There is also the whole Sakura chain.

We went to the Olney location in June for my niece's 10th birthday (seemed like a theme in the restaurant that night). The food was certainly better than Benihana, however, the night was ruined for my wife when the chef started throwing pieces of shrimp at those gathered around the table, she waved him off, and he threw it anyway. She has issues with food being thrown at people.

I've been to three in the area:

1) Benihana in the Georgetown area - Don't remember much. Only went once and it was a large group and well... not many of us remember much about that evening :-)
2) Matsutake (Crystal City) - Passable. I've been a couple times and wasn't wowwed and it wasn't horrible (which seems to be typically what I say about most japanese steak houses).
3) Tokyo Japanese Steak House (Old Town-ish Alexandria) - We've been here a number of times but usually just sit in the sushi area and get sushi. We've sat at the hibachi's once or twice, and it was pretty much like most other japanese steak houses I've been to.

I've been to three in the area:

1) Benihana in the Georgetown area - Don't remember much. Only went once and it was a large group and well... not many of us remember much about that evening :-)

2) Matsutake (Crystal City) - Passable. I've been a couple times and wasn't wowwed and it wasn't horrible (which seems to be typically what I say about most japanese steak houses).

3) Tokyo Japanese Steak House (Old Town-ish Alexandria) - We've been here a number of times but usually just sit in the sushi area and get sushi. We've sat at the hibachi's once or two and it was pretty much like most other japanese steak houses I've been too.

We were actually at the Tokyo Japanese Steak House just last night. And it was fine...and remarkably like all the others of the same ilk I've been to in various towns across the country. The kids LOVE it (and were the ones who chose the restaurant last night). It's easy with a group. Among the middle school crowd, it's a favorite for birthday parties. I really like the location at TJSH. It's right on the Potomac on the far far north end of Old Town. Parking is easily available and whole waterfront area there is quite well done.

Just a note from the Montgomery County side.

There is a Benihana in Bethesda too. Went once with a large group, it was okay not memorable good or bad. Could be entertaining for the kids.

There is a japanese steakhouse right outside the Rio shopping center off 370  [This is probably Ziki Steakhouse. DR]. Never been nor have I heard anything good or bad, but there is one in Gaithersburg.

Let me know if anyone has been.

Thanks for the feedback. Not having seen these suggestions since I was away from my computer, I ended up at the Tokyo Japanese Steakhouse anyway. Very much a family oriented place, with lots of kids, but it proved to be ok since everyone left at like 8:30, leaving our party the only ones in the restaurant past 9.

Food was...eh. everything was quite salty, lobster was overcooked, nothing worth returning for, especially considering the price.

There's a new Japanese sushi/ steakhouse opening soon in the Fox Chase shopping center on Duke St., Alexandria. Hanoi Sushi and Steakhouse?? Not sure of the name.

Hana Tokyo is the name and they were cooking away last night when I drove by. I think it has been there for quite some time, but with the renovation everything looks new smile.gif

Good to hear someone else's opinion about TJSH, Darth Tater. As I said, we've only eaten at the hibachi once or two and weren't overly wowed (though I don't remember it being all that bad either), but we do get there fairly often for sushi since it's nearish to where my GF works and we like it better than the other sushi place in Old Town.

If you mean the on that's upstairs on the 200 block of King Street, I noticed the other day that it has closed. I never ate there and don't remember what it was called.

If you mean Momo's (on Queen St. next door to Bilbo Baggins) - how is it?

I wasn't aware of either of those places. I was referring to a newish place, Flying Fish [Closed Apr, 2014] is the name maybe?

If you mean the on that's upstairs on the 200 block of King Street, I noticed the other day that it has closed. I never ate there and don't remember what it was called.

Many, many years ago, Jlock and I ate there. It was his first time eating sushi. If we were not at such an early stage in our relationship, I don't think I would have ever been able to convince him to eat sushi again (an opinion certainly warrented by the "food" we were served). Luckily, he did, and now sushi is one of his favorite foods.

My son loves teppanyaki so we go all the time. I think he likes the fire more than the food.

In Gaithersburg there's always Tokyo Lighthouse [Closed. DR]. Went to Ziki's and didn't like it as much as Sakura. The best show is Sakura, but quality was bad at the Germantown location last time we went. Service was bad too. The Olney branch is better. Benihana in Bethesda stopped doing the fun part of the shows. No more fire, flames, throwing food, etc. Now all they do is cook the food in front of you--big deal. We're not going back. The absolute best show and atmosphere was the Sakura in Annapolis. Lots of fun. Beware of thrown food--my wife got a shrimp stuck in her eyeball once. To top off this memorable night, the chef threw an egg up in the air, he missed it, and it splatted right on my wife's plate. He laughed and tried to wipe it away but her food was very "eggy" after that. rolleyes.gif

Sakura does take reservations, but will not seat you unless your entire party is present.  Place is big, and they get you seated, cook and out of there pretty quickly. Double your mileage limit (19) but an easy drive on the Toll Road is Nagoya. They take reservations, are in Ashburn, and have been there almost 20 years. We have probably been there 30 times. Kids love it, tables seat 10 and it is more calm and less rushed than Sakura. I think Sakura has ~20 locations, Nagoya 1.