CajunJason

Flippin' Pizza, A California Chain in Several Area Locations

63 posts in this topic

I was driving through the South Lakes Shopping Center earlier tonight, and noticed that Seafoodie has closed.

In it's place is now "Flippin' Pizza" (complete with image of tossed pizza dough in mid air), which offers "A Slice of New York" according to the sign. Doubt it's as good as Tony's in Fair Lakes, or Church St in Vienna. Anybody been yet?

I was driving through the South Lakes Shopping Center earlier tonight, and noticed that Seafoodie has closed.

In it's place is now "Flippin' Pizza" (complete with image of tossed pizza dough in mid air), which offers "A Slice of New York" according to the sign. Doubt it's as good as Tony's in Fair Lakes, or Church St in Vienna. Anybody been yet?

No surprise about Seafoodie. I always wanted to but never tried it - for the simple reason that everytime I went in to peruse the offerings the display case was mostly bare save for a few sad looking shrimp. This may be a good sign for some (high turnover?) but I always assumed the worst - low turnover and poor quality. However, I did hear that Seafoodie's "famous" crabcakes are now being sold at area Whole Foods.

Enough about the departed. I live across the lake from South Lakes Shopping Center and plan to try Flippin Pizza this weekend with my stepkids. We are fans of Tony's and the Italian Store, so it has a fairly high bar to meet. I'll report back.

The crust is average. The toppings mildly better. Did like the old school small circle pepperoni. However, it's over priced.

Church Pizza is much better. And American Flatbread is the best of the lot.

There's a Flippin' Pizza about to open in Annandale, in the same shopping center where the Whole Foods used to be.

Their website really pushes the New York aspect of their pizza, but from what I can see, it appears to be a California-based chain.

Cheers,

Rocks

There's a Flippin' Pizza about to open in Annandale, in the same shopping center where the Whole Foods used to be.

Their website really pushes the New York aspect of their pizza, but from what I can see, it appears to be a California-based chain.

Cheers,

Rocks

The Annandale location opened this week, the third new restaurant to open in Pinecrest Shopping Center during the past month (giving Foxfire Grill some much-needed competition).

I tried Flippin' Pizza a few weeks ago out of curiosity. I won't be back, it was quite horrendous.

The interior of the restaurant is riddled with signage of stereotypical New York "wiseguy" schtick, example "You wanna piece of of me?" [pizza] or "I'm gonna make you a pizza you can't refuse."

sigh.

The pizza is bland & dry, the crust tastes like the dough is probably frozen- very poor quality ingredients. Dominoes is better, although I'd much rather drive to Tony's in Fair Lakes or Church Street in Vienna.

In Bethesda, at the Old Georgetown Rd and Democracy Blvd shopping center [w/Giant, DSW & Hamburger Hamlet] there's a sign in one of the interior spaces with the mid-air pizza. Bummer that the early reports are so dim.

This location is still at the dry-wall stage.

I tried Flippin' Pizza a few weeks ago out of curiosity. I won't be back, it was quite horrendous.

The interior of the restaurant is riddled with signage of stereotypical New York "wiseguy" schtick, example "You wanna piece of of me?" [pizza] or "I'm gonna make you a pizza you can't refuse."

sigh.

The pizza is bland & dry, the crust tastes like the dough is probably frozen- very poor quality ingredients. Dominoes is better, although I'd much rather drive to Tony's in Fair Lakes or Church Street in Vienna.

Their dough is fresh and made in house.

Let me guess: you ordered a slice not a whole pie. The whole pie is a very good neighborhood pizza. But ONLY a whole pie. The slice could have had the whole day to "mature."

Their dough is fresh and made in house.

Let me guess: you ordered a slice not a whole pie. The whole pie is a very good neighborhood pizza. But ONLY a whole pie. The slice could have had the whole day to "mature."

HMMM. My experience has been limited. I've been in twice to get slices for takeout, and both slices were quite fresh and quite wonderful. On the other hand, I'm not a pizza snob...

In any case, I see there's a space on Broad St in Falls Church announcing a soon to come branch.

In any case, I see there's a space on Broad St in Falls Church announcing a soon to come branch.

Looks like one is opening in Chantilly next to the Shoppers.

Looks like one is opening in Chantilly next to the Shoppers.
Also on Colesville in downtown SS next to the Qdoba and M&T bank in the building just south of Georgia that had Carolina Kitchen in it before the fire.

Got a whole pie with pepperoni, sausage, onions, and garlic. I only ate 3 slices and the rest of the pizza is sitting in my car (I've left the sunroof open and the windows cracked, all in the hopes that when I go home after work, the car won't smell too strong). I think the pizza is pretty good, as good as Church St. Pizza. They use small pepperoni (I prefer big slices of pepperoni that gets crunchy during the baking process). I personally like Flippin more than Pietanza.

Ate there for lunch today; $5.50 for any 2 slices and a soda is a pretty decent price.

It was good, not great. It's definitely a NY style pie. The dough is fresh, and the pie was well cooked with good char and blister. However, they rise the dough in water, not oil, so the crust is too dry. Sauce was fine; not sweet, which is good, but could have been a bit spicier. Toppings were fine though unexceptional.

Still need to get to Church Street for a comparison, but I'd certainly go back here, though I think JoeH's advice to get a whole pie rather than a slice is spot on. Plenty of parking in back.

Got takeout (from the Falls Church location) last night. Really just wanted to write the following -

Eh.

However, knowing that would be inadequate for this board, I'll elaborate by saying that I got "The Bronx" - basically a "supreme" pizza (veggies, sausage, pepperoni). Got a whole pie as per Joe's recommendation. The crust was good - appropriately thin (I'm a fan of NY style pizza), and with good flavor. Toppings were less impressive. The sausage was sliced (it may be just me, but I prefer chunks), the veggies had an odd, almost marinated flavor, and the cheese was a bit, I don't know, "weird," kind of like there was a little cheddar thrown in or something. All, in all, I didn't hate it, but I didn't love it, either. In sum, "eh."

The Centreville location just opened and I had a coupon for two free slizes with the purchase of a drink. I agree with the post above.

eh.

I had a slice of peperoni and sausage and a slice of some kind of white pizza with ricotta. The second slice was probably better but I would classify both as adequate. Tony's and Ciro's are both better.

I think I saw a sign for Flippin' Pizza in Bethesda next door to Hamburger Hamlet/Chipotle.

I think I saw a sign for Flippin' Pizza in Bethesda next door to Hamburger Hamlet/Chipotle.

And I saw one the other day near the Metro in Silver Spring.

Also on Colesville in downtown SS next to the Qdoba and M&T bank in the building just south of Georgia that had Carolina Kitchen in it before the fire.

And I saw one the other day near the Metro in Silver Spring.

Yes, you did. :rolleyes:

Flippin Pizza has won the Washingtonian blog thingy for DC's best pizza. Maybe it's just me, but I don't think it deserves the honor, would have better gone to 2Amys or Ledo's or half a dozen other places..

Anyway I guess congratulations are in order for them, (even if they rigged the vote, like many people are claiming). So, Flippin', congratulations.

I had to go see for myself, I was thoroughly unimpressed, but I am snobby about pizza.

Here are some pictures-

post-2926-125261089537_thumb.jpg

post-2926-125261430387_thumb.jpg

post-2926-125261430493_thumb.jpg

Lots of places were trying to "rig" the vote. I was getting e-mail from Pete's urging me to vote them (which I did, to no avail), and I'm sure every pizza place with a website, mailing list or front door to tape a message to was doing the same thing.