Dinner - The Polyphonic Food Blog

JPW

Last night:

Fuku-bukuro: deep-fried tofu sheets, split and stuffed with simmered ground pork, burdock root, carrot, and shiitake, then rolled and tied with gourd strips and simmered in a dashi/sugar/soy sauce stock

Miso soup with wakame seaweed and crumbled fu (wheat gluten)

5:1 Akita Komachi and black rice, steamed

Tonight:

Miso-grilled tofu

Gobou tataki: simmered, beaten burdock root dressed with ground sesame, soy sauce, vinegar, and brown sugar

Daikon to serori no remon ae: salad made of julienned daikon and celery, scallops, and ginger with a lemon dressing

Leftover miso soup

Steamed rice (back to the local organic hitomebore variety)

dinner with cousins from Montreal:

roasted red pepper and roasted poblano rolled around home made lavender chevre

crostini with maro--fava bean puree with garlic, lemon and basil

Maine sweet shrimp with lemon-fennel aioli

warm medjool dates with lavender chevre, lemon zest and Maldon salt

marinated cippolini onions

chile olives

marcona almonds

2007 Villa Sparina Gavi

duck confit salad with frisee, mache, shaved fennel, blood orange and roasted baby beet

2005 Nicolas Rossignol Bourgogne

charcoal roasted cedar planked British Columbia salmon with cilantro-lime butter

charcoal roasted asparagus

new potatoes pan-crisped in duck fat

Firefly Farm Buche Noir

Everona Piedmont

Cashel blue

dried figs and fresh forelle pear

2001 Villa la Selva Felciaia

flourless chocolate cake with creme chantilly

Amaro Nonino

I had extra pie dough left from a tart I made last week and some ground beef defrosting, so I decided to make Armenian lahmajoon, using a recipe from The Cuisine of Armenia by Sonia Uvezian for the topping. Her recipe calls for lamb, but others call for beef or a mix of the two. I had too much meat topping for the crust, so I made two more pies with flour tortillas as the base. They came out really well. I had no idea if pie pastry would substitute well for the yeast crust the dish calls for, but it worked.

The rest of the meal was leftover rice pilaf and leftover beans with lamb sausage.

^ In the Greens cookbook, Deborah Madison has a recipe for black bean chili that is even better if you up the quantity of chipotles. It may be blasphemous, but, oh my, is it good.

Lately we've been having lots of green salads and roasted vegetables. Cauliflower is always a favorite, and Grand Mart at Seven Corners had organic for 99 cents on Friday, and I also have been roasting the little fingerling potatoes from Costco. I have a jar of Rick Bayless' salsa negra in the fridge, and it makes a chipotle, mayo, lemon sauce in seconds with the immersion blender. It's fantastic with the crispy potatoes. This week I'm going to be making an effort to clean the odds and ends out of the freezer.

Tonight: Gardenburgers with sautéed mushrooms, feta cheese, and chipotle sauce on toasted whole wheat rolls from TJs

Romaine salad with Roquefort and walnuts in a sherry vinaigrette

This rids the freezer of the last of a single package of Gardenburgers (two more to go), and takes the last of a bottle of sherry vinegar, another of olive oil, and an odd bottle of Hornsby's cider I found in the fridge. The mushrooms are cooking in it. I'm not sure why it is so satisfying to get rid of the last bits and pieces of things in the pantry, but it is.

Last night:

hickory-smoked pork shoulder. it was herb-brined for 48 hours and rubbed with mustard and spice blend prior to spending 3 1/2 hours in the bbq at a temperature varying between 225-250 degrees with wet hickory chips on the charcoal. it was then wrapped in foil and spent 2 hours in a 325 degree oven. not quite falling-apart shreddable, but sliced easily and was tender, smoky and moist. served with South Carolina mustard bbq sauce and potato salad with hard-boiled eggs, among other things, dressed with home made lemon aioli, dijon mustard, pear vinegar and greek yogurt. we drank Dogfish Head Indian Brown Ale with dinner and then had leftover flourless chocolate cake and Gifford's toasted coconut ice cream for dessert.

Moroccan Lamb Stew Smothered with Lemon and Olives (Click)

Couscous

mdt was kind enough to pass along his recipe, but I unfortunately didn't have the time (or ingredients) required. I wound up making Moroccan Slow-Cooked Lamb and was pretty happy with how it turned out. I had just under a pound of lamb cubes from Smith Meadow Farm (the recipe calls for 2 1/2 lbs), which I thought was plenty. I doubled the chick peas (from 1 to 2 cans). It has a kick from the cayenne, which I might reduce slightly next time. Plenty of leftovers - and the lamb was delicious - I'll be looking for more next time I'm at the farmer's market.

Whole Wheat Couscous

simple green salad

I definitely want to give the Paula Wolfert recipe a shot when I'm better organized.

I love Paula Wolfert's recipes for lamb tagines!

Linguine with clams (pasta undercooked to finish in the sauce)

Tangy salad of escarole, herba stella and tiny arugula leaves mixed with French breakfast radishes

Gold Rush apple slivers next time (too hungry to wait)

Pear

last night:

sliced pork shoulder with mustard bbq sauce

Farm at Sunnyside pinto beans cooked with smoked shoulder bone and skin

potato salad

cole slaw

crispy skillet corn bread with North Carolina sourwood honey

Gifford's vanilla ice cream with butterscotch liqueur

2006 Hampton Bridge zinfandel

Last night: The never ending sixteen bean soup. The next time you are in a little general store in the middle of West Virginia and a five pound bag of sixteen bean soup sounds like a good idea, just remember how much bean soup you will be eating. Fortunately, we aren't completely tired of it yet. I have been trying to mix it up a bit and it is awfully good when it's so cold out. Last night was a simple mirepoix with some tomato paste, bay leaves, thyme, and smoked paprika for depth. I was going to put in a box of chopped spinach I found in the freezer, but upon examination, it was found to have moved on to that great garden in the sky.

La Brea sourdough bread on the side.

A rare Western food night:

Pan-seared Old Bay-laden pork chops

Browned butter mashed potatoes (potatoes were a gift from Azami's student the organic rice farmer)

Spinach salad with wasabi dressing

Cajun Kamikazes: Absolut Peppar, Cointreau, lime juice, the Japanese equivalent of Rose's

I don't think I've ever roasted berries. Is there a special technique, or is it just what it sounds like?

Just sprinkled with sugar and a little bit of cinnamon. A little lemon juice. A drizzle of roasted almond oil (optional) or bits of butter. High heat (425 in this case). For about ten minutes or a bit more. It's like pie filling without the crust. Very good technique with blueberries as well.

Just sprinkled with sugar and a little bit of cinnamon. A little lemon juice. A drizzle of roasted almond oil (optional) or bits of butter. High heat (425 in this case). For about ten minutes or a bit more. It's like pie filling without the crust. Very good technique with blueberries as well.
Thanks, Zora. I'll have to try this.

Marinated lamb chops in red wine, evoo, s&p, thyme, rosemary, oregano, minced garlic. Seared in skillet and deglazed with red wine.

Risotto with black trumpet mushrooms (Dupont market)-stopped by The Italian store and picked up carnaroli rice. The best risotto I've ever made-and I had stopped making it after glue-y and blah results using arborio. I'm assumig arborio is just fine to use-but the carnaroli makes an amateur like me look good!

Roasted asparagus with a roasted yellow bell pepper coulis.

Dolce de Leche Girl Scout cookies.

Redleaf lettuce and tomato salad with vinaigrette

Cheesesteaks with provolone, onions, mushrooms, and banana peppers

Utz potato chips

The rolls were a little too flaky for cheesesteaks, but otherwise everything came out well. I need to use a trip to PA to hoard some Amoroso rolls.

A romaine salad with baked tofu marinated in a honey-ginger marinade. I'm not usually a big tofu lover, but marinated, baked and basted tofu ends up with the texture of cheese and the taste of whatever you chose for the marinade. Very nice in a salad.

Frankly Eliza hot dog w doctored baked beans and tons of TJ Dijon mustard

Long pause since not at all complementary, but terrific:

Salad of escarole, very thin slices of Gold Rush apple, and finely chopped toasted walnuts

Dressing: Gorgonzola (modest chunk) mashed into Champagne vinegar before stirring in unfiltered olive oil. S&P

a marcella hazan classic cooking night:

spaghetti in garlic, tomato and tuna sauce, with last-minute butter and parsley -- our all-time favorite canned tuna recipe.

and broccoli. she doesn't favor al dente vegetables, and in the case of broccoli who does? these are boiled until about done, five minutes give or take, (in salted pre-pasta water) and later added to a pan where garlic has been sauteed in good olive oil to pale gold. the broccoli is tossed in the oil and finished off in the pan for a minute or two, not losing the bright green. a little salt and it's ready, the best broccoli ever, sweet and even an imaginary trace of lemon. hazan is great at providing simple techniques that really do wonders, and her recipes generally don't allow you to lose your way.

Yudofu -- kinugoshi (silken) tofu simmered along with some konbu until heated, then plopped into homemade ponzu and garnished with chives and/or grated garlic

Kinpira ninjin -- julienned carrot, stir-fried with dried red chile pepper, then simmered with sake, soy sauce, sugar, and mirin

Chinese yam, julienned and garnished with katsuobushi (bonito flakes) and light soy sauce

Miso-pickled chile peppers :rolleyes:

Miso soup with fresh wakame seaweed and sliced shiitake

Steamed rice

Yudofu -- kinugoshi (silken) tofu simmered along with some konbu until heated, then plopped into homemade ponzu and garnished with chives and/or grated garlic

What's your recipe for homemade ponzu sauce? I know I'm not likely to find fresh yuzu, but I have some bottled yuzu juice I can use.

I made pork katsu the other night, and was rather surprised at the "traditional" recipes for the katsu sauce that I found online: ketchup, dijon mustard, worcestershire sauce and brown sugar being the primary ingredients and soy sauce being the only strictly Asian one. It was tasty, though. I started out thinking: "What am I going to do with these thin boneless pork chops?" and then I ended up making them even thinner by butterflying and pounding them out into cutlets, breading them with panko and pan frying them into Japanese schnitzel. It's been a long time since I did that, and I have to say, it was delicious!

last night:

charcoal grilled lamb loin chops (Veggie-teen ate one! I'll have to think of a new moniker for her now.)

orzo with feta, basil, green garlic, tomato and pine nuts

roasted beets

braised beet greens

2006 Dom. La Garrigue Cuvee Romaine

charcoal grilled lamb loin chops (Veggie-teen ate one! I'll have to think of a new moniker for her now.)
Soon, post/veggie-mama, the second part of the screen-name has gotta go, too! :rolleyes:

Dinner:

Polenta w mascarpone, Hedgehog and Royal Trumpet mushrooms

Wilted escarole

We didn't feel like marinating the chicken I had bought, but we had some leftover cooked chicken breast. But we also had some Gardenburger black bean chipotle burgers. So I just browned them up on the grill with a squeeze of lime juice, and sliced them into strips. Nonfat yogurt instead sour cream, caramelized onions, red peppers, cilantro, tomato, and some cheese on the tortilla. Surprisingly good.

One of those weird clean out dinners:

Sun dried tomato and herbed goat cheese quesadillas on chipotle tortillas

A green salad with baked tofu marinated in a honey ginger sauce

If you put enough time between the two, they kind of worked together...

What's your recipe for homemade ponzu sauce?
I've used a couple. The first time, the recipe was close to this, but with yuzu juice in place of the lime juice. I liked it a lot. This time, I couldn't find that recipe again so I used a quick, uncooked one of just shoyu and citrus (I used the lemon I had hanging around) with a splash of mirin. It didn't have much depth of flavor, so I'd recommend a cooked one.
I made pork katsu the other night, and was rather surprised at the "traditional" recipes for the katsu sauce that I found online: ketchup, dijon mustard, worcestershire sauce and brown sugar being the primary ingredients and soy sauce being the only strictly Asian one.
Heh. Ketchup goes into lots of youshoku (Western-style food) here, especially sauces: tonkatsu sauce, hanbaagu (hamburger patty served with rice or noodles; not the sandwich) sauce, napolitan spaghetti sauce (ketchup-based sauce with green peppers, maybe onion, canned mushrooms, and strange little Vienna sausage-like things). It's also a major component of omuraisu, a thin omelette usually stuffed with ketchup-seasoned chicken fried rice and decorated with ketchup.

leftover iceberg salad

cream of potato soup with bacon

rack of lamb (coated with mustard and bread crumbs, cooked medium rare)

I'd bought the lamb at Costco last month when there was an automatic coupon for a couple of dollars off and froze it. Even without the extra discount, their prices on lamb tend to be pretty good. I ate my lamb chops with mint jelly :rolleyes:.