Dinner - The Polyphonic Food Blog

JPW

As in 16 KINDS of beans?

Not sure I could name sixteen unless split green and yellow pea beans count as two, then Le Puy, beluga, brown and red lentils, as four more...

Pinto, borlotti (aka cranberry, romano & shell), chickpea, black, navy, cannellini, fava, red kidney, lima, those gigantic Spanish ones, black-eyed peas, little pink ones Goya calls rose, perhaps. What else?

You had to ask and make me wonder… :P They seem to have been a bit liberal with the use of the term, “bean”, but here goes.

1. small scarlet runner beans 2. large limas 3. green peas 4. small limas 5. little brown beans that look like tepary beans 6. black eyed peas 7. garbanzos 8. black beans 9. pinto beans 10. small red beans 11. green lentils 12. greenish beans that I think are butter beans so I’ll call them southern flageolets 13. small white beans 14. a very tiny brown bean that I think is mung 15. red kidney beans 16. medium sized white beans

There may also be another type of lentil – some look brown and some look green. There are also two sizes of the brown and black beans. The tiny black and white ones look like what I see in the grocery labeled as Salvadoran beans as compared to black turtle beans and navy beans. So I may have gotten a steal. 19 beans for the price of 16.

Green salad--iceberg, tomato, cucumber with vinaigrette

Pastry bundle filled with chorozo and wild rice, tomato, and truffle cheese

I'm working on clearing out leftovers in anticipation of making a couple of big meals soon. The pastry bundle was a Pillsbury pie crust well past its best by date wrapped around filling leftover from making chiles rellenos; a couple of campari tomatoes from Costco; and cheese that was starting to get moldy. I salvaged enough cheese for the tart, but I usually cut much more cheese away along with the mold than I did.

I've been holding off on shopping and trying to use up what I've got on hand, as it seems some other here are doing. I cleaned my fridge and thinned out my freezer recently. I realized how much I buy before using up what I have. Same goes for my cupboards. I had so many expired items, or opened items that I just decided it best to toss to be on the safe side. It was sad to see how much I waste.

Last night I made tuna casserole. Again. But--I used up 3 different cheeses and really improvised on the whole thing. Probably the best effort so far and I felt that I made a meal that's going to stretch over a few days.

For dessert-pulled out a frozen Entenmann's pound cake (buy1 get 1 free deal a while ago), toasted up a couple slices and topped with a dab of butter and Quaker Valley Sour Cherry preserves.

Today, I've got pork in the crock pot, and am aiming to make a bbq pulled pork, or some such.

Pasta with arugula, tomatoes, caramelized onions, and lentils. There was some parmesan cheese in there, too. It was tasty, but it was missing a little oomph. Perhaps, in the winter, it would be better to use fire-roasted canned tomatoes instead of fresh.
Just swapping canned tomatoes for fresh won't make that much of a difference. You've got a lot of mild, sweet flavors in your dish and you need some contrast. For more oomph, I'd suggest 1) garlic; 2) red pepper flakes; 3) a little bit of acid in the form of white wine, wine vinegar, or lemon juice; 4) capers; 5) chopped fresh herbs, like basil, Italian parsley and/or rosemary.

Just swapping canned tomatoes for fresh won't make that much of a difference. You've got a lot of mild, sweet flavors in your dish and you need some contrast. For more oomph, I'd suggest 1) garlic; 2) red pepper flakes; 3) a little bit of acid in the form of white wine, wine vinegar, or lemon juice; 4) capers; 5) chopped fresh herbs, like basil, Italian parsley and/or rosemary.

Good ideas--I really thought the bitter arugula and the salty cheese would balance out the sweet, but more acid (the tomatoes weren't enough) would probably do the trick. I was actually surprised that the recipe didn't call for garlic, and I almost added some, but I wanted to see what the unadultered version would taste like. I'll know for next time!

I second the red pepper flakes. Also, a couple anchovies/anchovy paste will give it that certain somethin' somethin'.

Farm @ Sunnyside's organic beans (Coco R_______; looks like pinto) over left-over rice pilaf w mixed greens on side.

Lime, scallion, avocado, sour cream, Frontera bottled salsa and green Tabasco sauce as condiments.

Half a blood orange. Thinking about this Lake Champlain Hazelnut Praline bar in a drawer across the room...

Last night: dinner for out-of-town pescatarian friends

marinated smoked mussels (from BlackSalt)

roasted cippolini onions with balsamico

tomato/mozz di bufala/basil on toothpicks

marcona almonds

chile olives

2007 Gobelsburger Gruner Veltliner

butter lettuce salad with roasted baby beets and homemade chevre

Pain Quotidien baguette

cedar-planked salmon, organically farmed in Scotland

charcoal roasted asparagus

2005 Dom. Maniere Bourgogne

goatmilk brie

p'tit pyranees

blue suede moo

2006 Razor's Edge shiraz/grenache

caramel-date upside-down cake

Is that the one from the new Bon Appetit? I thought it looked good.

Last night

mini ciabatta with olive oil

paella

The paella was Joe H's recipe. Despite planning ahead to make this, I didn't think about searching for the Bomba rice until it was too late to mail order it. I didn't follow the recipe exactly and took a few shortcuts (e.g., I bought scallopini from Costco instead of pounding the veal myself). I also don't have a proper paella pan and ended up splitting the batch between two pans. The mushrooms were omitted because I ran short of time (didn't do a proper mis en place, alas). Also because of time and the fact the peppers I used were gigantic, I used one each red and green instead of two each. I was a little short of the 1 lb. needed for the shrimp and also added 1/2 pound of squid rings, which I thought were really good in this. And while my husband doesn't love shrimp so much, he enjoyed the squid.

Given all of these caveats, I thought it turned out really well. The proper rice would probably have made it amazing, but it was delicious as it was. It seemed as though there was too much meat, but I think that was a factor of the pan size(s). I've saved this recipe for quite a while and I'm glad I finally made it. Next time, I'll plan better.

Zora, your dinner sounds wonderful and your friends must have felt very special :P

Last night we continued eating pulled pork (NC bbq sauce with onions as mentioned above), with pulled pork sandwiches topped with broccoli slaw.

3277531818_00a9bc4833_m.jpg

Bakes beans.

Steak fries done in the oven.

Finished with a cupcake (I made a big batch for Mr. MV's office)-Devils food cupcake with cream cheese icing flavored with lavender honey (red dye for V's Day and a heart shaped Reese's on top).

3276711219_7db0ba099f_m.jpg

Is that the one from the new Bon Appetit?

Yes. I have an upside-down cake recipe that I have been using for years that has yogurt in it, and while good, the cake is kind of heavy. I wanted to try the Bon Appetit recipe, which contained buttermilk and professed to being light. I liked the cake part (though I modified it by adding cardamom, nutmeg, and a few drops of orange oil), but the large strips of Medjool dates became hard and chewy and made the cake hard to cut. I loved the flavor, which was basically a reconstructed sticky toffee pudding. But if I were to use dates again, I would chop them more finely. I do plan to try it with different fruit--fresh fruit. Or perhaps almonds or macadamias. I forgot to mention that I served it with HD dulce de leche ice cream.

Last night: just the two of us meatetarians

braised Eco-Friendly veal cheeks, which had been marinating in a cooked tempranillo wine marinade for 4 days. In the oven at 200 degrees for 4 1/2 hours. I left the aromatic vegetables and herbs in with the meat while marinating, and also in the braise pot with a new round of thyme, parsley and bay leaf. Also added to the braise pot: tomatoes, tomato paste, beef base, brandy, soy sauce, cherry balsamic. When strained and reduced, the sauce was astonishingly rich and delicious.

mashed Yukon gold potatoes

steamed broccoli

leftover u-d cake and ddl ice cream

2004 Englora Monsant

Yes. I have an upside-down cake recipe that I have been using for years that has yogurt in it, and while good, the cake is kind of heavy. I wanted to try the Bon Appetit recipe, which contained buttermilk and professed to being light. I liked the cake part (though I modified it by adding cardamom, nutmeg, and a few drops of orange oil), but the large strips of Medjool dates became hard and chewy and made the cake hard to cut. I loved the flavor, which was basically a reconstructed sticky toffee pudding. But if I were to use dates again, I would chop them more finely. I do plan to try it with different fruit--fresh fruit. Or perhaps almonds or macadamias. I forgot to mention that I served it with HD dulce de leche ice cream.
I'll keep your experience in mind if I make this. I made date muffins last month and still have lots of dates left to use.

A dinner from around the globe:

Icardi Piemonte Cortese L'aurora (2007)

Guarani beans | green beans, shitakes, red peppers

Cajun catfish | marinated catfish oven fried w/ seasoned breadcrumbs

Italian flatbread | with cheddar cheese and jalapeno

Algerian tangerine

Highland Park 18

Valentine's menu, French-themed:

Belgian Endive Spears with Dill Goat Cheese

Brioche Loaves

Coquilles Saint-Jacques à la Provençale

Cognac-Pepper Steaks with Watercress

Potatoes from the Mas Haut

Asparagus Flan

Iced Soufflé Grand Marnier with Ladyfingers

2005 Bears' Lair Viognier

I compiled the menu from various cookbooks, with the exception of the first recipe, which I found online. The brioche recipe was from Ina Garten, Barefoot in Paris, and I was pleased with the results. It makes two loaves, however, and the freezers are full :P. We polished off a full 1/3 loaf last night, along with lots of other food, so maybe that won't be a problem.

The scallop recipe came from Julia's The French Chef, which I find to be a very reliable cookbook and much easier for me to follow than Mastering. I served the endive, scallops, and bread together as a first course. To save on dishwashing (oh, did this meal make for a lot of dishwashing...), I plated the endive with the scallops. They worked beautifully together.

SF Chronicle Cookbook Vol II was the source for the steak recipe. I had trouble getting the cognac sauce thick enough and gave up and served my husband his steak with a thinner sauce than I wanted. By the time I plated my steak, though, the sauce was perfect :D. That was plated with the potatoes and asparagus flan, both from Patricia Wells' Provence Cookbook. I had picked up a copy of the book at the Strand in NYC a couple of years ago and still not made anything from it before last night. Both recipes were winners, though I had trouble calculating the amount of asparagus from the descriptions given. I thought it odd for the potatoes even to need a recipe, as it was just 1 1lb. yukon golds, 1 tsp. fine sea salt, and 1 Tbsp. evoo. It was all in the technique, I guess, because these potatoes came out fantastic. I normally have to parboil potatoes before roasting or they don't come out right, but these were scrubbed, halved, tossed in a bowl with salt and oil, then put on a cookie sheet, cut side down for 40 minutes at 425, and they came out perfectly. This is a new simple side dish for the rotation.

The only failure I had in preparing the meal was the ladyfingers for the souffle (Jacques Pepin, A French Chef Cooks at Home). I did something wrong, and they didn't rise enough and came out kind of misshapen. It didn't matter much as they formed a layer inside the souffle, where their primary purpose was to soak up grand marnier :o. Wow, this was good. It effectively made ice cream. I was able to find pints of non UHP heavy cream (Natural by Nature) at Whole Foods, so the cream for this whipped up beautifully. No more desserts for a while...after we finish up what's left of the souffle in the freezer. If we eat it quickly enough, there will be room for the extra loaf of brioche!

The brioche recipe was from Ina Garten, Barefoot in Paris, and I was pleased with the results. It makes two loaves, however, and the freezers are full :P. We polished off a full 1/3 loaf last night, along with lots of other food, so maybe that won't be a problem.

<snip> If we eat it quickly enough, there will be room for the extra loaf of brioche!

Brioche makes the best pain perdu (French toast) and bread pudding, either sweet or savory. Another way to preserve brioche, other than in the freezer, is to slice or cube it and dry it in a low oven. It keeps for ages without getting moldy or stale, well-sealed in a zip-lock bag. It can then be used for bread pudding, croutons and bread crumbs.

Brioche makes the best pain perdu (French toast) and bread pudding, either sweet or savory. Another way to preserve brioche, other than in the freezer, is to slice or cube it and dry it in a low oven. It keeps for ages without getting moldy or stale, well-sealed in a zip-lock bag. It can then be used for bread pudding, croutons and bread crumbs.
Thanks for the tip. I've used brioche for French toast before but not for bread pudding. I thought about French toast this morning but didn't have the energy. I spread some slices with raspberry jam instead. It soaked the jam right up.

Last night we finished the steak and potatoes from the previous night, and the meal was rounded out with a fabulous cream of asparagus soup with (leftover) scallops.

When I was buying asparagus for the flan I was making for Saturday, I couldn't figure out how much whole asparagus I needed just to use the tips called for in the recipe. Harris Teeter had asparagus pretty cheap, so I bought three bundles of pencil thin asparagus (about 3 lbs.). I used the tips from two bundles on Saturday, and I wanted to use the rest of the asparagus quickly. I had bought it much earlier in the week than I would have otherwise, since it was such a good price. I cooked the tips separately from the stems and pureed the stems, sauteed shallots, and about 2 cups warm whole milk in a blender. I reheated gently in a saucepan, slowly stirring in another cup of warm milk. (I had cooked the tips in a small amount of homemade chicken broth, intending the broth to go into the soup, but, working on autopilot, I drained the stems in a colander, thereby losing the broth :P). I ladled soup into two big bowls about 2/3 full, added leftover scallops provencal, then added more hot soup, and put the asparagus tips and chopped parsley on top. This made a fabulous soup.

butter lettuce and mache salad with avocado

charcoal grilled baguette toasts with olive oil and Maldon salt

charcoal-grilled spice rubbed rack of lamb

mushroom barley pilaf

haricots verts with meyer lemon

blackberries poached in violet liqueur and B&J's vanilla ice cream

2005 Ch. St. Martin de la Garrigue

Organic, Virginia-grown Coco Rubico beans simmered in jarred Frontera chipotle salsa and thawed, slivered oven-roasted yellow, organic plum tomatoes from Maryland with a bit of Italian olive oil.

Sprinkled w Mexican Four-cheese mix from Trader Joe's.

Two griddle-warmed corn tortillas........." " "

Sour cream

Guacamole

Scallion confetti

Dessert: blood orange segments and Mounds bar on sale at CVS.

Last night was a Waldorf salad and a bit of other fruit, engineered with the goal of washing out an overly greasy and salty lunch experience.

Tonight: baby portobello mushrooms and shallots in a red wine/balsamic/honey reduction, served over pan-crisped polenta. I only had white corn meal, so I added in a tablespoon of dark Indian paprika for color. It ended up looking pretty nice.

Mixed green salad

Spiced pears

Barboursville Brut

All this talk about Sweet & sour/Kingdom pork chops made me made my own tonight :P Accompanying that were:

Stewed chicken drumsticks with taro

Lightly breaded fish with japanese cucumbers

Ground chicken with peas in a light lemon sauce

With rice of course.

Gebaby approved of the taro and fish, but not the drumsticks. Go figure.

Last night:

brioche toasts with chicken liver pate and watercress spread

grape leaves stuffed with paella

belgian endive stuffed with goat cheese and dill; orange sections

The pate is a signature recipe of the late mother of a friend. This is the best I've gotten it to turn out in several attempts. The watercress was "watercress tartine" from The Silver Spoon cookbook. It's basically an egg salad with watercress. I had lots of eggs and lots of watercress, so that worked out well. The brioche made wonderful toasts for the spreads. I've used one loaf and will have to pull the other loaf out of the spot I found for it in the freezer :D.

My husband was getting sick of the paella and didn't know that was the filling for the grape leaves until after dinner, when I volunteered the information. Creative use of leftovers :P.

Man, taro gets a bad rap.
Really? I didn't know that. The baby taro root (different starch, but I don't know what it is called in English) is great too. Terra makes great taro chips to munch on if you get a chance to buy them. Gebaby also like the taro mantao both with the stuffing in them and the one made with them. Taro, taro, taro.

Last night:

Salt grilled sea bream

Nanohana no karashi-joyu: rape blossoms parboiled and chilled, then served with a mustard/sake/soy sauce dressing

A take-off on Eric Gower's boozy Japanese potatoes: potatoes parboiled, then seared in a pan, doused with sake and soy sauce, cooked until they bubble away, then crisped again with some butter.

Tonight:

Miso-grilled thinly sliced beef

Komatsuna no oroshi ae: Japanese mustard spinach, parboiled and seasoned with soy sauce, served with grated, squeezed-out daikon and lemon

Kinpira udo: udo stir-fried with a sliced dried chile pepper, then simmered with sake, soy sauce, sugar, and mirin

Steamed rice (2/3 Akita Komachi, 1/3 red) -- Akita Komachi rice is famous in Japan for its subtle, pure flavor. It's a stickier rice than our local variety, more like mochi rice. The red rice was a gift from one of Azami's students; it was grown in a field at our city museum.

Last night's night's meal was, repurposed from Montmartre leftovers:

gnocchi and vegetables in saffron chicken broth

fish tacos

and, using vegetables from the back of the fridge and surplus cream cheese:

green bean casserole

A meal with visiting friends

Woodford and CAF manhattans

smoked mussels from BlackSalt

marinated cippolini onions

olives

Marcona almonds

homemade chevre with lavender-fennel pollen on crackers

homemade duck confit salad, roasted asparagus and poached mission fig on frisee and mache, meyer lemon vinaigrette

2005 Bouvier Bourgogne Le Chepitre

braised Eco-Friendly lamb shanks that had spent four days in a cooked wine marinade

stewed white beans

2004 Dom. Leon Barral Faugeres

meyer lemon and lavender tart, creme chantilly

Amaro Nonino

more flip food

adobo short ribs - freakin' fantastic!!

washed down with "Cumin Get It" cocktails (Gin, lime juice, cumin infused simple syrup and coconut milk) - made primarily not to waste leftover coconut milk but surprisingly surprisingly good

banana choc chip bread pudding w/ rum sauce

Monday night:

Salad (romaine, mache, nicoise olives, tomatoes, cucumbers, and homemade garlic croutons)

Fish croquette gratin*

Baked chicken thighs

Last night:

Leftover salad

Sausage-stuffed pasta purses with olive oil and parsley

Carrot tart

*I put the cod and potato-cream mixture from the brandade into a gratin dish and topped with bread crumbs, grated Parmigiano, and dots of butter. I heated for a while in the oven while the chicken baked and then ran under the broiler for a minute. When scooped out of the dish onto a plate, it forms a kind of croquette, with the creamy potatoes on the bottom and the crumb topping on the top and sides.

After being very proud of this creation, I found something very similar in Mastering the Art of French Cooking :P

I get dinner on my own for a few nights, so I'm falling back on the classic triptych of a mixed green salad, a piece of Valentine's day chocolate, and a glass of cheap red wine. The wine is Sacred Stone Master's Blend red, and it's actually surprisingly good for $10.

Chicken and andouille gumbo

Buttermilk biscuits

Homemade Creole cream cheese

White Wood Farms Jazz Hot Pepper jelly

This was all good, but next time I'll make my own Creole seasoning and use pork andouille. My husband claims he can't tell the difference, but the rubbery orange discs in my gumbo last night belied his words. The cream cheese turned out well, though, and now that I'm over the first "cheese at home" hurdle, I'll probably try to fix some other varieties.

Green chilaquiles with chicken. Thrown together from jarred salsa, bagged chips, an onion, a whole foods cooked chicken breast and some jack cheese. Would normally have made my own tomatillo salsa and cooked my own chicken, but was too tired last night. No recipe, just winged it. And they were good!!! Sauteed the onion slices, brought them, the salsa, and some chicken stock to a boil. Layered cheese, chips, salsa, shredded chicken a few times in a lasagne pan. Baked 20 minutes.

A nice response to a weird craving that came upon me at 5:30 just as I was leaving work! Leftovers for lunch today. Yum.

pan-seared Eco-Friendly veal liver with bacon, crimini mushrooms, shallots and balsamic pan reduction*

basmati rice**

oven-roasted asparagus

B&J's vanilla ice cream with a splash of butterscotch liqueur

2004 Confidentia de Font du Vent CDR Villages

*the pan sauce was enriched with about 1/3 cup of a really intense red wine sauce leftover from braised lamb shanks.

**the rice was sheer laziness on my part. I usually serve this with mashed potatoes.

Fancy meat loaf

Mashed potato

Collards

2 slices of an orange weighing more than a pound

Modified Batali's recipe (which I have made as is; terrific), using what was on hand, including the last tube of ground beef from M's share of a local cow and pork from Cedarbrook. No prosciutto (which I missed). Royal trumpets, sautéed and seasoned first, I thought would soak up all the meat juices and add a little texture, but, as often happens when incorporating a sublime mushroom into a larger dish, it kind of got lost and would have been better as a sauce since I also dispensed with much of the basting.

Had a little plain whole-milk yogurt sitting on the counter (Brown Cow) and used that instead of milk for the mash. Wow. Of course it would work since buttermilk also contributes a welcome tang.

iceberg salad with buttermilk stilton dressing

spice-rubbed charcoal grilled tri-tip from Organic Butcher of McLean*

charcoal roasted red pepper

pan-crisped new potato wedges

2005 Fortin Plaisance St. Emilion

*the tastiest, beefiest, crusty yet juciest steak I have had, at home or in a restaurant in many moons. I LOVE my new bbq.

Turkey meatballs with Roquefort chunks. I baked them for a bit, and then braised them in a sauce with caramelized onions and garlic, sour cherry preserves, chili powder, chicken stock, golden raisins and a shot of balsamic. The sweet and sour/fruity/savory sauce worked with the Roquefort-y meatballs. Whew. It could have gone either way :rolleyes: .

Couscous

Broccoli Rabe with toasted garlic and red pepper flakes.

post-138-1235743653_thumb.jpg

Veggie-teen has started eating some meat again!! :rolleyes:

tonight:

salad of forelle pear, shredded fennel, Cashel blue cheese, toasted almonds, cucumber and baby romaine

charcoal roasted, herb-brined Eco-Friendly chicken

risotto with maitake mushroom and English peas

haricots verts

Nancy's Hudson Valley camembert

dried figs

blackberry crisp with vanilla creme fraiche

2007 Las Perdices Malbec