Veritas Wine Bar, DC's First Temperature-Controlled Wine Bar With 70 Wines By The Glass, Dupont Circle - Closed

Anyone know the story with "Veritas", the wine bar moving in next to the Russia House? Signs are up, construction still going on.

This place came up in the Going out gurus chat today.

Erin: Veritas opens to the world this Monday. It's from Joe Englert and Adam Manson and will serve 68 wines by the glass (including some that are rarely available by the glass like Silver Oak). There are dozens of wine flights. You'll find flights grouped by varietal, traits or things like "French blends made in America" and "Adam's number ones" if you're interested in tasting. Food-wise, there are cheeses and charcuterie. The hours when it opens will be approximately 4 p.m. until about 2 a.m. during the week and 3 on weekends.

Here's their website. Their cheese and charcuterie menu also looks interesting.

I don't know that you can pay your rent in DuPont without that kind of profit margin.

Childe Harold, Timberlakes, BdC, Polo India, 5 Guys, Odion, the Mexican place, Zorba's...

Not that I begrudge Joe a little profit, but a reasonable selection of modestly priced glasses would better suggest that he is as interested in the wine as he is in the money.

I want to like this place, but another establisment selling glasses of wine for $12 per I do not need.

I would not normally agree with you about this, however, a quick look at their sparkler selection and I am going to have to. $18 for a glass of Agent Orange, and $14 for a glass flavorless nicolas feuillatte. I would rather have my nuts crushed my an angry Sooners fan than pay that much for that plonk.

I would not normally agree with you about this, however, a quick look at their sparkler selection and I am going to have to. $18 for a glass of Agent Orange, and $14 for a glass flavorless nicolas feuillatte. I would rather have my nuts crushed my an angry Sooners fan than pay that much for that plonk.

And, having been born in Norman, OK, I might have been that fan, had we not found ourselves on the same page. :angry:

You guys are brutal - give them a break. They haven't even opened. There are gonna be early missteps and errors while they try to get their game together, figure out their market, etc. , and I see no reason to be piling it on (pricing complaints and typos??) before they have an opportunity to do so.

Everyone be sure and let me know how the $102 bottle of "domaine joblot '1er cru,' givry-chambertin, burgundy, france" is.

I'll comment more on the wines after this place opens, but I suspect I'll have a few things to say.

Cheers,

Rocks.

The pricing looks similar to other wine lists run by people who have been successful on the business side. That is, if you go for the familiar grapes, you're going to get soaked. Ipso facto, you'll see Kendal Jackson Chardonnay for $9 a glass at Coastal Flats. Have to look to more obscure varietals for the deals.

I would much rather they have a smaller than 64 by the glass selection and make it say 30 really good wines, expensive or not, but make them good, unusual or both. That's worth paying the extra bucks for

You guys are brutal - give them a break. They haven't even opened. There are gonna be early missteps and errors while they try to get their game together, figure out their market, etc. , and I see no reason to be piling it on (pricing complaints and typos??) before they have an opportunity to do so.
They posted the wine list on the site to create buzz, well they are getting buzz, just not the kind they would like. Please tell me why in a city filled with drearily insipid wines by the glass would I care to go somewhere that specializes in them?

They posted the wine list on the site to create buzz, well they are getting buzz, just not the kind they would like. Please tell me why in a city filled with drearily insipid wines by the glass would I care to go somewhere that specializes in them?

I've got my issues with the current posted wine list- everyone will- but would you really suggest that they're "specializing" in "drearily insipid wines?"

Jaffurs Roussane? Ridge Lytton Springs? The very interesting Tablas Creek Cotes de Tablas? Heidi Schrock's Muscat?

While the list looks a bit strange to me right now, there's certainly some interesting stuff here that looks to be chosen with the charcuterie and cheeses in mind. Prices don't look out of control to me either.

I've got my issues with the current posted wine list- everyone will- but would you really suggest that they're "specializing" in "drearily insipid wines?"

Jaffurs Roussane? Ridge Lytton Springs? The very interesting Tablas Creek Cotes de Tablas? Heidi Schrock's Muscat?

I have never found Tablas Creek wins to be the least bit interesting, I have found it more like an over-extracted version of a Rhone blend. Jaffurs Roussane, another pale imitation of wine that can be found far cheaper from Rhone, Lytton Springs great if you like Zin blends, I don't. I would agree that the Muscat is interesting, but not enough to get me to pay a visit.

But also the list lacks any vintages, what vintage of the Berthet-Rayne CDP should I assume they are pouring? The latest vintage? Or maybe they are going to try and pass-off some 2003 as something worth drinking.

But your point that there are some interesting choices is valid, but I would say that out of the 60+ wines by the glass I can count those on one hand.

With all respect, your palate doesn't necessarily translate to the masses. I think Tablas Creek's wines are an excellent entry point for the Chardonnay/Cabernet set to find their way to the Rhone Valley. I drink Rhone Valley wines at least 5 nights a week, but I also think that Tablas Creek's Esprit de Beaucastel and their Roussanne are "interesting" wines, and a far cry from "drearily insipid." Like I said before - give 'em a chance to do well before rushing to trash 'em.

I have never found Tablas Creek wins to be the least bit interesting, I have found it more like an over-extracted version of a Rhone blend. Jaffurs Roussane, another pale imitation of wine that can be found far cheaper from Rhone, Lytton Springs great if you like Zin blends, I don't. I would agree that the Muscat is interesting, but not enough to get me to pay a visit.

But also the list lacks any vintages, what vintage of the Berthet-Rayne CDP should I assume they are pouring? The latest vintage? Or maybe they are going to try and pass-off some 2003 as something worth drinking.

But your point that there are some interesting choices is valid, but I would say that out of the 60+ wines by the glass I can count those on one hand.

With all respect, your palate doesn't necessarily translate to the masses. I think Tablas Creek's wines are an excellent entry point for the Chardonnay/Cabernet set to find their way to the Rhone Valley. I drink Rhone Valley wines at least 5 nights a week, but I also think that Tablas Creek's Esprit de Beaucastel and their Roussanne are "interesting" wines, and a far cry from "drearily insipid." Like I said before - give 'em a chance to do well before rushing to trash 'em.

I wrote that it appears that they specialize in "drearily insipid" not that all of their selections meet that description. But you are also arguing that two wines that are not on the menu do not match this description. The Tablas Creek that is listed on the website is the Cotes de Tablas a wine that I do find to be insipid in that it is monolithically dull. I had already written that I could find a few interesting wines on the list.

I have nothing against the place, but from the thought that they put into the sparkler selection and the total of six French and five Italian still wines does not make me hold out much hope for the quality of wine that are going to be poured.

I'm not gonna debate this further - I suggest we settle this like men. We meet at Veritas after they open and see which one of us can consume more of the 62 offerings before crying uncle. I realize that considering your low opinion of these offerings I have a distinct advantage in this contest, but that's how I roll :angry:

I wrote that it appears that they specialize in "drearily insipid" not that all of their selections meet that description. But you are also arguing that two wines that are not on the menu do not match this description. The Tablas Creek that is listed on the website is the Cotes de Tablas a wine that I do find to be insipid in that it is monolithically dull. I had already written that I could find a few interesting wines on the list.

I have nothing against the place, but from the thought that they put into the sparkler selection and the total of six French and five Italian still wines does not make me hold out much hope for the quality of wine that are going to be poured.

I'm not gonna debate this further - I suggest we settle this like men. We meet at Veritas after they open and see which one of us can consume more of the 62 offerings before crying uncle. I realize that considering your low opinion of these offerings I have a distinct advantage in this contest, but that's how I roll :angry:
As long as you wear a Texas jersey. B)

Then the winelist was different from the one that was posted online?

No - same list. Considering the demographics, I think they did an admirable job of putting together the opening list. Plenty of things I'd love to drink on that list - and a couple of bottle bargains. We had a few tastes and then opened the tikal "patriota," which was just yummy! The management and staff seems to be very focused and on their game and I have no doubt they will adapt to their clientele as need be. Anxious to check out their cheese and charcuterie - we got there too late but the GM of one of DC's most popular restaurants had sampled some before we arrived and told me it was excellent. I think the place will be a big hit.

Great so we know what your palate is in search of, but guess what, your not everyone. Wine lists should be appealing to all levels, whether you're new to wine or you have a ton of experience. I happen to like Rhone varietals coming out of Cali, they show newcomers what's out there, and it forces them to learn where these wines come from and what they can truly be. There are far too many lists these days focusing on only one level of knowledge or another. I commend them for going neutral, and letting people choose what's best for themselves. With wine bars like this and Proof, perhaps someday everyone in DC will know that red Burgundy is Pinot Noir.

Great so we know what your palate is in search of, but guess what, your not everyone. Wine lists should be appealing to all levels, whether you're new to wine or you have a ton of experience. I happen to like Rhone varietals coming out of Cali, they show newcomers what's out there, and it forces them to learn where these wines come from and what they can truly be. There are far too many lists these days focusing on only one level of knowledge or another. I commend them for going neutral, and letting people choose what's best for themselves. With wine bars like this and Proof, perhaps someday everyone in DC will know that red Burgundy is Pinot Noir.

neutrality is great, but creativity and expertice shall lead the pack. perhaps someday...

Hey, dude, wake up. It's a wine bar. No credible wine bar publishes a list of wines with no vintages. Vintages are square one, understand? Vintages of imported wines, especially, are not something you sweep under the table. Rhone varietals coming out of California have absolutely nothing to do with the same varietals from France for many reasons. California viognier versus good Condrieu is a no brainer. Condrieu wins every time. The sparkling wines available, for a wine bar, are pedestrian at best. Prosecco but no Franciacorta? Unacceptable. I wonder which restaurants you are referencing.

Prosecco but no Franciacorta?
Maybe not the best example, as a lot of Franciacorta available in this area doesn't quite do it price/value-wise for me, especially considering by-the-glass pricing. Is Huet petillant available again? Or Chidaine's? I know Tissot's Cremants de Jura are. Brundlmayer brut? Wegeler sekt? That five-years-on-the-lees cava that Wabeck keeps talking about?

Hey, dude, wake up. It's a wine bar. No credible wine bar publishes a list of wines with no vintages. Vintages are square one, understand? Vintages of imported wines, especially, are not something you sweep under the table. Rhone varietals coming out of California have absolutely nothing to do with the same varietals from France for many reasons. California viognier versus good Condrieu is a no brainer. Condrieu wins every time. The sparkling wines available, for a wine bar, are pedestrian at best. Prosecco but no Franciacorta? Unacceptable. I wonder which restaurants you are referencing.

Mark is right about the vintages - it is a problem - but I'm guessing that will be corrected imminently. Also right about California Viognier vs Condrieu - same grape, yes, but it is not really fair to compare them - like comparing ermitage to shiraz. Also, you are hard pressed to find a decent Condrieu retailing for less than $40, and you can drink Alban's central coast viognier for half of that. Of course, some of us like California wines more than others - I happen to think there are several truly outstanding viogniers coming out of California. Moreover, I feel that Condrieu is unlikely to be an entry point into white Rhone varietals for most incipient wine drinkers - too obscure for the general population. But they might experiment with a glass of California or Virginia viognier and hopefully that will ultimately lead them to the holy grail of the grape.

Mark is right about the vintages - it is a problem - but I'm guessing that will be corrected imminently. Also right about California Viognier vs Condrieu - same grape, yes, but it is not really fair to compare them - like comparing ermitage to shiraz. Also, you are hard pressed to find a decent Condrieu retailing for less than $40, and you can drink Alban's central coast viognier for half of that.

There are French viogniers available outside the Condrieu appellation that give a good idea of the delicacy of this grape in the right terroir for way under $40. Domestic viognier is usually oily, oaked and more like a chardonnay substitute. Guigal's "La Doriane" always impresses me the same way California viogniers do - huge, muscular, smoky and lacking subtlety.

There are French viogniers available outside the Condrieu appellation that give a good idea of the delicacy of this grape in the right terroir for way under $40. Domestic viognier is usually oily, oaked and more like a chardonnay substitute. Guigal's "La Doriane" always impresses me the same way California viogniers do - huge, muscular, smoky and lacking subtlety.

That figures - I love La Doriane. I don't find anything Chardonnay like about it or Alban's estate Viognier (among others)

neutrality is great, but creativity and expertice shall lead the pack. perhaps someday...
Seriously?
expertice
No wait...I get it. It's a pun. It's punny. Whoo, I was worried for a second. Hold on, I just gotta say I haven't seen comedic writing of this caliber since the second season of Frasier.

GOOGLE.

That figures - I love La Doriane. I don't find anything Chardonnay like about it or Alban's estate Viognier (among others)

I think some of us can draw some stylistic-preference lines in the sand right here. I recently had a glass of 2003 La Doriane which I found to be one of the most vulgar, offensive Viogniers I've ever tasted. I took two sips, and could drink no more. To each his own.

Cheers,

Rocks.

I think some of us can draw some stylistic-preference lines in the sand right here. I recently had a glass of 2003 La Doriane which I found to be one of the most vulgar, offensive Viogniers I've ever tasted. I took two sips, and could drink no more. To each his own.

Cheers,

Rocks.

It was actually the '03 I had in mind when I made the comparison.

Good afternoon,

I have been observing the chat about my wine bar for awhile, and I believe it is now time to chime in. When the website went live, it was my decision to omit the vintages. Of course, they are listed on the hard copy at the bar, but I definitely see your point, Mr. Slater. Yesterday, I had my IT guys update that to include vintages. This is the first bar I have EVER opened, and I would like to invite you all to come in and let me know what is good and what needs improvement about Veritas. I would never claim to know that everything I do is the right way of doing things, so I would appreciate any advice you can offer to help a fellow person in the biz out. Of course, I have some spelling mistakes and other odds and ends that need to be fixed. Those will work out in time. Thanks for all your support, and I hope you come in and introduce yoursevles. I am looking forward to the critiques.

Cheers,

Adam

Good afternoon,

I have been observing the chat about my wine bar for awhile, and I believe it is now time to chime in. When the website went live, it was my decision to omit the vintages. Of course, they are listed on the hard copy at the bar, but I definitely see your point, Mr. Slater. Yesterday, I had my IT guys update that to include vintages. This is the first bar I have EVER opened, and I would like to invite you all to come in and let me know what is good and what needs improvement about Veritas. I would never claim to know that everything I do is the right way of doing things, so I would appreciate any advice you can offer to help a fellow person in the biz out. Of course, I have some spelling mistakes and other odds and ends that need to be fixed. Those will work out in time. Thanks for all your support, and I hope you come in and introduce yoursevles. I am looking forward to the critiques.

Cheers,

Adam

Welcome, Adam. I got into a fairly lengthy discussion with hmmboy about your wines, and he made some very salient points, certainly enough to get my attention. Another friend of mine - a nationally known wine writer who must remain unnamed - had this to say: "This list has plenty of non-mainstream wines from mainstream and even off the mainstream regions, in addition to the obvious boring stuff, [....] Giacosa Arneis, Schrock, Melville, Arcadian, Mount Eden, Jaffurs, Westerly, Calera, Palmina and Tir na n'og are all tough sells and I'm surprised that he has the balls to try. Believe me, he could [be] way, WAY more sucky than this." I wish you guys the best and look forward to visiting soon.

Cheers,

Rocks.

Welcome, Adam. I got into a fairly lengthy discussion with hmmboy about your wines, and he made some very salient points, certainly enough to get my attention. Another friend of mine - a nationally known wine writer who must remain unnamed - had this to say: "This list has plenty of non-mainstream wines from mainstream and even off the mainstream regions, in addition to the obvious boring stuff, [....] Giacosa Arneis, Schrock, Melville, Arcadian, Mount Eden, Jaffurs, Westerly, Calera, Palmina and Tir na n'og are all tough sells and I'm surprised that he has the balls to try. Believe me, he could [be] way, WAY more sucky than this." I wish you guys the best and look forward to visiting soon.

Cheers,

Rocks.

Welcome, Adam, and ditto what Don said. I know from personal experience here when everyone chimes in it can feel a little like a pile-on. Veritas is a great addition to the neighborhood. Best of luck!

....it can feel a little like a pile-on.

It WAS a pile on. (Notice how the tone changed after an objective authority was brough in by DR).

We should give new restaurants and bars the benefit of the doubt before drawing conclusions from their website v1.0. Instead of tearing him down online, go support him and while you're drinking be thankful that the DC-metro market is now large and sophisticated enough to support "yet another" wine bar. There are worse things, right?

Most professional critics visit a new restaurant or bar several times, over several months, before reviewing, and I think the "virtual" reviews we saw by people who had never set foot in the restaurant or spoken to Adam isn't right. I mean, reviewing a place via it's brand-new website on the day it opens? That's tough - and unfair.

I think people sometimes forget that in DC, you're often dealing with individual owners, not chains or celebrity-chefs impervious to online innuendo; restaurant owners and chefs are (shocker!) real people who put their money and lives on the line, largely out of passion, who care about what you say, and will attempt to improve if the comments are sincere and helpful.

Adam worked at Mendocino, with its 200+ California and Northwest wines, and helped open Sonoma and implement the wine program there. In both places he developed lasting relationships with the premier wine suppliers and many of their winemakers. His bona fides aren't an issue.

Beyond all that, he puts his heart into his work. We wish him the best!

It was a pile on. Funny how the tone changed after an "authority" chimed in.

We should give new restaurants and bars the benefit of the doubt before drawing conclusions from their website v1.0. Instead of tearing him down online , go support him, and let's be thankful that the DC-metro market is open and sophisticated enough to support "yet another" wine bar.

Most professional critics visit a new restaurant or bar several times, over several months, before reviewing, and I think the "virtual" reviews we saw by people who had never set foot in the restaurant or spoken to Adam aren't fair. I mean reviewing a place via it's brand-new website on the day it opens - that's tough. And unfair.

Adam spent quite a while with us at Sonoma and Mendocino, and he's on top of his wines, and puts his heart into his work. We wish him the best!

I'm happy to take on authority :angry: -- I'd like to see more wines for under $10 a glass on the list because it would be nice to have a place a block from my office that was inexpensive enough for a casual drop-by, and I think it shows a commitment to educating and nurturing those of us with more limited budgets and draws out the creativity of the wine-buyer. I spent all my money in Proof last week and don't want to be reduced to drinking Yellow Tail.

But, I'll wait until I actually get into the place before I trash the decor and the cheese plate.

Welcome, Adam. See you soon, I'm sure.

I do agree on the vintages, thats why I never mentioned vintages. my point was to the content of the list, new world and old world PRODUCERS, and varietals not vintages. As far as Condrieu beating Cali, for sure, thats why I mentioned that wines can be better in the old world. Prosecco to most is pedestrian, but sparkling wines by the glass dont have to be, Proof pours Krug... not too pedestrian.

Popped in with a friend the other day. Enjoyed the space -- small, clean-lined, candle-lit -- and the cool people hanging out. Had a mixed view of the wine. Nice selection, especially enjoyed a McKinley Springs Chenin Blanc and a Chehalem Pino Noir. But, to be honest, the pours felt like less than the standard 5 ounces and, given that the by-the-glass selections are not inexpensive, it was a little off-putting. We dropped a pretty good wad of cash pretty fast. That's not altogether surpising, but if I'm thinking of a lingering evening of drinking, I'll likely end up at BdC.

I enjoyed the cheese selction, but the bread served with the cheese has to go. I mean -- is it 1976? Also the olives and gherkins that come with the cheese come in these little porcelain cubes sized such that a a guy with big fingers like myself :angry: has to awkwardly use his pointer and middle fingers as tweezers to extract the acompanyments. The cheeses deserve better.

I'm not a flight guy, but some thought went into the both the wine and cheese flights; probably worth exploring.

All in all, I'm not ready to fall in love, but worth a second date.

Also the olives and gherkins that come with the cheese come in these little porcelain cubes sized such that a a guy with big fingers like myself :angry: has to awkwardly use his pointer and middle fingers as tweezers to extract the acompanyments.

It's called a fork and it is the long silver thing with tines. Invest heavily in this stock..I think it could revolutionize eating as we know it B)

I am by no means a wine expert, so I am only commenting on this place as a wine bar to spend time with friends. I love the space, and it has potential for me to spend some serious time and money at. My problem, and a big enough problem to keep my from coming back, is that myself, and my whole group I was with last night, felt that it was way overpriced. With only a couple bottles under $40, and two or three glasses under $10, this is not a neighborhood wine bar. In fact, the majority of the wines by the glass were $11+. Considering that I agree that the pours looked rather small, it is just not a realistic place to go have drinks. I think that it would gain many more customers if there were some lower priced selections.

It's called a fork and it is the long silver thing with tines. Invest heavily in this stock..I think it could revolutionize eating as we know it B)

You eat olives with a fork? Very fastidious. :angry:

Actually, a seafood fork -- better yet, an escargot fork -- might work; a dinner fork would appear disproportionately large.

I am by no means a wine expert, so I am only commenting on this place as a wine bar to spend time with friends. I love the space, and it has potential for me to spend some serious time and money at. My problem, and a big enough problem to keep my from coming back, is that myself, and my whole group I was with last night, felt that it was way overpriced. With only a couple bottles under $40, and two or three glasses under $10, this is not a neighborhood wine bar. In fact, the majority of the wines by the glass were $11+. Considering that I agree that the pours looked rather small, it is just not a realistic place to go have drinks. I think that it would gain many more customers if there were some lower priced selections.

Those prices are in line with wine bars nationwide. To get prices less than that you have to be selling plonk.

Those prices are in line with wine bars nationwide. To get prices less than that you have to be selling plonk.

Nonesense. There is at least one $10 bottle being offered at $10 a glass. It can't be that hard to offer at least one inexpensive bottle with a smaller profit margin.