A satisfying meal on a cold night. For dessert, we shared a large ripe comice pear that I peeled and sliced and we ate while watching Antiques Roadshow.

Dengaku tofu -- broiled miso-topped tofu

The last of the daikon/daikon sprout/carrot/leek salad with salt/leek dressing

Miso soup with dark Sendai miso, burdock root, and julienned aburaage (deep-fried tofu sheet) :P This might be the best miso soup I've ever made.

Steamed rice

Recently made my "meaty minestrone" soup with spicy sausage, elbow macs, kidney beans, zucchini, spinach, Parm, tomatoes, tomato paste and a little dose of Rao's marinara.

Last night-seared flank steak with a sauce made from deglazing with red wine, and adding Roquefort. Brussel sprouts (and diced onion) that were halved and carmelized in a pan with evoo. I added a bit of water to the pan to steam them and cook them through a bit. Once evaporated, I added bacon, butter and pomegranite balsamic vinegar. Wow, was that good!

broiled salmon with a horseradish crust

baked potatoe

steam veggies

also cooked a pork butt in the crock pot for ten hours with a balsamic dressing, pepper, and two tablespoons of honey. this is going to be dinner for my little girls and lunch for me throughout the week.

Last night was a quick forage in the fridge that resulted in roasted fingerling potatoes in chipotle meyer lemon sauce, and a citrus jicama salad to cool the burn. Tonight I had a little more time, so the soup is simmering. Sixteen bean with kale.

Sixteen bean with kale.
As in 16 KINDS of beans?

Not sure I could name sixteen unless split green and yellow pea beans count as two, then Le Puy, beluga, brown and red lentils, as four more...

Pinto, borlotti (aka cranberry, romano & shell), chickpea, black, navy, cannellini, fava, red kidney, lima, those gigantic Spanish ones, black-eyed peas, little pink ones Goya calls rose, perhaps. What else?

Leftovers, three.