Trader Joe's, 16 Area Locations

Had this happen with two items this weekend (both of which I was really counting on for things I planned to make).

1) the mini toasts that used to be found in the cracker section, packaged in a small flat block - 'may be reintroduced as a new item'

I thought I saw those last week when I was in the Fairfax location. I'll check next time to make sure. I really like the mini toasts!

$8 for Rao's.

Doesn't Whole Foods charge $10 for Rao's? They used to. A couple of weeks ago Rodman's had a huge lot of Rao's sauce for $4 a jar. I had never tried Rao's sauces because they're so fantastically expensive, but I bought one of these $4 jars, and it was pretty good. Not worth $10 or even $8, and probably not even $4, but pretty good.

They've been out of my latest favorite--almonds coated with dark chocolate, turbinado sugar and sea salt. :(

Zora, those almonds sound heavenly. I hope they get them bak in stock soon. Meanwhile, I'm obsessed with just about anything that combines chocolate and sea salt. I just picked up a bunch of Lindt "dark chocolate w/ a hint of sea salt" barss at World Market.

They've been out of my latest favorite--almonds coated with dark chocolate, turbinado sugar and sea salt.

Found them today at the Bethesda store! :(

Zora, I stopped by the TJ's in the West End and picked up your favorite to try. The almonds are delicious! I also got a bag of Organic popcorn w/ olive oil.

Zora, those almonds sound heavenly. I hope they get them bak in stock soon. Meanwhile, I'm obsessed with just about anything that combines chocolate and sea salt. I just picked up a bunch of Lindt "dark chocolate w/ a hint of sea salt" barss at World Market.

article-1173803-04B01512000005DC-602_468x354.jpg

I don't have much of a sweet tooth, but I am now beginning to feel like Sybil Fawlty at bedtime, raging through a box of sea salt caramels from Trader Joe's. (Soft buttery caramel enrobed in Belgian dark chocolate and topped with big chunks of salt from the Dead Sea.) BASIL!!

I don't have much of a sweet tooth, but I am now beginning to feel like Sybil Fawlty at bedtime, raging through a box of sea salt caramels from Trader Joe's. (Soft buttery caramel enrobed in Belgian dark chocolate and topped with big chunks of salt from the Dead Sea.) BASIL!!

OMG. They're back.

OMG. They're back.

Where, Banco? I just made a late-night run to the tiny store out in Silver Spring for staples w the fact that Whole Foods has its naked fdsc's in mind, hoping TJ would now have its version. Got psyched when I saw the holiday shelves. Left w a small packet of those soft German iced ginger cookies (nicely fruity, but not gingery--last ingredient is "artificial flavoring") and a bar of Valrhona instead.

Captain assured me she's a big fan, too, and she'd stock them. Checked the computer to make sure they were available this year. Said the store was rearranging all the goodies above the cases of frozen foods that evening and making room to integrate all the new end-of-year things coming in.

Where, Banco? I just made a late-night run to the tiny store out in Silver Spring for staples w the fact that Whole Foods has its naked fdsc's in mind, hoping TJ would now have its version. Got psyched when I saw the holiday shelves. Left w a small packet of those soft German iced ginger cookies (nicely fruity, but not gingery--last ingredient is "artificial flavoring") and a bar of Valrhona instead.

Captain assured me she's a big fan, too, and she'd stock them. Checked the computer to make sure they were available this year. Said the store was rearranging all the goodies above the cases of frozen foods that evening and making room to integrate all the new end-of-year things coming in.

I got the sea-salt crusted chocolate caramels at the Alexandria store.

Try not to get too attached. TJ's has an unfortunate habit of discontinuing perfectly good products.

Like the Scandinavian Blend coffee I have grown fond of in the last few months :( I was told they were discontinuing some of the coffees to make room for "better" coffees. (Not sure what that says about my tastes!)

I did notice that they now have Kona coffee for around $20. (all at the Old Town Alexandria store).

and Candy Cane Joe Joe's are back in stock! Yippee!

I got the sea-salt crusted chocolate caramels at the Alexandria store.

This morning, the mgr. at the Foggy Bottom store said he thought they'd be in around Thanksgiving--he wasn't wure if it would be before or after. I'm confused by this--don't all the stores on the East coast get supplied from the same place--in Massachusetts?

I recall being a bit disappointed when I finally got my hands on these fds caramels last year because I expected at least French-style caramels coated in chocolate. Instead of the soft, opaque, melting sort of creamy confection from Normandy, these were clear and oozy--like the centers found in Gump's box--and the chocolate was thickly applied.

While I'm a bit suspicious of some of the ingredients listed on the French fds caramels now at Whole Foods, the price isn't bad and it might be a better idea to take the matter into one's own hands: melt and temper a really good dark chocolate bar (Valrhona from TJ's or one of its huge Belgian bars) and coat the ones from WFM. Sprinkle a little more fds on top while they're hardening...

I recall being a bit disappointed when I finally got my hands on these fds caramels last year because I expected at least French-style caramels coated in chocolate. Instead of the soft, opaque, melting sort of creamy confection from Normandy, these were clear and oozy--like the centers found in Gump's box--and the chocolate was thickly applied.

While I'm a bit suspicious of some of the ingredients listed on the French fds caramels now at Whole Foods, the price isn't bad and it might be a better idea to take the matter into one's own hands: melt and temper a really good dark chocolate bar (Valrhona from TJ's or one of its huge Belgian bars) and coat the ones from WFM. Sprinkle a little more fds on top while they're hardening...

The ones I mentioned up-thread are not fleur de sel caramels, but sea salt caramels. They're topped with big chunks of salt. The chunks are so big you can see the cleavage of the Halite. Oh, baby.

Anna, I've bought a few boxes of the fds caramels at Whole Foods and have been enjoying them. IMHO, they could be a bit saltier. Besides the Guerande sea salt, I didn't pay close attention to the ingredients...In any case, I don't know how it would work to try and coat them with chocolate. They seem to be on the very soft side--not as substantial as the chocolate-covered fds caramels I'm used to. Dean & DeLuca used to carry my all-time favorite chocolate-covered fds caramels here in the U.S. (very substantial and chewy with just the right amount of salt and butter). Now they only have the softer ones, which I don't like as much. I've heard that Artisan Confections (the place that just moved in Arlington) has good ones, but haven't tried them as of yet. I have, however, tried ACKC's chocolate-covered fds caramels, and they were magnifique! Have yet to try TJ's, which I hope to do soon!

Thanks for the tip -- picked up some ths afternoon. I really like how minty these are. They also had a version coverd in chocolate and crushed candy cane but I thought that migh be a bit much.

Ohhhh my husband really loves the chocolate-covered ones. But I think I need to ration (read: not buying them til after Thanksgiving). :(

I'm going through a slight obsessive phase with TJ's Kosher Dill Bread and Butter pickle coins. I'm sure they contain an unreal amount of sugar (I can't bring myself to look), but I've allowed myself to think they're a reasonably healthy food to have around to snack on while working unreasonable hours.

I'm considering buying a case of TJ's Pumpkin Pancake and Waffle mix. I know, I know. Pancake and waffle mix is evil, and the batter is easy to make from scratch. Tell that to my three-year old at 6:30 in the morning when he pulls out his step-stool to help me mix up the batter for pumpkin pancakes. He's got the recipe memorized: one cup of mix, 3/4 cup of milk, 2 tablespoons of butter, and an egg. Recommended to all DR toddler parents (or anybody else for that matter).

I'm considering buying a case of TJ's Pumpkin Pancake and Waffle mix. I know, I know. Pancake and waffle mix is evil, and the batter is easy to make from scratch. Tell that to my three-year old at 6:30 in the morning when he pulls out his step-stool to help me mix up the batter for pumpkin pancakes. He's got the recipe memorized: one cup of mix, 3/4 cup of milk, 2 tablespoons of butter, and an egg. Recommended to all DR toddler parents (or anybody else for that matter).

Hey, prof--don't beat yourself up. those of us who are parents completely understand that sometimes you do what you gotta do. At least you can feel good about the fact that Trader Joe's mixes and prepared foods are made from good quality ingredients, without evil chemical preservatives or artificial colors. If you find one that also tastes good, celebrate.

The ones I mentioned up-thread are not fleur de sel caramels, but sea salt caramels. They're topped with big chunks of salt. The chunks are so big you can see the cleavage of the Halite. Oh, baby.

I don't know if it's me or if the coconut oil they use is that strong. But I've been getting a hint of coconut when I've been trying these, which is fine by me. Just wondering if anyone noticed the same thing.

I don't know if it's me or if the coconut oil they use is that strong. But I've been getting a hint of coconut when I've been trying these, which is fine by me. Just wondering if anyone noticed the same thing.

I bought my first box of the season yesterday and have had two so far. I didn't get any hint of coconut. I am vehemently anti-coconut and pretty sensitive to the taste. Maybe you got an off batch?

Perhaps I should go eat another one just to make sure...

100% Cranberry (juice) Not from Concentrate - UNDRINKABLE. So searingly tart and acidic, nothing could fix it. I dumped half the jar out, added 6 Splenda and filled with water - still totally horrible.

Next time, try:

50% tonic water (or 50% seltzer water with mint leaves)

or

50% apple juice

or

added to hot mulled cider, with a wand o'honey

or

as a part of a "marinade" for citrus fruit or apples that then make their way into sangria, muddled drinks, etc.

Solo cranberry juice is the liquid equivalent of pickles. Never meant to be served alone.

But for health and flavor benefits, well worth the hassle.

Next time, try:

50% tonic water (or 50% seltzer water with mint leaves)

or

50% apple juice

or

added to hot mulled cider, with a wand o'honey

or

as a part of a "marinade" for citrus fruit or apples that then make their way into sangria, muddled drinks, etc.

Solo cranberry juice is the liquid equivalent of pickles. Never meant to be served alone.

But for health and flavor benefits, well worth the hassle.

I was mixing it with vodka. Even a splash plus water was too much. :(

Definitely a hint of coconut, though it varies for me from piece to piece. Frankly, I'd prefer no coconut flavor but it is fairly mild.

Not so surprising, considering it's the 4th ingredient after chocolate, sticky toffee caramel and condensed milk. Higher on the list than even the sea salt.

No more chocolate-covered caramels with sea salt anywhere. Can't be ordered, so the item is sold out for the holidays already in this region.

No pecans in any TJ either.

I bought a few boxes at the downtown TJ's last weekend. However, I was disappointed. IMHO, the caramels aren't chewy or thick enough. I also don't like the dead sea salt on top or even the chocolate. I much prefer fleur de sel caramels. I really do like TJ's round box of fleur de sel caramels (not covered in chocolate, I know). Most recently, the best fleur de sel caramels I've had are the individually wrapped ones in the big jar at Dean & DeLuca. To me, they have the right balance of salt, butter, and chewiness.

Has anyone tried the jumbo Korean Shingo pears from TJ's? I was tempted to pick up a package the other day, but hesitated...Was also wondering where else I might find them...Thanks in advance.

I picked up a package last weekend. They were delicious--crunchy, sweet, and incredibly juicy!

EDIT: Warning: Those HUGE Korean Shingo pears seem to be highly addictive...

I just bought some a few days ago at Foggy Bottom. There were stacks of them at the time. I hope I can get more! Aaak!

Sounds as if my very small, local store missed out on the item.

I searched the candies' former locations in the Foggy Bottom store yesterday and came up empty-handed. I was about to give up, when I found yet another shelf displaying various holiday treats with about ten boxes of the sea salt chocolate-covered nubbins, inconspicuously stacked among them. O JOY! I had been rationing my intake by buying one box at time. Well, forget that. I bought four boxes. Mustn't be TOO greedy, after all. :angry: