I'm not particularly proud of this, but I have been there, numerous times.  Cookout in North Carolina"¦In-n-Out in California"¦Whataburger in Texas.  

And I was there last October ... In-n-Out in California. That's why it resonated with me so much.

For that matter, the Sonic on the way to Bethany Beach.

• Like 1

I know it's The Onion, but...there *are* no Carl's Jr. in Virginia Beach.  There are *Hardee's*, which are supposed to be the same thing but *aren't* because the customer base for Carl's Jr. have more and better options available to them.  Hardee's, however, are checkered all over the South and are almost all universally shitty because people only eat there for the collectible NASCAR commemorative cups.  When my family lived in Virginia Beach and I still hadn't yet turned ten I had one within a ten minute bike ride's distance and *still* never went.

I mean, when you can't rely on a fake news website to do simple fact checking, you really know the world's going to hell.

• Like 1

When is the last time a successful (say, 100 outlets) fast-food restaurant opened? Not quick-serve, but fast-food?

Sonic Drive-In became a corporate chain in 1990, but they'd been in business well before that.  Chipotle in 1993 would be my guess.

Also, seeing as checking grubgrade.com is one of my weekly guilty pleasures (they eat, then review, shitty food so ~you~ don't have to), I've taken to calling all fast food 'grub.'  It's a useful pejorative term because you stop thinking of it as *food* so much as just something that fills a void.

Chipotle is quick serve/fast casual.

I would say Five Guys. They might consider themselves a higher brow brand, but to me they are fast food.

Does Five Guys cook to order, or do they have things ready to go? If the latter, I'd say they're fast food also. Some of these places say they cook to order, but if you look, they have patties sitting on the side of the grill, already cooked. Either way, I'd say the "well-done only" rule is a screaming red alert in terms of crossing the (ever-fuzzier) line between quick-serve and fast-food.

Forgetting quality (or lack thereof), think about what a financial and socio-economic achievement this - essentially taking on McDonald's. It's also amazing that people still mentally equate Five Guys with the two little restaurants they had on Glebe Road and King Street back in the 1980s (admit it readers: You do!)

Five Guys does get lumped in to the fast casual category by various publications but is their burger patty cooking any different than Wendy's who also claim to "cook to order"? No clue, I haven't eaten at either in years. To me they are slinging burgers and have hundreds of outlets, it's fast food.

Does Five Guys cook to order, or do they have things ready to go?

The Five Guys closest to me (which is new and never really busy) definitely cooks to order. Cashier announces how many patties for the flat-top and they go on. And the wait is about ten minutes - right around when you'd expect a med-well burger to be done.

• Like 1

A new Red Robin Burger Works location just opened on 19th St downtown (near L) where the BoLoCo used to be. That's certainly a chain, and a division of the Red Robin full service restaurant. Not sure whether they "cook to order" or not.

Honestly, looking at their website, the burgers don't attract my attention so much as the *breakfast* options do, which aren't stupidly priced and evidently are only available at locations in Chicago, Denver, and the L'Enfant Plaza location here in DC.

The burrito listed for $3.99 sounds like something Taco Bell would charge five bucks for.

I know you posted this in jest but I absolutely do this when I travel.  I have no problems admitting that I ate in fast food restaurants throughout Europe.  It is a way to explore culture when you are on a tight budget and craving some fries.  I have bribed students with the promise of Starbucks if they would just shut up and listen to yet another tour guide.  McDonalds in Switzerland, where the meat is actually meat, is fantastic albeit expensive at about $15 for their version of a medium fry, cheeseburger royal, and a soda.

• Like 1

Try living on a European military base where the only chain fast food restaurant was a hole-in-the-wall Wendy's you had to take a bus to get to since it was on a separate part of the base.

...then cringe when you realize that the Commanding Officer of that base had the place closed down because he found maggots in his burger.

I *merrily* ate at McDonald's whenever we took trips to bigger cities.  I had to get my 'fix.'

• Like 1

On 1/16/2014 at 7:25 AM, Destruya said:

I know it's The Onion, but...there *are* no Carl's Jr. in Virginia Beach.  There are *Hardee's*, which are supposed to be the same thing but *aren't* because the customer base for Carl's Jr. have more and better options available to them.  Hardee's, however, are checkered all over the South and are almost all universally shitty because people only eat there for the collectible NASCAR commemorative cups.  When my family lived in Virginia Beach and I still hadn't yet turned ten I had one within a ten minute bike ride's distance and *still* never went.

I mean, when you can't rely on a fake news website to do simple fact checking, you really know the world's going to hell.

Destruya, you were prescient and before your time. :)

On 4/5/2015 at 9:21 PM, DonRocks said:

Does Five Guys cook to order, or do they have things ready to go? If the latter, I'd say they're fast food also. Some of these places say they cook to order, but if you look, they have patties sitting on the side of the grill, already cooked.

What does Barry Gibb have in common with a pirate?

Bee Gee. Rrrrrrrrrrrr.

😉

The Five Guys near my hotel in Seville last week was open until 1 AM on weeknights, 2 AM on weekends. A Granada location appears to be coming soon. The Taco Bell near the center of Seville looked nice from the outside.

The pringa and the churrasco at Bodega Santa Cruz were pretty good. Standing at the bar I guess that counts as fast food too.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, alexandria1 said:

The Five Guys near my hotel in Seville last week was open until 1 AM on weeknights, 2 AM on weekends. A Granada location appears to be coming soon. The Taco Bell near the center of Seville looked nice from the outside.

The pringa and the churrasco at Bodega Santa Cruz were pretty good. Standing at the bar I guess that counts as fast food too.

First time I went to Europe (three-week backpack in 1989), I ate at the Nice, France McDonald’s two consecutive meals.

”Royale with Cheese”
(- John Travolta in “Pulp Fiction”)

I remember getting strawberry milkshakes at the Norwich (UK) McDonald's when I had strep throat ca 1983. I knew they were good for sore throats and I was far away from home with a brutal sore throat. It's the only time I've been to a McD's overseas.

On 4/19/2024 at 10:47 PM, Pat said:

I remember getting strawberry milkshakes at the Norwich (UK) McDonald's when I had strep throat ca 1983. I knew they were good for sore throats and I was far away from home with a brutal sore throat. It's the only time I've been to a McD's overseas.

My daughter swears by the chicken tenders in McDonalds in Europe vs. the US.  We had to eat in an airport McDonalds in Frankfurt after a late arrival last year and I honestly couldn't tell the difference between the US ones and this one except for the apple pie, which was the old-fashioned way.  On the other hand, we order Five Guys far more often in London than we ever did in DC.  Simply the best burger we can get.

On 4/20/2024 at 1:04 PM, DonRocks said:

Do tell!

They're not made the way they used to be so it's probably moot. Looking at the website, they have whipped cream on top now and actual ice cream. I'm not sure how much dairy they included before (vs. soy or something) but they used to be great for coating a sore throat.

• Like 1

I ate at the (only) McDonald's in Beijing when I studied in China in 1993. At the time (this may still be true; I'm not sure) it was the biggest McDonald's in the world. It had just opened the year before. I don't remember much about the food, but I do remember it was packed with mostly Chinese people (not many foreigners in China in 1993, even in Beijing). I didn't go for the food (I rarely ate at McDonald's at home and wasn't missing American food too much at that point) but more for the kitsch factor. I only went that one time.

I think that was the only McDonald's in China at the time, but I remember seeing LOTS of KFCs throughout the country (don't think I ever ate at one). They also had Pizza Hut.

As for eating fast food on vacation, our first stop after the airport on West Coast trips is In-N-Out if we can swing it.