Where Did I Dine? A Photograph-Based Guessing Game

Listrani's of Mclean??

Wow, I haven't had Listrani's in a few years now, but I wouldn't have any trouble finding it (see my previous post), and I don't remember their crust being this large at the circumference.

I mean, I'm not saying the periphery was enormous; merely that you wouldn't need to buy a separate order of bread if you ordered a pizza. <--- That was a hint, btw. :)

Here's another: I'm just now realizing that people may not be aware of how significant it is that I had trouble finding a restaurant.

Wow, I haven't had Listrani's in a few years now, but I wouldn't have any trouble finding it (see my previous post), and I don't remember their crust being this large at the circumference.

I mean, I'm not saying the periphery was enormous; merely that you wouldn't need to buy a separate order of bread if you ordered a pizza. <--- That was a hint, btw. :)

Here's another: I'm just now realizing that people may not be aware of how significant it is that I had trouble finding a restaurant.

I knew I was lousy at this game.  :D

Stella Barra?

I'm tapping this in on my phone, but I figured at this point it was a foregone conclusion that only The Mighty Cheezepowder could get this.

Mid-Pike Plaza (where Syms was) is gone, and I mean it no longer exists.

I think the new La Madeleine is opening today or tomorrow. I'm unconvinced the letter on Tom Sietsema's chat today is authentic.

• Like 1

Correct. A "Skate Club" sandwich with remoulade on a brioche bun. A bit unconventional but it worked. My dining companion had an "oyster po'boy" that showed up as a salad.

What gave it away?

Woodward Table puts a *lot* of ... I don't want to call it glop because it isn't ... "stuff" on their sandwiches - they're about as busy as they can be without being completely over-the-top. They're an upscale version of the old Roy's Place in Gaithersburg.

One of their brunch entrees is called "The Hot Mess."

Where did I dine?

post-2-0-06631600-1424318475_thumb.jpg post-2-0-78461400-1424318501_thumb.jpg

Woodward Table puts a *lot* of ... I don't want to call it glop because it isn't ... "stuff" on their sandwiches - they're about as busy as they can be without being completely over-the-top. They're an upscale version of the old Roy's Place in Gaithersburg.

One of their brunch entrees is called "The Hot Mess."

Interesting. Overloaded wasn't a thought that entered my brain when it landed though the crispy onions piled on top probably fit that bill. I was guessing you recognized the china or maybe the fries just visible in the corner. I forget what the white substance is they sprinkle on the tasty shoestrings...not salt....maybe very finely chopped egg white or something like that or a neutral white cheese. The sandwich was on today's lunch special menu.

Woodward Table puts a *lot* of ... I don't want to call it glop because it isn't ... "stuff" on their sandwiches - they're about as busy as they can be without being completely over-the-top. 

This was why I was doubting it was Fishnet, but I didn't know many other places that would make a skate sandwich in DC.

This was why I was doubting it was Fishnet, but I didn't know many other places that would make a skate sandwich in DC.

Exactly why I ordered it. The combination worked. Nothing exceptional but a tasty sandwich. More interesting than my compadre's "po'boy" salad, we agreed thought the oysters were friend nicely and generously portioned.

I forget what the white substance is they sprinkle on the tasty shoestrings...not salt....maybe very finely chopped egg white or something like that or a neutral white cheese.

Ground Parmesan? I have no particular reason to think this other than your description, and that it seems a reasonable topping at a place like Woodward Table.

Ground Parmesan? I have no particular reason to think this other than your description, and that it seems a reasonable topping at a place like Woodward Table.

I suppose possible but I use a lot of Reggiano at home and this was much milder. Maybe a grano (grana?) or lower-cost parmesan which would make sense for sprinkling on fries. I rarely finish an order of fries with a burger or sandwich but finished these.

No, sir.

That's it?  :blink:

It looks like Caramelized Fish in a Clay Pot - thing is, though, this doesn't look like catfish.

Is this Vietnamese?

Is it fish?

Is it a flaky fish (such as flounder, for example)? It looks like it.

---

As for my 2 pictures (10 posts back), the fact that nobody has guessed is, in and of itself, a hint.

Can anyone make some general observations about the two entrees? (I'll guide you with hints based on what you have to say.)

I'll play one more time.

Its quite obvious from the picture that the restaurant was either in Australia, New Zealand, or southern Chile.  Am I warm.  (with this cold spell I so miss being warm)

Definite humor points, DaveO! But, alas, no, this place is definitely stateside....er, local.   :D   P.S., With you on the cold spell.  We're not supposed to be like Boston.

That's it?  :blink:

It looks like Caramelized Fish in a Clay Pot - thing is, though, this doesn't look like catfish.

Is this Vietnamese?

Is it fish?

Is it a flaky fish (such as flounder, for example)? It looks like it.

Yep, that WAS it as I was unsuccessfully trying to hook someone else into this. Using Rockwellian tactics, I'll say that itself is kind of a hint. Or, maybe isn't.

More helpfully, yes, it was a flaky fish.

As for my 2 pictures (10 posts back), the fact that nobody has guessed is, in and of itself, a hint.

Can anyone make some general observations about the two entrees? (I'll guide you with hints based on what you have to say.)

Sure.

Observation #1:  They look like dishes from two different restaurants. The first appears Asian. The second more heavy European.

Observation #2:  The first is some kind of chicken (maybe pork) topped with fried onions (which, btw, are dead ringers for the ones at Woodward Table) but the basil leaf and chile pepper look Asian...even though friend onions like that wouldn't be.

Observation #3:  The second looks like a very traditional (and maybe not so good? gloppy?) beef burgundy.  Maybe the kind of thing one would get at Bistro du Coin or a place like that. A French Bistro that has been around a long time and has maybe seen better days or been eclipsed by others?  An older, comfortable, French Bistro out by Arlington closer to you, maybe?

It looks familiar, and I'm guessing from your comment is that it's a restaurant that doesn't get a lot of love on here.   Is that hangar steak with mashed potatoes and mushrooms?  And a piece of fish with shredded potatoes or something else, and a sauce.  There's also what looks like the corner of a wire basket with paper in the background, probably a bread basket.

Those plates and the wood table top look very familiar to me, and dang it if I can't figure out why.

Sure.

Observation #1:  They look like dishes from two different restaurants. The first appears Asian. The second more heavy European.

Observation #2:  The first is some kind of chicken (maybe pork) topped with fried onions (which, btw, are dead ringers for the ones at Woodward Table) but the basil leaf and chile pepper look Asian...even though friend onions like that wouldn't be.

Observation #3:  The second looks like a very traditional (and maybe not so good? gloppy?) beef burgundy.  Maybe the kind of thing one would get at Bistro du Coin or a place like that. A French Bistro that has been around a long time and has maybe seen better days or been eclipsed by others?  An older, comfortable, French Bistro out by Arlington closer to you, maybe?

I had the same thought, that these dishes looked like they were from different restaurants.  However, the dishes they're plated on are identical.  So, either Rocks has managed to find two different restaurants with the identical tableware, OR, they're from the same restaurant.

I also thought the first plate was chicken, but wasn't sure about the topping -- looked like fried scallions, but onions would work.  Agree completely with your description of the 2nd dish.

The plating alone suggests that this is a mid-to lower-tier restaurant -- the plates almost remind me of a cafeteria.

Sure.

It looks familiar, and I'm guessing from your comment is that it's a restaurant that doesn't get a lot of love on here.   Is that hangar steak with mashed potatoes and mushrooms?  And a piece of fish with shredded potatoes or something else, and a sauce.  There's also what looks like the corner of a wire basket with paper in the background, probably a bread basket.

Those plates and the wood table top look very familiar to me, and dang it if I can't figure out why.

I had the same thought, that these dishes looked like they were from different restaurants.  However, the dishes they're plated on are identical.  So, either Rocks has managed to find two different restaurants with the identical tableware, OR, they're from the same restaurant.

I also thought the first plate was chicken, but wasn't sure about the topping -- looked like fried scallions, but onions would work.  Agree completely with your description of the 2nd dish.

The plating alone suggests that this is a mid-to lower-tier restaurant -- the plates almost remind me of a cafeteria.

Okay, these are all good comments. When you're the one who knows what and where something is, you're not quite sure what others are able to glean, so these three comments were really helpful.

Based on them, let me throw out some clues that should be just enough to guess the answer:

1. They're from the same restaurant (Matt got the rockfish which was the "fresh catch of the day," and I got the hanger steak which was the "nightly special").

2. JimRice, I suspect you've been here before. In fact, a *lot* of people have been here before, as it's one of the largest restaurants in the United States.

3. This food is American all the way, and most definitely for the masses albeit not in a bad way - this place does as good a job as any restaurant its size.

Based on them, let me throw out some clues that should be just enough to guess the answer:

1. They're from the same restaurant (Matt got the rockfish which was the "fresh catch of the day," and I got the hanger steak which was the "nightly special").

2. JimRice, I suspect you've been here before. In fact, a *lot* of people have been here before, as it's one of the largest restaurants in the United States.

3. This food is American all the way, and most definitely for the masses albeit not in a bad way - this place does as good a job as any restaurant its size.

Now I'm really confused. But, per my norm, no doubt I'll do a head knock once the answer is made known.

"one of the largest" in terms of physical size or square footage?  Or number of locations?

Now I'm really confused. But, per my norm, no doubt I'll do a head knock once the answer is made known.

"one of the largest" in terms of physical size or square footage?  Or number of locations?

Revenues and most likely physical size; not number of locations. The square footage is very high; the cubic footage is positively massive.

In terms of cubic footage, Church Brew Works in Pittsburgh is bigger, I'm pretty sure (I don't remember seeing any restaurant with more cubic feet than this).

CBW-interior.jpg

And, here's a second clue from the same meal as my fish photo.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Is this supposed to be the exact same photo?

Once again, I'm pulling a Brian Williams and "conflating" Southeast Asian and Latino.

Is the serving vessel metallic or ceramic?

If it wasn't for the piece on the bottom-right, I'd still stick with my "Caramelized Fish in a Clay Pot" and accuse you of messing with us.

Is it Thai?

Is it Peruvian?

If this isn't Vietnamese, I suspect it's one or the other.

Okay, these are all good comments. When you're the one who knows what and where something is, you're not quite sure what others are able to glean, so these three comments were really helpful.

Old Ebbit Grill?

• Like 1

Is this supposed to be the exact same photo?

Once again, I'm pulling a Brian Williams and "conflating" Southeast Asian and Latino.

Is the serving vessel metallic or ceramic?

If it wasn't for the piece on the bottom-right, I'd still stick with my "Caramelized Fish in a Clay Pot" and accuse you of messing with us.

Is it Thai?

Is it Peruvian?

If this isn't Vietnamese, I suspect it's one or the other.

It was the same photo but a mistake there. Not intentional. The right one now attached. And, have been answering your questions versus responding to statements (a hint). Trying to make it something non-trivial but could have course given away much more.

Anyway, no, it's not Thai or Peruvian. Good question about the serving container. I'm not 100% sure despite having this dish many times over many years (another hint). I think it's neither metal or ceramic. Maybe an oven-proof synthetic material but, again, that could be off. Doesn't clang like metal. Doesn't feel like ceramic to me.

post-2258-0-45926000-1424392376_thumb.jp

It was the same photo but a mistake there. Not intentional. The right one now attached. And, have been answering your questions versus responding to statements (a hint). Trying to make it something non-trivial but could have course given away much more.

Anyway, no, it's not Thai or Peruvian. Good question about the serving container. I'm not 100% sure despite having this dish many times over many years (another hint). I think it's neither metal or ceramic. Maybe an oven-proof synthetic material but, again, that could be off. Doesn't clang like metal. Doesn't feel like ceramic to me.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

:unsure:

It's not Four Sisters because they serve(d) this dish in a plain old white porcelain bowl. <--- No question mark.

It's not Minh's because they have white tablecloths. <--- No question mark.

Is the fish tilapia? <--- Question mark. ^_^

:unsure:

It's not Four Sisters because they serve(d) this dish in a plain old white porcelain bowl. <--- No question mark.

It's not Minh's because they have white tablecloths. <--- No question mark.

Is the fish tilapia? <--- Question mark. ^_^

No on tilapia. Tilapia isn't good fish! :-)

Biggest hint yet since I'm out of photos from this meal and thought the new one would seal the deal. You need to revisit an assumption (or two).

Old Ebbit Grill?

I was thinking this too but didn't proffer the guess due to the cubic footage hint. Ebbitt is pretty big but maybe not one of "the biggest in America" and ceilings are pretty normal height? Then again, Rocks still hasn't replied to your guess so maybe you're on to something? :-)

Sigh ... is it Four Sisters?

Yes! Yes!!! Sheesh. :-)

Not sure where you got the "white ceramic bowl" idea from. They've been serving this in the black containers at least since they moved to Merrifield a few years before Mosaic. I think also back in the Eden days too. And, the crispy spring roles are still one of the best versions in the area imo. While other spots do better pho and are even more authentic, you have to admire the staying power of this family's business. And great people.

None of us have eaten here because it's carryout from a barbecue place that you're serving in your kitchen.

You're on the right path but not exactly. It is carry out but most any carry out place also has a dining room, counter or something. My hint is that no one has eaten at the place from which this carry out came. Also, for those that know the 'q spots around town well, both the main course and greens are fairly distinctive.

Logging off now but will check first thing in the AM for other questions or guesses.

Old Ebbit Grill?

I'm sorry, Laura, I thought I answered you earlier - you're on the right track: It's not Old Ebbitt, but your line of thinking is the correct one. I suspect JimRice will be the one to get this.

Yes! Yes!!! Sheesh. :-)

Not sure where you got the "white ceramic bowl" idea from. They've been serving this in the black containers at least since they moved to Merrifield a few years before Mosaic. I think also back in the Eden days too. And, the crispy spring roles are still one of the best versions in the area imo. While other spots do better pho and are even more authentic, you have to admire the staying power of this family's business. And great people.

The Four Sisters are excellent business moguls, the organization has made four seemingly brilliant real-estate decisions (getting into Eden Center early, getting out of Eden Center early, getting into Merrifield before Mosaic, and getting into Clarendon before the final demons from Hell were released), and my guess is that I've "conflated" :unsure: the white porcelain serving vessel with the one used at Bangkok 54. To quote one of the great minds of our time:

I probably overstepped with that opinion if only because it is dated. We'll make sure to re-assess next time out

^_^

Final one for awhile from me. And, big hint with this one that should make it easier.

None of you have eaten here but it meets all the requirements of this game.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

I'm pretty sure I know what this is, but I'm going to start leaning on the supply side of this game going forward.

So, where did I dine?

post-2-0-11220200-1424404219_thumb.jpg

The dish is, at least nominally, representative of both the restaurant's bailiwick and ethnicity.

The comment about the size is throwing me.  I'm going to guess Mike's in Springfield, which is big, but I don't think it's that big.  But the descriptions of the fresh catch of the day and the nightly special make me think it's that, or one of the other restaurnants in the GAR family.

The comment about the size is throwing me.  I'm going to guess Mike's in Springfield, which is big, but I don't think it's that big.  But the descriptions of the fresh catch of the day and the nightly special make me think it's that, or one of the other restaurnants in the GAR family.

Mike's American *is* that big - at least revenue-wise - and you're correct! It's 44,000 square feet (which I believe is the largest square footage in the DC area), and it's as high as it is wide.

You're on the right path but not exactly. It is carry out but most any carry out place also has a dining room, counter or something. My hint is that no one has eaten at the place from which this carry out came. Also, for those that know the 'q spots around town well, both the main course and greens are fairly distinctive.

Logging off now but will check first thing in the AM for other questions or guesses.

Pitmasters Back Alley BBQ