Izakaya Seki, U Street Corridor - Chef Hiroshi Seki and GM Cizuka Seki on 11th and V Streets

We stuffed ourselves Friday night for $100 pp.  We had (i) scallop carpaccio, (ii) ankimo, (iii), chu toro sashimi, (iv) tuna nuta, (v) grilled intestine, (vi) ara yaki, (vii) chicken meatballs, and (viii) yakitori (not pictured and I didn't try it).  Everything I tried except the scallops were reallly delicious.  I thought the scallops were way too thick to be called carpaccio, and I just didn't like the flavors of these particular scallops.  They also mislabeled intestines as tripe.   Of the two pieces of intestines I tried, one was really chewy, while the other was really nice.  If I had to pick 1 tuna dish, I'd pick the tuna nuta over the chu toro, probably because I love shiso and the miso sauce was fantastic.  Also can't go wrong with ara yaki if you like to gnaw on fish bones.

ETA:  Apparently, in Japanese, it's listed as intestines but it was mistranslated in English.

IMG_1660.JPG

IMG_1661.JPG

IMG_1662.JPG

IMG_1663.JPG

IMG_1664.JPG

IMG_1666.JPG

IMG_1667.JPG

IMG_8085-1.jpg

• Like 3
  • Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I received another very constructive Yelp review from a very discerning patron that I thought would help DR.com readers to decide whether Izakaya Seki was worthwhile.  *Please note that the underlined

I hadn't been to Seki in a while but glad I was able to go here with my brothers and @MichaelBDC earlier this month. Enjoyed everything we ordered, especially the mackerel (we also asked and got the k

Had another just wonderful meal at Seki this evening--including a yosenabe hot-pot I hadn't seen before and an especially delectable order of ara yaki.  As I wrote upthread, Seki is conducive to easy

Posted Images

I googled ara yaki, and lo and behold, this turned up; https://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/24/magazine/every-last-bit.html

Because I moved out of Arlington years ago, It's been ages since I've been to Izakaya Seki. Your post reminded me why I loved the place. I may be wrong, but I might have had hamachi kama for the first time there, and it's still one of my favorite dishes. I have a source in a secret location in Ashburn, but it's no match for Seki's spot. 

On 3/20/2019 at 8:05 AM, yeah said:

What are the chances of Ara Yaki being available for an early Saturday dinner? 

No ara yaki for me on Saturday, but the hamachi kama was similar enough and quite delicious.  The beets were very flavorful and refreshing as well. 

• Like 1

Had another just wonderful meal at Seki this evening--including a yosenabe hot-pot I hadn't seen before and an especially delectable order of ara yaki.  As I wrote upthread, Seki is conducive to easy conversation, extremely consistent and innovative, and very fairly priced. Truly one of DC's gems. 

The reason I'm posting again, however, is to flag that Seki is now taking reservations, at the counter and in the dining room! (but also holding a certain number of tables/bar seats for walk-ins, which was no problem at all tonight).  So if you've been reluctant to take your chances on a wait, just head over to this site and click in:

https://www.giftrocker.com/secure/reservationtables/?c=6ca50bec

• Like 5