Where Did I Dine? A Photograph-Based Guessing Game

The canelé was decent but not extraordinary like the ones at BreadFurst are.

I *hate* spelling things wrong. :angry: Cannelle is French for cinnamon.

And you guys are killing me with dishes that have me conflating Latino and Asian cuisine. Your dish looks like fried yuca with chilis which I've never seen before, and the last time I mixed up the two regions, it turned out to be Southeast Asian, so I'm guessing it's some sort of fried root (it doesn't look fibrous enough to be yuca, and it might even be green inside; yet, it's triangular which yuca often is) that's at a moderately upscale Southeast Asian restaurant. I don't think I've ever seen anything quite like this dish, and it's an awfully large portion to be a side order. It also appears to be sitting in a metallic bowl tucked inside a fancy, undulating, ceramic vessel. Ocopa, no. Soi 38, no. Little Serow, no, but I'm not sure why not.

1) Is it yuca?

2) Is it a fried root?

3) Is it vegetable?

4) Is it Asian?

5) Is it Southeast Asian?

6) Is it Thip Khao again?

Okay, if we're gearing up for this game again, I'll start snapping some pictures going forward.

I *hate* spelling things wrong. :angry: Cannelle is French for cinnamon.

1) Is it yuca?

2) Is it a fried root?

3) Is it vegetable?

4) Is it Asian?

5) Is it Southeast Asian?

(I hate spelling things wrong, too.  And you know what?  The more I age, the more spelling mistakes I make.  Most of the time I catch them, but not always. Drives me nuts.)

Sheesh, Rocks, if I answer all these questions I'll give it away.

It's not a root.  It is fried.

The dish does look like a cross between Asian and South American so I am going to guess China Chilcano. 

Sorry, not China Chilcano.

One additional clue... oh heck, I won't give it yet, that'd be too easy.  :-)

So, it's not a root.  Is it fried cucumbers?

No.

Hmmm, if it isn't yuca, then I was thinking it was fried polenta or fried tofu, probably the tofu given the other things in the dish.  Seems like it has asparagus and chillies with it.  

No.

FWIW, I see scallions (and perhaps green chiles) instead of asparagus.

Yes (and no).

Tofu fries at Nooshi?

No.

If porcupine's picture isn't from Nooshi, I'll throw in a guess for Spices.

No.

Well, I've managed to stump cheesepowder!  OK, more clues: this place isn't in the DC area, but many of us have been there over the years, and it gets discussed often; as a matter of fact the topic's come up quite recently.  Here it is again:

post-554-0-79188400-1423744631_thumb.jpg

Peter Chang eggplant

Well, I've managed to stump cheesepowder!  OK, more clues: this place isn't in the DC area, but many of us have been there over the years, and it gets discussed often; as a matter of fact the topic's come up quite recently.  Here it is again:

No.

Are you saying that's a scallion, not a green chili, on the top-right?

This is extremely frustrating - it looks Szechuan to me.

Answer me this: Am I correct in saying it's not Zahav and not Ananda? I just cannot see this at either restaurant. I might guess Grace Garden except that hasn't come up recently. I don't see anything not in the DC area that has been discussed recently that this could be.

---

ETA: :angry:

You must have been typing this while Marty L. and I were posting, right?  Yes, that's a flattened green scallion top, not a green chili.

damnit, now I'm craving that dish.  Would it be crazy to drive to C-ville for lunch?

Typing and researching. Damn that does not look like eggplant - until I look at it knowing that it's eggplant, and then it does. I gotta admit: I wanted this one.

Where did I dine?

(The rotating photo thing is *really* annoying.)

post-2-0-91335800-1423776291_thumb.jpg

(Sorry, I don't know why my pictures are uploading sideways).

(The rotating photo thing is *really* annoying.)

Same reason mine do sometimes, and I don't know how to fix it.

When you take pictures with, e.g., an iPhone, the metadata (data about the picture) is stored in the picture file that you download/upload, and unless your settings are correct, it will "do what it thinks is right" - or something like that. It's an abject PITA because even when you pre-rotate the picture (to compensate), it *still* shows up wrong. I've been trying to get my Pho-to (get it?) to upload correctly for 30 minutes, and have finally decided it isn't worth it. And the most frustrating thing of all is that I haven't met anyone who knows how to explain the solution in a simple manner. For example, I wrote Invision earlier:

Hello,

You are quite correct in this not being an invision problem. The issue is that the photos have the orientation stored in the meta information and users tend to take photos incorrectly. So for example you will get people taking pictures with their phone rotated and their rotation switched off on their phone, so therefore the image thinks it is the correct way up.

I definitely appreciate the quick response, but it's of absolutely no help to me. I'm convinced that one of the characteristics of an intelligent person is being able to take a complex subject, and explain it in simple terms. Any intelligent people out there reading this?

FWIW, and this might fall into the category "superstitious behavior", I always get the photo onto my computer, then open it, and even if it looks right side up, I rotate it until it's right side up again, then close it (save the "changes").  It has never failed to load correctly after.  I have no idea why this works, or if it's total coincidence, or what, but hey, can't hurt to try.

FWIW, and this might fall into the category "superstitious behavior", I always get the photo onto my computer, then open it, and even if it looks right side up, I rotate it until it's right side up again, then close it (save the "changes").  It has never failed to load correctly after.  I have no idea why this works, or if it's total coincidence, or what, but hey, can't hurt to try.

Your editor could be changing and saving the metadata (one more time for the unwashed masses: metadata is "1) data about 2) data" - in this case, the second data is the photograph itself, represented in binary format; the metadata is the first data which contains information about the photograph itself (how it's rotated, etc.)). :)

Same reason mine do sometimes, and I don't know how to fix it.

When you take pictures with, e.g., an iPhone, the metadata (data about the picture) is stored in the picture file that you download/upload, and unless your settings are correct, it will "do what it thinks is right" - or something like that. It's an abject PITA because even when you pre-rotate the picture (to compensate), it *still* shows up wrong. I've been trying to get my Pho-to (get it?) to upload correctly for 30 minutes, and have finally decided it isn't worth it. And the most frustrating thing of all is that I haven't met anyone who knows how to explain the solution in a simple manner. For example, I wrote Invision earlier:

Hello,[/size]

You are quite correct in this not being an invision problem. The issue is that the photos have the orientation stored in the meta information and users tend to take photos incorrectly. So for example you will get people taking pictures with their phone rotated and their rotation switched off on their phone, so therefore the image thinks it is the correct way up.[/size]

I definitely appreciate the quick response, but it's of absolutely no help to me. I'm convinced that one of the characteristics of an intelligent person is being able to take a complex subject, and explain it in simple terms. Any intelligent people out there reading this?

This may have to do with Apple more than anything else. You can google all kinds of articles about how Apple's iOS wasn't coded to play nice either Android, Windows and other platforms when it comes to sharing correct data (exif or specific instructions as to how a photo should oriented or sized, etc). Apple, of course, claims it's the fault of the other platforms. I've had this problem simply emailing a photo to a Windows user from an iPad or iPhone. The problem tends to ebb and flow at times as updates come out. Suffice to say, Apple and the others know about this issue but probably drag their heels in addressing it in a misguided effort to encourage more customers to use their ecosystem.

I've experimented with some apps and plugins to help but generally more trouble than they are worth.

This may have to do with Apple more than anything else. You can google all kinds of articles about how Apple's iOS wasn't coded to play nice either Android, Windows and other platforms when it comes to sharing correct data (exif or specific instructions as to how a photo should oriented or sized, etc). Apple, of course, claims it's the fault of the other platforms. I've had this problem simply emailing a photo to a Windows user from an iPad or iPhone. The problem tends to ebb and flow at times as updates come out. Suffice to say, Apple and the others know about this issue but probably drag their heels in addressing it in a misguided effort to encourage more customers to use their ecosystem.

I've experimented with some apps and plugins to help but generally more trouble than they are worth.

I hate to piss on this party, but it would be nice if we could get this straightened out for everyone.

Is there any iPhone setting that can be made that, assuming you *don't rotate your phone* and take pictures vertically (like I did with my pho), that it will upload the same way? When I emailed the picture to my Chromebook, it looked fine, but then when I uploaded it, it rotated. The next time I do it, it'll probably be A-OK. Well, anyway, just know that this is not a problem with Invision, and we can all benefit from some neck-stretching exercises. Cheers, Rocks

I hate to piss on this party, but it would be nice if we could get this straightened out for everyone.

Is there any iPhone setting that can be made that, assuming you *don't rotate your phone* and take pictures vertically (like I did with my pho), that it will upload the same way? When I emailed the picture to my Chromebook, it looked fine, but then when I uploaded it, it rotated. The next time I do it, it'll probably be A-OK. Well, anyway, just know that this is not a problem with Invision, and we can all benefit from some neck-stretching exercises. Cheers, Rocks

While not 100% certain, I'm pretty sure this isn't an Invision issue. Different from the lack of formatting and link-embedding functionality for mobile devices. As you know, that is Invision.

And, P.S., Haven't a clue where you dined but looks pretty good if not over sauced as a wonderful pork shank was at a place I went in NY last night.

No (but not a bad first guess - pretty gutsy, actually) :). Let me give you a methodology that will help without giving any hints:

1) Identify the primary thing on the bottom.

2) Note the quality of the other the two items.

I had lunch at Trapezaria last month, and had rice served in the very...stylized way that your picture shows.  The vegetables on the side would be out of place though.

When we finished with this, there was literally nothing left on the plate.

Izakaya Seki.

Your comment about the stylized rice is fascinating because this restaurant is not one you would associate with "style" at all; yet, I can see rice being served like that at Trapezaria (or Indique, for that matter). It never occurred to me that the cylindrical shape was stylized, but I guess that in a way, it is (but not by design, not here).

The dish is vegan, and very well-known within a certain country (which doesn't mean the restaurant is of that country's ethnicity). Note the very dark-colored periphery, then go back to my hint, and also to my comment that Trapezaria was a good first guess. Also, what do you think of the carrots and broccoli?

Izakaya Seki.

Yes. The Aji Tataki was great last night, and definitely a conversation starter with nearby tables as we started crunching our way through the deep-fried carcass.

Your comment about the stylized rice is fascinating because this restaurant is not one you would associate with "style" at all; yet, I can see rice being served like that at Trapezaria (or Indique, for that matter). It never occurred to me that the cylindrical shape was stylized, but I guess that in a way, it is (but not by design, not here).

The dish is vegan, and very well-known within a certain country (which doesn't mean the restaurant is of that country's ethnicity). Note the very dark-colored periphery, then go back to my hint, and also to my comment that Trapezaria was a good first guess. Also, what do you think of the carrots and broccoli?

It looks to me like the main component is eggplant, and it reminded me of the Iman Baldi at Trapezaria.  Your literary clue suggests that Greek wasn't far off, though I think similar dishes are served through the Middle East as well. The carrots and broccoli throw me. It looks like food from 2 different restaurants on the same plate.

It looks to me like the main component is eggplant, and it reminded me of the Iman Baldi at Trapezaria.  Your literary clue suggests that Greek wasn't far off, though I think similar dishes are served through the Middle East as well. The carrots and broccoli throw me. It looks like food from 2 different restaurants on the same plate.

Very well done - you identified the dish which is Turkish in origin (Ferhat, where were you?)

The etymology of the name Ä°mam Bayildi (many places spell it with an "i") means, literally, "The Imam Fainted." I'll let you read the history yourselves, but no matter which version you believe, the name is hilarious (*) and well-worth knowing about.

The carrots and broccoli should throw you because they were cheap, frozen, throwaway vegetables that you'd find in the freezer case at Safeway on a bad day. The rice, despite the presentation, was nothing special either, and honestly, neither was the Imam Bayildi (it was very bland) - but I wanted people to learn about this dish. Apart from the Wikipedia link, here's some more discussion about the etymology on languagehat.com. I suspect this is a dish many people have seen on menus, and now they'll never forget the name (an Imam is a Muslim religious cleric) - this is, or should be, a purely vegan dish although by no means low in calories.

I was going to say something linking this with zaytinya (lower-case "z") which simply means "olive oil", but that would have been cruel. :)

I referenced Troilus and Cressida because there are two countries at war in that play (Troy is part of modern-day Turkey), and warring countries will often pillage the others' cuisines, adopting them as their own.

As a final hint, and this is a big one, the restaurant is on this list.

(*) For a similar apocryphal etymology, see Hí¼nkar BeÄŸendi ("The Sultan Liked It," sometimes translated as "Sultan's Delight.")
  • Like 1

Very well done - you identified the dish which is Turkish in origin (Ferhat, where were you?)

The etymology of the name Ä°mam Bayildi (many places spell it with an "i") means, literally, "The Imam Fainted." I'll let you read the history yourselves, but no matter which version you believe, the name is hilarious (*) and well-worth knowing about.

The carrots and broccoli should throw you because they were cheap, frozen, throwaway vegetables that you'd find in the freezer case at Safeway on a bad day. The rice, despite the presentation, was nothing special either, and honestly, neither was the Imam Bayildi (it was very bland) - but I wanted people to learn about this dish. Apart from the Wikipedia link, here's some more discussion about the etymology on languagehat.com. I suspect this is a dish many people have seen on menus, and now they'll never forget the name (an Imam is a Muslim religious cleric) - this is, or should be, a purely vegan dish although by no means low in calories.

I was going to say something linking this with zaytinya (lower-case "z") which simply means "olive oil", but that would have been cruel. :)

I referenced Troilus and Cressida because there are two countries at war in that play (Troy is part of modern-day Turkey), and warring countries will often pillage the others' cuisines, adopting them as their own.

As a final hint, and this is a big one, the restaurant is on this list.

(*) For a similar apocryphal etymology, see Hí¼nkar BeÄŸendi ("The Sultan Liked It," sometimes translated as "Sultan's Delight.")

Great background. Really fun and interesting.

Mama Ayesha's? Helen's favorite dish there perhaps?

Great background. Really fun and interesting.

Mama Ayesha's? Helen's favorite dish there perhaps?

Actually, that's a great guess, but I don't expect anyone to get the restaurant without a lot of help.

It's a Greek-owned restaurant - hence the Troilus and Cressida Turkish-Greek hint.

The founder worked in the grocery store.

I adore people who named those dishes such as `imam bayildi, hunker begendi`. I honestly did not pay attention after seeing the store bought baby carrots and broccoli.

Using pine nuts is also not a common thing in this dish.

Can Y. should contribute with his hilarious writing skills and humor to the naming of Turkish dishes.

I adore people who named those dishes such as `imam bayildi, hunker begendi`. I honestly did not pay attention after seeing the store bought baby carrots and broccoli.

Using pine nuts is also not a common thing in this dish.

Can Y. should contribute with his hilarious writing skills and humor to the naming of Turkish dishes.

Indeed.

And. The Founder. Worked. In. The. Grocery Store.

And the restaurant is ... ?