Coat of Arms, Van Ness - Was to Replace Riedel's, but Never Opened on Connecticut Avenue in Van Ness - Chivalry is Dead

The main signage is up listing the name "Coat of Arms" with subtext of "Spareribs Steaks Soups Salads Seafood"

They forgot to add "Sucks." Kidding, kidding.

Incidentally, I ran into Doug Riedel about a month ago - he's working part time at The Vineyard, Jim Arsenault's fine little wine store in McLean.

There are hints of something going on in the shuttered Riedel's space. Anyone have details?

Looks like the new place is open, noticed a server cleaning the windows yesterday on my way to work. There's a not so subtle full suit of armor to greet guests as they arrive...

You didn't notice the suit of armor and neon sign? :P Well, most people didn't seem to. I only saw one table occupied - if any were - each time I passed by. I wasn't exaggerating when I said I'd be shocked if they had served twenty paying customers during their brief tenure.

My obsession continues. Coat of Arms (under new management) still had not opened. AND the front door still has text saying "Indian Ocean."

Did you notice: the cardboard sign -- announcing new management -- had fallen from it's perch. I don't think it's going to happen.

There are signs of life at Coat of Arms/Indian Ocean. The curtains have been moved and linen-covered tables are visible in the window. Can anyone confirm?

FYI... from a January 2007 connave.com blog entry:

In what may be one of the fastest company turnarounds in Connecticut Avenue history, the Coat of Arms restaurant in Van Ness was bought out before it even opened. The Coat of Arms owner told me that a few days before the place was due to open, someone stopped by, took a look at the decor, and, "made an offer I couldn't refuse." That was in early December.

Scooter said:
I actually saw a cleaning crew in there yesterday, looks like they're moving forward with "Indian Ocean"

Hold the presses! Front door was ajar.

Perhaps they were trying to air out the stench of failure.

On the surface this location should be a good one for a restaurant, maybe just not an upscale BBQ joint or another Indian place (not that Delhi Dhaba is all that, but two in one block may be overkill). I don't buy that it is because of UDC; people attending school there need good, cheap non-fast food places to eat, too. With the residential density of that stretch of Conn Ave north of Van Ness you would figure that somebody would be able to piece something worthwhile together that could make a convenient alternative to the Cleveland Park restaurant nexus.

TedE said:
On the surface this location should be a good one for a restaurant, maybe just not an upscale BBQ joint or another Indian place (not that Delhi Dhaba is all that, but two in one block may be overkill).

As the local geography Nazi, I must point out that not only are the "Coat of Arms" and Delhi Dhaba not on the same block, they're not even on adjacent blocks.

As the local geography Nazi, I must point out that not only are the "Coat of Arms" and Delhi Dhaba not on the same block, they're not even on adjacent blocks.

Oh, OK, two blocks. Can you walk from one to the other in about 3-4 minutes? Yup. I have no time for your geographical pedantics ;)

DonRocks said:
[Would anyone here mind if I said that this thread is one of the most blatant wastes of time in the history of the internet?]

I don't know, it's starting to get interesting with the discussion of how many blocks away it actually is from Delhi Dhaba.

"Front door was ajar"... that was good stuff too.

legant said:
Hold the presses! Front door was ajar.

The existential angst, metaphorical references to pre-orgasmic tension waiting for release ... great stuff!

Will Eddie the Eel find Debbie the Doughnut? (food reference) Stay tuned.

Heather said:
I will be on the edge of my seat until the 2 blocks vs. 3 three blocks issue is resolved.

Ahem, two blocks.

One does not count the block one starts from when calculating blocks traveled. IMHO city blocks are calculated by street crossings. It's a technicality, but I don't count Yuma in this instance since the most direct route does not actually cross that street. However, I'll concede that point pending confirmation that the address numbering supports Yuma as a block divider on the east side of Conn Ave. Let's hope we can put this important matter to rest and go on discussing the other thrilling developments at Coat of Arms. Any new window signage today?

TedE said:
One does not count the block one starts from when calculating blocks traveled. IMHO city blocks are calculated by street crossings. It's a technicality, but I don't count Yuma in this instance since the most direct route does not actually cross that street. However, I'll concede that point pending confirmation that the address numbering supports Yuma as a block divider on the east side of Conn Ave. Let's hope we can put this important matter to rest and go on discussing the other thrilling developments at Coat of Arms. Any new window signage today?

This subject is fascinating, isn't it? When I said three blocks, I wasn't trying to imply that Delhi Dhaba is three blocks from the other place. The original remark was that they were on the same block. You, the remarker, then amended it to "two blocks", which I took to mean they're in the same two-block stretch, which they're not. They're in the same three-block stretch, or, if you take Yuma Street (only on the opposite side of the avenue) into account, four-block stretch. The street-numbering scheme offers, at this point, no clear answer, as the entire strip that has Pier 1, south of Yuma, and Delhi Dhaba, north of Yuma, has a single address, 4455 Connecticut. I can't think of what is north of Delhi Dhaba and south of Albemarle on that side of the street, in order to look up its address. This clearly calls for further research. There may be an urban-studies dissertation in this!

Wiki-wiki. In New York City blocks it is either 5 Short Blocks or 2.5 Long Blocks.

Since the spacing of streets in grid plans varies so widely among cities, or even within cities, it is impossible to generalize about the size of a city block. However, as reference points, the standard block in Manhattan is about 264 feet by 900 feet (about 80 meters by 271 meters), or slightly over five acres (two hectares); and in some U.S. cities standard blocks are as wide as 1/8 mile (660 feet or approximately 200 meters), or 10 acres (about 4 hectares) if square.