Need Recommendations in Bethesda or Silver Spring

porcupine

On an upcoming Wednesday, need about 2 hours in a not-too-loud venue with decent, not challenging, inexpensive food in Bethesda or Silver Spring, starting about 7:30 or 8 pm.

Usual disclaimer: not my constraints. I don't want to be a rude table camper, but my buds are bent on doing this at a restaurant. I'm thinking a red-checked tablecloth Italian place would be perfect, knowing their tastes. (Clue: took one of them to Dino a few months back - think the food was too challenging for him, and price beyond his comfort level.)

Am stumped. Help?

On an upcoming Wednesday, need about 2 hours in a not-too-loud venue with decent, not challenging, inexpensive food in Bethesda or Silver Spring, starting about 7:30 or 8 pm.

Usual disclaimer: not my constraints. I don't want to be a rude table camper, but my buds are bent on doing this at a restaurant. I'm thinking a red-checked tablecloth Italian place would be perfect, knowing their tastes. (Clue: took one of them to Dino a few months back - think the food was too challenging for him, and price beyond his comfort level.)

Am stumped. Help?

Does Ray's The Classics have a private room? Haven't been there yet so I don't know.

Does Ray's The Classics have a private room? Haven't been there yet so I don't know.
(Clue: took one of them to Dino a few months back - think the food was too challenging for him, and price beyond his comfort level.)

If Dino was not price comfortable for him, then RtC will probably not work.

Probably too far west for the locations you mentioned, but Tower Oaks Lodge is pretty unchallenging. I like to think of it as lowest common denominator food (not to be the snob that I am) and it's priced fairly. I don't think they would push you out fast, but I've only been a couple of times.

I think Maggiano's is a good recommendation, as long as Friendship Heights isn't too far into the district for your crowd.

Good luck.

Am stumped. Help?

How about DeCarlo's (I am one of only three, but here's my thoughts...) http://www.donrockwell.com/index.php?showt...l=Spring+Valley

I think Dean's suggestion of Sergio's is the best one. Both Mon Ami Gabi and Jackie's have prices at around the level of RTC, if not greater. Never been to Vicino, but it too would probably fit the bill. Heather wrote it up a while ago. Take a look at what she had to say.

Am stumped. Help?

Have you thought about / tried Louisiana Express in Bethesda. Small, a half block off Arlington Rd @ EuroMotors. Great food and very casual / inexpensive. They are not pushy on turning tables. Also, if you would go up to Rockville, I've always enjoyed Amalfi a bit more than Pines of Rome.

How large is the space at Mia's Pizzas?
Mia's is probably too small to camp out for two hours. They are going to be looking to turn their tables. I took my daughter for pizza and it was very good, but they definitely get crowded. We went on a Thursday night and at 7:00 had a couple of people waiting.

Thanks for all the suggestions, folks. In the end I decided to invite everyone and their wives to my place for a home-cooked meal, since 1. I enjoy entertaining, and 2. we can camp as long as it takes to get the business done.

BTW, I originally decided on Sergios. Did anyone see the little blurb about them in the most recent Washingtonian?