Where Did I Dine? A Photograph-Based Guessing Game

Nope.  Not in DC proper.

This is Mr. BLB's entree.

The food looks good, with high quality ingredients, but the platings are on the simple side, with white tablecloths, and china that looks like something from Wedgwood. I'm going with something more like Old Angler's Inn.

• Like 1

Here was my thinking: the restaurant is clearly trying to be an upscale place with the white tablecloths and tableware and glassware.  Yet, the food/plating didn't quite measure up to that. From her posts, I knew that bookluvingbabe lives in upper Montgomery County, so I thought about what venue(s) would fit the above description in that area, and the Comus Inn came to mind.  I googled it on Yelp to see the pictures and sure enough, the plates matched!  

• Like 3

Where did I dine? (It was REALLY good.)

I've been through every ramen house in the DC area, mentally, and every one except for two (Gaijin and Momofuku), physically, and I don't know where this is. Sakuramen doesn't pile their bowls up this high, at least not that I know of. I still haven't had the ramen at Sushi Taro, but this looks way too crude for them (these vegetables are in a primitive state).

Let me ask a stupid question: Is this even ramen?

Caphe Banh Mi.

No, but good guess since that is near where I work :)  If by tomorrow morning no one has guessed, I will throw out a clue.  I really thought the cat on the spoon was cute, I should have taken the picture the other way so you could see it better.

No, but good guess since that is near where I work :)  If by tomorrow morning no one has guessed, I will throw out a clue.  I really thought the cat on the spoon was cute, I should have taken the picture the other way so you could see it better.

When you said "cat on the spoon," I thought "Maneki-Neko!" but it isn't. I didn't notice the design on the spoon was a cat, and I'd be surprised if others did (did anybody?)

As for the soup, I'm in the Far East, but I can't even get the country. As I typed that last sentence, I remembered that I've confused Far East and Latin America on this thread in the past - but I see what appears to be a bean sprout (just to the left of the pickled onion on the right side of the picture), oh and I guess the chopsticks might be a clue as well, so I'm leaning Vietnamese. It almost looks like an upscale riff on Pho, but it's far enough away from a traditional Pho where I can't say that for sure.

That's a very fibrous cut of meat.

You could use those scallions as blackjacks and kill somebody with them.

This is one of the most confounding riddles for me yet, because it looks like it should be *so easy* ... but it's not.

Funniest thing of all: David Chang is reading this thread, thinking, 'This guy doesn't know dick.'

Daikaya?

I'm not saying no, but I went through every DC-area ramen house pretty thoughtfully, and the closest I came was Sakuramen, and that's only because of the placemats - I didn't guess it because it doesn't look like Sakuramen (where, incidentally, I've only been once).

Ive definitely seen those utensils before. Its not Daikaya. Ive had the ramen at Baby Wale and I cant recall if thats the table settings, it doesnt look like it. Actually, I think this is the ramen in the basement of that Dupont Circle place on M st next to Bubs and Pops

Ive definitely seen those utensils before. Its not Daikaya. Ive had the ramen at Baby Wale and I cant recall if thats the table settings, it doesnt look like it. Actually, I think this is the ramen in the basement of that Dupont Circle place on M st next to Bubs and Pops

I had the ramen last time I was at Baby Wale, and I didn't even think about it (didn't think all *that* much of the ramen, either, although it was okay). That spoon is *exactly* something like Tom's wife would decorate with, but Tom wouldn't use uncut scallions like that. No matter where I turn, this broth doesn't look quite right.

Where did I dine (in Arlington)?

Nope. Pork shoulder and fries.

[by definition, I'm at an inherent advantage in this game since I spend more time on the website than anyone else (so I tend to see these posts sooner than others do). Because of this, I'm making an ongoing pact not to post any responses in the first 24 hours so others can have a fair chance (although with cheezepowder in the mix, I'm not sure it much matters). However, as of 10:55 PM this evening, this question is in danger of being answered! (And no, I don't know the answer - I'm not letting myself think about it this just yet. Gary, I'm glad you said it was pork shoulder because the olives had me thinking lamb, and I suspect I'm not alone.) Cheers, Rocks]

BTW, Katelin, was that soup actually ramen? What was it called, exactly - and is it on the regular menu?

Why shouldn't you answer? You're our version of the 1927 Yankees 1970 Orioles.

Was it the crumbled pistachios that gave it away?

I didn't want to end the game if folks were still working on guesses :).   Your eyes are better than mine because I didn't see crumbled pistachios in that picture.