Rogue 24, Blagden Alley in Mount Vernon Square - 2007 James Beard Winner RJ Cooper Departs on Dec 31, 2015 - Closed Jan 15, 2016

It is really shocking that we can't get but a few to walk down the alley and experience some of the most exciting food and beverage in the city. Dara Jimenez has indeed taken the service to new levels.

Bryan has some of the best cocktails in the area. journey menu for 125 bucks. $5.21 per course.......hmmmm math this is old math simple division not this new math that the twins are learning.  The jaunt menu 70 bucks per person 12 courses. That $5.83 per course....

The SpiritsBar is 44 bucks for 4 drinks and 4 bites. That is just over 5 bucks for a hand crafted cocktail and a tasting plate.

So here is the fall menu. If  you all make a reservation though the website or call. And mention your a member of the Rockwell gang. We or I will institute the 10% industry discount on the menus.

1.     smoked preserved tomato ice/pickled green tomato/jalapeno/sea urchin
2.     kelp laver
3.     beer yeast meringue/crème fraiche/ossetra caviar
4.     celeriac/apple skin/meadow sorrel/coriander bouillon
5.     whipped pigs tail/dehydrated cabbage/mustard seeds
6.     marrow mousse/pickled turnip/celery leaves
7.     rolled oat cracker/venison/wild blueberry preserves
8.     scallop/dashi/finger lime
9.     raw goat/spiced pumpkin/indian lime
10.   yogurt/black sesame/shisho/preserved plum
11.   smoked cucumber/baby lettuces/charred sepia bouillon
12.   wild brook trout roe/forbidden rice/turnip
13.   basil snail/potato/garlic
14.   foie gras/black walnut/quince/spicy herbs
15.   squab/persimmon/beet/pistachio/spice bush
16.   bouillon of pastured animals/smoked beef fat/lobster legs
17.   beluga lentils/vealtendon/mascarpone
18.   abalone/path valley beans/mashua/black vinegar
19.   charred coulotte/many onions
20.   goat's cheese/tiny radish/pumpernickel
21.  coconut/yuzu/basil/lime
22.  caramel/fig/porcini/honey
23.  chocolate/cinnamon/malt/coffee
24.   happy endings

Hope to see you all soon

• Like 5

So here is the fall menu. If  you all make a reservation though the website or call. And mention your a member of the Rockwell gang. We or I will institute the 10% industry discount on the menus.

At just over $5 per course, I want to remind folks that Rogue 24 is still listed in Bold in the Dining Guide.

When "The Hungry Detective" Chris Cognac was in town, I sent him to Rogue 24, and he said it "was the most amazing meal of my life."

It's beyond me why this restaurant isn't generally accepted as one of the best in DC, if not the country, but I think that says more about our restaurant critics than the restaurant.

Hell, since this discount applies to everyone on the website, I'm going to go ahead and take advantage of it myself (I only accept discounts when they apply to all members).

• Like 3

It's beyond me why this restaurant isn't generally accepted as one of the best in DC, if not the country, but I think that says more about our restaurant critics than the restaurant.

It's not the critics, it's the public at large. And maybe the concept.

I think the problem, for most diners, is a perception of inaccessibility. It's location in an obscure alley may have a little to do with that, but it goes a bit deeper. What goes on the plate is some of the most interesting and artful food anywhere, bordering on genius. But the experience as a whole may leave some a bit cold. The atmosphere is fairly stark, with none of the luxury of CityZen or the quirky charm of Rose's Luxury. The menu, with its terse descriptions and unfamiliar ingredients, doesn't capture your imagination. Even the initial concept "“ a 24 course meal meant to take you on a "journey" "“ probably didn't appeal to most diners at that price point, who'd rather have a vacation.

My meal at Rogue 24 was the most interesting I had last year, but not my favorite. The first course seemed fussy and bland, only revealing its brilliance with later courses as the meal built on its themes. The result was a symphony of sorts "“ far more cerebral than Minibar, which goes for novelty and shock value; far less comforting than Komi, where refinement ultimately gives way to an orgy of meat. The service revealed itself slowly too, growing friendlier as the night progressed. In the end, my guest and I felt like insiders. It was a great experience. Still, the most enjoyable meal I had last year was at a tiny tasting-menu-only BYOB in Philly, Farm and Fisherman. Owned by a husband and wife team, it was welcoming, delicious, and an amazing bargain. It's the kind of place I'd go again and again. Though I'm happy to have experienced Rogue 24, I wasn't inspired to rush back for another "journey."

The new a la carte menu changes the paradigm, making the restaurant a bit more accessible. But it's still a moderately expensive proposition for a full dinner. I'd love it if there were a welcoming bar at the front, where I could stop in for some of the excellent cocktails and graze around the menu without feeling like I'm taking up space. But it's just not that kind of restaurant. Gypsy Soul is.

• Like 4

Hell, since this discount applies to everyone on the website, I'm going to go ahead and take advantage of it myself (I only accept discounts when they apply to all members).

I completely agree with you, Don! I've been waiting for the right time (and menu) to return to Rogue for the full experience. My first visit was under the care of Ryan Moore, who was chef de cuisine at the time. It still stands out of one of my most memorable meals.

I'm eager to return!

The new a la carte menu changes the paradigm, making the restaurant a bit more accessible. But it's still a moderately expensive proposition for a full dinner. I'd love it if there were a welcoming bar at the front, where I could stop in for some of the excellent cocktails and graze around the menu without feeling like I'm taking up space. But it's just not that kind of restaurant. Gypsy Soul is.

I was about to post 'Is it wrong of me to want a smaller number of courses in bigger portions that I can choose here?' when I read this.

Finally an a la carte menu. This may indeed hasten my return. One of my issues with the 12 or 24 (or however many) course tasting menu concept is that it's great...once. Or even a few times. Even people who dine this way a lot get palate fatigue. The one dinner I have had here was really great, mostly, but despite the low cost per course cost, I am not really sure I want 24 or even 12 courses. These days, 5, maybe 6 is what I want at most.

Quite a bit of what is posted on their website as (a sample? current?) a la carte menu is drool worthy.

We (R24) are adding some fantastic dining options and have decided that we (R24) don't want to be an elitist restaurant, that people believe it is just for special occasions.

So starting next week, we will be enlisting new menus: 3 course menu with options to choose, a 5 course menu with options to choose with our Jaunt and Journey menus.

3 courses: 45.24

5 courses: 65.24

Let the games begin.

• Like 2

We (R24) are adding some fantastic dining options and have decided that we (R24) don't want to be an elitist restaurant, that people believe it is just for special occasions.

So starting next week, we will be enlisting new menus: 3 course menu with options to choose, a 5 course menu with options to choose with our Jaunt and Journey menus.

3 courses: 45.24

5 courses: 65.24

Let the games begin.

Correct to assume these new menus aren't replacing the existing full 24 and 16 (?) course options?  Assuming that's right, this strikes me as a great move.  I think it should make R24 more accessible for more people and hopefully really drive growth for the biz in 2015.

Now if you can just get Gypsy Soul up to a similar standard on service and kitchen execution!

Best of luck, RJ. Great stuff here.

Here is a link to the menus at rogue 24........we have started to do 24 menus of rogue 24 meaning the menu changes every other week.

http://www.rogue24.com/downloads/rogue24-menu_3course_5course.pdf

The alley, why can people walk down for a small3 dollar coffee, but the house next door is doing some of the best and most creative food int the city if not the east coast.

Hmmmm and $44.00 for 4 drinks and 4 bites is a steal, again Bryan crafts cocktails that are above and beyond. He is so above the bar. (figuratively).

Value?  This is value.

The new Journey menu  in stars the Jaunt.

pickled rose petal/violet powder/paper

*smoked gazpacho/hot oyster crema

sour cream & beer yeast meringue/tennessee caviar

tazmanian sea trout skin/smoked trout/little eggs/wild dill

*whipped pigs tail/dehydrated cabbage/mustard seeds

marrow mousse/pickle puffs/apple skin powder

rolled oat cracker/venison/wild blueberry preserves

gin cocktail

sea urchin/mango gazpacho/avocado/coconut/puffed rice

*traviso/blood orange/beets/begonia/yogurt

*kushi oysters/smoked cucumber pearls/yuzu-sake air

sake

foie gras custard/quince/apple/cranberry/granola                                                              

cháteau doisy daní«/cru classe/sauterne/barsac/fr/'11

*dover sole/spinach/brown butter/lemon/croutons/capers

*smoked cucumber/squid jerky/ice lettuces/apple/charred sepia broth

sea cucumber/bone marrow/cipollini/wild rice/buffalo butter nage                                         

white burgundy

coffee cured beef/clover/buttermilk sponge/crustacean emulsion

*mascarpone-smoked potato agnolotti/mangalista ham broth/runny egg

pinot

*rich broth of squab/liver/truffle/dehydrated nasturtium & flowers

squab/pine nut milk/lion's mane/soy nut/raisin/turnip tops

*beef short rib/beluga lentils/syrah infused mascarpone/veal tendon

Australian syrah

*parmesan pudding/dehydrated black truffle sponge/artichokes

*lemongrass/mint/basil

banana/butterscotch/walnut/bourbon

*chocolate/hazelnut/coffee part deux

sineann/"the precious"/gewí¼rztraminer/newberg/or/'13

*happy endings/little things/small bites

Here is a link to the menus at rogue 24........we have started to do 24 menus of rogue 24 meaning the menu changes every other week.

The alley, why can people walk down for a small3 dollar coffee, but the house next door is doing some of the best and most creative food int the city if not the east coast.

I have had Rogue 24 ranked in Bold ever since the second time I went there (and the second time was a mere formality).

This is one of only a handful of truly great restaurants in the DC area.

• Like 2

Matt and I had our belated Valentine's meal last night at Rogue24.  First off, it wasn't very crowded, and I love the space.  It's very cool.  We sat in the lounge and had cocktails then were seated in what I thought was the best seat in the house for dinner, watching the kitchen.  This place is like cooking in the round.  Watching is as much fun as eating.  Matt accidentally ordered a non-alcoholic cocktail, but the hostess had them add alcohol to it after I said something.  The service was really outstanding.  We did have to wait for cocktail number 2, but they were overly apologetic and took them off the bill, which was a nice gesture, but certainly we weren't expecting that.  We only did the 10 course, which I thought was the right amount of food.  I worried we might be hungry at the end, but we weren't at all.  Especially after all the little desserts.  I thought all the food tasted good.  The squab mousse, Parmesan pudding, trout, short rib on tapenyaki grill (sp) and the dehydrated cabbage with pork were my favorite courses.  I really liked the food, but I thought the 10 course was missing texture that it looked like was possibly added in the 24 course based on the table next to us.  We had a lot of cream, foam, mousse and broth.  It was tasty, but it was missing some more crunch factor, it was all just so soft.  Matt commented that it was good, but not Minibar level, and I think that the texture was the difference, there were just a few more tricks and twists used to make a more diverse set of textures at Minibar, while I think both had great flavors.  Although I think I would about keel over after 24 courses, I kind of wish I could go back another night and try the 14 courses we missed and just see (they are the most accommodating restaurant ever if I asked they would probably do this, the service really was amazing.) 

• Like 2

Matt and I had our belated Valentine's meal last night at Rogue24.  First off, it wasn't very crowded, and I love the space.  It's very cool.  We sat in the lounge and had cocktails then were seated in what I thought was the best seat in the house for dinner, watching the kitchen.  This place is like cooking in the round.  Watching is as much fun as eating.  Matt accidentally ordered a non-alcoholic cocktail, but the hostess had them add alcohol to it after I said something.  The service was really outstanding.  We did have to wait for cocktail number 2, but they were overly apologetic and took them off the bill, which was a nice gesture, but certainly we weren't expecting that.  We only did the 10 course, which I thought was the right amount of food.  I worried we might be hungry at the end, but we weren't at all.  Especially after all the little desserts.  I thought all the food tasted good.  The squab mousse, Parmesan pudding, trout, short rib on tapenyaki grill (sp) and the dehydrated cabbage with pork were my favorite courses.  I really liked the food, but I thought the 10 course was missing texture that it looked like was possibly added in the 24 course based on the table next to us.  We had a lot of cream, foam, mousse and broth.  It was tasty, but it was missing some more crunch factor, it was all just so soft.  Matt commented that it was good, but not Minibar level, and I think that the texture was the difference, there were just a few more tricks and twists used to make a more diverse set of textures at Minibar, while I think both had great flavors.  Although I think I would about keel over after 24 courses, I kind of wish I could go back another night and try the 14 courses we missed and just see (they are the most accommodating restaurant ever if I asked they would probably do this, the service really was amazing.)

Really interesting. Sounds like this was your first time. We had a more positive (not paraphrasing yours as negative) experience our first time with the food and agree on service. I'm not sure but think I may have posted on that in some detail here a couple of years ago. Definitely different courses worth going back to try. R24 is a unique and very special restaurant in the fast-moving DC pantheon imo.

Really interesting. Sounds like this was your first time. We had a more positive (not paraphrasing yours as negative) experience our first time with the food and agree on service. I'm not sure but think I may have posted on that in some detail here a couple of years ago. Definitely different courses worth going back to try. R24 is a unique and very special restaurant in the fast-moving DC pantheon imo.

It was our first time.  I did really like it and would go back in a heartbeat.  We both thought it was really good value and really liked it.  I just thought it could be a little better- just a little and then it would be in one of our very top top meals.

• Like 1

I was just saying to myself. Chef. There isn't enough texture in the jaunt. I agree. We play with the jaunt to introduce the concept to our guests. Unlike minibar we let our guests have options. We change the menu often. The journey is our complete thoughts. It's like a great jam band show. If you only listen to half you only get half the effect. We try to assimilate it and make sure our guests are satisfied and somewhat full with the jaunt.

Thanks for the post. Glad you all enjoyed.

• Like 1

Although I think I would about keel over after 24 courses, I kind of wish I could go back another night and try the 14 courses we missed and just see (they are the most accommodating restaurant ever if I asked they would probably do this, the service really was amazing.)

My wife and I did the 24 course meal a couple years ago and like you I was worried about not being able to finish it. But fear not! We both made it to the end and might have only had trouble with the dessert courses. I can't remember for sure. Either way, I think they scale the courses so a normal person can do the entire 24 courses and live to tell about it.

Menu starts this weekend:  Again only for DR.COM we offer our industry discount when you mention DR.com on your reservation.

rose petal/violet/paper

smoked gazpacho/hot oyster crema

sour cream & beer yeast meringue/tennessee caviar

tazmanian sea trout skin/smoked trout/little eggs/wild dill

whipped pigs tail/dehydrated cabbage/mustard seeds

marrow mousse/pickle puffs/apple skin powder

rolled oat cracker/venison/wild blueberry preserves

avocado/corn nuts/madai/finger lime/mezcal/sorrel/fresh wasabi

romaine/white anchovy/reggiano/jicama/aerated caesar dressing 

kushi oysters/smoked cucumber pearls/yuzu-sake air   

chipped foie gras/quince/apple/cranberry/granola                  

dover sole/grenabloise

artichoke velouté/truffle sponge/parmesan/lemon 

coffee cured beef/capers/grass/buttermilk sponge/crustacean emulsion  

sea cucumber/bone marrow/cipollini/wild rice/buffalo butter nage

monkfish/lardo/cepe mushrooms/nasturtiums/smoked hay-red wine jus

duck liver agnolotti/pistachios/brown butter/old balsamic vinegar

duck breast/leg bonito/beet/persimmon/beet green kimchee

beef short rib/beluga lentils/syrah infused mascarpone/veal tendon  

rogue blue cheese/almond/raisins/verjus air

lychee/coconut/lime

banana/butterscotch/walnut

coffee/hazelnut/chocolate

Jaunt

smoked gazpacho/hot oyster crema

whipped pigs tail/dehydrated cabbage/mustard seeds

avocado/corn nuts/madai/finer lime/mezcal/sorrel/fresh wasabi

romaine/white anchovy/reggiano/jicama/aerated caesar dressing

artichoke velouté/truffle sponge/parmesan/lemon

monkfish/lardo/cepe mushrooms/nasturtiums/smoked hay-red wine jus

duck liver agnolotti/pistachios/brown butter/old balsamic vinegar

beef short rib/beluga lentils/syrah infused mascarpone/veal tendon

rogue blue cheese/almond/raisins/verjus air

banana/butterscotch/walnut

coffee/hazelnut/chocolate

happy endings

Our 3 course and 5 course menus are posted here:

Any questions?  Please feel free to ask..........

This looks awesome. One very obscure question only because I've been incredibly fortunate to have actually spent some time in Hobart and it's surroundings.

About this dish: "tazmanian sea trout skin/smoked trout/little eggs/wild dill"

How tough was it to source the tassie sea trout skin and is the "smoked trout" from the same fish?

cooper_rj_0.jpg?itok=nCdE4VaB

DINNER

The American Table: Rustic and Refined

Award Winner R.J. Cooper Rogue 24, Washington, D.C., and Gypsy Soul, Fairfax, VA

JBF Award winner R.J. Cooper treats discerning D.C.-area diners to modernist American cuisine with fanciful 24-course menus at one of his restaurants and an intimate study of Mid-Atlantic farmland at the other. Join us at the Beard House for his elaborate Brandt Beef dégustation and the opportunity to taste both of his lauded concepts under one roof.

MENU

• Hors d'Oeuvre
    • Corn Cob"“Smoked Hanger Steak Tartare with Black Garlic Aïoli, Quail Egg, Creamed Corn Sponge Bread, Corn Silk, and Puffed Corn Smut
    • Bone Marrow with Catalina Island Sea Urchins, Soft-Scrambled Eggs, and Antler Mustard on Ink Toasts
    • Pastrami-Cured Tongues with Fermented Collard Greens and Pickled Mustard Seeds on Marble Rye Biscuits
    • Beef Heart Bresaola with Burrata Skin, White Truffle Jelly, Dehydrated Malted Sponge, and Preserved Meyer Lemons
  • Dinner
    • Oxtail Fibers with Chawanmushi, Miro Shiitakes, White Soy, Black Truffles, and Wild Clover
    • Beef Bone Broth with Lobster, Sea Grapes, Poached Coral, Smoked Tallow, and Fried Testicles
    • Tendon en Gelée with Sprouted Lentils, Burrata, Tendon Puff, Concentrated Beef Juices, and Meadow Sorrel
    • Almond Wood"“Grilled Rib-Eye Cap with Charred Onion Soubise, New Crop Onions, Leeks, and Romesco
    • Yakitori-Grilled Naked Kagoshima Wagyu Beef Short Loin with J.Q. Dickinson Salt and Yuzu Barbecue Sauce
    • Smoked Beef Heart Fat"“Caramel Panna Cotta with Porcini Sponge, Fig Jam, and Honey 
    • Cap Fat"“Infused Chocolate Crémeux with Sage Moss, Black Truffle Sorbet, and Branches
    • Happy Endings 
    • A SELECTION OF FINE WINES WILL BE SERVED WITH THIS DINNER.
  • Like 2

recently made a reservation to take friends who are visiting from london in may, as a long overdue wedding present for them.  can't wait!  

Super jealous. Easily the most interesting and interactive dining experience I've had in DC. Make sure to get the drink pairings; the mocktails, especially, are really, really well done (this coming from someone who loves booze). Enjoy!

Went yesterday. Space is still nice. Fun to watch what goes on in the kitchen in the middle. Very good meal. Enjoyed it a lot.

The Good

The cocktails - really great. I wished the list would be posted on their website to drool over. Inventive, fun and delicious.

Waived corkage - always nice. 2011 Peay Pinot Noir is what we brought (strawberry buttercream nose)

Being able to try almost the entire a la carte menu. :)

The appetizers - nice. A veloute with some kind of spongy material with I think hints of orange? and a (goats?) cheese. I only got a sip. A cured 67 degree egg with some kind of caviar and smoky foam - very tasty. Great.Lamb kibbeh with a mushroom, tiny turnip but and a schmear of something. Solid. Fatty tuny with slightly dehydrated maitake. WOW (savory dish of the night)

The mains - grilled trumpet mushroom with kimchee brussel sprouts, I think sour cherries and a drizzle. Great. Monkfish with lardo sitting on ground porcini and a red wine jus. Flavor was good, see note below. A thai beef dish that was more of a soup, but really great. Duck with what appeared to be paper thin jerky, kimchee brussel sprouts, cherries and a schmear of something. Really good.

The desserts!!! My wife had a sponge concotion with some foam underpinned by a bleu cheese base and 'nuts' - a savory dessert that was just great. Just great. My dessert was orange spong with black tea ice cream and a slightly shellac-ed crumble. Sweet, but not too. Wow. Two totally different desserts that both were excellent.

The Minor Nits

The amuse - dehydrated cabbage stuffed with some delicious bits. My wife did not like the stuffed in bits and thought the cabbage was good. I was the opposite. Meh.

Not being able to get seated before my wife arrived (the restaurant was empty except for 3 other people, all also waiting for the remainders of their parties)

Being offered the after dinner drinks menu after the desserts came and were eaten (instead of in conjunction with or before) - but a great (bourbon heavy) list

Substituting the kimchee brussel sprouts for the dandelions in the mushroom main without being told about it

The monkfish was a bit overcooked

Kind of bummed to see the kimchee brussel sprouts/cherry combination on two courses the same night. Odd.

The very brief menu descriptions are efficient, but sometimes not providing enough context. I get the modus operandi here, but I think I should be able to ascertain a dish on my own, without having to ask about it (to decide if I want to order it or not) to understand it. Maybe that is just me.

Summary

Despite some of the minor nits above, I'll be back. Next time I think for the shorter tasting menu so we will have eaten our way around the various menus offered. The food is very, very good, the service is very good overall. This place scratches my WD-50 itch a bit and it is one of the reasons I like it. Good food, good drink, comfortable seating, the ability to make a reservation and easy to get to.

PS: I have pictures I can upload if folks are interested.

• Like 2

The very brief menu descriptions are efficient, but sometimes not providing enough context. I get the modus operandi here, but I think I should be able to ascertain a dish on my own, without having to ask about it (to decide if I want to order it or not) to understand it. Maybe that is just me.

It's not just you...it's the biggest factor that has kept me from trying Rogue 24 so far.

Maybe it's unfair, maybe I'm small-minded, maybe I'm not adventurous enough...but I like to know what I'm ordering when I look at the menu, without having to ask the server.

It would probably be different if I ate out a lot, but with kids I'm lucky if I get out once a month. And when I have that rare opportunity, I look over restaurant websites and menus to see what sounds great.

And while I'm sure Rogue 24 is great based on all I read here, reading the minimalist menu descriptions leaves me unenthusiastic and unsure about what I'd be eating.

Again, I know it seems like a silly reason not to patronize a place, but it is what it is.

I might try to drop by the SpiritsBar as a solo diner tonight.  Does one tend to need reservations for that earlyish on a Friday evening? 

Not sure. There appear to be 4 bar seats in the back, but there are also 4-seats in a row abutting the center kitchen that, while not bar height, seem like where they might serve the bar dining choices (or more). Not sure!  No idea if everything is reservation only or if they keep the bar available for walk-ins. I'd call ahead. Try their cocktails!

It's not just you...it's the biggest factor that has kept me from trying Rogue 24 so far.

Maybe it's unfair, maybe I'm small-minded, maybe I'm not adventurous enough...but I like to know what I'm ordering when I look at the menu, without having to ask the server.

It would probably be different if I ate out a lot, but with kids I'm lucky if I get out once a month. And when I have that rare opportunity, I look over restaurant websites and menus to see what sounds great.

And while I'm sure Rogue 24 is great based on all I read here, reading the minimalist menu descriptions leaves me unenthusiastic and unsure about what I'd be eating.

Again, I know it seems like a silly reason not to patronize a place, but it is what it is.

I'm of the opinion that everything I would order here would be overall good. The context here was that my wife and I were negotiating which one of use would get which course, and she took the veloute in the appetizer round, but then also got the beef course, which had a lot of (really full of great flavor and whisper think beef strips) broth. Had we both known that, we would have had one of us take one 'souplike' course and the other take the other. We could have asked up front, but I really don't think I should have to ask in order to understand the preparation. Hell, I'll take it in tiny print under the brief explanation. At the end of the day, it is not a big deal. All of the food (well, except the amuse) was solid, most of it very good, and some of it exceptional.

"...A cured 67 degree egg with..."

I dare say the notion of a clearly-defined temperature for an egg with a substantive dish may be a BFT (Big 2015 Food Trend). I personally don't care a whit about such trends but, having seen 63, 65 and now 67 on menus, I'm now wondering about the temp of my own poached and soft-cooked eggs at home. I am a good poacher but, maybe, if I were just a degree warmer or cooler, it'd be revelatory! [Laughing emoticon--not available with iOS devices--here].

"...A cured 67 degree egg with..."

I dare say the notion of a clearly-defined temperature for an egg with a substantive dish may be a BFT (Big 2015 Food Trend). I personally don't care a whit about such trends but, having seen 63, 65 and now 67 on menus, I'm now wondering about the temp of my own poached and soft-cooked eggs at home. I am a good poacher but, maybe, if I were just a degree warmer or cooler, it'd be revelatory! [Laughing emoticon--not available with iOS devices--here].

The thing is, they cooked it, peeled off all the whites somehow, and then cured it. So it was not warm or mostly gelatenous, but rather like a 'smeary' dense egglike experience that was accentuated by all of the roe. This was a very, very good dish. The smokey (potato?) foam was impressive for presentation, but it could have been equally awesome (or better) it they used tiny cubes of potato like in a hash - the texture would play well with the other two. Just an idea.

The thing is, they cooked it, peeled off all the whites somehow, and then cured it. So it was not warm or mostly gelatenous, but rather like a 'smeary' dense egglike experience that was accentuated by all of the roe. This was a very, very good dish. The smokey (potato?) foam was impressive for presentation, but it could have been equally awesome (or better) it they used tiny cubes of potato like in a hash - the texture would play well with the other two. Just an idea.

Peeled off the whites and cured? Alright. Alright already. I'm a good poacher; not a culinary wizard that does stuff like that. Then again, that's reason #2 or 3 why I'm such a fan of talented chefs who prioritize deliciousness.

Great comments, appreciate them, we are always trying to improve ourselves.

I write in bullets (just to piss of Don)

* the cabbage-was the last snack that i needed to change before I left for Brazil.  It used to be with whipped pigtails. This bite has finally seen its       last night as of tomorrow.  New compressed-grilled watermelon-chicken skin-pickled rind

* we dont like to seat people in the dining room until the parties are complete. we like to make people comfortable in the salon, like hanging in my house. have a drink kick back relax

* cordial menu.....i brought this up yesterday with dara.......the team is so in-tune with the degustation menus and pairings, that it sometimes gets overlooked on the a la carte side......was brought up in service meeting yesterday.

* don't know what they were thinking with the dandelions-brussel sprout thing......was noted in our service meeting yesterday.....I am back from my trip and I went and edited all the menus. (young sous chefs sometimes work with dark blinders) I was kind of bummed seeing that as well, addressed and crushed them

*I don't like long descriptive menu items, why, because I want the guest to start a dialog with the service team members, it makes the experience much more intimate. We want you as a guest not as a customer.

Monkfish......well human error sometimes makes for a more entertaining experience (the most major factor in consistency of restaurants)

* SpritsBar...............Bryan is moving to California next week, Jason Swaringen from Gypsy Soul is going to be the new Chef-Tender not replacing Bryan, he will be taking it into his direction......There are 4 seats at the bar........1 hour 15 minute seating times. Call ahead.

"Maybe it's unfair, maybe I'm small-minded, maybe I'm not adventurous enough...but I like to know what I'm ordering when I look at the menu, without having to ask the server."

this is because americans have been conditioned in the service industry not to be engaging. however.....we would like our guests to feel comfortable and start dialogs.  you can dine anywhere with robotic service. we want to welcome you al into our home. break out of the box man and challenge yourself .

The spring menus are approachable in mind but not in theory.

Thanks for coming in we appreciate the support

rj

• Like 2

two weeks cooking in a country that is more second world than first..........going to the top 10 restaurants in the world to be blown away instead being annoyed by the librarian attitudes and uninspired food.

stepping back and making the team leaders lead without micro managing......

well we can continue but drinking caipirinhas and eating boteco food for 14 days helps.........

*I don't like long descriptive menu items, why, because I want the guest to start a dialog with the service team members, it makes the experience much more intimate. We want you as a guest not as a customer.

Huh.  I never thought about it like that, but now that you say it, it makes sense.  Great explanation.

Great comments, appreciate them, we are always trying to improve ourselves.

I write in bullets (just to piss of Don)

* the cabbage-was the last snack that i needed to change before I left for Brazil.  It used to be with whipped pigtails. This bite has finally seen its       last night as of tomorrow.  New compressed-grilled watermelon-chicken skin-pickled rind

* we dont like to seat people in the dining room until the parties are complete. we like to make people comfortable in the salon, like hanging in my house. have a drink kick back relax

* cordial menu.....i brought this up yesterday with dara.......the team is so in-tune with the degustation menus and pairings, that it sometimes gets overlooked on the a la carte side......was brought up in service meeting yesterday.

* don't know what they were thinking with the dandelions-brussel sprout thing......was noted in our service meeting yesterday.....I am back from my trip and I went and edited all the menus. (young sous chefs sometimes work with dark blinders) I was kind of bummed seeing that as well, addressed and crushed them

Monkfish......well human error sometimes makes for a more entertaining experience (the most major factor in consistency of restaurants)

* SpritsBar...............Bryan is moving to California next week, Jason Swaringen from Gypsy Soul is going to be the new Chef-Tender not replacing Bryan, he will be taking it into his direction......There are 4 seats at the bar........1 hour 15 minute seating times. Call ahead.

"Maybe it's unfair, maybe I'm small-minded, maybe I'm not adventurous enough...but I like to know what I'm ordering when I look at the menu, without having to ask the server."

this is because americans have been conditioned in the service industry not to be engaging. however.....we would like our guests to feel comfortable and start dialogs.  you can dine anywhere with robotic service. we want to welcome you al into our home. break out of the box man and challenge yourself .

The spring menus are approachable in mind but not in theory.

Thanks for coming in we appreciate the support

rj

Hey thanks for the ping back. We had a great time. I only had to wait a few minutes for my wife to get there to meet me, and I was given some water and offered the cocktails menu (but declined as I wanted to raise my glass when my wife got there - no biggie). The seats up front really are comfortable and I have to say it is spacious and I would imagine when it gets crowded up front, it really isn't. :)

I like talking to the staff as well. We usually do ask if we have a question about the preparation, which is not often. Perhaps the a la carte side is a little trickier since guests have some selection there, and it's easy to order in a way that might be unexpected (like two soup like dishes). No big deal - both of those dishes were great, especially the beef dish (broth).

I still enjoyed the monkfish dish, the flavors were good and the mushroom dice underpinning this went a long way towards me forgetting about the fish being overdone.

Like I said before, we'll be back - looking forward to it.

Summer menu starts this weekend.......10 course jaunt 70....takes 1 1/2 hours......24 course 125 takes 3 hours.......3 course and 5 course sunday wed. thurs...45 & 65

potato paper/sweet corn/crayfish powder

·      tomato ice/basil powder/pickled tomato seeds *

·      oyster/sake pearls/cucumber air

·      sea salt roasted potatoes/morel mushroom glace/quail egg/chive emulsion *

·      dried scallop/smoked beet root aspic/ crème fraiche

bubble cocktail

·      ossetra caviar/potato ice cream/crème friache/caper aspic (gm) *

·      dutch white asparagus/steelehead trout roe/marigold flowers (f)  

·      frozen foie gras/fermented pineapple juice/brazil nut/banana (m) *

crisp dry white

·      warm parmesan custard/lemon sponge/espelette/begonia flowers (f) *

·      goat cheese curd/summer peas/mint flowers/lemon gel  (m) *

·      alliums/pickled mustard seed/tallow ice cream (f)

floral white

·      nantes carrot tofu/carrot tops/rabbit pastrami/coconut (m)

·      frog legs/egg toffee/snap peas/nasturtiums (f)

·      smoked pork jowl/asparagus/morels/peanut consommé/coriander (m)

try and get the maui coconut porter please

·      chicken liver agnolotti/confit of leg/purple carrots/truffle veloute (f) *

·      turbot/black garlic-potato puree/pickle ramp bulbs/ramp juice (m) *

·      smoked eel/fermented black rice/red cabbage emulsion/bbq (f)

spanish rose

·      corned goat/tomatillo/fresno pepper/spring garlic/almond milk/mint (m) *

·      aged duck breast/beet root/black walnut milk/dandelion kimche (f)  *

big bad new world red

·      camembert/whipped pistachio/pickled grapes/coffee sponge (m) *

• gianes desserts and happy endings.
  • Like 1

This will be the last major menu change of season 4.  Yes we are going to be 4 years old July 27th!

red mustard leaves/sheep's yogurt/za'atar

smoked preserved tomato ice/pickled tomato seeds/warm basil crème

kushi oysters/vichyssoise/scallion bubbles

white asparagus/steel head roe/marigolds

paddlefish caviar/potato skin ice cream/caper aspic/crème fraiche

cured fluke/charred sea urchin/citrus dashi/radish/sea grass

heirloom tomatoes/grilled zucchini-wheat grass puree/chicken skin

peas/goat milk whey/mint flowers/chlorophyll/olive oil jam

poularde liver agnalotti/leg confit/grapefruit/purple carrots/sour beer

cucumber/burnet/soy bean/smoked river trout

frog legs/hen egg toffee/snow peas

"elote"

musk melon/bottarga/mustard flowers/ham consommé

beet/tallow-malt dots/crustacean emulsion/sea herbs

chanterelles/black garlic/nasturtiums/buffalo butter

beef tartare/ramps/snail eggs/black benne/begonia/jcokes

turbot/yuba/charred cabbage/caraway/hay/syrah

lamb/apricot/eggplant/swarndwipa/yogurt/plantain/honeysuckle

potato cooked in its earth/variations of spinach/oxtail juice

parmesan custard/espelette pepper/lemon sponge/artichokes

coconut/yuzu/basil

orange/walnut/black tea

chocolate/rosemary/strawberry/sage/balsamic

happy endings/little things/small bites

• Like 1

Random questions:

-I don't see anything about the 4 drinks/4 bites/$44 on the website. Is that meant for 1 person or four people? I'd guess 1, but 4 drinks seems like a lot for one person.

-RJ makes reference above to the 3 and 5 course menus on Sunday, Wednesday, and Thursday. Are they not available on Fridays and Saturdays?

-And lastly, is the Rockwellian discount still in effect? And is that only for the jaunt and journey?

Random questions:

-I don't see anything about the 4 drinks/4 bites/$44 on the website. Is that meant for 1 person or four people? I'd guess 1, but 4 drinks seems like a lot for one person.

-RJ makes reference above to the 3 and 5 course menus on Sunday, Wednesday, and Thursday. Are they not available on Fridays and Saturdays?

-And lastly, is the Rockwellian discount still in effect? And is that only for the jaunt and journey?

real answers:

* the 4x4 is still $44 its for one person at the SpiritsBar, its a cocktail and snakes tasting

* 5 course is available friday & saturdays at the early seating 6 pm or at 9:30 pm it is however always available at the SpiritsBar

* Rockhead discount is still in effect and yes only for the jaunt/journey menus

reservations at 202.408.9724

• Like 2