Trader Joe's, 16 Area Locations

The chocolate covered caramels are worth another trip. They come in a rather small flat red and blue box. In the Bethesa store I believe that they are stacked with the other candy over the double open frozen food aisle, near the entrance. I was in the Foggy Bottom store the other day and couldn't find them so I asked an employee who led me to them. they were hidden on a shelf of holiday treats opposite the prepared food case, near the entrance. As I was checking out, the cashier gave me a knowing look and said "I'm addicted to these..."

I just returned from the Bethesda store and they are sold out of the chocolate-covered sea salt caramels, and won't be getting more in. The manager told me that he had just called the Silver Spring store and had them put aside 15 boxes for one of his customers. Another addict, I'm afraid. But it appears that they are selling out quickly. Last year, I could still find them after New Year's.

I picked up a box of chocolate covered sea salt caramels the other day. They were awful. The chocolate was too thick and instead of a few flakes of fleur de sel, there were way too many large chunks of dead sea salt. I'm talking large rocks of salt. Suck on a salt lick large rocks of salt. These were in a red and white box and sounds different then the ones others are describing. Choose carefully. On the bright side, the caramel inside was quite good.

I picked up a box of chocolate covered sea salt caramels the other day. They were awful. The chocolate was too thick and instead of a few flakes of fleur de sel, there were way too many large chunks of dead sea salt. I'm talking large rocks of salt. Suck on a salt lick large rocks of salt. These were in a red and white box and sounds different then the ones others are describing. Choose carefully. On the bright side, the caramel inside was quite good.

Those are the ones I love. Too bad you didn't like them but then there will be one less person competing for a limited supply.

A chacun son gout.

Those are the ones I love. Too bad you didn't like them but then there will be one less person competing for a limited supply.

A chacun son gout.

They had a lot up here. I'll tell them to send them south to you! Generally, I like salty stuff but this was just too much.

They had a lot up here. I'll tell them to send them south to you! Generally, I like salty stuff but this was just too much.

When I asked the cashier his opinion of the sea salt caramels, he warned me specifically that they were very salty. And that they usually sold out very quickly.

A rant on a different item - they are always out of the plain naan! Which means we can't eat curry! (I'm completely serious.)

The global rice crisis has come to Trader Joe's. The Italian arborio rice is now in a 500 gram package for the same price as the kilo used to cost. I wish they would just up the price to cut down on packaging. Fortunately, the dark chocolate covered ginger is still in the large tub.

The global rice crisis has come to Trader Joe's. The Italian arborio rice is now in a 500 gram package for the same price as the kilo used to cost. I wish they would just up the price to cut down on packaging. Fortunately, the dark chocolate covered ginger is still in the large tub.

I was just talking about this with my wife yesterday (we love to make risotto, but try to limit ourselves to the colder months). Half the rice for the same price is still a deal relative to other sources, but it used to be a DEAL.

Sadly, I'm pretty much kryptonite for Trader Joe's products. The more I like them, the more likely they are to be discontinued.

I usually only hit TJ's maybe once every month or two for goodies, while going down the first aisle, I had a woman swoop past me & take all the bags of unsulphured apricots. Now, I love apricots, but these looked really BROWN-why would you get them, an allergy to sulphured products? (I'm serious, I thought about getting some, but just picked up some golden raisins, instead).

Other stuff I picked up-vanilla, salsas (really like the chile verde), a hummous sampler for my DH, various chips, pink fizzy lemonade, chocolate covered almonds, 2 pre-prepped items-Thai style lime pilaf rice & spinach, lentil, & garlic soup, 2 frozen items-seafood crab cakes & spanokopita-no apologies, I love both of these, & cookies for this visit (abstaining from triple ginger & cookies for cats)-Old world style triple ginger thins & dark chocolate covered gingersnaps. The latter were not what I expected, I was picturing choc-dipped gingersnaps, these are tiny bites (like a choc-covered almond) of ginger cookies, good, but a bit too much chocolate coating for me. I love TJ's, but I always feel like I've picked up snacks & condiments vs. food, when I go....

I usually only hit TJ's maybe once every month or two for goodies, while going down the first aisle, I had a woman swoop past me & take all the bags of unsulphured apricots. Now, I love apricots, but these looked really BROWN-why would you get them, an allergy to sulphured products?

Though I have contacted TJ's about this, I never thought to post until I saw your notes. TJs sells 'sweet apricot kernels' which are, literally, apricot kernels. They look like petite almonds. I am allergic to tree nuts, so before I bought them, I asked with the store manager (Foggy Bottom) about the product.. bought them and before eating them did my research. Sweet apricot kernels are not almonds, but share many properties and may result in cross-reaction for those allergic to tree nuts. With my trusty Epi-pen at my side, I tried a few. Sure enough, had a (non life threatening, but anaphylactic) reaction. I have written to TJs about posting cross reaction warnings on their products... if you have more interest in this, PM me an dI will share with you the research I have found or the full story.

Anywhos, I will say I respect TJs for their consideration of allergic consumers in general. They are very VERY careful about cross-contamination, even with so-called "European" allergies such as sesame (to which I am allergic. However, no matter how careful a store may be, do your own research. Your life may depend on it.

I agree, luckily, I am not allergic to anything (except kapok), but I noticed that the TJ products were labelled as 'processed w/ nuts, & other stuff', I realize how lucky I am to be able to use products without having to worry about specific allergens. It must be awfully difficult to try & sort out products that may have harmful side effects...

I was at TJ yesterday looking for their ultra cheap compressed rawhide for the little ones.For the third time in a row they were out.I asked a staff member and they said that everything form China had been discontinued.I am all for that! Hooray for Trader Joe's! I try to buy all American products only but the lure of the cheap rawhide was great.

Current TJ's rave- spinach, garlic, lentil soup. Oh, yum! Especially with the garlic naan! I do wish that the Thai shrimp gyoza would make a return appearance. They're my fave of the dumplings. Lately I've been digging on the honey chevre, too. And the roasted veggie enchiladas...and chicken verde... and banana waffles... sigh... I love Trader Joe's.

Really gorgeous artichokes available at Trader joe's right now. Medium sized, no discoloration at all, and nice and heavy. Four for $2.29, perfect for Marcella Hazan's stuffed artichoke recipe.

Fake Trader Joe's ad from the internet... Really funny and really true...

Click

(Psst, Zora!): Pie crusts were back in stock at the Foggy Bottom location today for $4.49.
Thanks for the update! I almost went there after shopping at the Dupont Circle farmers' market this morning, but I couldn't face the inevitable Sunday crowds there, magnified by pre-snowstorm grocery shopping frenzy.

Thanks for the update! I almost went there after shopping at the Dupont Circle farmers' market this morning, but I couldn't face the inevitable Sunday crowds there, magnified by pre-snowstorm grocery shopping frenzy.

Dumb me walked in there yesterday afternoon around 4 and it was a complete madhouse. I left quickly.

Has anyone gone for the tarocco oranges yet? I squeezed a few, but each bag seemed to have at least two not-so-good pieces of fruit, so I wasn't sure if this was a repeat of lackluster shipments in the past.

I still am waiting for oranges as good as the ones wrapped in crinkly-paper that Safeway sold at Tenley Town years ago.

Has anyone gone for the tarocco oranges yet? I squeezed a few, but each bag seemed to have at least two not-so-good pieces of fruit, so I wasn't sure if this was a repeat of lackluster shipments in the past.

I still am waiting for oranges as good as the ones wrapped in crinkly-paper that Safeway sold at Tenley Town years ago.

yes. They're quite good, but as you noticed, of variable quality. I always need to test a bunch of bags to see which is best.

They also aren't consistent in color. I've had a couple that had almost no hint of red to them and a couple that could be mistaken for blood oranges.

Just came across this link on the Daily Sneeze ( home of "Steve Don't Eat That!"). It's a kinda cute jingle someone with too much time on their hands did for TJs and I wanted to share.
I suspect Rieux (above) beat you to this; it is quite adorable.

Along the lines of discontinued products: Panko-like crumbs which TJ claims no one is buying. I passed on the new organic packaged bread crumbs for reasons obvious to Panko-fans who overlook ingredients for the sake of superior results when you don't have either the bread, energy or equipment to make your own fresh crumbs.

Also couldn't find signs for vanilla beans which Trader Joe's used to carry for the best price around. Someone at the store suggested going to World Mart, instead.

ALSO, no sign of bottled Moroccan cured, black olives in sight. Discontinued too?

Since someone had single-handedly bought out all the KA a-p flour ($4.49 5# bag; or $1> WFM if WFM wasn't out of stock, too), I was left with only a package of organic spaghetti to buy.

So, caved and picked up some Grana, figuring it would help in budgeting now that good Parm Reg runs at least $18-$20 at most places. Label said it was aged at least 18 months, why not? Using a box grater, I found that instead of turning into the fine powder (the way many Italians insist aged cheeses should fall onto their primi), it reacted like a block of supermarket cheddar.

Since someone had single-handedly bought out all the KA a-p flour ($4.49 5# bag; or $1> WFM if WFM wasn't out of stock, too), I was left with only a package of organic spaghetti to buy.

I am on the KA email list, and they sent out an announcement a couple of weeks ago that TJs would no longer carry their flour, and the reason given was TJs wish to carry more of their own brands. I don't know if that means we will be seeing TJ flour or not. The email linked to a page where you could find a store that does carry KA, just in case. Harris Teeter usually has it, and it is frequently on sale.

I am on the KA email list, and they sent out an announcement a couple of weeks ago that TJs would no longer carry their flour, and the reason given was TJs wish to carry more of their own brands. I don't know if that means we will be seeing TJ flour or not. The email linked to a page where you could find a store that does carry KA, just in case. Harris Teeter usually has it, and it is frequently on sale.
Bummer. TJs has the lowest price of KA flour around me...$3.69 for 5# bag.

now that good Parm Reg runs at least $18-$20 at most places.
Calvert Woodley's cheese counter is the place to go for Parmigiano Reggiano. They have it among their specials I think about one week out of four, or maybe six. In mid-February, I bought some for $11.99/lb, and it's good, too. Whole Foods nowadays is charging (I think) $14.99 for grana! (Although I imagine it's rather better that what you describe from TJ's.)

The Old Town Trader Joe's has completed their expansion into the former Quizno's and Blockbuster spaces to the south of the store. They're still getting things moved into their final locations, but the space is much bigger and includes a very nice demonstration/tasting area. Hopefully they'll be doing some additional reworking of the checkout area - it's still crowded and there is now room to make it more functional. I kind of liked the cozy little old space, but it's nice to know they've got room for more products so they may run out of things less frequently. I also think that this store has some of the nicest employees ever - they're always friendly, happy, and helpful!

Recently Zora recommended the dried porcini at Trader Joe's and indeed, the company used to have the best price. However, the D.C. stores stopped carrying it a couple of years ago, I thought.

Has it made a come-back?

It's entirely possible that they don't have it anymore. In fact, as I write, I am looking at a bag entitled "Mixed Wild Mushroom Medley"* which I bought at the Culver City TJ's, and which may be the product that they are now carrying nationally in lieu of the dried porcinis. It's been a long time since I bought any porcinis, because I have a large supply purchased from Surfas a couple of years ago. My bad for providing outdated info.

*the medley consists of porcini, shiitake, black and oyster mushrooms, only the porcini is wild--all the others are cultivated. I hate it when they do that.

Big thumbs up on the new Alexandria TJ's space - I finally had a chance to visit it last night.

I was expecting more chaos from not knowing where things are, but I enjoyed just wandering the aisles a little and I did find everything just fine.

Big thumbs up on the new Alexandria TJ's space - I finally had a chance to visit it last night.

I was expecting more chaos from not knowing where things are, but I enjoyed just wandering the aisles a little and I did find everything just fine.

I need to head over there. I drive more than twice as far to Bailey's Crossroads just because the Old Town location is (was??) so cramped. When the weather gets nicer, I can even bike. :rolleyes:

Alas, I discovered on Saturday evening that the Focaccia Loaf with Rosemary is no more. The crew member who kindly checked in back and looked on the computer at my request thanked me for asking her to pursue it, as they were stocking shelves at the time, so she could now remove the label from the shelf and not be continually asked where it was.

And I so enjoyed toasted slices slathered with their jarred bruchetta.

Recently Zora recommended the dried porcini at Trader Joe's and indeed, the company used to have the best price. However, the D.C. stores stopped carrying it a couple of years ago, I thought.

Has it made a come-back?

It's entirely possible that they don't have it anymore. In fact, as I write, I am looking at a bag entitled "Mixed Wild Mushroom Medley"* which I bought at the Culver City TJ's, and which may be the product that they are now carrying nationally in lieu of the dried porcinis. It's been a long time since I bought any porcinis, because I have a large supply purchased from Surfas a couple of years ago. My bad for providing outdated info.

*the medley consists of porcini, shiitake, black and oyster mushrooms, only the porcini is wild--all the others are cultivated. I hate it when they do that.

I asked at the Old Town TJ's the other day and they didn't have any type of dried mushroom product - neither a mix nor porcini. They are still getting things fully stocked and organized as they finish up their expansion, so I'll look again in a few weeks.

So I bought a package of frozen buffalo burgers the other day. They say 'cook from frozen', and yet they are packaged in twos, with paper in between. I had to thaw them out to cook them. They were decent-tasting, not great, but whomever designed that packaging was, uhh, missing something upstairs.

I asked at the Old Town TJ's the other day and they didn't have any type of dried mushroom product - neither a mix nor porcini. They are still getting things fully stocked and organized as they finish up their expansion, so I'll look again in a few weeks.
I saw the medley in the Foggy Bottom location last few times I shopped there. Look for packets clipped to those doo-hickies they space up and down the aisle where you find oil, pickles, tuna, pasta, nuts, etc.

And Aaron, theoretically, all you have to do is slide a regular table-setting knife in between the burgers; the paper's there to ease prying.

I saw the medley in the Foggy Bottom location last few times I shopped there. Look for packets clipped to those doo-hickies they space up and down the aisle where you find oil, pickles, tuna, pasta, nuts, etc.

And Aaron, theoretically, all you have to do is slide a regular table-setting knife in between the burgers; the paper's there to ease prying.

Tried that. No go. Frozen solid together.

Yes, saw (and bought) those too at Foggy Bottom a week ago--$1.99.

ET clarify: "Mixed Wild Mushroom Medley: Porcini, Shiitake, Black & Oyster Mushrooms," 25g

I picked up some TJ's strawberry lemonade from the refrigerator section, thinking it would be better than their non-refrigerated stuff in a bottle. It has a very weird, slightly chemical aftertaste. As much as I hate to do it, I think I need to throw out the remainder because it freaks me out.

I picked up some TJ's strawberry lemonade from the refrigerator section, thinking it would be better than their non-refrigerated stuff in a bottle. It has a very weird, slightly chemical aftertaste. As much as I hate to do it, I think I need to throw out the remainder because it freaks me out.
Jamie, Jamie, Jamie, it's like STRAWBERRY season! :D

Get thee to a farmers market, go! I don't care which when where, just go for the love of pete, or drive or bike or skate thee to a field and pluck, rinse, drain, sugar, mash and mix em up in some (real--no powder) lemonade.

:blink:

Otherwise, Odwalla is my splurge of choice.

In the continuing saga of TJ's discontinuation of inventory that got you hooked, no more Plugra at Foggy Bottom. Other stores? Manager (Skipper?) looked up the brand (listed as President's) and saw no signs of it's being discontinued. Made a special trip for some to use in baking last weekend. Settled for unsalted Kerry Gold (? the Irish stuff) which is more expensive and a different kettle of fish. Turns out the latter is cultured, so delicious softened, mixed w fleur de sel and herbs as a spread, topping for steamed new potatoes, fish...

Don't throw out TJ's stuff that you don't like. Take it back to the store, tell them that you didn't like it or that it tasted off and they will refund your money.

In the continuing saga of TJ's discontinuation of inventory that got you hooked...
Had this happen with two items this weekend (both of which I was really counting on for things I planned to make).

1) the mini toasts that used to be found in the cracker section, packaged in a small flat block - 'may be reintroduced as a new item'

2) the 'mingling olives' - assorted black/green olives of varying types - 'out of stock due to a slow season'

At least they can usually give you a reason or when they might have the product back in stock. It is frustrating though when they are items you have been seeing/using for years!

So I bought a package of frozen buffalo burgers the other day. They say 'cook from frozen', and yet they are packaged in twos, with paper in between. I had to thaw them out to cook them. They were decent-tasting, not great, but whomever designed that packaging was, uhh, missing something upstairs.

Yeah, I got the same surprise with the Angus Burgers that came in a pack of four. I grilled two of them from frozen together, paper and all (which came off easy enough, after I flipped them a few times).

The second set of two frozen-together burgers was grilled Monday evening, and I thawed them this time...only to narrowly miss dropping one on the lawn when the thawed patty came apart in my hand while transferring it to the grille. I reformed it with my hands into a burger shape, and grilled it alongside the one that I very carefully transferred to the grille. I guess this is why they advise to cook from a frozen state.