Dinner - The Polyphonic Food Blog

JPW

How did it go?

Last night's menu was a bit eclectic, but everything was good:

Tomato-cucumber-onion salad

Bay scallops with meyer lemon relish over baby arugula

Sloppy Joes on toasted English muffins

After taking inventory, I had onions, bell peppers, tomatoes, and a little Mexican cheese shred mix and sour cream...so, I made fajita with the leftover flank steak. Oven roasted cubed sweet potato with cumin, s&p. Served with seasoned black beans. Overall, it was enjoyable.

tonight:

chilled zucchini soup for Mr. Coughy

fresh pea soup with meyer lemon zest and chervil garnish

slow-roasted salmon with dill butter for my parents (they requested salmon)

pan-fried rex sole for me (I'd had salmon at a friend's house the night before, and besides we never get rex sole in DC and they didn't have any sand dabs, which are even better)

smashed Yukon Gold new potatoes with smoked paprika

steamed white asparagus

Chandler strawberries from the Santa Monica farmers market with Greek yogurt

2008 Susana Balbo Crios Torrontes

After taking inventory, I had onions, bell peppers, tomatoes, and a little Mexican cheese shred mix and sour cream...so, I made fajita with the leftover flank steak. Oven roasted cubed sweet potato with cumin, s&p. Served with seasoned black beans. Overall, it was enjoyable.
Sounds like a great meal. I go on a fajita kick every once in a while and then don't make them for a long time.

Last night was

Leftover bay scallops over arugula

Oven-roasted shallots with rosemary and sesame soy ginger vinaigrette

Roasted chicken

Mashed potatoes

NY strip with chili and porcini crust sprinkled with hickory smoked salt

Steamed artichokes with lemon garlic aioli

Skim milk

I'd never made artichokes before; they always intimidated me. Now I know there's absolutely nothing to fear! Delicious and ridiculously easy. Sauteing mushrooms is more work than this.

Looking for something new and exciting last night, the gf and I cruised the grain aisle at Giant (that's how we roll)...we settled on a cardboard box of quinoa mixed with wild rice from one of those do-gooder looking organic companies.

Ditching the sodium laden "spice pouch," we sauteed together some red onion, red bell pepper and mushrooms, mixed in some chopped dates and toasted pecans...mixed that into the cooked quinoa/wild rice along with a squeeze of lemon.

Viva La Quinoa!

Mango and avocado salad over butter lettuce w/bean sprouts

Cornbread

Miso marinated pork

Cheesy baked mashed potatoes

Asparagus with meyer lemon relish

The pork was the same recipe that Xochitl10 linked to recently. I didn't marinate the cutlets an extremely long time, but they did seem to dry out a bit from the salt in the marinade. Next time I'll try putting them in the freezer in the marinade, the way the original blog entry suggests.

The meyer lemon relish recipe is from Chez Panisse Cookbook, and is that fabulous. It's wonderful over asparagus and makes a beautiful presentation too.

I'm not a big packaged food person, but Mr. lperry loves those ladies at Costco with the electric frying pans and smiling sales pitches. As a result, I now have a huge package of falafel in the freezer. Thursday night I toasted a few in the Toastmaster, made up a quick tahini sauce, and rolled them up in chipotle tortillas with a green salad. Despite the cross cultural issues, it came out quite well and was a nice, light dinner that only took a little while to prepare. The falafel was very crispy out of the toaster oven, so I didn't even have to heat oil for frying.

I'm not a big packaged food person, but Mr. lperry loves those ladies at Costco with the electric frying pans and smiling sales pitches. As a result, I now have a huge package of falafel in the freezer. Thursday night I toasted a few in the Toastmaster, made up a quick tahini sauce, and rolled them up in chipotle tortillas with a green salad. Despite the cross cultural issues, it came out quite well and was a nice, light dinner that only took a little while to prepare. The falafel was very crispy out of the toaster oven, so I didn't even have to heat oil for frying.

Mr. S loves those falafel; they are actually quite good. He also toasts them in the toaster oven. We buy the roll-ups from Costco, salad, hummus, and make a home-made tzatziki with yogurt, dill, and cucumber. It's a quick and healthy dinner for weeknights.

^I was really surprised by them. The last time I tried a store-bought falafel, it was one of those mixes and it was inedibly awful. Thanks for the tzatziki idea - I've got some dill I need to use. I'm also contemplating finding a recipe for those yummy pink turnip pickles.

Don't forget to add a bit of fresh garlic to the tzatziki.
ETA--I should clarify that "he" makes the tzatziki, not "we" :rolleyes: ...and yes he does add garlic powder, I just forgot. We rarely keep fresh garlic in the house since I am allergic, and since I can't eat the falafel anyway, it's all his creation.

Last night Mr. S had the falafel, and I used a similar wrap (Toufayan) sprayed with olive oil and toasted lightly in the toaster oven until pizza-like. Then I topped it with cooked spinach, chopped fresh tomato, shaved aged goat cheese and sprinkled with 6-pepper salt (from Hawaii) and Zatar (from Penzey's). Quite tasty!

A bit of an early spring cold coupled with this chilly, rainy weather had me in the kitchen making split pea soup. I started with a mirepox, and added bay, thyme and marjoram, water, chicken stock and chunks of ham steak.

I also used a smoked ham hock to begin flavoring the soup as it cooked, but removed it after about an hour. I should post this in another thread, but will also ask here-why is that (at least to me) smoked ham hocks impart a musty-ish odor more than smoke (as bacon does in a straightforward way)? That's the best way I can describe how the smell and taste comes across-musty.

Overall, the split pea soup turned out delicious, but I'm glad that I pulled out the hock. Now, I still have 2 more hocks left, but am hesitant to use them in say, greens, in which I love umami.

Accompanying the soup were thick, buttered slices of Eve's ciabatta, picked up still warm from Grape + Bean.

eta: everything but the kitchen sink salad to begin.

last night:

puree'd soup of various vegetables, served chilled to Mr. Coughy, who is now ready to eat some soft food and also ate a scrambled egg

steamed artichokes with meyer lemon vinaigrette

osso bucco with gremolata

risotto with garlic greens

roasted haricots verts with roasted garlic and meyer lemon

strawberries in red wine syrup with whipped cream

2007 Marquis-Phillips Sara's Blend

I also used a smoked ham hock to begin flavoring the soup as it cooked, but removed it after about an hour. I should post this in another thread, but will also ask here-why is that (at least to me) smoked ham hocks impart a musty-ish odor more than smoke (as bacon does in a straightforward way)? That's the best way I can describe how the smell and taste comes across-musty.

Overall, the split pea soup turned out delicious, but I'm glad that I pulled out the hock. Now, I still have 2 more hocks left, but am hesitant to use them in say, greens, in which I love umami.

I don't really care for cooking with ham hocks :rolleyes:<_<. I don't know if it's mustiness or what*, but they're not my preferred ingredient for getting smoky porky flavor into greens and beans. I'll often buy end pieces and odd bits of country ham to use for that purpose, and, more recently, I've been using smoked turkey pieces (wings and/or drumsticks). For some things, I might use salt pork, but that doesn't yield the smokiness.

*I might be able to come up with a better description if I'd cooked with ham hocks more recently than I have. If a recipe specifically calls for it and a substitution doesn't seem wise, I'll use them, but, my preferences lie elsewhere.

Arugula, fennel and orange salad

Chili

Cornbread

The salad was dressed with balsamic and extra virgin olive oil. There were also some scallions in the mix. It came out well despite the fact that the fennel and scallions somehow managed to freeze partially on the bottom shelf of the refrigerator :rolleyes:. (It's a top freezer.)

Arugula, fennel and orange salad

The salad was dressed with balsamic and extra virgin olive oil.

Orange and arugula are a favorite combination!

I like dressing a leafless fennel and orange salad simply w olive oil since you've already got the acid in the orange slices. (Same way you dress an insalata caprese.) Also great w fresh mint, cured black olives and/or rings of paper-thin red onion that have been soaked in cold water for at least 15 minutes, rinsed and dried.

Burgers!

Ground short rib and sirloin

Mayan sweet onions

Special sauce with homemade mayo

6 year Vermont cheddar

Homemade buns (Michel Richard recipe) dipped in butter and toasted

Store-bought dill red potato salad (oh give me a break - I made the BUNS from scratch!)

Peak Organic Nut Brown Ale

Hazelnut espresso cookies + vanilla ice cream = ice cream sandwiches

Eggplant Padona

Sautéed broccoli rabe w garlic, lemon and red chili flakes

Last half pint of Haagen Dasz (for while, promise)

Rebelling against a very PC locavore-diet, had to buy off-season eggplants and a vegetable I adore. While I used cheap TJ substitute for Parmigiano (Hersch: I missed the sale :rolleyes: !), the Blue Ridge mozzarella was great and freshness of basil from Endless Summer higher than much hydroponic in stores. Cut back on butter in Hazan's sauce; have to say the inexpensive Italian plum tomatoes from Harris Teeter were slightly bitter.

New Banana split flavor of H-D disappointing since there's a picture of a strawberry on the carton and all there was inside was mediocre fudge running through okay banana ice cream w maybe a cherry's worth of halves. Corn syrup which could have been somebody's nourishing tortillas (so there, corn farming lobbyists!) as sweetener.

last night in Los Angeles:

I made sorrel soup (schav) which my mother decided she wanted to keep to eat cold after I'd gone...

salad greens with bosc pear, paper-thin shaved fennel, Cashel blue cheese, almonds

chilled cream of corn soup and a scrambled egg for my brother

slow roasted farmed salmon with dill-green garlic-lime butter

braised kale

gratin of red potatoes

Viktor Benes chocolate cake for dessert-- from a great old Hungarian bakery-patisserie that is a long-time family favorite

We drank a Parker 90-point 2007 Cotes du Rhone I got at Costco for $8.99, the name of which got lost somewhere between L.A. and DC today.

Grilled miso-topped tofu

Kinpira mitsuba -- mitsuba stems simmered in sake, sugar, soy sauce, and mirin

Nanohana no karashi-joyu -- rape blossoms, parboiled and chilled, dressed with a soy sauce/sake/dried mustard mixture

Clear soup with wakame and hijiki seaweeds

Steamed rice

Doburoku (fermented rice liquor) and awamori (Okinawan distilled rice liquor)

I have never smoked beef ribs. How long did you smoke them? What wood did you use?

I did the 4-2-1 method @225 and I used apple wood. You can crank up the temp to 250 and get them done in 4 hours, uncovered the entire time.

Was lucky enough to be invited over to a Mexican classmate's house for dinner. His wife and visiting mother-in-law made chimichangas, mole chicken, and chile rillenos. I drank at least a gallon of jamaica. Best part -- they sent me home with leftovers.

Was lucky enough to be invited over to a Mexican classmate's house for dinner. His wife and visiting mother-in-law made chimichangas, mole chicken, and chile rillenos. I drank at least a gallon of jamaica. Best part -- they sent me home with leftovers.

What did they stuff the chiles with? Did they use poblanos? Were they fried in egg batter? Served with a sauce? I always assumed that chimichangas were Ameri-Mex, since they are fried burritos and burritos were invented north of the border. What part of Mexico are they from?

What did they stuff the chiles with? Did they use poblanos? Were they fried in egg batter? Served with a sauce? I always assumed that chimichangas were Ameri-Mex, since they are fried burritos and burritos were invented north of the border. What part of Mexico are they from?

No idea what they stuffed the chiles with and they were fried in some sort of batter with a sauce. The wife's family is from Guadalajara and I'm not sure where my classmate is from but they've all been in the US for a while (family in LA and San Antonio) so that is probably where the chimichangas entered the picture.

No idea what they stuffed the chiles with and they were fried in some sort of batter with a sauce.
The traditional stuffing for chiles rellenos is cheese, although they are sometimes filled with meat. Once in a Mexican restaurant in NY, I was served a chile relleno that was wrapped in a phyllo-type dough and baked and served without sauce. The most typical are first floured and then dipped in a fluffy batter with beaten egg whites, fried and then served in a thin ranchero sauce with tomato, onion and peppers. On occasion, when I have been in somewhat of a hurry, I roll the stuffed chile in masa and dip it in eggwash and then fry it. It's not traditional, but I like it because unlike the beaten eggwhite batter, it absorbs less oil. Sometimes for dinner parties, I make chiles stuffed with crabmeat and serve them with tomatillo sauce or mole verde.

The traditional stuffing for chiles rellenos is cheese, although they are sometimes filled with meat. Once in a Mexican restaurant in NY, I was served a chile relleno that was wrapped in a phyllo-type dough and baked and served without sauce. The most typical are first floured and then dipped in a fluffy batter with beaten egg whites, fried and then served in a thin ranchero sauce with tomato, onion and peppers. On occasion, when I have been in somewhat of a hurry, I roll the stuffed chile in masa and dip it in eggwash and then fry it. It's not traditional, but I like it because unlike the beaten eggwhite batter, it absorbs less oil. Sometimes for dinner parties, I make chiles stuffed with crabmeat and serve them with tomatillo sauce or mole verde.

Stuffed with cheese but don't know what kind. Definitely a fluffy batter and a thin, spicy ranchero sauce. The platter with all the peppers lined up was gorgeous.

Spinach fettuccine w spinach, black trumpet mushrooms. bay scallops, garlic and (sort of) cream

Strawberry from Harris Teeter where clamshells of Driscoll's go for only $1.25 apiece this week. Scientifically developed to ship well and last a long time, the Californian strawberries should last quite a while in my refrigerator since they are loosely wrapped in paper towels and are only kind of ripe.

From batches of duck confit that agm and I separately made in December:

Duck rillettes on baguette (mine)

Duck confit salad w/pears (mine)

Cassoulet (agm & NotQuickDraw)

Fermented grape juice (courtesy of Scott Johnston & cucas87)

Pastry w/lemon creme & berries (agm & NotQuickDraw)

Mascerated strawberries (Ms. DanielK)

Won't have to eat again for a week...

From batches of duck confit that agm and I separately made in December:

Fermented grape juice (courtesy of Scott Johnston & cucas87)

Pastry w/lemon creme & berries (agm & NotQuickDraw)

Mascerated strawberries (Ms. DanielK)

I hope these weren't from batches of confit. =D

Pork potstickers (fried, then finished in double-chicken stock and soy sauce)

Sweet potato salad w green spring (Vadailla) onions and sesame dressing

Strawberries and dark chocolate

Groceries from Trader Joe's, farmers markets at Dupont Circle and Penn Quarter, Whole Foods Market, Harris Teeter & Maxim's.

Arepas filled with scrambled eggs, tomato, goat cheese, and parsley

Yum! When I was in Venezuela, the woman I stayed with made me arepas every morning for breakfast, and I had them with the local fresh cheese and a scrambled egg. She had this little stovetop cast metal griddle that made them perfectly crispy. I wish I knew where to find one of those. Mine are always somewhat rustic looking.

Yum! When I was in Venezuela, the woman I stayed with made me arepas every morning for breakfast, and I had them with the local fresh cheese and a scrambled egg. She had this little stovetop cast metal griddle that made them perfectly crispy. I wish I knew where to find one of those. Mine are always somewhat rustic looking.
I saw references to arepa makers when I was searching online for recipes. In the end I just made the basic recipe off the package of masarepa, with the scrambled egg idea picked up through one of my searches. I had plenty of eggs but not ground meat for the meat fillings I saw.

I'd had the masarepa stored in my pantry for quite a while. I can't remember why I originally bought it--possibly to make arepas :rolleyes:. I finally decided I just needed to use it. While I was in the midst of my search for uses and recipes, I was also cleaning out a jumbled drawer in the kitchen that has a number of owner's manuals for kitchen appliances and so forth. I found a little spiral-bound Oster recipe book that I didn't recall ever seeing before. It must have come with the toaster I bought in 2005. Flipping through it, I found recipes for arepas and filling! The coincidence was pretty funny. It turns out those recipes were in there because Oster sells an arepa maker. It's a nonstick and looks like a waffle iron idea: http://www.oster.com/ProductDetail.aspx?pid=1357

Mine came out pretty well, I thought, for a first try. I used a nonstick griddle pan. They could have been crispier, though. They're much easier to make than pupusas, which I keep trying to make despite multiple mishaps.

I made Guy Fieri's Kemosabe and Jackass Rolls.

Kemosabe Roll: Rice paper roll with sushi rice, BBQ beef brisket, french fries, crispy onions & a garlic chili mayo sauce.

Jackass Roll: Rice paper roll with sushi rice, avocado, BBQ pork, french fries & a garlic chili mayo sauce.

This was my first time making any kinda of shushi and it was okay, but I'm not too good at rolling the roll and it kinda fell apart. I had to ditch the sticks and use a fork after about 2 bites. Next time, I want to make it a bit more spicy. It was kinda bland.

Mine came out pretty well, I thought, for a first try. I used a nonstick griddle pan. They could have been crispier, though. They're much easier to make than pupusas, which I keep trying to make despite multiple mishaps.

I'm sure they were great. You can also sneak extra flavor in by using stock instead of water for the soaking, although I don't think this is traditional. I know some people who use milk.

The extra crispy quality is usually the result of about twenty minutes in the oven after you griddle them. I'm usually too much in a hurry to do this step, and I'm also usually making just one big one for my breakfast. Maybe I could figure out a quick way in the toaster oven, but I haven't messed with it. I'm not much for innovation in the morning. I've seen the electric arepa pan - it was first coming into vogue in Venezuela when I was there the first time. Bettina had this old, wooden handled iron instrument much like the old waffle makers you would use on the stove. I guess it simulates an oven somehow, and you get that crispy shell in one step. I looked for a year for something like that and never found one.

I'm sure they were great. You can also sneak extra flavor in by using stock instead of water for the soaking, although I don't think this is traditional. I know some people who use milk.

The extra crispy quality is usually the result of about twenty minutes in the oven after you griddle them. I'm usually too much in a hurry to do this step, and I'm also usually making just one big one for my breakfast. Maybe I could figure out a quick way in the toaster oven, but I haven't messed with it. I'm not much for innovation in the morning. I've seen the electric arepa pan - it was first coming into vogue in Venezuela when I was there the first time. Bettina had this old, wooden handled iron instrument much like the old waffle makers you would use on the stove. I guess it simulates an oven somehow, and you get that crispy shell in one step. I looked for a year for something like that and never found one.

I saw some recipes using milk, but I just went with water this time. Stock would be interesting. I did finish these in the oven--I think 15 minutes at 350F. I'm reheating the leftover ones tonight. I'll see if I can get them crispier.

They also struck me, once split open, as being like English muffins. I can see why they're a popular breakfast food.