Happy Thanksgiving

Rick Azzarano

Happy Thanksgiving to all here.  May you all have a safe (and delicious) holiday.

Here, here! I'm looking forward to hearing the war stories - case in point:

One year, my friends & I decided to do our own "orphan" Thanksgiving with all the trimmings like home. The weekend before the big day, the oven caught fire while we were making biscuits, melting the temperature knobs...we had to turn the oven on with a pair of pliers and use an internal thermometer to guage the cook temp. But that was nothing!

Day of, the table was filled with plates, glasses, and every side dish known to man. Eight of us were seated around this beautiful table. We said our thanks & picked up the first dish to pass around when the bracing beam under the table snapped under the weight of our glorious feast!

Happy to report that the table was the only thing to break that day and the only spill was a drop of beer on the freshly pressed table cloth. We ended up eating our turkey dinner Indian style on the living room floor!

There's a reason I spend most of my time in restaurants...Thanksgiving brings out the worst in my cooking abilities (or lack thereof). One year had me wondering why the lettuce I got for my salad was so thick (um, it was cabbage). Another had my guests eating pumpkin mush -- had forgotten the crust on my pumpkin pie (but I baked it!).

So here's to wonderful Thanksgiving meals cooked by others! (I'm in charge of the beer this year)

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.  Please drive safely (avoid I-95 southbound between Baltimore and Washington this afternoon), eat and drink well, and remember how fortunate we all are.  Cheers!  Rocks.

Ugly enough, that was the least of my worries. I just took 495 and charged North on the Baltimore-Washington Parkway and not the affected area of 95 proper (95N sounded open, but messedup). Pretty painless. After that, it was solid stop and go traffic clear through to...well...my house, in CT, 200-some miles and 8 hours away.

I'm in charge of two sides this year. Brought my knives, too...snoogans. Should have brought a flask. God forbid there be some vermouth or bourbon in this house I could make a sauce or something with. My sister is making an 'Alsatian' apple tart, but I'm not sure what makes it 'Alsatian' exactly. If I had known, I could have set her up with some Calvados. That'd Alsatian things right up.

I'm mostly mad because the chili fries at the diner kind of sucked just now. Some 'welcome' home. :lol:

Edited for: Hey, it's Thursday! Happy Thanksgiving!

Edited by shogun

Happy T-Day, Friends!

We'll be with my mother-in-law in Baltimore. I'm taking it easy on the cooking. Just made mashed sweet potatoes, and I'm roasting some chicken necks to flavor some stuffing with chanterelles. Other than that, it's a rotisserie chicken (what m-i-l wanted) and I hope a relaxing visit.

We have finished our lunch of defrosted chili and a bottle of 1981 Iron Horse Cabernet. In about 30 minutes we are putting our 18# bird in the oven for just the two of us. Thisnking about what to drink with it later.... maybe a 1978 Mayacamas cab. None of my Brunellos are really ready to drink and Barolo is just to big for a turkey dinner, even a 1989 where my collection of Piemonte starts.

Well, one of the dishes I brought to T'giving was appreciated-black bean jalapeno dip & the other was superfluous-roasted new potatoes, w/ asparagus, cherry tomatoes, & kalamata olives. I spent Thanksgiving with my husband's family (who are as dear to me as my own, my husband is deployed in Iraq), I reused the roasted veg in a vegetable soup, w/ mixed beans, ham scraps, & butter braised scallions-good for lunch, with a salad. My kids are still playing with aunts, uncles, grandparents, & extended family-I'm a lucky person-hope everyone had an equally wonderful T'giving!...Linda

Happy Thnksgiving all.

In 2002, Kay and I were just back from a trip to Italy. I had just had open heart surgery in July and this trip was so different because my recovery dictated we not take our usual breakneck pace. One day we just sat on a town square and watched the school kids getting ready to go on a field trip enjoying the communication going on that required no knowlege of Italian to understand. Later that day Kay & I decided that I had had enough at Whole Foods and that when I got my health back, we would open a restaurant, a dream I had developped 3 days into my first restaurant job back in high school..

Today, we have our dream. Its been quite a trip, rocky and exhilerating all at once. So thank you to our friends here on DR.com, to folk here we don't know who have supported us without intorducing themselves, and to all our other guests who have made this possible. Thanks to our staff who make Dino what it is. 2 and a half years into it, it is more fun than ever and we are finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel as far as having it pay off on many levels.

I am truly thankful today!

Lastly I am thankful I don't have to go out and get a real job!!