Where Did I Dine? A Photograph-Based Guessing Game

Qualia

Ding ding ding!

I followed a hand-pour Ethiopian Yirgacheffe with a hand-pour Ethiopian Sidamo, both drunk black, and the difference was incredible.

I then bought some Ethiopian Yirgacheffe beans, roasted that morning, and noticed a distinct change in flavor just *three* days later. Now, that *might* have been my lame coffeemaker, but I could absolutely taste a decline (and that's not an insult; it's a compliment).

This is the first truly great coffee I've had in a long, long time. If every coffee was this compelling and distinct, I would never use cream or sugar again.

• Like 1

The clue is, I liked the food here a lot more than Tom Sietsema did.

That leaves out Rasika and Jaleo. Next clue? :)

I should know this just from the clue, not the picture!

Do people want hints? I know what the restaurant is.

I'm a little surprised that folks have struggled so much with this.

The other picture has better production value.

They have a trio of crostini on their online bar menu within that orbit.

I agree there is better production value in your picture, but the plating is also much better. The earlier picture shows a haphazard dish created by someone following directions and not really caring. Moreover, the darker plate is a better background.

It seems that the picture you posted is not actually what is being served, so I would say it is not the better picture of the dish despite it being much prettier.

Not Earl's, incorrect on your assumption of not being a certain sandwich.

Hmmm. That helps narrow it down some but our horrn of all-cuisines plenty now means lots of spots that serve banh mi around. Fillings aren't visible not that that would help much. You're around Alexandria I think so....Caphe in Old Town?

Hmmm. That helps narrow it down some but our horrn of all-cuisines plenty now means lots of spots that serve banh mi around. Fillings aren't visible not that that would help much. You're around Alexandria I think so....Caphe in Old Town?

I work in Old Town, but I ate this where I live in Arlington.  The other clue is this establishment probably pays a higher rent than any other place serving just rice, noodles, pho and bahn mi in Arlington due to their location.

I work in Old Town, but I ate this where I live in Arlington.  The other clue is this establishment probably pays a higher rent than any other place serving just rice, noodles, pho and bahn mi in Arlington due to their location.  

Got it. Here's a hint:

Mr.-Bill-Oh-No-T-Shirts.jpg

Given I'm at best a guard versus power forward in this game, I'll just go for an assist and ask a question.

Octopus with a sweet potato purée and avocado?

Well if you were heading for the net you would've been good for 2 out of 3 points. Octopus and avocado are correct.

The dish as a whole was delicious, and the octopus was the most tender I've had in recent memory.

Well if you were heading for the net you would've been good for 2 out of 3 points. Octopus and avocado are correct.

The dish as a whole was delicious, and the octopus was the most tender I've had in recent memory.

Hmmm. There aren't many places around town that do octopus at all, let alone that well. It does look great in the photo. Can almost see the tenderness with the perfect amount of char.

Maybe not sophisticated enough on plating to be the work of Trabiocchi or Ruta and seems like a pretty generous portion. The plate, along with the food, do imply a higher-end restaurant though. So...I'm thinking 14th St area...Kapnos?

FishNook.

I have conferred with the judges and we can give you half credit. This octopus, grilled avocado, and green sauce is on the regular menu at Fishnet in Shaw. We took Tweaked's advice and stopped by for dinner before seeing the Mountain Goats at 9:30 Club last night.

• Like 2

I have conferred with the judges and we can give you half credit. This octopus, grilled avocado, and green sauce is on the regular menu at Fishnet in Shaw. We took Tweaked's advice and stopped by for dinner before seeing the Mountain Goats at 9:30 Club last night.

In retrospect, this was a much more obvious guess than Kapnos (Monday-morning quarterbacking here).

:P

We took Tweaked's advice and stopped by [Fishnet in Shaw] for dinner before seeing the Mountain Goats at 9:30 Club last night.

Ha! Weird...we did the exact same thing. My first time at Fishnet, third time seeing the Mountain Goats. The latter was outstanding, as always; the former was outstanding, as expected. You have good taste, my friend!

• Like 1

Ha! Weird...we did the exact same thing. My first time at Fishnet, third time seeing the Mountain Goats. The latter was outstanding, as always; the former was outstanding, as expected. You have good taste, my friend!

Say hi next time! I'm the bearded dude with black glasses with a very pregnant lady.  I've lost count of how many times we've seen the Mountain Goats now, but as my wife said last night, "John Darnielle never lets me down."  (Implying, I guess that sometimes I do?)

• Like 3

Say hi next time! I'm the bearded dude with black glasses with a very pregnant lady.  I've lost count of how many times we've seen the Mountain Goats now, but as my wife said last night, "John Darnielle never lets me down."  (Implying, I guess that sometimes I do?)

You two should PM each other - I suspect you've met.

You two should PM each other - I suspect you've met.

Oh I'm quite sure, at some point. From Josh's posts, it seems like we have the same haunts... This website rules.

I'll say this much: If you aren't right, you've made a pretty darned good guess because from what I remember, that's how they serve their spaetzle.

Same. Also, of the three German places I know best (Betlin, Mozart and Old Europe), I think Berlin is the only one with square plates.

It was fine. I haven't had enough German/Austrian cuisine to judge too critically. Schnitzel has never excited me too much. The bread basket was pretty good as was the potato salad. We passed by last month and noticed it was pretty full, but when we went last week it was nearly empty.