Photo

Rice Paper, Vietnamese in Eden Center - Charming Interior with Dangerously Classic Dishes

Falls Church Eden Center Vietnamese Duck Testicles

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 ktmoomau

ktmoomau

leviathan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 03:46 PM

Did not see a thread on this new addition to the Eden Center. Went there yesterday for lunch with a group of Chowhounders. We had a delicious meal with a ton of food. We ordered:

Grilled shrimp and pork skewers with steamed vermicelli

Whole crispy flounder with mango salad and ginger sauce

Baby clams baked in clay pot with rice

Grilled pork chop and sweet Chinese sausage on broken rice

Marinated quails

Garden rolls (called steam rice paper rolls on the menu)

Baby clams with pork served with rice cracker

My favorites were the whole fish, which was a huge, but really good dish. I lived the difference between the crispy, flaky fish and the tangy, sour salad. It was really nice. I also really liked the broken rice dish, the sausage and pork chops on it were marinated well and really tasty. The baked clams in the clay pot were preferable to the rice cracker ones, I think a bit moister, or maybe it was just the sauce with the salty clams and crispy rice. The shrimp were also good. All in all there weren't any misses, although the garden rolls could be skipped they were fine, but normal. It is a very pretty little space, and we really enjoyed the food.

It was also nice to hang out with some very nice and cool people from this area with such great food knowledge, always a plus. I know some are on here too, and it is always so nice to put a face with a name.

But I learned fast how to keep my head up 'cause I
Know I got this side of me that
Wants to grab the yoke from the pilot and just
Fly the whole mess into the sea. The Shins
www.rrbmdk.com
www.katelintaylor.com

#2 DonRocks

DonRocks

leviathan

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,437 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 03:58 PM

Exercise extreme caution in ordering #18. Gỏi Vịt [Sweet tender Duck meat on top of shredded banana blossom and morning glory]

{Those little egg-shaped things?}
{Well, let's just put it this way...}
{they aren't pieces of Mango.}

dcdining.com - Restaurant Reviews - Facebook <--- LIKE Meeeeeeee! Twitter <--- FOLLOW Meeeeeeee!

If you're a member here, please Friend me personally on Facebook (send me a message with your screen name, please, so I know which member you are!)

#3 ktmoomau

ktmoomau

leviathan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 04:21 PM

Hahahahahha. Good to know.

www.rrbmdk.com
www.katelintaylor.com

#4 ktmoomau

ktmoomau

leviathan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 12:40 PM

Went back today with Hubby and BIL. We had pho and some vermicelli dishes for brunch. We also had some crispy spring rolls. The spring rolls were super fresh, just fried, but not too oily, I love eating them in a bite with the pickled carrots.

I had vermicelli with shrimp, pork, shredded pork and spring roll (didn't know Hubby was ordering spring rolls when I ordered but hey extra crispy spring rolls never a bad thing). But their shrimp have great flavor, I love the sauce they grill them with. Really good. All in all very good mix of veg/noodle/protein in the bowl. BIL's pho looked really good and a girl nearby had one of the lemongrass noodle soups and that looked ridiculously good in an I ordered the wrong thing kind of way.

We got there around 11:15ish, it wasn't packed, but there were some people there with bowls of noodle soups and other dishes, but it got busier as the lunch time approached. I think this is a Vietnamese place I will be able to convince Hubby to come back to a good bit as they had a nice range of interesting v. normal dishes. The servers are very nice they came over to make sure everything was good and were really nice and thorough with refills, or anything else.

www.rrbmdk.com
www.katelintaylor.com

#5 Ericandblueboy

Ericandblueboy

Boo Boo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,194 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 02:33 PM

For lunch, we had

40. Cơm Tay Cầm Hến $10 - Baby Clams baked in a Clay Pot with rice and vegetables. The rice is crispy like a bibimbap, but the clams and unrecognizable vegetables (all were chopped into small pieces) have very little flavor. Add Sriracha and it becomes edible, but still nothing that excites me.

54. Bún Thịt Nướng $8 - Grilled Pork on rice vermicelli. Good pork but no different than what you'd get a other Vietnamese restaurants.

108. Ox Tail soup with mixed Vegetables - $15. Good soup with a good amount of oxtail, tendons, and vegetables (mostly bokchoy, napa cabbage and straw mushrooms).

An attractive restaurant with a relative small menu for "entrees." I like orderng lots of entrees and eating family style and this place is more of a noodle/rice type of place. At least that's my impression.

#6 dcandohio

dcandohio

ventworm

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 08:22 AM

I very much enjoyed the baby clams and pork from the appetizer menu. This was, to my tastes, one of the best versions of the dish I've had. We also really liked the mango salad with dried fish. Unfortunately, menu description did not list dried shrimp. +1 is allergic, but they were easy enough to avoid. Like Eric, I thought the grilled pork on vermicelli was fine, just not too exciting.

We arrived a little before noon on Saturday, and by noon it was packed. The noise in there is deafening. There are a lot of hard surfaces in there, and many babies exercising their lungs.

I would definitely return, perhaps at an off hour to enjoy the food in a more quiet atmosphere. The walk to Eden Center from the E. Falls Church metro is the perfect way to burn some calories prior to lunch, and yesterday's lovely weather made the walk very pleasant.

Shut up and pour another glass of wine, please.

#7 goodeats

goodeats

Certified geek.

• Calendar Girl
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 02:04 PM

Menu.

I am intrigued - $20 Tuesday anyone? The staff at Banh Mi So #1 were enthusiastically talking this place up last night...

---

Click me!
DR

Edited by DonRocks, 31 May 2012 - 07:06 PM.

Taste. Feel. Be comforted.

Am not a fan of finding out that I started a new topic...

Oh ply me with barley,
Or ply me with rye,
Just don't expect to hear
A coherent goodbye.

Twitter

#8 Ericandblueboy

Ericandblueboy

Boo Boo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,194 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 08:34 PM

Went there for an early lunch today and ordered their bun bu hue (I tried to order the bun rieu oc but the waiter made some gestures that implied that was not available) and #123 do bien rang muoi - crispy salted and spiced assorted seafood. First, the bun bo hue was really good in my opinion - two slices of pork trotter (with skin and all, which I didn't eat), slices of thinly sliced beef brisket, a cube of pork blood (didn't eat - I've never liked cubes of blood by themselves), a slice of delicious fish cake, a tasty seafood ball (can't tell what kind but it was pinkish), a hunk of tendon, all immersed in the most flavorful broth that I tried thus far (which is pretty much every place in Eden Center) and with a decent amount of heat. Don't be afraid to dump all the veggies (bean sprouts, cabbage, mint, basil, and whatever else they give you - I don't use lime though) into the hot broth and let everything cook for a little while. As I was finishing the noodle soup, the assorted seafood arrived. I would've preferred to have the dish served earlier (i.e., before I stuff myself silly with noodles) but they didn't ask how I like to be served (some places do ask if I order both noodles and an entree). Immediately I see some squid and shrimp, but I couldn't tell what the rest of the seafood was. After eating at least half the plate, I think there might be some pieces of scallops, and at least two kinds of fish/seafood ball/cake. The batter was a little thick and if you were just looking for salt/pepper squid, I say go to Huong Viet. On the other hand, if you want to try a plate of mystery seafood that was nevertheless pretty good, then order this dish. The shrimp were also a bit overcooked - I suspect because not everything on the plate should be fried for the same amount of time. The photo sucks - I've been taking photos with my Blackberry.

Attached Thumbnails

• salt pepper seafood combo.jpg

#9 Sthitch

Sthitch

Qui Nihil Sum

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,136 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 10:24 AM

I would never had expected that the best stuffed grape leaves that I would eat would be from a Vietnamese restaurant (actually, these were the first stuff grape leaves that I have ever liked). The dish is Bo Nuong La Nho, and is completely unlike a dolmade in that they were stuffed with seasoned beef. The only reason we could think of for grape leaves showing up on a Vietnamese table would be from the French influence, but I could not think of any French dishes using grape leaves - I am sure they exist, I am just not aware of them. But now I suspect that the dish is actually Bo La Lot using grape leaves in place of the harder to find betel leaves.

#10 Ericandblueboy

Ericandblueboy

Boo Boo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,194 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 12:07 PM

Other dishes we had were Oc Nhoi, an escargot sausage that tasted like boudin blanc.  It was really good when dipped in a slightly spicy fish sauce.  We also had the Hen Xuc Banh Da - baby clams with minced pork, and Ca Kho To - caramalized fish.  I didn't particularly like the the clams here (loved them when I had them at Nha Trang before grandma passed away) and the fish was just too sweet for me, and it was coated with lots of ground black pepper.  

Attached Thumbnails

• escargot sausage.jpg

#11 goodeats

goodeats

Certified geek.

• Calendar Girl
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 03:49 PM

After a chilly 4-inning, coach-pitch baseball game, all little man and I wanted was noodle soup. At first, I wanted pho, but I can't recall where to go for pho at Eden Center (closest to where his game was held), that didn't serve beef stock as their pho base.

So, I thought this would be a good place, as the menu is so versatile. I was initially disappointed to find out that the Chicken pho could not be substituted with a non-beef stock, but then the lovely female server directed me to page 11 (see above menu link) to other types of noodle soups.

We ended up splitting the Hủ Tiếu hoặc Mì Tôm Thịt ($8), which was noodles with/without soup and choice of egg or clear noodles with sliced roast pork and shrimp. We chose clear noodles with soup, and it really hit the spot (even with the roast pork slices a bit tough to chew).

I am never disappointed here and we left satiated and happy.

Taste. Feel. Be comforted.

Am not a fan of finding out that I started a new topic...

Oh ply me with barley,
Or ply me with rye,
Just don't expect to hear
A coherent goodbye.

Twitter

#12 ktmoomau

ktmoomau

leviathan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 06:31 PM

I have been craving this place recently.

www.rrbmdk.com
www.katelintaylor.com

#13 DonRocks

DonRocks

leviathan

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,437 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 06:36 PM

I have been craving this place recently.

Well, it’s not far from you. :)

dcdining.com - Restaurant Reviews - Facebook <--- LIKE Meeeeeeee! Twitter <--- FOLLOW Meeeeeeee!

If you're a member here, please Friend me personally on Facebook (send me a message with your screen name, please, so I know which member you are!)

#14 ktmoomau

ktmoomau

leviathan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 01:28 PM

Well, it’s not far from you. :)

I know!  But right now I am swamped with work, taking care of the dog while Matthew is on travel for work and coordinating everything for Scottish Walk Weekend and then trying to help my Mom with a big project.  It sounds easy- just get in the car and go, it seems like a very easy thing to do.  I actually have been craving Out the Door (Slanted Door) but since I can't just hop to SF, and Rice Paper I think is the closest thing to their food.  I am surprised there aren't more posts on it actually. 

www.rrbmdk.com
www.katelintaylor.com

#15 belowparallel

belowparallel

shrimp

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 10:30 AM

I don't think I can do anything here but add to the chorus of good things to say about Rice Paper. Inexpensive, extraordinarily flavors, lots of interesting dishes to try you would not get at an ordinary Vietnamese restaurant. Everything we had here was excellent, although the Gà Xào Xã Ớt [Chicken sauteed with Lemongrass & Curry Chili] was easily the standout.

HIGHLY recommended. 

#16 ktmoomau

ktmoomau

leviathan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 01:26 PM

A friend of mine from Nashville was up in this area, she loves Thai food, and I want to get her into Vietnamese food, purely for my own selfish reasons as she is moving back up to this area.  So, of course, I took her to Rice Paper because who could not love Vietnamese food after that.  And the plan worked.  There was a line when we got there, but it moved very quickly and we had a seat in no time.  

I got hot tea, she got coconut water.  We ordered Cha Gio, ever so slightly different Cha Gio Rice Paper, Nem Nuong for appetizers.  I would have preferred fresh garden rolls, but she doesn't really prefer shrimp.  The Cha Gio Rice Paper has a tiny bit better flavor of seafood to me with fish sauce I just prefer it, but both were good.  The Nem Nuong were good, and we really liked their dipping sauce, not sure what it was, garlic and...  For entrees I got Pho Ga as I just wanted something simple and light.  I love Pho Ga, it's kind of the ideal sick soup, but good any other time too.  I like the different spices from traditional chicken noodle.  The star anise, thai basil, etc.  The Pho Ga here has a great broth, that I could literally just drink by itself.  Which means you really couldn't screw up the noodles, which were also good.  Traditional accompaniments and plenty of chicken in there.  My friend had Com Bo Luc Lac I believe.  Rice with beef, carmelized onions, etc.  I had a bite and it was delicious and a good choice for her as it was really approachable.  Definitely can convince her to do it again.  

www.rrbmdk.com
www.katelintaylor.com

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Falls Church, Eden Center, Vietnamese, Duck Testicles

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users