Bars (The Actual Bar Tops)

I just recommended Artie's to a friend needing a place near Vienna for a diverse mix of people to get hammered on a Saturday afternoon, then my mind quickly shifted from the bar at Artie's (which is a fascinating square) to the bar at Round Robin (which is a fascinating circle). These two bars (the bars themselves) are really lovely, and I was wondering what other people thought were the most attractive, interesting, or appealing bars in the area. I have several others in mind (Hudson is an example of one that closed), but I'd love to hear other people's favorites.

What are the nicest bars in the city, with alcohol selection and bartenders not taken into consideration, but perhaps considering the bar stools and immediate surroundings? And why do you find them appealing? I'd also love to hear some answers from bartenders, architects and designers in terms of design efficiency, proper spacing, quality of construction, etc. which will lend a Frank Lloyd Wright perspective ("That ugly thing is worth *how* much?!")

I hate to admit it but the main entrance bar at The Hamilton is very nice - it has an old-school feel with lots of dark wood and tile. I saw food coming out and was not tempted, but it's nice to sit and have a drink there when the place is not slammed. Feels historic, and classic.

I really like Central's bar. Long, roomy, comfy seats, has a nice mirror where you see pretty much everyone else. Brightly lit, not pretentious.

I guess POV's bar is distinctive. Styled as a sushi bar, with chairs instead of stools. The actual bar is a light source, very modern. Plus the Washington Monument looms larger than life in the window behind you. Dim and pretentious.

I hate to admit it but the main entrance bar at The Hamilton

In the 'hate to admit it' category, both bars at Molly Malone's are handsome, straightforward Cervera wood look. And comfortable (especially the stools). Lights are nice for the solo drinkers.

image696.jpg

image734.jpg

I too thought the bar setting at Hudson's was attractive, though with some dingy basic building/ ceiling tile elements that took away from a very attractive setting.

Now the bar at Ben's Next Door just knocks me out: supposedly 53 feet long. from google pics: https://www.google.com/maps?layer=c&z=17&sll=38.917148999999995,-77.028694&cid=-1715429103915042113&panoid=eNB6KOjrSTUaUyaTtLkrDQ&cbp=13,161.6239514946999,,0,0&q=bens+next+door&sa=X&ei=tFr4ULXLA8e30gGmsoH4DA&ved=0CKIBEKAf

I was contemplating that bar and considering if I started at one end with a cocktail and would have a 2nd cocktail at the next seat and so on...just how many seats down before I fell on my ass and passed out.

Very serious bar, IMHO

Fiola's bar somehow manages to be appropriately more casual than the one-level-lower dining room while still being entirely consistent with the restaurant's overall design. The bar's width (perfect for dinning or just drinking), number of seats and U design (allowing for two corners) also make it hugely practical and functional.

• Like 1

For my money, the best bar in the city is Quill in the Jefferson Hotel. With dark panelling and low ceilings It has an intimacy and a tranquility that are often lacking in bars located within restaurants, where conversations are often drowned out by the chatter and clatter of busy restaurants.

I find it awkward to eat and rest my arms at bars that have that edging. I don't know what it's called, but it's like molding along the edge of the bar that's raised.

I was also at a bar (don't remember which one) where the bartender warned us that the edge gradually sloped down so we shouldn't pull the drink too close towards the edge. We got the impression that there must have been a few accidents that led to that standard warning.

Off the Record, for the cozy underground vibe, the bar snacks and classy bartenders.

District of Pi, for having the digits of pi inlaid on the bar.

701 when there is live music on the weekend. Points for comfy club chairs.

Don't judge me...the bar at Philips on Maine Avenue. It's a long expanse of wood with solid, large bar stools and a great view of the water. Points for tour bus people watching.

Second floor of Clyde's gallery place. All that classic wood paneling feel of Ebbitt, easier at lunch.

Oya...the fire feature behind the bar and the georgous people who are there (excluding me).

Yep, I think that's the only bar in the city longer than Masa 14's.

I'm a LONG time lurker to this excellent board, but as the architect for both CENTRAL and BEN'S NEXT DOOR, I couldn't help but chime in with a little insight into BEN'S Bar. The building itself (1211 U Street) was the former home in the mid-thirties to the famous jazz pianist, Jelly Roll Morton. When the Ali family decided to expand, they wanted to pay homage to that history partly by replicating the size of the bar in that time period (I believe it was called The Blue Moon back then)

• Like 5

I'm a LONG time lurker to this excellent board, but as the architect for both CENTRAL and BEN'S NEXT DOOR, I couldn't help but chime in with a little insight into BEN'S Bar. The building itself (1211 U Street) was the former home in the mid-thirties to the famous jazz pianist, Jelly Roll Morton. When the Ali family decided to expand, they wanted to pay homage to that history partly by replicating the size of the bar in that time period (I believe it was called The Blue Moon back then)

...and I'd say you did a great job at Ben's next door. Walk in there...and i just wanted to belly up to the bar and order a drink. very attractive

This is about the coolest piece of restaurant-related trivia I have read on this board in a long time. Thanks for chiming in, and hope you de-lurk more often.

This is about the coolest piece of restaurant-related trivia I have read on this board in a long time. Thanks for chiming in, and hope you de-lurk more often.

HA! Thanks. 1211 U Street has a really fascinating history. Former Washington Bullet's Center Manute Bol also owner and operated it as The Spotlight Club in the 1980s.

hm....the bar length at Ben's Next Door is Manute Bolish in length. I wonder how many mini attractive, intimate, tiny Muggsy Bogues bars there are.

My basement - 1 so far.

The bar in the old Jenkin's Hill on Capitol Hill, now the Pour House - that was a REALLY long bar. I haven't been in the building in decades. Is it still there? Any chance it is longer than the others?