Veritas Wine Bar, DC's First Temperature-Controlled Wine Bar With 70 Wines By The Glass, Dupont Circle - Closed

Those prices are in line with wine bars nationwide. To get prices less than that you have to be selling plonk.

Bullshit. Certainly no one's asking not to have mid- and high-end wines available. The option to have a taste of something you can't really afford (or don't care to pay for) great gulps of is wonderful. But there are hundreds of decent wines that retail for between $15 and $25 that could be sold by the glass for $10 or under. To maintain otherwise is mindless snobbery.

(Edited to add that I thought a couple of Veritas's lower-priced offerings were quite un-plonky.)

I am going to have to play devil's advocate in favor of me :angry:

BUT...

23 wines by the glass $10 and under

25 wines by the glass $11-$13

10 wines by the glass $14-$15

10 wines by the glass $16 and higher

23 wines by the glass 10 or below should be enough, right?

27 bottles $40 and under

37 bottles between $41 - $50

36 bottles between $51 - $60

The most expensive bottle is $180

That makes 100 out of 180 wines on the list $60 or below.

Just something to ponder... B)

I am going to have to play devil's advocate in favor of me :angry:

BUT...

23 wines by the glass $10 and under

25 wines by the glass $11-$13

10 wines by the glass $14-$15

10 wines by the glass $16 and higher

23 wines by the glass 10 or below should be enough, right?

27 bottles $40 and under

37 bottles between $41 - $50

36 bottles between $51 - $60

The most expensive bottle is $180

That makes 100 out of 180 wines on the list $60 or below.

Just something to ponder... B)

I appreciate the breakdown. Of the bottles $40 and under though...only three or four are below $35. And of the glasses $10 and below, only a few are actually less than $10. I understand you have nice selections, but I think you would more regulars (i.e. me) if you would be able to offer more options in these price ranges.

Bullshit. Certainly no one's asking not to have mid- and high-end wines available. The option to have a taste of something you can't really afford (or don't care to pay for) great gulps of is wonderful. But there are hundreds of decent wines that retail for between $15 and $25 that could be sold by the glass for $10 or under. To maintain otherwise is mindless snobbery.

(Edited to add that I thought a couple of Veritas's lower-priced offerings were quite un-plonky.)

Back at you waitman, I wasn't saying that was a good price, just in line with what most "wine bars" charge. With the kind of markup that is necessary to make a profit, especially when you consider the overhead in this town, wines that retail for $20 or so have to be priced at about $10 per glass to take care of overhead, etc. And I'm very comfortable in my wine snobbery in that I won't drink the kind of plonk you seem to favor.

I'll have to agree that the prices are in line. Geez there are some places that charge close to 20 for a martini.

Even on a low priced bottle, it is a product that will spoil. So there is spoilage. A good place will offer larger pours when they know that the bottle has been open for a while.

Stemware-What are they using? Good stemware breaks and this has to be figured into the price. My everyday Speigalu red stem usually costs me $50 for 6..and they don't last forever.

Back at you waitman, I wasn't saying that was a good price, just in line with what most "wine bars" charge. With the kind of markup that is necessary to make a profit, especially when you consider the overhead in this town, wines that retail for $20 or so have to be priced at about $10 per glass to take care of overhead, etc. And I'm very comfortable in my wine snobbery in that I won't drink the kind of plonk you seem to favor.

We're getting away from the bar at hand here, so Don may want to move this, but I don't so much enjoy plonk -- though there is little that the world of wine has to offer more delightful than a cheap liter of local rose in a small Provencal town -- but I do appreciate value. Anyone who can't find drinkable wines for the range I mentioned upstream ($15-25 retail) is more impressed by price than quality. Feel free to try that shoe on.

I appreciate the breakdown. Of the bottles $40 and under though...only three or four are below $35. And of the glasses $10 and below, only a few are actually less than $10. I understand you have nice selections, but I think you would more regulars (i.e. me) if you would be able to offer more options in these price ranges.
Come on. At what price point would you find the place acceptable? 50 selections under $20 - Half of the glasses $10 and below under $5? $35 for an interesting, well thought out bottle in a major city is a good deal. Were you unhappy with the glasses less than $10? Did you not like any of the bottles less than $35?

ETA: I agree with Waitman on both the merits of cheap local wines and his range of pricing, but for the OP to continue to split hairs after a correction seems to be piling on.

Come on. At what price point would you find the place acceptable? 50 selections under $20 - Half of the glasses $10 and below under $5? $35 for an interesting, well thought out bottle in a major city is a good deal. Were you unhappy with the glasses less than $10? Did you not like any of the bottles less than $35?

ETA: I agree with Waitman on both the merits of cheap local wines and his range of pricing, but for the OP to continue to split hairs after a correction seems to be piling on.

Hey! Proof has 400 wines under $7,000! :angry:

With only a couple bottles under $40, and two or three glasses under $10
Of the bottles $40 and under though...only three or four are below $35. And of the glasses $10 and below, only a few are actually less than $10.

I understand your point about more affordable options (hell, I would prefer cocktails closer to $5 than to $10 in any bar I visited), but I agree with dinwiddie that the price structure appears to be in line with a place calling itself a wine bar. I suspect BdC is not what Veritias' target demographic would consider a wine bar or a close substitute for the "experience" they are seeking :angry: .

I take stronger issue with your initial critique of Veritas and your response after Alan posted his numbers. First, he stated 27 bottles are $40 or under so you are clearly wrong about there being only a couple. Instead you changed the argument by replying that only three or four are below $35. I suppose it is more the argument that dinwiddie and Waitman are having, but how many wines below $35 have you had in a tablecloth restaurant that are not plonk? They exist and hopefully those on the list at Veritas are not plonk, but they are hard to find in the varietals (cabernet, chardonnay) most customers are seeking, and three or four is probably a fair representation of their proportion in the market being served. How many in the target demographic will buy wines made from gamay or melon? Second, I counted eight glasses from the online list that are priced $8-9 so you are clearly wrong about there being two or three. But here I am not sure what you would like: to save $2? You might consider switching to fancy beer - not that there's anything wrong with that. Your desires do not seem realistic.

BTW I have no feelings one way or the other about how Veritas does in this market. Dupont Circle is not a place I go to more than a few times a year.

I suppose it is more the argument that dinwiddie and Waitman are having, but how many wines below $35 have you had in a tablecloth restaurant that are not plonk? They exist and hopefully those on the list at Veritas are not plonk, but they are hard to find in the varietals (cabernet, chardonnay) most customers are seeking, and three or four is probably a fair representation of their proportion in the market being served. How many in the target demographic will buy wines made from gamay or melon? .

There is another way to look at this that many times customers don't think about. In a restaurant, a $25 bottle costs the retaurant between $5 and perhaps $9, so your point about drinking cheap wine in a tablecloth restaurant is amplified. Conversely, when a customer complains that a glass of wine costs $15, they usually don't realize that the glass came from a bottle priced between $55-$75.

We're getting away from the bar at hand here, so Don may want to move this, but I don't so much enjoy plonk -- though there is little that the world of wine has to offer more delightful than a cheap liter of local rose in a small Provencal town -- but I do appreciate value. Anyone who can't find drinkable wines for the range I mentioned upstream ($15-25 retail) is more impressed by price than quality. Feel free to try that shoe on.

I did not mean to be so snippy, or to say that you only drink plonk. I was reacting at first blush to your response to mine.

However, I agree with you, it is delightful to find a good wine at a good price. There are plenty of "drinkable" wines in the $15-25 price range. However, personally, since my doctor has pretty much ordered me to not have more than two bottles of wine per week (and he would prefer that I have less than that) for reasons of my health, and I can certainly afford it, I tend to spend the money to get "really good" wines rather than settle for "drinkable" ones whenever possible. That is not to say that I won't buy good quality, relatively inexpensive wines, just that since I must limit my intake and can afford to spend the money, tend to pamper myself when it comes to wine. I stand by my statement that the prices at Veritas are not "out of line with most wine bars nationally" but that does not mean that I think that the prices are what I would like to spend if I had my druthers.

As I see it, the price of wine by the glass should be pretty easy to determine. You can get five 5 oz. pours out of a 750ml bottle. Divide the price you are selling a wine by the bottle by 4 and charge that (or prefferably a little less) by the glass. That gives you the at least the same profit that you are making on the bottle taking into account for spoilage and other costs related to serving by the glass. Thus, if you are selling a bottle for $36 on your list, it should not cost more than $9 a glass. On the other hand, if you are selling a bottle for $100, $25 a glass is also reasonable.

Many, many years ago I worked in a restaurant (long since gone) in LA that had a very good wine list. The owner had a policy exactly like the one I described when it came to pricing wine by the glass. He also had a policy that any bottle on his list would be available by the glass if you would guarantee to buy two glasses. This way he would be willing to open a bottle of a really good 1964 Burgundy (I did say it was a long, long time ago) and sell it by the glass. The restaurant had a cart and chalkboard of the "specials", i.e., wines that there were just a few glasses of due to this policy. Folks used to come in just to see what was available on the cart. That is how I was able to taste some wines that to this day I would never be able to justify buying for myself. (Oh how I wish I had been able to buy some of them then at the prices that were charged, I'd be rich.)

But, to be honest, the pours felt like less than the standard 5 ounces and, given that the by-the-glass selections are not inexpensive, it was a little off-putting.
As I see it, the price of wine by the glass should be pretty easy to determine. You can get five 5 oz. pours out of a 750ml bottle. Divide the price you are selling a wine by the bottle by 4 and charge that (or prefferably a little less) by the glass.

I agree with Waitman that the pours appeared to be less than five ounces. Not considering price, I actually think this is a good thing: It gives the customer a chance to try more wines, and five ounces really is a huge fill.

Cheers,

Rocks.

I agree with Waitman that the pours appeared to be less than five ounces. Not considering price, I actually think this is a good thing: It gives the customer a chance to try more wines, and five ounces really is a huge fill.

Cheers,

Rocks.

If the pours are less than 5 oz, then waitman has a beef. My calculations are based on a standard pour. If they pour three ounces, then the prices are way too high. Of course, in a decently sized glass, 6 ounces doesn't look like much.

If the pours are less than 5 oz, then waitman has a beef. My calculations are based on a standard pour. If they pour three ounces, then the prices are way too high. Of course, in a decently sized glass, 6 ounces doesn't look like much.

You'll love this...

I sell 10oz Coca-Cola bottles, so right before a shift starts we take one bottle and empty into two equal parts. We then split that one into two to accurately measure the flight pour. I mean, the grocery store is on the way to the bar, and I just keep forgetting to purchase a measuring cup. :angry:

Cheers,

Adam

You'll love this...

I sell 10oz Coca-Cola bottles, so right before a shift starts we take one bottle and empty into two equal parts. We then split that one into two to accurately measure the flight pour. I mean, the grocery store is on the way to the bar, and I just keep forgetting to purchase a measuring cup. :angry:

Cheers,

Adam

After reading this post, I actually walked downstairs and poured five ounces of water into a wine glass, using a measuring cup. Although my wine glasses are a bit bigger than the ones used at Veritas, I have to say that the pours at Veritas may be something close to five ounces after all. The bartenders were eyeballing the pours, but from what I saw just two minutes ago - which was exactly five ounces - they weren't as far apart in size as I originally thought.

Adam, are you getting five or six pours per bottle? That should address the question. I was assuming six, but now I'm not so sure.

You guys are setting some sort of record for thread views. Best publicity money can't buy?

Cheers,

Rocks.

After reading this post, I actually walked downstairs and poured five ounces of water into a wine glass, using a measuring cup. Although my wine glasses are a bit bigger than the ones used at Veritas, I have to say that the pours at Veritas may be something close to five ounces after all. The bartenders were eyeballing the pours, but from what I saw just two minutes ago - which was exactly five ounces - they weren't as far apart in size as I originally thought.

Adam, are you getting five or six pours per bottle? That should address the question. I was assuming six, but now I'm not so sure.

You guys are setting some sort of record for thread views. Best publicity money can't buy?

Cheers,

Rocks.

A standard bottle of wine has 24.3 oz or 750 ml. Do the math.

Our glass-pour is 6 ounces, but when we pour it into an 18 ounce wine glass people often ask for the "rest of their wine." I have no intention of changing our glassware, but at least once a night I understand why so many restaurants use tiny wine glasses....

Our glass-pour is 6 ounces, but when we pour it into an 18 ounce wine glass people often ask for the "rest of their wine." I have no intention of changing our glassware, but at least once a night I understand why so many restaurants use tiny wine glasses....

We have the same issue - exactly 180ml (6.08 oz) every time, but in a 22 oz. glass. Generous pour but doesn't look it.

We have the same issue - exactly 180ml (6.08 oz) every time, but in a 22 oz. glass. Generous pour but doesn't look it.

As the individual who brought pour size into the discussion, I just want to say that I don't my being called a plonk-swilling, bar-bashing, anal-retentive cheapskate (though even those who disagreed with me we more polite than that), but I do not wish it thought that I am plonk-swilling, bar-bashing, anal-retentive cheapskate rube, who is unaware of the proper size of a proper wineglass.

I now return you to your previously scheduled discussion. :angry:

(Actually, I spent a couple of years in the biz and even at restaurants far below the quality of those represented in this discussion -- anyone remember Boss Shepherd's? -- a steady trickle of customers would maintain that a ten ounce glass containing five ounces of wine was indeed half empty.)

but I do not wish it thought that I am plonk-swilling, bar-bashing, anal-retentive cheapskate rube, who is unaware of the proper size of a proper wineglass.

Sorry. I wasn't trying to insult anyone - just pointing out one of the unfortunate drawbacks of proper wineglasses.

seems that all the great and ungreat results that some from by the glass items , are always some kind of after thought "is that the right amount of wine" ,, think about its value, and the cost if you were to have 4 glasses of that same wine, and is it worth the amount of the bottle, and do you think it would equal a bottle? at the end of the day, four glasses of wine whether they be divided equally amongst the 750ml, or not, is are you happy with what you were drinking. if it looks skimpy, then say, "can you pour a little more" chances are, very few waiters, captains, somm's. etc will refuse you ,,we are not in the business to argue, or gripe to a guest, that is what happens behind the seens :PB) but really.. the whole measured pour thing is great, but where is the personal touch of pouring at the table (club service) and seeing the bottle you are drinking a glass of,, really have to be trusting there aye :angry:

(Actually, I spent a couple of years in the biz and even at restaurants far below the quality of those represented in this discussion -- anyone remember Boss Shepherd's? -- a steady trickle of customers would maintain that a ten ounce glass containing five ounces of wine was indeed half empty.)

I can very clearly remember serving wine to a restaurant owner 15 years ago and him saying "Aren't you going to fill it up?". "No, sir. It's and 18 ounce glass". This doesn't much happen anymore.

Went last night. It was nice, and would be in my regular rotation, but, it was LOUD!!! I mean really LOUD!!!! I ended up leaving early just because my ears couldn't take it. Both when it was complelely full, and later, when there were only about 25 people, it was just too loud for a conversation -- my friends and my ears actually hurt -- and we are all in our early 30s, and not usually bothered by the noise level in a place like Bistrot du Coin, for example.

The space is nice, but I think all the hard surfaces are the problem. Wood floors, low ceilings, no wall hangings, hard chairs -- the noise just bounces. It's a nice additon to the neigborhood, but I won't be back on a weekend, and maybe even not during the week (since it was loud with just 20 people) unless they can do something about the noise. Also, it seemed like all of Georgetown class of 2008 was there -- the crowd was a bit strange for a wine bar.

Finally, the glass partition in the entryway is a disaster waiting to happen. It's hard to see, and it will only take one person who over-indulged to walk into it and break it.

On the positive side, the servers were very nice and knowledgeable, pours seemed generous to me, and my friends who ate the cheese plate loved it. Also, as a former Bostonian, I liked the subtle Harvard theme (the name, the crimson walls).

ETA: These criticisms are only posted to give management some suggestions. My friends and I, who live in the neighborhood, all want this place to succeed. And, yes, we did also fill out a comment card at the bar too.

Two friends and I were also there last night and came away with the same impression. Our ears were ringing by the time we left!

But we liked the wine, the cheese, the charcuterie, the space and the service. Really the only thing that struck us as odd was how the prosciutto was served--instead of being laid out in thin slices it came out in one big lump. We tried to be graceful as we pulled the lump apart, but probably failed. :angry:

Oh, and Waitman's comment about the square containers for condiments and accompaniments was dead on. Fork or no fork, they are just deep enough to make things awkward.

Bottom line, though, is that Veritas is a nice addition.

What's the table set-up like inside? From the outside it seems like a small space. Is it a good spot for meeting 6 or 8 friends for happy hour, or better just for a twosome? Also, will they let you sit at a table if you're just drinking wine? (That might sound like a dumb question, but I remember being asked to vacate a booth years ago at Bardeo because we weren't ordering a meal.) On the flip side, is it a place you can make a meal out of, or more of a first stop for the evening before heading out for dinner somewhere else?

There are about six or seven four-tops in the front of the space and then some smaller cocktail tables (maybe four? not sure.) along the left wall. This is in addition to the bar. I wouldn't try to have a big meet-up there on a weekend, but during the week it might work.

The food menu consists exclusively of cheeses, cured meats and pates with their accompaniments. A tasty start, but not enough for a meal. I'd love to see Veritas expand its offerings to crostini or similar. The only reasons we left when we did were a desire for more food and the noise.

Isn't this how full the wine glasses should be? :blink:

If you enlarge that photo and look closely, you will see that the bottle is not opened. Also, the article mentions Duckhorn Vineyards Howell Mountain Merlot, and the bottle in the picture is clearly the less expensive Napa Valley bottling. Good pic of Wabeck's mug, though. :P

Sleuth Slater

Hello All,

Update on a couple of issues -

1. We are working on noise reduction

2. We are going to hang curtains in front of the glass panes, so nobody runs into it.

3. Here is an update on the wine list after a price reduction:

34 Wines By The Glass $6 - $10

18 Wines By The Glass $11 - $12

8 Wines By The Glass $13 - $14

3 Wines By The Glass $15 - $16

5 Wines By The Glass $17 & Higher

Cheers,

Adam

Ended up at Veritas last night...overall the place is very nice. I can see how some might gripe over the wine prices and you can quickly run up a large tab...but there seemed like plenty of selections in the $8-$10 range, which isn't completely out of line for wine by the glass prices at a nice restaurant.

We also went with a selection of cheese, 3 for $11 (I think) all very tasty, although I'll have to agree that the bowls with the accompaniments are challenging for the thick fingered!

A welcome addition to the DC scene, and a good spot to know about for impressing a date or drinks after dinner etc.

I went a couple of weeks ago and loved everything except its popularity. We got there around 6:35 on a random Tuesday, and seemed to have timed it perfectly wrong -- we were the first people standing, and it ended up taking more than a half hour to get a seat. (Given that it's a bar, not a restaurant with a host stand and waiting list, waiting to get seats also meant engaging in a combination of survival of the fittest and musical chairs, where snagging a seat required a combination of aggressiveness and perfect placement.) But aside from that, we enjoyed the wine (for me, who cannot drink reds (hopefully temporarily), the McKinley Springs chenin blanc and the Duckhorn sauvignon blanc, if memory serves), a trio of cheeses, and the bresaola and canard a l'orange. With the accompanying bread, I found this plenty for a night out (though I recognize for those with heartier appetites this wouldn't be more than the prelude to a proper meal). I loved the atmosphere, and though I kept thinking if they had more tables (particularly some two-tops) they'd be able to seat more people, I also liked the relative spaciousness in such a small space.

Went last night. It was nice, and would be in my regular rotation, but, it was LOUD!!! I mean really LOUD!!!! I ended up leaving early just because my ears couldn't take it. Both when it was complelely full, and later, when there were only about 25 people, it was just too loud for a conversation -- my friends and my ears actually hurt -- and we are all in our early 30s, and not usually bothered by the noise level in a place like Bistrot du Coin, for example.

I was walking by with some friends Friday night, and thought to try this place for some good wine and a little grub. Hadn't really read anything on the board yet other than the first spattering of criticism about the website. Was about 9pm, pulled open the door, took two steps inside with my friends right behind me, and promptly turned right around. It was incredibly and painfully L-O-U-D. Two steps forward, two steps back out the door Loud. My friend has a slight hearing issue, so I immediately knew this wouldn't work for us- but even if she hadn't been there, I would have done the same exact thing. Yes it was Friday night, the place was packed, and I didn't go in far enough to see if we would have been able to get seats anyway. I'm guessing (and hoping) it's not this bad on a weeknight, or even earlier on. But man, at that time it was like walking into a wall of noise.

If you want quiet go to a funeral home :blink: This place always has it's niche and while I admit that it gets noisy, it's the nature of this beast and I kinda like the feel and vibe. Obviously it is not going to be for everyone, so i recommed if your looking for intamacy and quiet--this is not the place for that--unless you go withing the first 2 hours of opening.

If you want quiet go to a funeral home :P This place always has it's niche and while I admit that it gets noisy, it's the nature of this beast and I kinda like the feel and vibe. Obviously it is not going to be for everyone, so i recommed if your looking for intamacy and quiet--this is not the place for that--unless you go withing the first 2 hours of opening.

Yeah, funeral homes aren't exactly my ideal hang out :blink:. Wasn't looking for intimacy, was looking for the ability to enjoy wine and fun conversation with my friends on a Friday night, and in a lively setting - but if this place's niche is painfully loud wine bar, then you're right, it's not for me and I'll take my business elsewhere without hesitation, as we did that night. A loud environment such as this was unacceptable for what we were seeking that evening - I wanted to be able to hear what my friends were saying and to communicate without shouting. I hope that the loudness I experienced is not in fact the "nature of this beast," as the owner himself said he was looking for ways to minimize the noise. I hope he's successful at this so that I might also be able to experience the feel and vibe of this place that you and others enjoy.

Well, I think the "nature of the beast" of any new, hip, hot spot in Dupont Circle prime time on a Friday is crowded and loud. So try it, say, on a Tuesday night...or perhaps on a Sunday after a day at the Phillips.
Someone I talked to who was there last night said that it was packed/standing room.

I hope that the loudness I experienced is not in fact the "nature of this beast," as the owner himself said he was looking for ways to minimize the noise. I hope he's successful at this so that I might also be able to experience the feel and vibe of this place that you and others enjoy.

I was successful. I put sound absorbing foam underneath the chairs and tables, and it reduced the noise by about 25%, so you can imagine how it was before. You experienced the busiest night we ever had last week. The first thing to remember when walking in is that the sign reads "Veritas Wine BAR" not "Veritas Wine Restaurant". Although they are not wine bars, Veritas is a pussy cat compared to Mie N Yu or the Tantra Lounge on a weekend night. Try coming in on a Sunday or Monday, as MONDAY is now half price bottle list night.

I made my second visit to Veritas tonight. Again, I really like it other than the noise. I know Adam has made efforts, but even tonight at perhaps 75% capacity, it was darn loud. For the record, I'm 34, not hard of hearing, not what I'd consider old and music was NOT playing at the point where I thought it was loudest.

The cheese selections were really excellent (especially the triple cream cheese our bartender called out--like butter, literally), as were the service, the wines and Champagnes I drank so I do plan to return.

I really think you just can't beat this place, particularly on a Monday night. Went in last night and drank a bottle of Cliquot, a bottle of delicious Burgundy, had 6 cheese and 3 meats and walked out for $150 plus tip. We got great recomendations from the bar staff about cheese pairings all of which were delicious and the wine service was quite good (as would be expected). The cheeses we had were...

With the sparkling:

1. Brillat Savarin - a soft triple cream

2. Roaring Forties Blue - a sweet and nutty blue

3. Manchego

With the Burgundy:

1. Gouda which was the hardest cheese of the evening

2. Gorgonzola - which was good, but I typically like my blue a little firmer and stinkier ;) so i prefer the Roaring Forties

3. Some sort of ash rind semi-soft goat cheese

Overall everything was delicious. I didn't find it too loud as some people have mentioned, although it wasn't completely full while we were there.

While the east-coast returns were coming in last night, Veritas was nearly empty. I sat at the bar and had a generously filled, properly chilled glass of 2004 Chateau Haut-Monplaisir Cahors ($11) while a gentleman (of color) sat next to me, both of us with our eyes glued on the flat-screen, listening to the pundits at CNN.

Finally after one of the comments, he turned to me and said, "You know, Paul Begala really needs to stop referring to him as 'Barack.'"

I said, "Obama has done such a good job making people feel comfortable that everyone feels like they're friends with him - like they want to have a drink with the guy,"

"Yeah, but ... he's on the verge of being elected the 44th President of the United States of America. Call him SENATOR OBAMA, not Barack."

'They did the same thing with Hill...' was my first thought, but then it very quickly dawned on me: He was right.

"You're right," I said. "But in a few more months it won't matter, because they're going to be calling him President Obama."

He raised his glass a little bit and smiled, then said very slowly and with an incredible amount of savor in his voice, "Hell yes." Then he reached for his bottle of wine, filled his glass, turned back towards the flat-screen, and said "Come on! Let's see some more projections!"

Cheers,

Rocks.

BarredinDC tweeted:

@veritaswinebar in north Dupont will be closing August 2nd. Opened in Oct 2007. Possibly replaced by something called McClellan's Retreat.

Veritas tweeted that they're closing, but the Facebook link in their tweet doesn't work:

It is sad to say that after almost 7 years, it is time for Veritas Wine Bar to say goodbye. Our last day will be... http://fb.me/4nqHr2Ueh