porcupine

Where Did I Dine? A Photograph-Based Guessing Game

After posting a picture on facebook along with the title question, Rocks asked me to start a thread. Rules are simple: post a clear picture and ask the question. Here's the first one. People who know the answer from my fb post, keep mum, okay? thx

post-554-0-01727900-1357938028_thumb.jpg

After posting a picture on facebook along with the title question, Rocks asked me to start a thread. Rules are simple: post a clear picture and ask the question. Here's the first one. People who know the answer from my fb post, keep mum, okay? thx

attachicon.gifphoto.JPG

Thanks for starting this, and mum's the word! This is similar to leleboo's "Name The Ingredients" thread that petered out when she moved to Colorado. :(

I'm going to like this challenge, actually (I know the answer to this one - which is pretty tough).

Palena?

Hey can I chime in as an expert commentator from time to time?

(Palena's presentation wouldn't be this slapdash, not that there's anything wrong with slapdash; it's just not Palena.)

Thanks for starting this, and mum's the word! This is similar to leleboo's "Name The Ingredients" thread that petered out when she moved to Colorado. :(

I'm going to like this challenge, actually (I know the answer to this one - which is pretty tough).

Sure!

Rocks is right, it's a tough one. Hint: it's a good place for a quick nosh mid-afternoon, especially if you like a good cup of coffee.

Great idea for a topic!

Would have beaten Rocks to the same Palena response...had I gotten here before him. Which I didn't. Not the point. Not Palena not just because the presentation isn't as refined. Also not Palena because the ingredients, while appearing very tasty, aren't ones typically used at Palena. The pickles (and pepper, if that's a jalapeno or something under the pickles) look commercially procured. Like the meat, not brined or cured in house as Frank Ruta does even for the lower priced cafe part of Palena's business.

Now that I've just piled on supporting why the only courageous guesser above didn't likely nail it, can I contribute my own guess?

Sadly, I think not.

And this is especially gnawing at me with Porcupine's coffee reference! A "good cup of coffee." Hmmm, how high is Porcupine's bar for coffee, he wonders? As Porcupine thinks about it, is good typical of lots of coffee places or more of the better independents about which we've picked up posting activity in recent months?

Okay, okay, I'll venture a guess even though I'm 78% sure it'll be wrong.

Kafe Bohem. One can get a "good" (not great) cup of coffee there and they are attached to their Bistro Bohem restaurant so might be doing something like this even last time I was in a couple of weeks ago, it wasn't an option.

Sorry, thanks for playing... try again?

And this is especially gnawing at me with Porcupine's coffee reference! A "good cup of coffee." Hmmm, how high is Porcupine's bar for coffee, he wonders?

Pretty damn high. OK, this is a place for a great cup of coffee. And here's another hint: they do very well with another type of beverage.

Kafe Bohem. One can get a "good" (not great) cup of coffee there and they are attached to their Bistro Bohem restaurant so might be doing something like this even last time I was in a couple of weeks ago, it wasn't an option.

Sorry, thanks for playing... try again?

Try again!

Pretty damn high. OK, this is a place for a great cup of coffee. And here's another hint: they do very well with another type of beverage.

Try again!

Hmmm. that helps. Two spots come to mind:

- Society Fair

or

- Artifact in North Baltimore

Both of those places have top shelf coffee and some decent grub including sandwiches hot and cold.

Society Fair and Northside Social are both good guesses.

One more clue, then I'm logging off for the evening. You can get a great cup of coffee there, but not an espresso.

(Rocks, if anyone gets the answer before I log in in the morning, ring the bell, okay?)

(Palena's presentation wouldn't be this slapdash, not that there's anything wrong with slapdash; it's just not Palena.)

I only took that stab because I believe Porcupine has posted about Palena before :ph34r:

Ding! Ding! Ding!

Whoa! Kudos, Pat.

Hmmm. That was tough. Was about to say that the truly best spots around town for coffee don't do hot food like that. While I wouldn't put G&B in the topmost tier for coffee, they do serve some good joe. No bad sport here. Great challenge! And congrats to the ideator, implementor and winner!!

I only took that stab because I believe Porcupine has posted about Palena before :ph34r:

This is *exactly* what the vast majority of wine tasting friends are guilty of: they know each other's cellars, and their guesses are prejudiced towards what they think the server might own. There really *is* a parallel here, if you think about it for a moment.

Pardon me, but I have to post this.

Tougher still: Whose wine? What Wine?

Let's keep this thread going - it's fun! Elizabeth, that picture has 120 downloads, so people are interested in playing the game, I hope. I love it because it's going to really challenge me.

Okay, I put this on Twitter awhile back, and nobody answered: Where Did I Dine? (If you can't see the picture, follow @dcdining on Twitter below.) It's a tough one, but doable.

Mitsam

Yes sir! Mitsitam Cafe. This is one of numerous outstanding (and often hilarious) head masks right outside of the main entrance to the restaurant. I guess your clue here was the nature of the item, and the obviously outstanding craftsmanship that went into it. Great guess, Josh!

I can see this game isn't going to be easy. This very clearly looks like a dessert, but it also looks like straight cornbread - or could it be apple cake? With homemade vanilla ice cream, apple sorbet, mint, apple crumble, and caramel sauce?

Trummer's on Main?

No, not Trummer's. It is a desert, and it is almond cake.

Shoot, I had actually typed "almond" but erased it and typed "apple" because of the condiments - it also just didn't look quite "wet" enough to be made with almond paste.

This is going to need to be a group project if we're to have a prayer. I'm actually going by the china as much as the dessert - many places are doing an almond cake right now. This is homemade vanilla ice cream, and mint, right? The other three things could be apple sorbet, apple crumble, and apple-caramel sauce ... or not. In terms of the sorbet, pear would make more sense with an almond cake.