hillvalley

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

General Directions to Belle Haven Park:

Belle Haven Park is immediately south of Old Town Alexandria on the George Washington Parkway.

The main north/south route through Old Town is Washignton Street. The Parkway turns into Washington Street north of Old Town (south of Reagan National Airport) and back into the Parkway a little after Washington Street crosses over the beltway.

Once you are past the beltway, the Potomac River will be right next to the road on your left. About a mile after you cross over the beltway, you come to an exit on the left for Belle Haven Marina. Take that exit and once you exit, take the immediate left turn into the park.

There are 3 parking lots and if you don't see a space in the first one you come to, press on, there will be spaces in one of the others. The middle one is the most convenient to our picnic site, but the other two are close as well.

Right now, we plan to set up next to the river right behind the restrooms. If that changes, I will let you know. Look for tables that have notices stapled to them that say "Reserved for Rockwell Foundation Picnic." If anyone needs more refined directions, please PM me.

But, more importantly, we need volunteers to help babysit the picnic tables on Sunday morning.Ā  A friend of mine and I will be at the park right before dark (the park closes at dark) on Saturday to corral the tables and I will be back at the park at 8:30 on Sunday morning to exercise my dog; I can revalidate the claim then.Ā  We need people work one-hour or so shifts the rest of the morning starting at 9:30.Ā  The weather will be beautiful so bring the Sunday paper and a cup of coffee and keep table poachers away.Ā  Please PM me with the time you would prefer.Ā  I will keep this post updated as time slots fill up.

9:30-10:30--

10:30-11:30--Goldenticket

11:30-12:30--

12:30-1:00--Crackers

Help make Jacques and my weekend easier: step up and volunteer to picnic table sit. Especially all of you who already live across the river.

Those of you who were at our spring picnic know that part of the success was our site and the amont of space we had. If we don't watch the space we may loose it, especiall since it is going to be a beautiful day.

Please let Jacques or me know if you can help out.

Here it is... the moment you've all been waiting for... the last food tally!

No, you won't get in trouble if you change your mind at the last minute/have a recipe malfuction/there is a utility outage at your house/(fill in the blank) and you end up bringing something other than what is listed next to your name below.

And, yes, you are certainly still welcome at the picnic even if you have not let anyone know you are coming and/or what you are bringing.

So good luck everyone with your purchasing, prepping, chopping, braising, mixing, smoking, cooking, kneading, mixing, mashing, baking, slicing and plating. I'm looking forward to tasting all this food!

Meats/Mains:

Jacques Gastreaux -- 2 smoked pork shoulders (butt) & NC-style sauce

rvanrens -- lightly cremated dead animal

shogun -- miniburgers with an assortment of similarly played-out toppings

mktye -- TX-style BBQ brisket with country-western song sauce

Tripewriter & Walrus -- Cincinnati chili

bubbaque -- couple or three racks of dry-rubbed ribs with a side of chipotle bbq sauce

mdt -- surprise meat :D

Beau (of Camille-Beau) -- filet of beef tenderloin (medium rare)

Al Dente -- definitely-maybe a braised beef substance, probably spicy, with some good tortilla action

Sides/Salads:

Jacques Gastreaux -- roasted potato salad

CresentFresh -- some form of chicken salad and probably some corn bread

RaisaB -- tuna aspic

mktye -- coleslaw

Barbara -- pasta salad in homage to Rocks

ScotteeM -- green bean salad

DanielK -- applesauce (or should this be under desserts?)

MelGold -- a big tossed salad (and a surprise :lol: )

goldenticket -- Morrocan spiced carrot salad

Camille (of Camille-Beau) -- pesto pasta salad

Rissa P -- fruit platter

Scott Johnston -- homemade pickles (2 kinds sweet and sour) with may show up a bit late

Desserts:

LoganCircle -- better-than-Cakelove red velvet cupcakes

laniloa -- chocolate-laden baked goods

Skysplitter -- pie(s)

tenunda -- cake and/or pie

hm212 -- a dessert

crackers -- tentatively an apple crisp

clayrae -- something chocolate

goldenticket -- zucchini chocolate cake

Camille (of Camille-Beau) -- possibly a caramel & cream cheese apple pie

Heather -- sugar cookies

Nadya's friend -- chocolate amaretti cake

Appetizers/Drinks/Other:

clayrae -- michael chiarello's cheese salsa with things to dip

Heather -- veggies and dip

hillvalley -- smoked alaskan salmon with a dipping sauce and brown bread

Rissa P -- epoisses :D

Nadya -- tomatoes with blue cheese, basil and bacon

Hannah -- chips, bread, soda, or some combination thereof

hm212 -- ā€œkid junkā€

Jacques Gastreaux -- thermos of "martian pig slop from hell"

starfish -- "beverages"

JPW -- soft drinks and bottled water

Ferhat -- soft drinks

Rissa P -- ice, paper napkins and trash bags

MelGold -- trash bags and containers for leftovers

crackers -- large garbage bags and zip-lock freezer bags

Monique DC -- plastic storage bags/plastic cups/paper towels and such

mktye -- tablecoverings and a means of securing them to the tables

Jacques Gastreaux -- a corkscrew (just in case)

rvanrens -- BBQ grill

DanielK -- soccer stuff for the kids

Bringing a dish to be named later:

Tweaked, someone who we'll be happy to see when he shows up late

Please PM me with any picnic-food-related corrections, omissions, deletions, additions, changes, spelling errors and/or questions. Or if you need help in deciding what to bring. Of course, things are quickly reaching the point where it does not really matter all that much and I do not plan on updating this list again, but if you feel the need to get something off your chest, go right ahead... :P

See you all tomorrow!

And an update on the extra virgin olive oil tasting...

It is not too late to contribute an oil. It appears we have all the big producers pretty well covered, but it would be nice to have more of the smaller name EVOOs represented.

The only requirements are:

1. It is an extra virgin olive oil

2. You bring at least 1 to 2 cups of oil (open bottles are okay)

Brands of EVOO we have so far:

Filipo Berio

Bertolli

Carapelli

Bella Famiglia

Pompeian

Trader Joe's

Trader Joe's Kalamata

Trader Joe's Black Truffle

Wegmans "Tuscan Style"

Wegmans "Puglia Style"

Whole Foods

Manni "Per Me"

Manni "Per Mio Figlio"

Antica Italia

Carm Grande Escolha

Sasso

Lucini "First Cold Press"

Olio Beato

(Some logistics for those who plan on bringing an oil that I've not yet corresponded with... We are planning on making the initial part of the olive oil sampling a blind tasting. So, in order to avoid the need for everyone to do a lot of fill-in-the-blanks when the identities of the samples are revealed, we're putting together an answer key to hand out at the comletion of the blind sampling. If you can PM me the brand of the EVOO you are contributing before ~9:00 a.m. tomorrow morning, it will really help save time during the tasting because I'll be able to pre-print the name of the oil on the answer key. But if do you miss the above deadline, please still bring your oil and we'll just write-in the name on the key. Thanks!)

Edited by mktye

Help make Jacques and my weekend easier: step up and volunteer to picnic table sit.Ā  Especially all of you who already live across the river.Ā 

Those of you who were at our spring picnic know that part of the success was our site and the amont of space we had.Ā  If we don't watch the space we may loose it, especiall since it is going to be a beautiful day.

Please let Jacques or me know if you can help out.

We are fully subscribed on the table sitting thing. Laniloa and Mktye have stepped up to the plate.

Butts are smoke'n and I'm getting ready to start work on the Martian Pig Slop from Hell. Thanks Rissa and Dave and Tom at Corduroy for the thai peppers.

5 pounds of brisket is braising in southwestern seasonings and chilies. I picked up a ton of tortillas at Moctec too. It's gonna be SPICY, so bring your Pepcid.

Off to Tosca tonight for dinner. Went to Buck's for dinner last night. It's a great weekend culinarily speaking!

Know what's hard? Making mayo after hauling home two big bags of groceries, some beer, and the largest Lodge griddle known to culinary history. Second attempt tomorrow. With the blender.

Edited to realize: I should have just used Miracle Whip. Going for triteness, afterall. Mea culpa.

P.S.: Hey Alton...I think all the acid from the vinegar and lemon juice cooked the egg yolks...it's pudding-like. Or, it was before I flushed it. What's the dilly?

Edited by shogun

I just want to thank everyone who has helped me out behind the scenes getting this together.

A special big thank you to Jacques for everything that he did, from random legal issues to picnic spot grabbing and sitting (make sure you thank him for the view) and Mktye for dealing with all the crap I usually deal with but didn't have the time or patience for like keeping track of who is bringing what and organizing the olive oil tasting. (Those of you who are generously participating should check in with her first when you arrive.) Tomorrow would not be as successful as it will be without you.

If anyone decides at the last minute that they feel like joining please do not hesitate to do so. All are welcome.

See you in about 15 hours.

Know what's hard? Making mayo after hauling home two big bags of groceries, some beer, and the largest Lodge griddle known to culinary history.Ā  Second attempt tomorrow.Ā  With the blender.

In preparation for the picnic, I just bought my first-ever bottle of Miracle Whip (thanks, you can hold the gratuitous applause). The ingenious slit in the lid makes it squeeze out in flat ribbons of tanginess. Can't say it tastes like anything from nature, but there's no blender or wisk necessary. :lol:

I'm laughing out loud about the mayonnaise and Miracle Whip! I think my youngest brother, as a child, would only accept MW, not mayonnaise (could be a false memory, though).

My bag of green beans is in the fridge, along with some stuff from the olive bar at Wegmans. (Mr. S was duly cautioned not to tip those plates in the fridge.)

How will we know one another tomorrow? Will we have name tags? Will they have our screen names or our "real" names (and what is real, anyway?)?

Hope I can sleep tonight--this is like waiting for Santa Claus. :lol:

Tucking the green beans in for the night,

ScotteeM

How will we know one another tomorrow?Ā  Will we have name tags?Ā  Will they have our screen names or our "real" names (and what is real, anyway?)?

Knowing Jacques, there will be a couple of signs (small ones) up marking our spot.

You should feel free to bring name tags but there will not be preprinted ones there. Assuming I remember it there will be a list of our screen names, real names and what you brought. With a few exceptions spouse's names will not be included.

mktye is going to put together an e-cookbook with all the recipes from tomorrow. Keep an eye on the thread for more details.

I forgot to thank Laniloa, who is coming in from NW DC to watch the site for us tomorrow morning, which means she has to cross the bridge twice :lol: (ahem, all you Va. people!)

Knowing Jacques, there will be a couple of signs (small ones) up marking our spot.

You should feel free to bring name tags but there will not be preprinted ones there.Ā  Assuming I remember it there will be a list of our screen names, real names and what you brought.Ā  With a few exceptions spouse's names will not be included.Ā 

mktye is going to put together an e-cookbook with all the recipes from tomorrow.Ā  Keep an eye on the thread for more details.

I forgot to thank Laniloa, who is coming in from NW DC to watch the site for us tomorrow morning, which means she has to cross the bridge twice :lol: (ahem, all you Va. people!)

Wow, what a day it has been. Trip out to the farm for some gutter takedown, a shower with regular soap, and dinner at Corduroy. Now its time to quickly get things ready for cooking in the AM and off to bed. I cannot wait for the picnic tomorrow. Hope everyone come hungry!

You should bring both--see if people can tell the difference!!!

Wish I was going to be there but we're "fingers-crossed" condo shopping this afternoon...

Jennifer

I wish I could be be there right now too but we are condo-packing this afternoon getting it ready to go on the market (you aren't looking in Ashburn by any chance, are you BLB?).

Moving sucks - it's bad enough to be working hard on a beautiful day, but to miss all that food and fun too is extra punishment.

What a great day! The weather was perfect, the setting was peaceful, and the food . . . .

My two complaints were that I got too full and wasn't able to try all of the wonders that were offered, and I wish we had used name tags, with our screen names at least. With so many people there it was a challenge for a first-timer.

I was fading fast, so had Mr. S bring me home early--sorry we couldn't stay longer!

The olive oil tasting was fun, if a little overwhelming, with about 16 to taste. I can't wait to see the key.

Thank you to the organizers--Hillvalley, mktye, Jacques, et al., and to the table-sitters, and to everyone for a memorable afternoon!

I'm already thinking about the next one. :lol:

ScotteeM

What a gorgeous day! Thanks to all the organizers and table sitters.

Favorite items were Mrs B's spring rolls, Epoisses with gorgeous fresh fruit, Crescentfresh's habanero corn bread, Daniel K's mystery beverage :lol: and Al Dente's barbacoa.

My kids were very happy that some cookies came back home with me. :P

Martian pig slop from hell is evil.

Yeah, but damn good. I think we may have found the official DonRockwell.com cocktail.

I know I will expect it, along with your butt, at our next event Jacques.

Speaking of which, anyone want to open their house to 50-60 people sometime around Halloween? :lol::P

Pics coming up in the a.m.

Butts were lovely, and Nadya did indeed seem serviceable.

Thanks to Rocks for the whirligig cheese doohickey, and to Jacques for the cigar which polished off the afternoon beautifully.

I look forward to the next one!

Cigar? You mean I missed a cigar?

ScotteeM :lol: <---meant to represent sunburn

Halloween is my favorite holiday! However, if we gathered at my house, we wouldn't have room to move our arms in order to eat food or drink wine. It just wouldn't be pretty. Plus, the dogs would be barking.

:lol:

ScotteeM

Edited by ScotteeM

Hillvalley did an amazing job bringing this all together.

Someone did ask the frequent question ... "Does Don Rockwell really exist?"

Yes, he was just here a few minutes ago. The usual response.

Also, thanks for arranging for the beautiful day.

Edited by dameedna

Just photos this time:

The EVOO assortment begins to assemble: post-46-1128309651_thumb.jpg Color coordinated jello mold salads (none went in the river. that I know of.) post-46-1128309709_thumb.jpgProtein abounded, including this satay from rvanren's own brazier: post-46-1128309818_thumb.jpg Starfish brought reinforcements to keep us going:post-46-1128309864_thumb.jpg More evoo sampling: post-46-1128310092_thumb.jpg Rocks' Tete de Moines gets butchered by the thingamabob: post-46-1128310355_thumb.jpg And babies! Peanut's second dr.com picnic :lol:post-46-1128310180_thumb.jpg

Edited by crackers

A great day!

As always Mrs JPW and I had a blast. Peanut had so much fun that she was asleep before we made it out of the parking lot. Thanks so much to all the Peanut-sitters that let us roam around a little. Big thanks to Jparrot and starfish for their contributions. Who knew that Nectar would be supporting dr.com from the grave.

What a great day! It was wonderful to see old friends and meet some new ones.

Thanks to everyone for bringing the tasty food, beverages and paper goods (well, the paper goods were not exactly tasty, but they certainly did come in handy). And thank you to the table sitters, JG for making a special, last-minute trip to his storage-unit so the rest of us could enjoy shogun's & mdt's meats, jparrot for his help in covering the tables (even though it was over-thought), CrescentFresh for picking up (and slicing!) all the baguettes for the EVOO tasting and whoever it was who so sweetly brought some flowers for the tables.

Also a big thanks to those who brought the EVOO to be tasted:

DonRocks

crackers

mdt

JPW

CrescentFresh

ScotteeM (who brought two!)

Al Dente

hillvalley

goldenticket

hm212

Ferhat

Mrs. B (who also brought two, including a fantastic, fruity California oil)

and last, but not least, Camille-Beau for sharing the very special Manni EVOOs

We did not score the oils, so there were no "winners". But the ones I kept hearing people say they liked best were the Wegmans "Tuscan Style", the Pompeian and the Olio Beato (hillvalley picked up this one her favorite farmer's market). A lot of folks also really enjoyed the Trader Joe's Black Truffle that crackers so kindly contributed.

For those who missed out on which sample was which, here it is again:

Sample 1 ā€“ Carm Grande Escolha

Sample 2 ā€“ Trader Joe's ā€œKalamataā€

Sample 3 ā€“ Olio Beato

Sample 4 ā€“ Wegmans "Puglia Style""

Sample 5 ā€“ Sasso

Sample 6 ā€“ Trader Joe's ā€œBlack Truffleā€

Sample 7 ā€“ Bertolli

Sample 8 ā€“ Marmarbirilik

Sample 9 ā€“ Pompeian

Sample 10 ā€“ Mas de Gourgonnier

Sample 11 ā€“ Trader Joe's

Sample 12 ā€“ Bella Famiglia

Sample 13 ā€“ Trader Joe's Organic

Sample 14 ā€“ Carapelli

Sample 15 ā€“ Wegmans "Tuscan Style"

Sample 16 ā€“ Filipo Berio

(And, after two DR.com picnics, I am now a Ventworm. :lol: )

Edited by mktye

Okay, before you all forget what you did to make that dish you brought to the picnic extra special... we are gathering the recipes to compile into an easily downloadable and printable collection.

So if you are willing to share your picnic dish recipe, please go to here.

Yeah, but damn good.Ā  I think we may have found the official DonRockwell.com cocktail.

I know I will expect it, along with your butt, at our next event Jacques.Ā 

Count my vote in.

ā€œCease the day!ā€ā€”Or should I say, ā€œCease the food!ā€ What a wonderful and pleasant day yesterday (I ended up playing ā€œhookyā€ for a while longer)! So much food, such a tiny stomach I have! I regret not being able to try everything. I tried to do the fashionable way of eating in multiple courses: meat, vegetable, starch course, followed by fruit and cheese course, dessert course, extra olive oil tasting course, then back to meat, vegetable, starch course, followed by fruit and cheese course, dessert course, more olive oil tasting (this time the high-end stuff elegantly boxed), until I gave up! :lol: We decided to conduct our olive oil tasting by rating the vintage, appellation, color (from light straw color to deeper olive green), smell, taste (mild, bitter, straw, grass, strong olive taste, fruity, truffle), body (light, medium, heavy, waxy?) By then our tongues were heavily coated, try swirling it in your mouth. It was quite fun and informative.

Thank you hillvalley, mktye, Jacques Gastreaux, table sitters and ALL for making it possible.

It was GREAT the second time around! :P

It was wonderful indeed!

The folks, the food and the day. Superb.

and the Martian pig slop from hell.........was heavenly.

Thanks for posting the recipe, its going to make all the fire loving Indians at my next get together very very happy, hic.

looking forward to the next one!