Where Did I Dine? A Photograph-Based Guessing Game

Duke's Grocery

Was that a new record for easiest/fastest? You must be a fan? I think this a damn good burger and, at $10, reasonably priced even with one of the stranger ordering constraints of any burger. "Medium Rare or Well Done" but no other temp.

Evidently, the copper counter also visible is both new and popular with staff since easier to keep clean than the previous wood.

You're way off base with that.  :)

edited to add: this place shouldn't be off the radar; I read about it here, and plenty of members have eaten there and posted about it.

Are you telling me this isn't fried wheat dough? Because I thought it was a stuffed bhatura.

But if it's not fried, it's baked (which would explain the bubbles), and it's some type of Szechuan globular puff that's been unpuffed, but it's not Chang's scallion bread because there are no scallions.

It's the wrong shape for a fatayer, and it's not fry bread (I was originally thinking something like Mitsitam).

Looks like a po-boy with handmade chips.  Acadiana?

It is a po-boy!  And, yes, the handmade chips were great. I rarely eat a full portion of chips with any sandwich or burger but these were easy to finish.

Sadly, not Acadiana though.

Hint:  I was inspired by Ilaine, NolaCaine and MC Horoscope on the "Cajun v. Creole" thread...but not directly.  ;)

And, here's another attempt at a right-side up photo!  DanielK, any better for you on the chromebook?  This one from Safari but not iOS.  Will attempt a different browser next if this is still inverted.

post-2258-0-40057400-1425931136_thumb.jp

I swear I either saw that dish or saw it on a menu recently and it's killing me that I can't remember where. I guessed Kapnos because I've only been there and to Acadiana recently and that dish is more Kapnos-y (as is the table), but I don't think that's it.

It is a po-boy!  And, yes, the handmade chips were great. I rarely eat a full portion of chips with any sandwich or burger but these were easy to finish.

Sadly, not Acadiana though.

Hint:  I was inspired by Ilaine, NolaCaine and MC Horoscope on the "Cajun v. Creole" thread...but not directly.  ;)

And, here's another attempt at a right-side up photo!  DanielK, any better for you on the chromebook?  This one from Safari but not iOS.  Will attempt a different browser next if this is still inverted.

attachicon.gifphoto-25.JPG

Louisiana Kitchen? Sixth Engine?

I still pine for the old long gone Gulf Coast Kitchen (where Black's is in Bethesda now). They had pretty good oyster po-boys.

Louisiana Kitchen? Sixth Engine?

I still pine for the old long gone Gulf Coast Kitchen (where Black's is in Bethesda now). They had pretty good oyster po-boys.

Good guesses both but no on both.

OK, another hint. So far, the (good) guesses gave tended toward the regional cuisine rather than the key ingredient. The latter is the way to go.

Good guesses both but no on both.

OK, another hint. So far, the (good) guesses gave tended toward the regional cuisine rather than the key ingredient. The latter is the way to go.

I am going to guess Hank's Oyster Bar, although it doesn't seem like their plating, but I haven't been there in a while, so what do I know.

I am going to guess Hank's Oyster Bar, although it doesn't seem like their plating, but I haven't been there in a while, so what do I know.  

Good guess in keeping with the hint about the spot's focus being more on ingredient (oyster) versus the cuisine (New Orleans).  But, wasn't Hank's.

I am going Woodward Table for the Po'Boy

Reasonable too but not so much a single or narrow ingredient focus at WT.  And, just kidding here but you should have had an unfair advantage and gotten this one?!

FWIW, the pictures are upside down here on my work (windows) machine.  And I cannot enlarge the photos to see the main ingredient of the poboy in greater detail....Rappahanock?

We have a winner!  This has been a periodic special at Rappahanock at Union Market but has been popular so now available most every day. Will post a few words about it on their thread.

Ok, Abagail99, was it Breadfurst?  I don't know that they would toast their baquettes, so I am doubting my guess a bit.

Was wondering about that too. With the exception of the BreadFeast dinners they used to have with Frank Ruta, I don't think BF serves food like that unless there was another special dinner more recently. Beyond the baked goods, most foods that can be consumed there are different salads, sandwiches, soups, and occasional chicken or other proteins reheated and served on simple, disposable (recyclable) plates. I'm a regular there.

New rule (a la Bill Maher? :P): If you post a photo asking "Where did I dine?" you cannot drop off the face of the earth and leave all of us who have posted guesses hanging. ;)

This has been killing me because I know I should know where those are from. I have seen them somewhere!

• Like 2

Still smarting here over the sinking feeling that Abigail99 is never going to tell us. Abigail, was it something we said? Wherever they were from, your crostinis look pretty great. Come back! Talk to us!

This has been a Public Service Announcement. Now back to our regularly scheduled programming of the suspenseful (terrifying to me) "Where Did I Dine?" (Rated PG-13, if that's still a rating?)

Still smarting here over the sinking feeling that Abigail99 is never going to tell us. Abigail, was it something we said? Wherever they were from, your crostinis look pretty great. Come back! Talk to us!

This has been a Public Service Announcement. Now back to our regularly scheduled programming of the suspenseful (terrifying to me) "Where Did I Dine?" (Rated PG-13, if that's still a rating?)

There is a PM function here. Try to message her through that.

There is a PM function here. Try to message her through that.

I'm okay not knowing since I tend to suck at this game anyway. :-)

But I'd fully support you or anyone else PMing Abigail99. Maybe ChoirGirl since she was the one proposing harsh new penalties for radio silence?

Just for clarity, I am kidding with this stuff.

I'm okay not knowing since I tend to suck at this game anyway. :-)

Exactly why I find this game maddening but still like to play. I know this place. Don may even be baiting me here since it's a coffee house. I totally know that plate and that cup.

But it's not coming to me right now. Aaaaargghhh.

Is it in DC versus VA or MD?

I'm not baiting you; just pointing out that you don't suck at this game after all.

Here's your one clue: I usually don't drink coffee black, and the reason I put a little cream and sugar in isn't because I like it; it's to mask the taste.