Dinner - The Polyphonic Food Blog

JPW

We ventured out in the snow for groceries, only to discover when we got home that *someone* forgot butter. Nick had decided it was to be a mac n cheese night, and somehow I volunteered to venture out in search of butter.

This is actually a problem when one is at 9th and V, and it is snowing out. Neither CVS nor 7-11 had butter. The 11-mart, tucked down a dark part of 11th, redolent with the smell of bleach and damp, had a shrink-wrapped pack of 9 lbs of butter tuck way back in the back of the cheese shelf. I was not walking to columbia heights *or* P street for butter. It was cold.

I grabbed a lb of indeterminate butter, put it in the bullet-proof tray with a 5-spot on top, and watched it whirl away from me and towards the cashier.

On the way home I trudged past oohs and aahs, and stuck my head in. Every experiment needs a control, right? A quart of their mac n cheese obtained, I went home.

We had a *lot* of mac n cheese last night: some traditional soul food, some with sharp cheddar and Gruyère. Both good.

Braised veal short ribs with parsnips

Corn Pudding

Mashed turnips and potatoes

Green beans with cashews and fried prosciutto

Prosciutto-Parmesan bread

Everything but the veal and parsnips was recycled leftovers. The prosciutto and cashews were great with the green beans. The veal was grass-fed, and I think I overcooked it. It should have been more tender than it was. The parsnips, however, were excellent. I know there must be a name for the technique, but I don't know what it is. They were cooked in water until the water burned off and then butter was added to the pan and they cooked a few more minutes in that. They were really good.

I'm planning to chop the leftover veal in fairly small pieces and use it in a pot pie for dinner tonight. I'm going to cook some turnips, carrots, and squash in the leftover braising liquid and reduce it. Then I'll add the veal back in and bake the pie. I want to cook the veal a minimal amount more since it's already overcooked.

A hearty meal on a cold almost-winter's night:

Veal stew

White cheese chicken lasagna

The lasagna was great. It was a good use for leftover chicken. I also had leftover manicotti filling (ricotta and goat cheeses mixed with chopped turnip greens). I used that for the ricotta portion and omitted the spinach. I added more chicken in place of the spinach in that layer.

I intended to turn last night's leftover veal into pot pie but only got as far as making the filling. I decided I didn't have time and energy for making the pie crust to turn it into pot pie. It worked well as stew. The veal didn't seem tough cut into small cubes for the stew. I used onions, carrots, parsnips, turnips, and zucchini for the vegetables.

Porc, your description of the acorn squash sounded so good, but wasn't sure what to do w the sage. Ended up making a sage butter for roasting. Didn't have the patience to deep-fry battered leaves, though those might have been nice to dip into the yolk.

A little more detail, then: cut the squash longitudinally and cut a slice off the outside so that they can sit up straight; get all the seeds out; coat in olive oil and salt, roast in oven cut side down until tender (about 40 min at 375). Remove from oven, cut a few shallow slits in the cavity, rub with butter (yeah I know, oil then butter?; but who am I to question Frank Ruta?), drop in a slice of hot chili pepper (eg serrano) and a few sage leaves, then return to oven and bake until the butter is all melted and almost sizzling, then take them out of the oven and crack an egg into each cavity, drizzle that with oil, more sage, more chili pepper, salt; back in the oven one more time to set the eggs; shave lots of cheese over all.

Love your idea for deep fried sage leaves. (There ought to be a 'licking your lips' emoticon.)

Roast chicken, shred meat and skin into a pot with golden raisins, 3T chopped fresh rosemary and the juice from the roast pan, plus more broth if needed. Mix with tagliatelle and eat straight out of the pan. Or in bowls, if you must. I find this dish intoxicating.

A little more detail, then: cut the squash longitudinally and cut a slice off the outside so that they can sit up straight; get all the seeds out; coat in olive oil and salt, roast in oven cut side down until tender (about 40 min at 375). Remove from oven, cut a few shallow slits in the cavity, rub with butter (yeah I know, oil then butter?; but who am I to question Frank Ruta?), drop in a slice of hot chili pepper (eg serrano) and a few sage leaves, then return to oven and bake until the butter is all melted and almost sizzling, then take them out of the oven and crack an egg into each cavity, drizzle that with oil, more sage, more chili pepper, salt; back in the oven one more time to set the eggs; shave lots of cheese over all.

Love your idea for deep fried sage leaves. (There ought to be a 'licking your lips' emoticon.)

I love acorn squash. We had them last night along with a kickass chicken noodle soup my wife made (well, except the noodles).

Someone turned me on to acorn squash with lime. The flavors work great-- just roast them as you mention above, and then make a lime vinaigrette with a little cumin and pour a little over the roasted squash. If you want more roasted flavor, and shorter cooking time, cut the squash into wedges. Be careful with that knife-- cutting a squash is indeed perilous.

Salad of Belgian endive, apple, balsamic vinegar glazed roasted butternut squash, blue cheese

Ciabatta roll

The salad is from the current issue of Bon Apetit, and frankly sounds better than it tastes. I figured the squash would give it enough substance to stand alone as a light main course, and it did, but the flavor combination was just odd. Think I'd like it better using the squash for a soup to be eaten alongside.

AD, thanks for the acorn squash with lime recipe!

Someone turned me on to acorn squash with lime. The flavors work great-- just roast them as you mention above, and then make a lime vinaigrette with a little cumin and pour a little over the roasted squash.

Lime vinaigrette with cumin (and cilantro) is wonderful in two other dishes that I've also enjoyed: first is in a barley and corn salad that is very simple and works well with frozen corn or Trader Joe's canned corn, which is sweet and crisp. I've done that one many times and it is really delicious. The second is a Russ Parsons recipe that I found last year--wedges of fuyu persimmon tossed with lime-cumin vinaigrette and cilantro. I like it a lot, but it was not as well received by my family. I love the sweetness of the persimmon with the lime juice. Be sure in all applications to use some shredded lime zest, as well.

Hasenpfeffer over polenta

Salad

Clementines from Spain

Wine & vinegar marinated Eco-Friendly rabbit legs braised w bacon, mirepoix vegetables, mushrooms and just a touch of cocoa powder.

P.S. Thanks, P, for full details on squash, and both AD & ZM for further thoughts on something else to do w the limes and cilantro in fridge.

merguez (lamb) meatballs with minted yogurt

basmati rice

gigante beans with tomato sauce (canned)

golden cauliflower sauteed/steamed with ras al hanout

sliced cucumbers with meyer lemon juice and sea salt

hummus and mini-pitas

Trader Joe's chocolate-covered fleur de sel caramel

clementine

2005 Dom. Chantelouserie Bourgueil

More like all day grazing starting around 2:

Creme brulee french toast

Lox on pumpernickel with a lemon cream cheese (HV)

Bowls full of Apple Jacks

and a peppery Bloody Mary (or two) to wash all my cares away.

Don't forget

baked mac and cheese

Hash brown casserole

Homemade yellow cake with chocolate chunks

vanilla filled lace cookies

Don't forget

baked mac and cheese

Hash brown casserole

Homemade yellow cake with chocolate chunks

vanilla filled lace cookies

yeah, I didn't eat any of that. By the time I got there, M&C and the casserole were cold (call me lazy, I wouldn't walk three steps & pop it in the microwave to reheat). Guess it also helps that I had already had baked brie, tortellini, salad and cookies at a baby shower 30 minutes earlier. Ugh, I don't think I'm going to eat for a week.

Spicy chicken sandwiches with cilantro lime mayo. Yum.

The chicken was marinated in egg, Tabasco, oregano, salt, and pepper, and was then rolled in crushed baked tortilla chips and pan seared. I served the cutlets on Kaiser rolls with lettuce, red onion slices, and the mayo.

Did you like the recipe for muttar paneer, and if so will you post it? I haven't found one yet that was worth making again. :P
I did like it, but the fried cheese was messy and a pain.

Muttar Paneer

* 1/2 cup vegetable oil

* 8 ounces paneer, cut into 1/2-inch cubes

* 1 onion, halved

* 2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped

* 1-inch piece ginger, roughly chopped

* Sprinkling of salt

* 1 teaspoon turmeric

* 1 teaspoon garam masala

* 2 (10-ounce) packets frozen peas

* 1 teaspoon tomato puree

* 1 cup vegetable stock

* Special equipment: food processor

Directions

Heat the oil a large skillet and add the paneer cubes, in 2 batches, and fry until they are golden. Remove the golden cubes to a double thickness of kitchen towel. (It is possible to dry fry the paneer cubes in the pan with no oil, to avoid the oil splashing you. Then continue with the recipe below.)

Pour all but about 2 tablespoons of the oil out of the pan. Put the onion, garlic cloves, and ginger into a food processor and blitz to a coarse pulp. Fry gently for about 5 minutes with a sprinkling of salt. Stir in the garam masala and turmeric and cook for another 2 minutes before adding the still frozen peas.

Dissolve the tomato puree in the vegetable stock and pour over the contents of the pan. Stir again and turn the heat down to low, cover with foil or a lid and cook for 15 minutes, tasting to check that the peas are tender. You can cook muttar paneer up to this stage, if you like, uncovering and then reheating gently with the diced, oil-crisped cheese, or proceed directly now.

In which case, take off the foil and add the paneer cubes to warm them through before serving.

Braised spareribs w diced root vegetables and Savoy cabbage

German egg noodles

Apple w cheddar

Recipe for guinea hens in Cooking at Home on Rue Tatin was source of inspiration; results great for rainy winter day. Ribs from Cedarbrook. Bacon: Highland Dairy. Sunchokes: Next Step Produce. Parsnip: Sunnyside. Yellow & orange carrots: Twin Springs. Onions: Snider's. Lemon thyme: Farm @ Sunnyside. Fresh bay leaves: Bernie. Juniper berries: Heather. Willm, noodles & parsley: Rodman's. Champagne vinegar, olive oil, salt & pepper: Whole Foods. Pear cider: Black Rock Orchards. [Exceptionally delicious] Savoy cabbages: Tree & Leaf. Gold Rush apple: Toigo. Cave-aged cheddar: Chapel's Country Creamery.

Ribs from Cedarbrook. Bacon: Highland Dairy. Sunchokes: Next Step Produce. Parsnip: Sunnyside. Yellow & orange carrots: Twin Springs. Onions: Snider's. Lemon thyme: Farm @ Sunnyside. Fresh bay leaves: Bernie. Juniper berries: Heather. Willm, noodles & parsley: Rodman's. Champagne vinegar, olive oil, salt & pepper: Whole Foods. Pear cider: Black Rock Orchards. [Exceptionally delicious] Savoy cabbages: Tree & Leaf. Gold Rush apple: Toigo. Cave-aged cheddar: Chapel's Country Creamery.

I'd be very surprised if anyone managed a more locavorian meal than that!

Tuesday:

Lamb Loin

Reduced equal parts Merlot and Pomegranate by one-half, dropped in a bayleaf and added arrowroot for thickening

Deglazed onions

Roasted red potatoes

Wednesday:

Seared sea scallops

Angel Hair pasta with grated Parmigiano-Reggiano

*leftover reduction from Tuesday night dinner

Ham and cabot sharp cheddar sandwiches on Marvelous Market rustic bread

Sweet potato bourbon soup from the Post article on Ris Lacoste yesterday

The soup called for 1 1/2 cups of bourbon, which I thought seemed excessive, so I only used 1/2 cup. It also called for a valencia orange, but I used a tangerine, since I still have most of a bag of them. This soup smells and tastes wonderful.

Tonight:

J--Aviation gin dry martini, olive and twist.

Me--a "Ginger Rodgers" (our name)--Hendrick's gin, Dolin dry vermouth, Domaine de Canton ginger liqueur and Meyer lemon twist. Delicious!

Hubert Keller's potato, shallot and fresh herb pie--an Alsatian double-crusted potato quiche with Comté

Haricots verts

2007 Treana Central Coast Viognier/Marsanne