"How-To" Guide for using dr.com

hillvalley

Who's volunteering to write a How To Guide for donrockwell.com?

legant-copy the url of the page you want to link to. Then, when you come to where you want to insert the link hit the little earth symbol with an oval at the bottom that is right above. It will lead you to paste the link and then type what you wanted to say.

Who's volunteering to write a How To Guide for donrockwell.com?

legant-copy the url of the page you want to link to. Then, when you come to where you want to insert the link hit the little earth symbol with an oval at the bottom that is right above. It will lead you to paste the link and then type what you wanted to say.

There is one right here.

I do it a little differently. I type the word I want hypertext linked into the reply field, highlight it, then hit the "insert link" button. Then I paste the url into the dialog box that pops up.

I'd volunteer to do a "how to" guide, but I don't know how to use half of the features.

given that this is a semi-technical thread I thought i'd ask a question that has been bugging me for a while

does anyone else have trouble using dr.com with safari (apples internet browser)

it routinely crashes when I am on DR but no other site.....just curious

I do it a little differently. I type the word I want hypertext linked into the reply field, highlight it, then hit the "insert link" button. Then I paste the url into the dialog box that pops up.

I'd volunteer to do a "how to" guide, but I don't know how to use half of the features.

That's the only way you can do it in Firefox (a Mac browser) :)

Should we make this a group effort? JG-do you want to write up what you know how to do? Other people can take on other parts?

given that this is a semi-technical thread I thought i'd ask a question that has been bugging me for a while

does anyone else have trouble using dr.com with safari (apples internet browser)

I use Safari on a few different computers and don't have a problem :)

Yes, dr.com makes Safari crash all the time. I use Firefox, but if I want to cut and paste it doesn't work.

ETA: Safari 2.0.4, iBook G4

How to switch your DonRockwell.com Thyme to Daylight Savings Time:

1. First you have to care enough. Who cares? "God damn these clocks," she sighs.

2. Click on My Controls at the top right. Once in your control panel, see a laundry list of choices in the left margin. Close to the bottom find "Board Settings" (under the 'Options' heading) and click on it with all your might.

3. At the top of the page, see "Your base time zone". From the pull down menu, select GMT- 6:00 hours (Central Time).

PS: How come even though my little DST Correction box has always been checked, the software didn't automatically switch to DST today? Those bastards!!

Auto correct DST?

(If selected, your DST setting is automatically adjusted when you next load the board index)

PS: How come even though my little DST Correction box has always been checked, the software didn't automatically switch to DST today? Those bastards!!

Auto correct DST?

(If selected, your DST setting is automatically adjusted when you next load the board index)

Despite what the box says, it doesn't appear to adjust it the *first* time you load the board index. When I hit my browser's "reload" button though, the stars aligned, there was a brief disturbance in the Force, and the times were corrected. *whew*

I'm having problems at times with the site. Sometimes it works the way it's supposed to, and sometimes when I try to pull up "View New Posts" or click on the yellow square next to a thread to view the unread posts, I get nothing. At those times, all I can do is click on the last page of the topic and scroll down.

I don't know if it's the site or my computer. If it were my computer, wouldn't it misbehave all the time? I don't seem to have this problem on the rare occasion when I'm looking at the site at work. :)

I'm having problems at times with the site. Sometimes it works the way it's supposed to, and sometimes when I try to pull up "View New Posts" or click on the yellow square next to a thread to view the unread posts, I get nothing. At those times, all I can do is click on the last page of the topic and scroll down.

I don't know if it's the site or my computer. If it were my computer, wouldn't it misbehave all the time? I don't seem to have this problem on the rare occasion when I'm looking at the site at work. :)

I believe that this is a problem with the site as I have this problem from time to time on different machines.

Triple spacing avoidance needs to get a section of its own. :) Personally I would add one on quoting etiquette - it's not necessary to quote an entire, multi-paragraph posting to say "yeah, I really enjoyed the calimari too."

And we need a section when Don deletes posts. I call this being Donb Downed. We can also add that posts can be split, combined, taken apart and well, I am not sure about changed.

I would like the first post on every resturant contain website information, phone numbers and mapquest links. This would really be helpful as a reference to come back to. Currently i use Don's guide

I don't expect the threads to be an exhaustive reference; honestly, if I want to know the address of a restaurant I'm going to Google it rather than trying to whack Invision's search function over the head to get what I want from any given thread.

Now, Google might return the DR thread as its first reference, but at least I get to exactly where I want to be rather than having to wade through Invision's sorry excuse for search results. :)

As far as additional content for the guide, it would be nice if people would remember the "Preview Post" button exists, particularly if they're using nested or multiple quotes - it shows you what your post is going to look like once it's posted, which means you don't have to guess whether the tags are in the right place or not. It also makes it easier to edit for spelling, content and triple-spacing.

I would like the first post on every resturant contain website information, phone numbers and mapquest links. This would really be helpful as a reference to come back to. Currently i use Don's guide

The LTH forum, Chicago's version of DonRockwell, strongly encourages this practice with a restaurant's initial mention in a thread as well. I think it definitely helps, especially with the new places out in the burbs.

Thank goodness! I thought I was the only one! It crashes on my home Mac but not my work Mac. Go figure.
copy the url of the page you want to link to.
Just to clarify: I was asking specifically how to redirect to a DR.com post. What I've learned: every DR.com topic has a unique URL. What I didn't know: the link function works with URLs out, as well as in, DR.com

Me too for Safari crashing all the time!!

(I'm also happy to know that I'm not the only one. My response is to gently and slowly type back into dr.com. I figure if I can softly enter the site, I won't get kicked off -- shows how computer savvy I am! And now I will retreat in shame and leave this thread to the professionals.)

Is there a problem with the website right now? The latest post in the restaurant section appears to be from last night at 8:30, but when I click on the link, there is a different thread at the top. Also, this thread keeps showing that icon that indicates there is a new post, but it's the same ol' same ol'.

wtf?

Crackers has bravely volunteers to write a section on how to post pictures (is that the right one crackers?). Who is taking on other sections?

This won't happen without you and your willingness to waste I mean spend valuable time writing what will be the best user's guide on the Internet.

Crackers has bravely volunteers to write a section on how to post pictures (is that the right one crackers?).
I'll take a stab at it, at least for Windows users, as I don't know anything about Macs (or even if the differences matter). But I need some beta testers for my step-by-step instructions. Any volunteers who have wanted to learn how to post photos into their posts? PM me if you're shy.

WoooHooo-fancy new changes on the board....Anyone figure out what the My Friends button is for?

If you roll your cursor over someone's ID, you can choose to "add to my friends" from the pick list. Clicking the "My Friends" link gets you a pop-up window with all of your friends.

But seriously, though, this isn't myspace.

If people find the friend functionality useful, fine. But if people decide not to use it, please don't misinterpret it :P .

Also, a minor bug--on the login screen, if I tab to "Submit" after entering my username and password ("iamthestretch") and hit <SPACE> to submit, it adds an extra space to the password, rendering it incorrect.