Breakfast - The Early-Morning, Polyphonic Food Blog

txaggie

Made the Jersey Egg McMuffin - Taylor Pork roll and poached eggs on a kaiser roll for two on the balcony. Love the pig, so many options for breakfast.

Can somebody fill me in on Taylor Pork Roll? I've often wondered what the heck it is, and I've never quite gotten up the nerve to just buy one and try it. Should I, and why?

Can somebody fill me in on Taylor Pork Roll? I've often wondered what the heck it is, and I've never quite gotten up the nerve to just buy one and try it. Should I, and why?

Hart to explain. I'd give it a shot. It's porky and salty. I take it, make cuts in the edges so it doesn't curl up and fry it until slightly brown. Basically it's like any other processed breakfast pork product but it has some lactic acid in it which gives it a very subtle tang.

When I was introduced to this product in the late 60's, New Yorkers I knew referred to it as "Taylor ham." It was a very popular sandwich lunch meat--essentially, it is a soft "cooked salami" made of coarsely ground pork that has no garlic in it, and is very smoky tasting. In New York and New England, it was sold sliced to order in delis, like bologna or salami, and also was available at grocery stores sliced in packages, similar to packages of ham and turkey, for sandwich making. I don't recall seeing it sold like that around here. J and I ate a lot of it when we lived in Vermont.

a piece of kalamata olive bread from Atwater's Bakery (Foggy Bottom FM yesterday) w/ cream cheese

Greek yogurt w/ blueberries

cranberry juice

Earl grey tea w/ Belgian brown sugar cubes and a spot of milk

A chocolate dipped macaroon from Dean & De Luca

I'm stuffed!

It's time.

While water boils, a small glass of grapefruit juice since melons aren't good anymore and you can't find a decent grapefruit yet.

Scoop half a cup of oatmeal into a pot.

Coffee ready to press? Pour the water that heated up your mug into the pan.

By the time you've finished your coffee, flakes are puffy and soft. Hardly any time needed to finish cooking.

Break tart, dried apple rings from Black Rock Orchard into your bowl.

Dried cranberries & yellow raisins. Powdered cinnamon.

Fold in cereal. Milk.

Open the window to the world still green, only not completely.

I ate out, breakfast at 2:00 in the afternoon, sitting outside in this beautiful weather. Brioche french toast (a little undercooked in the middle)with giant blackberries. As an aside, if you're ever in the mood for a giant heap of super crispy bacon Metro 29 Diner on route 29 and Glebe has the best (their other items are okay)-if you like your meat-candy to actually be crunchy like brittle, ask for it well done. I am willing to fight my way through nasty weekend Georgetown traffic to cross the Key Bridge at least once a month for my fix.

So good, even lifelong vegetarians are willing to partake of the pig.

yesterday I went to silver diner. Order biscuit and sausage gravy. I knew it wouldn't be great but I really miss the stuff. And true to my prediction, very mediocre. Where can I find decent biscuit and sausage gravy in this town?

They actually had it at the Van Ness Giant. I happened to be in there last night and my eye was caught by the famous (at least in my parents house) little red box :(

Thank you!

Today, Mr. MV and I had "second breakfast" after visiting the Alexandria farmers market. We stopped at the Bestway on Telegraph Rd. (just off the beltway exit) to get chicken parts for soup (what a day to make soup!). There is a food truck in the parking lot that has become a regular presence-and of course, they serve up wonderful Latino foods.

Coudn't pass it up.

Fresh, soft tacos held spicy ground beef, garnished with salsa verde, fresh cilantro. Three tacos for $6.

This truck is a gem. We've had their papusas and carne asada before, and both were delicious.

Polenta (Bob's Red Mill) with lightly sauteed "spicy" mustard greens (CSA) and gently fried egg (Country Hen).

Well, almost gently. Please ignore the lacing and be assured that no yolks were harmed in the making of this breakfast.

Wow, that's a gorgeous photo!

It's my wife's birthday! I got up early and made:

My home cured maple bacon

Chocolate chocolate chip pancakes with real cinnamon (none of that cassia crap)

Goat butter and real maple syrup

Whole goat milk

That's so sweet and delicious. Did you factor in a food coma afterward? :(

I'm assuming that you made the goat butter? How does it compare to regular butter?

That's so sweet and delicious. Did you factor in a food coma afterward? :(

I'm assuming that you made the goat butter? How does it compare to regular butter?

Everything in moderation. :P

Actually, the goat butter was purchased (Wegman's)... but now I feel a project coming on!

Actually, the goat butter was purchased (Wegman's)... but now I feel a project coming on!

Good luck on that project! One of the qualities that distinguishes goats' milk from cows' milk is that the cream doesn't rise to the top in goat milk--it's naturally homogenized. A cream separator which is a type of centrifuge is needed to make goat cream and thus, goat butter. Now you know why the goat butter was so much more expensive.

Somebody took the last granola bar, but left the empty box in the cupboard :(:P , so I took one of my wife's "Solo Gi Low Glycemic Nutrition Bar, Lemon Lift" and threw it in my lunchbag. Now sitting at work, with coffee in one hand and this bar in the other.

Package says:

24 vitamins and minerals!

11 grams of protein!

Good source of fiber!

Yogurt coated!

Sustained energy!

Feel satisfied longer!

For everyone --- everyday!

They forgot to add: "tastes like ass".

English muffin with a fried egg, taylor ham (a childhood vice), with some aged chedder.

And of course black coffee.

Is Taylor ham different from Taylor Pork Roll? I grew up on Pork Roll and it's generally listed as an available side on the breakfast menus of Philly diners/counters right next to the scrapple.

Is Taylor ham different from Taylor Pork Roll? I grew up on Pork Roll and it's generally listed as an available side on the breakfast menus of Philly diners/counters right next to the scrapple.

They are one and the same. I grew up in Philly and ate Taylor ham in the form of Taystrips (basically T ham shaped like bacon).

They are one and the same. I grew up in Philly and ate Taylor ham in the form of Taystrips (basically T ham shaped like bacon).

Yep, I grew up about 45 minutes north of Philly but my parents are from NYC/NJ and always referred to it as "Taylor Ham" even though "Taylor Pork Roll" is whats on the actual box.

Thick rolled oats cooked with ground cardamom and a whole cinnamon stick, then mixed with a touch of butter and maple syrup.

My Fuzzy Logic Rice Cooker: November centerfold in Breakfast Cereal Magazine.

(ok, so if they can't keep gourmet going, breakfast cereal magazine would never fly)

(but if it did, this zojirushi has some nice curves)

(i think i need more caffeine)

Thick rolled oats cooked with ground cardamom and a whole cinnamon stick, then mixed with a touch of butter and maple syrup.

My Fuzzy Logic Rice Cooker: November centerfold in Breakfast Cereal Magazine.

(ok, so if they can't keep gourmet going, breakfast cereal magazine would never fly)

Actually, according to this Russ Parsons piece yesterday, niche food magazines are the way to go. So, breakfast cereal magazine might fly after all.